hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by munchar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You having a laugh? “Masterstroke” 😂
    Murphy on 10 minutes before Allan. SA on 71st minute & got Man of the match. Saints down to 10 men before half time. 100% SA should’ve been on at half time. The manager, as I said, plods on.

To answer other replies, I’ve nothing against our manager. But it’s a results driven game, & the squad he’s built, are very, very poor at getting them. So i repeat, it’s either his players aren’t good enough, his tactics aren’t good enough to win games, or both?
    Ironically his win record for a Hibs manager is exceptional

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    But it’s a results driven game, & the squad he’s built, are very, very poor at getting them.
    You heading to the cup final in just over a fortnight?

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    You heading to the cup final in just over a fortnight?
    Off course. Why wouldn’t I be?

Off course. Why wouldn’t I be?
    Just we needed to chain together some very good results to get there.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Just we needed to chain together some very good results to get there.
    Don’t see what the relevance is?
    I’ll support the team wherever they play & whoever the manager & players are, whether we’re playing well or terrible. It’s what proper supporters do is it not?
    I’m a Hibs supporter.
    The point of the post, and if you read it again, I’m saying we played well. Left the game delighted with the performance that’s been missing recently, but it seems pointing out deficiencies in our team isn’t allowed on here? Our performance in last seasons final & collapse in semi final, & also our recent league form is unacceptable. There’s no plan B. Happy to plod on until we have to start chasing the game. The manager has been very well backed & should be doing so much better than he is. Nobody can disagree with this?

I’ll support the team wherever they play & whoever the manager & players are, whether we’re playing well or terrible. It’s what proper supporters do is it not?
    I’m a Hibs supporter.
    The point of the post, and if you read it again, I’m saying we played well. Left the game delighted with the performance that’s been missing recently, but it seems pointing out deficiencies in our team isn’t allowed on here? Our performance in last seasons final & collapse in semi final, & also our recent league form is unacceptable. There’s no plan B. Happy to plod on until we have to start chasing the game. The manager has been very well backed & should be doing so much better than he is. Nobody can disagree with this?
    You said that the squad were very bad at getting results, I mentioned one manner in which case they have been good at getting results.

The other is Jack Ross's overall win record as Hibs manager which is pretty good.

Some people keep rabbiting on about our poor run, conveniently leaving out what was (arguably) our best performance of the season.

As it's all a matter of perspective, then how about considering an alternative take on things...

After being on top against Rangers at Ibrox, we had a player sent off with two thirds of the game still to play and eventually lost by one goal

We then had a very poor run of results, during which multiple players were missing, but the enforced break arguably helped us and I'd say we turned a corner with that semi final performance.

Following that, we lost a game to Ross County that we never looked like losing until we had two players stupidly red carded. On Saturday we finally beat St Johnstone after having two perfectly good goals chalked off and having dominated much of the game.

We then narrowly lost to Rangers... the team that have lost a grand total of one league game in the last fourteen months and just pumped Sparta Prague... due to a soft penalty in the 82nd minute after going toe to toe with them and neutralising their threat.

Now, if some people want to paint a different picture then that's their right, but I respectfully disagree.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 02-12-2021 at 05:08 PM.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    You having a laugh? “Masterstroke” 😂
    Murphy on 10 minutes before Allan. SA on 71st minute & got Man of the match. Saints down to 10 men before half time. 100% SA should’ve been on at half time. The manager, as I said, plods on.

To answer other replies, I’ve nothing against our manager. But it’s a results driven game, & the squad he’s built, are very, very poor at getting them. So i repeat, it’s either his players aren’t good enough, his tactics aren’t good enough to win games, or both?
    So JR gets no plaudits at all for making the subs, it was the subs that saved Jack Ross? Am I getting this right?

Dunno what’s so ridiculous about the match winner coming on before Scott Allan either?
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Correct - both teams were one good chance or slip away from winning/losing the match as we entered the final third of the game. We'd have settled for that scenario before kick-off I reckon?

Last night was a hard one to take but mainly because our performance deserved at least a point. We didn't get the breaks and chances like we did in the semi-final (likely owing to a more solid Rangers defensive display) but it was still a strong performance with positives to take going forward.

Don’t get me wrong, there were definitely positives to take from last night.

I’m liking this 3-5-2 shape and the players seem up for it. We really need some points on the board this month though.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Some people keep rabbiting on about our poor run, conveniently leaving out what was (arguably) our best performance of the season.

As it's all a matter of perspective, then how about considering an alternative take on things...

After being on top against Rangers at Ibrox, we had a player sent off with two thirds of the game still to play and eventually lost by one goal

We then had a very poor run of results, during which multiple players were missing, but the enforced break arguably helped us and I'd say we turned a corner with that semi final performance.

Following that, we lost a game to Ross County that we never looked like losing until we had two players stupidly red carded. On Saturday we finally beat St Johnstone after having two perfectly good goals chalked off and having dominated much of the game.

We then narrowly lost to Rangers... the team that have lost a grand total of one league game in the last fourteen months and just pumped Sparta Prague... due to a soft penalty in the 82nd minute after going toe to toe with them and neutralising their threat.

Now, if some people want to paint a different picture then that's their right, but I respectfully disagree.
    agree except the penalty was the 85th minute last night.

You said that the squad were very bad at getting results, I mentioned one manner in which case they have been good at getting results.

The other is Jack Ross's overall win record as Hibs manager which is pretty good.
    His overall record is very impressive. However, the “must win” games not so good. Really disappointing in the big cup games last couple of seasons. Some fans may be happy getting to semis & finals. Great day out, but need to do so much better in these when we have a chance to win trophies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    So JR gets no plaudits at all for making the subs, it was the subs that saved Jack Ross? Am I getting this right?

Dunno what’s so ridiculous about the match winner coming on before Scott Allan either?
    Yeah that’s right. Scott Allan involved in both goals. The argument he doesn’t do enough defensively was irrelevant as soon as Saints went down to 10, giving him the freedom to be creative without having to track back, yet we come out 2nd half as if it was still 11 v 11.
    I’ve not said anything any different throughout this post. We plod on instead of trying to force the issue & let players express themselves.

3 points for a win came in in when I was in my last year at secondary, so that’s a long time for coaches and analytics people to realise that gambling for the win is a valid strategy over the course of a season. There are plenty of folk of my generation and older who still seem to think a draws an average result, when it’s below average.

Yeah that’s right. Scott Allan involved in both goals. The argument he doesn’t do enough defensively was irrelevant as soon as Saints went down to 10, giving him the freedom to be creative without having to track back, yet we come out 2nd half as if it was still 11 v 11.
    I’ve not said anything any different throughout this post. We plod on instead of trying to force the issue & let players express themselves.
    We were dominating the match. We were forcing the issue. It just so happens the players who made the difference came off the bench. Both substitutes more than played their part but it’s a team game.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

I'd have been happy with a draw.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    3 points for a win came in in when I was in my last year at secondary, so that’s a long time for coaches and analytics people to realise that gambling for the win is a valid strategy over the course of a season. There are plenty of folk of my generation and older who still seem to think a draws an average result, when it’s below average.
    Should go back to 2 for a win and 1 for a draw. I’d add a wee caveat of brussel sprout for a goalless draw. That might open teams up a bit. Goals the name of the game.

We were dominating the match. We were forcing the issue. It just so happens the players who made the difference came off the bench. Both substitutes more than played their part but it’s a team game.
    Were you at the game? Only asking, as when watching live, you can see the game developing. Surely the opportunity to play with more creativity when 1 down against 10 men is a no brainer?
    Folk here saying we were dominating the game, but we were still losing!

Made the subs with 30 mins and 20 mins to go allowing both players a chance to affect the game, last night they came on with 5 mins to go, no time to do anything.
    So plaudits against St Johnstone but not so much last night, that's how it works.

Were you at the game? Only asking, as when watching live, you can see the game developing. Surely the opportunity to play with more creativity when 1 down against 10 men is a no brainer?
    Folk here saying we were dominating the game, but we were still losing!
    I think you’re mischief making looking for reactions. You’ve come out with some nonsense on this thread. You can dominate a game and still be losing. It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    I think you’re mischief making looking for reactions. You’ve come out with some nonsense on this thread. You can dominate a game and still be losing. It happens.
    What nonsense have I came out with?

If your losing a game your dominating, is it unlucky or bad play? Seemingly we shouldn’t have lost last night or to Ross County, but we did?

What nonsense have I came out with?

If your losing a game your dominating, is it unlucky or bad play? Seemingly we shouldn’t have lost last night or to Ross County, but we did?
    Not this bad play v luck ***** again.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I'd have been happy with a draw.
    In reality it could be looked at as a free hit, so there is no reason to not have a go for the win.

We should always have a go at home against the Old Firm.

Hibsbollah made a very good point about 3 points for a win, it is worth the gamble having a go. Attack is the best form of defence and all that.

There's also the idea that the changes might have helped us earn the draw.

Rangers made changes and appeared to seize the initiative a bit.

If we'd put on Allan and/ or Murphy then we'd have given them something different to think about defensively. We might not necessarily have scored or won but we might have forced another change of approach from Rangers - who had made changes themselves with a view to winning the game.

It might have just sown a bit of doubt or made them make another change, such as dropping deeper still to ensure Allan didn't spring Boyle in behind, or employing someone tight on Allan to stop him playing those passes thus leaving space that could be exploited elsewhere.

We'll never know - we stuck with what we had and we lost. I get folk saying that we were doing fine but it's a wee bit "the operation was a success but the patient died" again.

I’m a Hibs supporter.
    I think it's clear to many on this forum that the Summer Transfer Window was a disaster. We've not recruited enough players and some of those recruited before that haven't been of enough quality. Does one honestly believe that our manager was happy with his squad at the end of the transfer window? They might make positive comments in public, but Jack Ross would know that we were seriously under resourced for the season ahead.

Last night, we were able to match The Rangers because those on the pitch had the energy and willingness to match the oppositions forward runs. There was no-one on the bench on Wednesday night that could have come on and matched their workrate. Whilst bringing on Murphy and Allan worked against a Saints team that was bedded in for the second half, doing so against The Rangers would have been handing the initiative to them from the second that they arrived on the pitch. Yes, we could have had a more creative spark, but no-one knows that for sure. As others have said, I was happy with how we played up to the 84th minute. Yes, I felt Jack Ross needed to make a sub, but he didn't have the right type of player to bring on.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Made the subs with 30 mins and 20 mins to go allowing both players a chance to affect the game, last night they came on with 5 mins to go, no time to do anything.
    So plaudits against St Johnstone but not so much last night, that's how it works.

We were 1-0 down against St Johnstone despite dominating the game, so the subs were undoubtedly a good idea. There was very little danger that the change could potentially have worked in the opposition's favour.

Up until the 82nd minute, were were equally balanced against Rangers, with the players and the way they were set up pretty much nullifying any threat.

There was a possibility that making the subs could have changed the game in our favour, but also a very strong possibility it could have gone the other way.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 03-12-2021 at 07:12 AM.

We were 1-0 down against St Johnstone despite dominating the game, so the subs were undoubtedly a good idea. There was very little danger that the change could potentially have worked in the opposition's favour.

Up until the 82nd minute, were were equally balanced against Rangers, with the players and the way they were set up pretty much nullifying any threat.

There was a possibility that making the subs could have changed the game in our favour, but also a very strong possibility it could have gone the other way.
    So if there was no danger in making changes at Saints, why wait until 71 minutes to bring SA on?
    Rangers made positive changes trying to win the game. Your saying we shouldn’t have made subs “incase” it cost us. Well we never, & it still cost us. Throwing Murphy & Boyle on in 86th minute was ridiculous. If we continue with the keep it tight mentality, we won’t win many games, or be trying to grind out 1-0 wins. Fans want to be entertained. They won’t come to watch negative football.

Left by mutual consent!
    We have a pessimistic manager and reading a number of the posts on this thread, we appear to have a number of pessimistic fans.

Game was there to be won, have a go, bring on the attacking players.

So if there was no danger in making changes at Saints, why wait until 71 minutes to bring SA on?
    Rangers made positive changes trying to win the game. Your saying we shouldn’t have made subs “incase” it cost us. Well we never, & it still cost us. Throwing Murphy & Boyle on in 86th minute was ridiculous. If we continue with the keep it tight mentality, we won’t win many games, or be trying to grind out 1-0 wins. Fans want to be entertained. They won’t come to watch negative football.

Wow, now you're claiming Ross was too slow to make the changes on saturday despite the fact it worked out perfectly for us!

You need to get a different hobby, cos' trolling isn't really your game.

Wow, now you're claiming Ross was too slow to make the changes on saturday despite the fact it worked out perfectly for us!

You need to get a different hobby, cos' trolling isn't really your game.
    What are you talking about? You obviously know nothing about football. Your claiming there was no danger in making a sub in Saturday, but even against 10 men, he wouldn’t make changes till late in the game. He then chucks players on with 4 minutes to go expecting them to make an impact!!
    You don’t think that’s negative tactics?

Quote Originally Posted by 90274 View Post
    We have a pessimistic manager and reading a number of the posts on this thread, we appear to have a number of pessimistic fans.

Game was there to be won, have a go, bring on the attacking players.
    Bring on the attacking players, potentially compromising the good work of the team over the 80 minutes or so gone as we have to either change the shape to accommodate them or lose some of the midfield chasing that served us well in the game.

What would you have said if he had brought Scott Allan on and we lost 2/3 nil?

Sir Alex Ferguson