hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disappointing

Testimonial Due

Disappointing

Seems such a sensible young man to:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/crime/hibs-star-joe-newell-banned-from-roads-for-drink-driving-three-times-over-the-limit-3478538

2. Log in to remove the advert

Felt like it affected his performance tonight. Seemed so off the pace. Can't believe ross played him after that. I think hes been off form for quite some time but sadly ross won't drop him.
    Also so stupid of him to do it.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyle89 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Felt like it affected his performance tonight. Seemed so off the pace. Can't believe ross played him after that. I think hes been off form for quite some time but sadly ross won't drop him.
    Funny I thought he was great, as was JDH.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Disappointing a Hibs fan feels the need to publicise his misdemeanour in a stand alone post. He’s been punished so leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Other than his burst in to the box at the throw in I can't think of much that he did. Gave away cheap fouls, players ran beyond him all night. Worst of the midfield 3 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    Seems such a sensible young man to:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...-limit-3478538
    Two mitigating factors; first, hes in a very rural location, second, he's caught according to the cops he's driving at a 'very slow speed'. A stupid mistake but its not reckless or endangering life. Pitchforks away please.

First Team Breakthrough
    Other than his burst in to the box at the throw in I can't think of much that he did. Gave away cheap fouls, players ran beyond him all night. Worst of the midfield 3 for me.
    Okay then.Clearly not a Joe Newell fan.I get he can be a frustrating player at times but he didn’t play badly tonight and the match sponsor gave him MOM.That said woluld have given it to Porto myself.And yes he is an arse for being done for Drink driving.

Really poor behaviour and very fortunate that the consequences were not much more disastrous.

Driving with that amount of alcohol in your system is totally inexcusable and I'm sure the club's read him the riot act.

Hopefully there will be no repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by CB Hibs 68 View Post
    Okay then.Clearly not a Joe Newell fan.I get he can be a frustrating player at times but he didn’t play badly tonight and the match sponsor gave him MOM.That said woluld have given it to Porto myself.And yes he is an arse for being done for Drink driving.
    Nothing to do with not being a newell fan I just don't think he was at it tonight and hasn't been for a while. Felt jdh broke up play more and used the ball better than jn. Also thought jc played better than jn. Sponsors motm can be a crap shoot at the best of times. Even after giving away the pen I would've given it to porto.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    me too...when those two were on the ball I felt comfortable that something consistent and positive would happen and it did

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Two mitigating factors; first, hes in a very rural location, second, he's caught according to the cops he's driving at a 'very slow speed'. A stupid mistake but its not reckless or endangering life. Pitchforks away please.
    All drink driving is reckless and endangering life.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Thought he played well last night getting in their faces and being a pest not his usual namby pamby flouncy disappearing act

Unlucky with run into the box good play by Goldson

Unacceptable anti social behaviour on his part no excuses really

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Disappointing a Hibs fan feels the need to publicise his misdemeanour in a stand alone post. He’s been punished so leave it at that.
    Its his own fault to be honest. Anyways, I thought he played well last night.

Very rural ? I wouldn’t say that’s the case and it’s certainly not the story I heard when I found out about it a couple of weeks ago.

Rural or not, he’s been an ********. But he’s been dealt with by the courts so lets leave it at that.
    Last edited by NC1875; 02-12-2021 at 06:13 AM.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I agree with the sponsor and thought he was Hibs’ man of the match.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    All drink driving is reckless and endangering life.
    Its daft to suggest two drink driving offences are the same. Look up Henry Ruggs and compare with Newell.

Quote Originally Posted by NC1875 View Post
    Very rural ? I wouldn’t say that’s the case and it’s certainly not the story I heard when I found out about it a couple of weeks ago.

Rural or not, he’s been an ********. But he’s been dealt with by the courts so lets leave it at that.
    Does he not stay in Wallyford? Not sure I'd class that as "very rural". It's about 8 miles from Edinburgh city centre.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Does he not stay in Wallyford? Not sure I'd class that as "very rural". It's about 8 miles from Edinburgh city centre.
    Yup, and was actually leaving Wallyford Miners Club which makes it even more stupid when he could’ve walked to anywhere in Wallyford in 15 mins.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Was Hibs best player last night. Sponsors got it spot on.

I’m not too impressed with the drink driving charge though.

Its daft to suggest two drink driving offences are the same. Look up Henry Ruggs and compare with Newell.
    You can't defend the inexcusable. Over the limit is over the limit.

Credit to him for his performance last night though.

It's very poor behaviour and hopefully he learns a lesson.

The media love to sensationalise these things though. 'Hibs Star was 3 times the drink driving limit' reads worse than 'Hibs player had a couple of pints then drove 3 hours later'.

In this case both could be equally true but the former makes for a snappier headline.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Thought he played very well. The The have a strong midfield 3 with more on the bench. He matched up to them.

He was dominating the second half until someone thought it was a good idea to chuck on a flare, stop the game and damage the pitch!

I don't think they endanger the same number of people, but it still does endanger other motorists. I mean, anyone can come down any road at any time.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Booked4Being-Ugly View Post
    Was Hibs best player last night. Sponsors got it spot on.

I’m not too impressed with the drink driving charge though.
    That’s my take on it. Newell was outstanding last night in a very congested midfield. Covered the park, broke up play, found his own players and got in the face of the opposition. My man of the match for sure.

Nothing to say that can justify the driving offence though. Very foolish and hope it’s a lesson learned.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Yes. It’s already been aired on here. Why drag it up again this morning? Maybe losing last night might have something to do with it? I thought he had a very good game last night.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    There are no excuses. You don't drink and drive.

He had a great game.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    There are no excuses. You don't drink and drive.
    I think you’re confusing ‘excusing’ and ‘mitigating’, which is the word I actually used.

edinburghlive

what a shocking and totally misleading headline from edinburghlive online and I hope hibs and Joe Newell take steps to have it rectified

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/hibs-star-joe-newell-three-22332200

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    It's very poor behaviour and hopefully he learns a lesson.

The media love to sensationalise these things though. 'Hibs Star was 3 times the drink driving limit' reads worse than 'Hibs player had a couple of pints then drove 3 hours later'.

In this case both could be equally true but the former makes for a snappier headline.
    I think when I passed my test, three times over the limit meant six pints. Now, depending on blood sugar concentration, it can mean less than half that. Obviously the easiest thing is just never to drink anything, including avoiding driving the morning after, which is something I think happens a lot.