hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: That Flare

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He accidentally bought it and accidentally took it into the stadium then accidentally set it off.
    Reminds of the recent events when somebody just happened to find a coconut on the way to Tynie and accidently threw it on the pitch. Same limited IQ.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Noticed no ones yet mentioned the Rangers smoke bomb/flare or whatever you want to call it thrown onto the pitch just missing Macey, far more dangerous.

Did they have strobes as well?

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Noticed no ones yet mentioned the Rangers smoke bomb/flare or whatever you want to call it thrown onto the pitch just missing Macey, far more dangerous.

It's mentioned multiple times in this thread, including in the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post

It's mentioned multiple times in this thread, including in the OP.
    Apologies missed that 👍

@hibs.net private member
    Think you’ll find mention of that in the original post. However it was mentioned intentionally not to sound like whataboutery

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    Think you’ll find mention of that in the original post. However it was mentioned intentionally not to sound like whataboutery

Think you'll find I apologised in the post above because I had misread the OP.

@hibs.net private member
    Think you'll find I apologised in the post above because I had misread the OP.
    My apologies I didn’t see that but I did write the original post and was a little quick to defend its accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    My apologies I didn’t see that but I did write the original post and was a little quick to defend its accuracy.

I’m starting to lean towards the theory that the best way to get rid of the smoke bombs is to actually permit their use in a safe, risk assessed manner as is the case in the MLS. They’re being thrown because they are well aware of the consequences if they are caught with them - the novelty will soon wear off once it’s no longer considered ‘edgy’ to have one. They’re a regular occurrence at games down here (several a game in some cases) and are quite often brought in by U16s because they aren’t allowed to be searched.

Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    I’m starting to lean towards the theory that the best way to get rid of the smoke bombs is to actually permit their use in a safe, risk assessed manner as is the case in the MLS. They’re being thrown because they are well aware of the consequences if they are caught with them - the novelty will soon wear off once it’s no longer considered ‘edgy’ to have one. They’re a regular occurrence at games down here (several a game in some cases) and are quite often brought in by U16s because they aren’t allowed to be searched.
    Or they could use the cctv to work out who it was, ban them then post on social media that who did was banned, to act as a deterrent for others.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Or they could use the cctv to work out who it was, ban them then post on social media that who did was banned, to act as a deterrent for others.
    Probably wouldn’t work. I’d imagine there’s been a few banned before for the use of flares but still doesn’t seem to stop people

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Probably wouldn’t work. I’d imagine there’s been a few banned before for the use of flares but still doesn’t seem to stop people
    You imagine but you don't actually know whether any have or haven’t. That supports my theory that they should put it on social media every time someone is banned for it, then there wouldn't be any doubt or need to guess about what, if anything, happened. Because we never hear about it then some might take the opposite view to you and think the culprit got away with it so it's okay to do it too. It would work better as a deterrent than not saying anything at all about it.

Are flared not just the most pointless thing ever

Like it’s smoke, very pretty, not for stopping a football game

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    This won’t be a popular opinion, but as for the numerous flares in the South Stand as the teams emerged, I thought they looked great.

I get all the safety aspects and what not but simply as a spectacle , I have to admit I grudgingly admired it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    It seemed to be smoking for a short time before being thrown - I wonder if whoever ignited it panicked and instinctively threw it away? Maybe even went off accidentally?

It was a strange time to decide to let one off and definitely took the sting out of what had been a promising spell for us.
    Pity it didn't go off accidently when it was stuck down his Kalvin Kleins...