hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Atmosphere

Quote Originally Posted by ABZHFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    FF lower, all standing, unreserved spaces - sell heavily discounted season tickets and £15 match tickets. You'd have it full most weeks
    You'd also likely bankrupt the club if you effectively halved the price of season ticket. Unless you are suggesting discounted only for FF lower which would never happen.

Also, unreserved spaces even with rail seats is not permitted.

2. Log in to remove the advert

FF lower, all standing, unreserved spaces - sell heavily discounted season tickets and £15 match tickets. You'd have it full most weeks

Do you mean reduced prices for FF Lower only or for the whole stadium?

@hibs.net private member
    If we reduce the value of a ticket for an area in the FFL would we not then have to do similar in the south (I.e. away fans). Sure there is a rule in there somewhere.

For me it's 100% down to what's on the park, look back at the last 7 or 8 years and crowds were way up when we played good attractive attacking football, we rarely do that now !

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    I agree, I am West Upper at the same end - shame so many of their songs are about hating catholics or the IRA though......................tossers.
    And their rendition of We'll be coming down the road, delete words and replace with the UDA volunteers..... Utter utter szcum.

I loathe every part of that lot.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by the tornadoe View Post
    For me it's 100% down to what's on the park, look back at the last 7 or 8 years and crowds were way up when we played good attractive attacking football, we rarely do that now !

The thing is, if you go back to before we won the Scottish Cup, the crowds were generally around where they are just now, or even lower.

We definitely got a boost from that win, promotion the following season, then having a really exciting first season back in the premier league. I wondered during those three seasons or so how long that would last and (IMO) it seems to have finally ended.

What the club really need to do now is to evaluate how they can get that feeling back again, and encourage more fans back to ER. There's no simple fix, though, and I don't envy them the challenge.

I'd imagine winning the League Cup would help a lot, along with strengthening the squad in January.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    You'd also likely bankrupt the club if you effectively halved the price of season ticket. Unless you are suggesting discounted only for FF lower which would never happen.

I thought the sheep were doing unreserved seating for their area behind the goals. I quite like the idea of having cheaper season tickets in the famous five lower in order to pack it out each game, half price would be to much but maybe £25 a ticket and the equivalent discount for season tickets would be a great idea.

United we stand here....

The high walk up prices are to try and drive people towards buying season tickets. As a business strategy it's all about making pay as you go as unappealing as possible, it's a risky one though.

My ST was £385 at early bird price and would have been £405 had I waited. That works out at, on an even split of 19 home and away game which doesn't always happen, £20.26 or £21.31 per game respectively. By comparison if I attended 13 Cat B matches and 6 Cat A matches (assuming top 6 and an even 19 game split again) as a walk up I would pay a total of £536 or an average of £28.21 per game.

I've argued for some time that clubs want increasing financial commitments from their support base. Attending games is simply no longer enough from a business perspective. Buying a ST is the best way to support your club, then there is pressure to pay into HSL, FOH, AberDNA, the Well Society etc etc, some kind of membership scheme at Hibs is an inevitability now and of course the real fans must have their NFTs too. The latter is obviously being facetious but the point stands, fans are plugging all kinds of financial shortfalls due to the collective failure of Scottish football as a product. I think part of the drive towards STs is the transfer windows. In years gone by clubs could buy players whenever so there wasn't the same pressure to add to a wage bill and potentially shell out transfer fees in one summer period. Budgets have to be set and ST income plays a big part in that at our level.

I said at the start it's a risky strategy though because if fans don't like what they see on the park they will vote with their feet. Variation in attendance is more nuanced than that, especially in the current climate, but performance is still almost certainly the biggest driver for all but the hardcore who will attend regardless. I think the last few years has proven that sits at between 7 and 9K for us as a club.

Hibs need to find a balance that retains the benefits of the ST but doesn't alienate those who can't or won't commit to one. My sister is a semi regular walk up, she didn't go last night because £33 was too much at this time of year. If there is a belief in the Hibs boardroom that making the 'match day experience' better will encourage people to stump up £30+ for games regularly then i think they will discover soon that they are a bit delusional. Our football culture is such that the game is the most important thing. We aren't college football fans who are there to see brass bands, have tailgate barbecues and spend more time away from our seats than we do in them. Better catering, tarted up concourses and big screens are all nice extras but it wouldn't be the driver for me to commit to a ST with a hugely inflated price next year, an entertaining team on the park would.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I thought the sheep were doing unreserved seating for their area behind the goals. I quite like the idea of having cheaper season tickets in the famous five lower in order to pack it out each game, half price would be to much but maybe £25 a ticket and the equivalent discount for season tickets would be a great idea.

Then you'll have two new problems:

1) Loads of people in other parts of the stadium will complain they're paying more

2) We'll have to charge the same in the away end (I think that's an SPFL rule), meaning visiting fans will be charged less than most home fans.

I think the club would have to be very creative in how they did something like that,to get round those two issues.

FWIW, Aberdeen wouldn't have this problem, as there's no other part of the stadium exactly equivalent to their 'shed' end.

Quote Originally Posted by the tornadoe View Post
    7 or 8 years ago we used to have about 8000 at half the games. We play good football. Attacking and defending.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I do believe the pandemic to be the key factor. Lots of people find money tighter whether through inflation or wage cuts/stagnation and also Weber been in this setting for that long after over a year out of it. Once a habit is broken it’s very tough to get people back into it.

A cup win may see a boost again but nothing like the feel good bounce off 2016.
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 02-12-2021 at 11:21 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Then you'll have two new problems:

1) Loads of people in other parts of the stadium will complain they're paying more

2) We'll have to charge the same in the away end (I think that's an SPFL rule), meaning visiting fans will be charged less than most home fans.

I think the club would have to be very creative in how they did something like that,to get round those two issues.

FWIW, Aberdeen wouldn't have this problem, as there's no other part of the stadium exactly equivalent to their 'shed' end.
    Wouldn't be same as ffl would be standing, south lower seated

Left by mutual consent!

Motherwell gave every season ticket holder from 2020-21 a free season ticket this season, this idea it would bankrupt our club is a total nonsense

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Motherwell gave every season ticket holder from 2020-21 a free season ticket this season, this idea it would bankrupt our club is a total nonsense
    How has that affected them financially?

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Motherwell also dropped their prices substantially in the John Boyle years.

They went into administration.

Left by mutual consent!
    What proportion of ticket sales makes up overall revenue for Hibs and other clubs in Scotland?

What is the proportion of TV revenue. Wondering how far away the TV deal in Scotland is from drowning out Ticket Sales like in England.

Hibs can't make that much money from home walk up sales this season, they seem really low.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Motherwell also dropped their prices substantially in the John Boyle years.

They went into administration.
    That may well have been the case then, but there has to be a middle ground where prices aren’t too high without causing much adverse financial impact on the club. Many clubs in Germany seem to get this right. £35 for a game like last night is too high.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I do believe the pandemic to be the key factor. Lots of people find money tighter weather through inflation or wage cuts/stagnation and also Weber been in this setting for that long after over a year out of it. Once a habit is broken it’s very tough to get people back into it.

A cup win may see a boost again but nothing like the feel good bounce off 2016.
    I thought nobody was going to mention it. Coronavirus is still a huge part of how we live our lives and is undoubtedly still having an effect on people's decision to attend the football, particularly for those that need to travel to go to games.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwhibs View Post
    That may well have been the case then, but there has to be a middle ground where prices aren’t too high without causing much adverse financial impact on the club. Many clubs in Germany seem to get this right. £35 for a game like last night is too high.
    Especially when it's on TV.

@hibs.net private member
    All these comments have their merits but the overall factor is that the football isn't good. There is little to shout about.

Defeat after defeat in the league is soul sapping, especially at home. From my point of view the January window is make or break, league wise.

Get it right and we can really get going for the rest of the season.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 90274 View Post
    What proportion of ticket sales makes up overall revenue for Hibs and other clubs in Scotland?

What is the proportion of TV revenue. Wondering how far away the TV deal in Scotland is from drowning out Ticket Sales like in England.

Hibs can't make that much money from home walk up sales this season, they seem really low.
    Hibs don't analyse their income.

Hearts do.....

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/uploads/t...30.11.2020.pdf Page 26.

In short, the gate is still the biggest single source of income, at roughly 45%.
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 02-12-2021 at 11:27 AM.

Promising Youngster Biffa Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Hibs need to find a balance that retains the benefits of the ST but doesn't alienate those who can't or won't commit to one. My sister is a semi regular walk up, she didn't go last night because £33 was too much at this time of year. If there is a belief in the Hibs boardroom that making the 'match day experience' better will encourage people to stump up £30+ for games regularly then i think they will discover soon that they are a bit delusional. Our football culture is such that the game is the most important thing. We aren't college football fans who are there to see brass bands, have tailgate barbecues and spend more time away from our seats than we do in them. Better catering, tarted up concourses and big screens are all nice extras but it wouldn't be the driver for me to commit to a ST with a hugely inflated price next year, an entertaining team on the park would.
    Nail on head

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Hibs don't analyse their income.

Hearts do.....

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/uploads/t...30.11.2020.pdf Page 26.

In short, still the biggest single source of income, at roughly 45%.
    Just shows you how important season ticket and ticket sales are to a club like Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by 90274 View Post
    Just shows you how important season ticket and ticket sales are to a club like Hibs.
    Yip.

If we were to start slashing season ticket and walk up prices the club would very quickly be in financial trouble. It's not a viable route to go down.

German clubs earn an astronomical amount from TV revenues. We don't.

They are not comparable. The latest German TV deal was worth 4.4 billion euros.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I’m in a prime spot in west upper in a hard to get hold of area for Season Tickets, but had almost half a row to myself and counted 20 odd empty seats in my vicinity, but all owned by ST holders.

Was similar for Celtic game so I guess a lot are just staying away to watch from comfort of home. The streaming of home matches for all home matches is obviously having an impact here. The sentiment in doing so is generous from Hibs, and welcomed I’m sure by those who are unable to attend due to shielding or isolating, but a lot seem to be just taking advantage of it to watch at home, which is their right to do of course.

Fair point re the TV money. However, I do think there are lessons to be learned in terms of making things more fan-focussed and affordable. As PB says above, it’s about a balancing act. We need to look at the bigger picture in terms of retaining fans, getting more fans in and feeling more part of the club, better atmospheres etc. I’m not saying slashing prices right down (and not while season tickets holders have paid a lot already) but £30 plus puts people off. If we want to be an inclusive club, which we are for many things, we also need to make it more affordable at games going forward.

Left by mutual consent!
    Fair point re the TV money. However, I do think there are lessons to be learned in terms of making things more fan-focussed and affordable. As PB says above, it’s about a balancing act. We need to look at the bigger picture in terms of retaining fans, getting more fans in and feeling more part of the club, better atmospheres etc. I’m not saying slashing prices right down (and not while season tickets holders have paid a lot already) but £30 plus puts people off. If we want to be an inclusive club, which we are for many things, we also need to make it more affordable at games going forward.
    How relevant is Bobby Williamsons analogy just now.

£4.99 to go to Vue cinema just now.

People want to be entertained at the Football. It has to be exciting in this day and age where everyone has short attention spans due to electronics.
    Last edited by 90274; 02-12-2021 at 11:48 AM.

Vfm

I'm in the camp that says lower prices - more people- more excitement - more goals- more pies sold.
    Though when Motherwell tried it - it didn't work out, if I recall.

I also sit in the camp that says Jack Ross is not the man to lead the team to any form of glory. The occasional good win does not IMHO cover over the cracks of the absolute dirge football we play in the most part. Again IMHO - I feel I should point out that this forum is all about opinions and so differing ones as difficult to stomach as some maybe, all deserve to be heard. Were are all wanting the team to do well.

As mentioned in this thread previously there is a tangible lack of atmosphere and there are few people who can honestly say there is any "buzz" around the ground or the team of late.

Lennon and Stubbs both managed periods where being a Hibs fan was genuinely exciting.

I am also incredibly surprised that Ron has not taken action already. Maybe I don't want the razamataz that you might expect from an American sports day but I didn't expect flat acceptance of mediocrity.

Which some fans on here seem only too willing to accept.

Does that not feed into my point about fans being asked to plug the gaps left by the collective commercial failures of the SPFL?

Far be it for me to defend Rangers but they were spot on about the Cinch deal being crap. Hibs certainly seem to have misgivings about the performance of those managing the leagues given we are one of the clubs who have commissioned a wide ranging report looking at various aspects of our game.

It's a bit ludicrous that fans are shelling out money on top of their ST, merchandise, TV subscriptions etc for nothing tangible all so we an compete with Accrington Stanley on wages.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years