hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Atmosphere

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where were all these noisy, vibrant fans today then?

Were they all in other parts of the stadium having a silent protest about not getting to stand behind the goals?

Or is it just that we've not got a particularly noisy support
    They were in the away end. All grouped together. Visually and vocally entertaining.

Imagine the same equivalent in the FF lower

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    Were you at the semi final?
    Yes - fans standing and singing.

Not sure what your point is ?

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    Yes - fans standing and singing.

Not sure what your point is ?
    Just answering your question and it’s , yes we can.

What happens on the pitch can certainly contribute to an atmosphere, I've been in crowds of around 9000 at ER where the atmosphere was fantastic coz Hibs had made a storming comeback or just played really well and pumped in a few goals. But the truth is times like that are few and far between and are memorable because of it.

The discussion to be had is how we improve the atmosphere for games like yesterdays, IE about 80% of all the games played at ER, where Hibs aren't smacking goals in or staging a storming comeback. That's why the FF lower comes up all the time, this club needs a visible and sustainable standing area where the folk who are prepared to sing and wave flags and stuff irrespective of the size of the crowd or how the game is going can go.

The areas the 'ultras' have been punted to all around the stadium have all had one thing in common, they have all been small parts of a larger area. The front of the east, the back of the east, a block in the corner of the FF upper, the far corner of the east. What they have never had is a self contained part of the stadium to call their own, which is exactly what the FF lower would be. IMO the lack of that allied to their lack of a prominent position is why the ultras group under whatever guise has had a problem increasing its numbers.

I am convinced that if the whole of the FF lower was given over to the ultras or wannabe ultras their numbers would grow to the extent that even for games like yesterday eventually you would have at least 1000 people in the FF lower for most games making a noise that perhaps other parts of the stadium would be inclined to join in with. STs and walkups for the FF lower would be just that, no seat allocation but simply FF lower. This could be a huge success and lift ER out of the gloom ... all Hibs need to do is have the vision to give it a go and now is the time to try it because the evidence is there and growing all the time that the FF lower 'family section' has had it's day.

If the family section was rammed all the time to at least 80% capacity then ok you could see the argument for denying the ultras the area they have always craved .... but it isn't, in fact nowhere near it, on a consistently regular basis and it's becoming harder and harder to see the justification for keeping it as a family section at the expense of what it could be.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 05-12-2021 at 02:19 PM.

They tell me the atmosphere is no very good on Mars either, put the product on the pitch and the supporters will back it no problem and it aint rocket science.
    GGTTH

I feel a bit sorry for the Block Seven guys.

Section 43/Since 1875 went through similar when they first started out. A few people trying to hijack the group for their own ends and going all in with the pyro, dodgy songs and so on. The former group got a grip on it and grew into something positive, hopefully this lot can do the same.

They have denied any involvement directly with the pyro and the IRA song. It appears they are suggesting the 'fighting' was them trying to call out the culprits who had made their way into the section. 3 sides to every story and all that, one, the other and the truth.

The biggest issue they have is they are too few in number, too quiet and too far out the way. It was far from the full Motherwell end making a noise but the group of 50 or so stood together never shut up and it carried. Even after we scored they never took a break, in fact it seemed to inspire them to be even louder.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Going on the earlier comments about the noise from the Motherwell fans has given me an idea....

How about we hire them to come to Easter Road more often and sing some songs for us. They don't seem to mind when their team isn't playing so well and just keep singing anyway, even when they're losing.

That's the kind of attitude we're missing and I for one would be willing to donate a tenner to any fund to get them on board.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    They were in the away end. All grouped together. Visually and vocally entertaining.

Imagine the same equivalent in the FF lower
    Exactly. And how many fans did they have making that noise? 50?

I don't think it's inconceivable that if Hibs promoted the FF lower as the safe standing / signing section of that you could get atleast 250-300 young guys involved. If 50 Motherwell can make a decent racket, what could 250 Hibees do?

Going on the earlier comments about the noise from the Motherwell fans has given me an idea....

How about we hire them to come to Easter Road more often and sing some songs for us. They don't seem to mind when their team isn't playing so well and just keep singing anyway, even when they're losing.

That's the kind of attitude we're missing and I for one would be willing to donate a tenner to any fund to get them on board.

Motherwell fans just keep singing whilst losing at Fir Park? Did you go to the first game of the season at Fir Park?

@hibs.net private member
    The FF lower is possibly the emptiest it has been since it was built. I am against it costing money to turn it into a standing area but if the club can change the family tickets to be available in any stand then it should allow those who want to move into that area to do, it should only take 50 or so seats going by yesterday. If they can create an atmosphere, doubt it myself, then they could have a case for making it a standing area. If nothing else it might stop the debate on here. One thing that should not happen is that any singing section or other group is given preference for a seat at ER.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Motherwell fans just keep singing whilst losing at Fir Park? Did you go to the first game of the season at Fir Park?

Yes I was there, and I was replying in the context of the praise they were given for yesterday's 'performance'

I have to admit that I'm confused as to the viewpoint that, while fifty fans can make a decent noise in the South Lower, 3,000 fans can't make a noise in the East Stand.

Is there some miraculous acoustic quality that not only increases the volume but also makes them keep singing even when they're losing or not playing well?

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    The FF lower is possibly the emptiest it has been since it was built. I am against it costing money to turn it into a standing area but if the club can change the family tickets to be available in any stand then it should allow those who want to move into that area to do, it should only take 50 or so seats going by yesterday. If they can create an atmosphere, doubt it myself, then they could have a case for making it a standing area. If nothing else it might stop the debate on here. One thing that should not happen is that any singing section or other group is given preference for a seat at ER.
    Families currently get preference for a seat directly behind the goal so it already happens.

Yes I was there, and I was replying in the context of the praise they were given for yesterday's 'performance'

I have to admit that I'm confused as to the viewpoint that, while fifty fans can make a decent noise in the South Lower, 3,000 fans can't make a noise in the East Stand.

Is there some miraculous acoustic quality that not only increases the volume but also makes them keep singing even when they're losing or not playing well?
    You're comparing apples and pears though. I believe a properly promoted and pushed FF lower as the dedicated home of our young and passionate supporters would get sufficient take up to make it successful.

You are not as persuaded as others on this, as you've made very clear over the years and continue to do, I tend to think we do have the potential for a vocal support if given the correct conditions for it to grow. Let's remember that the Green Brigade started as a group of less than 100 and they now have membership running into the thousands. What we have at the moment is not the ceiling, it's the start of what could and in my opinion would grow organically into something bigger. That's exactly what happened at Ibrox and Celtic Park. Going by your viewpoint Celtic Park should have been an absolute cauldron of atmosphere every game with 60,000 fans there. It wasn't. Even their own fans admit it was a morgue before a dedicated singing and safe standing area was created. I believe Hibs fans are capable of doing the same, you don't seem to think the same with your previous comment about not being a vocal support. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it's not one I'd personally label at Hibs.

One thing is for certain, if we keep plodding along as we are nothing will change. Personally, I'd like us to take that chance rather than not.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 05-12-2021 at 06:26 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Families currently get preference for a seat directly behind the goal so it already happens.
    Fair point but I would view it as them only being allowed in one area of the ground at that rate. I sat there for years and as soon as the kids were too old for the discount I moved to better seats.

@hibs.net private member
    You're comparing apples and pears though. I believe a properly promoted and pushed FF lower as the dedicated home of our young and passionate supporters would get sufficient take up to make it successful.

You are not as persuaded as others on this, as you've made very clear over the years and continue to do, I tend to think we do have the potential for a vocal support if given the correct conditions for it to grow. Let's remember that the Green Brigade started as a group of less than 100 and they now have membership running into the thousands. What we have at the moment is not the ceiling, it's the start of what could and in my opinion would grow organically into something bigger. That's exactly what happened at Ibrox and Celtic Park.

One thing is for certain, if we keep plodding along as we are nothing will change. Personally, I'd like us to take that chance rather than not.
    So by the same token why cant the same be done in the east ? Surely by the same means that group could grow and move along the east, a whole stand with around 5/6000 bouncing around with flags etc would be more noisy and intimidating than 1500 or whatever the FF lower holds

You are not as persuaded as others on this, as you've made very clear over the years and continue to do, I tend to think we do have the potential for a vocal support if given the correct conditions for it to grow. Let's remember that the Green Brigade started as a group of less than 100 and they now have membership running into the thousands. What we have at the moment is not the ceiling, it's the start of what could and in my opinion would grow organically into something bigger. That's exactly what happened at Ibrox and Celtic Park. Going by your viewpoint Celtic Park should have been an absolute cauldron of atmosphere every game with 60,000 fans there. It wasn't. Even their own fans admit it was a morgue before a dedicated signing and safe standing area was created. I believe Hibs fans are capable of doing the same, you don't seem to think the same with your previous comment about not being a vocal support. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it's not one I'd personally label at Hibs.

Good post - agree with all that. I think its pretty clear that maintaining the status quo is not an option.

If we're being honest smartphones have a lot to answer for. The sort of fan who attends Easter Road now seems to enjoy more time on the phone checking scores at other grounds or quietly grumbling to the person next to them about something (often unrelated from the game).
    Does make you why people bother coming along but then again thats just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    So by the same token why cant the same be done in the east ? Surely by the same means that group could grow and move along the east, a whole stand with around 5/6000 bouncing around with flags etc would be more noisy and intimidating than 1500 or whatever the FF lower holds
    Because the oh so important gold season ticket holders have paid for their seat and won't be moved by a singing section nor are they the type to bounce around with flags as you put it. The singing moving from the top of 43 all those years ago has ruined any chance of that happening now. The bairn canny see and all that. The east is the new west unfortunately with a lot of our fans.

Because getting 6k people to do that is pretty unlikely. The best chance of success if in the FF lower with realistic numbers.

Barring the couple of years following the cup win where we achieved average attendances that hadn't been bettered for over half a century, the 20k stadium has generally been a bit too big for us.

@hibs.net private member
    Because getting 6k people to do that is pretty unlikely. The best chance of success if in the FF lower with realistic numbers.

Barring the couple of years following the cup win where we achieved average attendances that hadn't been bettered for over half a century, the 20k stadium has generally been a bit too big for us.
    Yeah but surely it needs time to bed, let it grow organically. When I was in the old east there was a group under the gantry who made plenty noise and that would spread the length of the enclosure, given time we have a whole stand that hopefully a few would join in and it would increase in size/volume etc

The old east enclosure was always an intimidating and noisy place, look at the footage of us all rammed in there when Souness and co came to town 🤣

Yeah but surely it needs time to bed, let it grow organically. When I was in the old east there was a group under the gantry who made plenty noise and that would spread the length of the enclosure, given time we have a whole stand that hopefully a few would join in and it would increase in size/volume etc

The old east enclosure was always an intimidating and noisy place, look at the footage of us all rammed in there when Souness and co came to town 🤣
    It was also almost exclusively standing. About 90% of the current east stand sits.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar

If they insist on singing the same one over and over they and Belinda Carlisle can GTF.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    What happens on the pitch can certainly contribute to an atmosphere, I've been in crowds of around 9000 at ER where the atmosphere was fantastic coz Hibs had made a storming comeback or just played really well and pumped in a few goals. But the truth is times like that are few and far between and are memorable because of it.

The discussion to be had is how we improve the atmosphere for games like yesterdays, IE about 80% of all the games played at ER, where Hibs aren't smacking goals in or staging a storming comeback. That's why the FF lower comes up all the time, this club needs a visible and sustainable standing area where the folk who are prepared to sing and wave flags and stuff irrespective of the size of the crowd or how the game is going can go.

The areas the 'ultras' have been punted to all around the stadium have all had one thing in common, they have all been small parts of a larger area. The front of the east, the back of the east, a block in the corner of the FF upper, the far corner of the east. What they have never had is a self contained part of the stadium to call their own, which is exactly what the FF lower would be. IMO the lack of that allied to their lack of a prominent position is why the ultras group under whatever guise has had a problem increasing its numbers.

I am convinced that if the whole of the FF lower was given over to the ultras or wannabe ultras their numbers would grow to the extent that even for games like yesterday eventually you would have at least 1000 people in the FF lower for most games making a noise that perhaps other parts of the stadium would be inclined to join in with. STs and walkups for the FF lower would be just that, no seat allocation but simply FF lower. This could be a huge success and lift ER out of the gloom ... all Hibs need to do is have the vision to give it a go and now is the time to try it because the evidence is there and growing all the time that the FF lower 'family section' has had it's day.

If the family section was rammed all the time to at least 80% capacity then ok you could see the argument for denying the ultras the area they have always craved .... but it isn't, in fact nowhere near it, on a consistently regular basis and it's becoming harder and harder to see the justification for keeping it as a family section at the expense of what it could be.
    Absolutely spot on. Move all the existing in the lower FF to the upper FF as it has a better view and show a bit of common sense and get this off and running from next season.

Coaching Staff

I think your last point about stadium size is valid, therefore is there an argument to look at ways to reduce the capacity of Easter Road?

Famous five lower is the place for any future group / ultras to go to.

An example of this was when they went from upper to lower at half time against Caley I think before lockdown.

Must of been couple hundred, sounded and looked so much better

As other poster said

The family section has finished, low numbers, empty seats.

Shift them upstairs and get the safe standing in there with the ultras.

Hibs official please read these comments and be active

Easter road is like a library these days

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    Famous five lower is the place for any future group / ultras to go to.

An example of this was when they went from upper to lower at half time against Caley I think before lockdown.

Must of been couple hundred, sounded and looked so much better

As other poster said

The family section has finished, low numbers, empty seats.

Shift them upstairs and get the safe standing in there with the ultras.

Hibs official please read these comments and be active

Easter road is like a library these days
    Based on recent issues with, apparently, the new singing section with violence, IRA songs, drinking in the stadium and throwing smoke bombs, i can’t think of any good reason why the club would humour them at all, let alone go out their way to give them the FF lower.

First Team Breakthrough
    So you’ve just decided that was all attributed to the new group then? Let’s not have a new designated area for the most vocal fans or people who want to stand at the game because some hibs fans are ********s. In any group of people your going to get a few bams. That’s up to the club to steward and fellow fans to a certain degree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by tmb1875 View Post
    So you’ve just decided that was all attributed to the new group then? Let’s not have a new designated area for the most vocal fans or people who want to stand at the game because some hibs fans are ********s. In any group of people your going to get a few bams. That’s up to the club to steward and fellow fans to a certain degree.

I’ve not decided anything.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

First Team Breakthrough
    Ok apparently then!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by tmb1875 View Post
    Ok apparently then!

Yes. Apparently there are issues with that group that, imho, would make the club not want to entertain a section to house them in the FF lower.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net