hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Beaton

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Our owner and manager need to start calling this out and ensure Beaton never officiates a game inclusive of the Rangers again. It must stop.
    Last edited by MrSmith; 02-12-2021 at 10:00 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by SerenityGreen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Completely agree. I'm surprised some folks are saying it's a stonewall pen. I just don't see that at all. It's a clear dive in my book. My initial reaction and again watching it back. Porto pulls his foot back (though according to McCann on sportscene it's this act that causes the foul?). there is minimal contact and Kent clearly plays for it.
    It’s exactly the decision that the premier league are getting away from. ‘Minimal contact’ that wouldn’t put you to ground but you Chuck yourself down to buy it. There is a brush of the toes, that’s all it is. The fact Kent loses both legs from underneath him at that point shows he’s made a meal of it.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    It’s exactly the decision that the premier league are getting away from. ‘Minimal contact’ that wouldn’t put you to ground but you Chuck yourself down to buy it. There is a brush of the toes, that’s all it is. The fact Kent loses both legs from underneath him at that point shows he’s made a meal of it.
    Yep. It’s a dive. If Martin Boyle had done that he’d have been booked and torn apart by the press.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member
    What about the Hibs pass to another Hibs player........but it comes off the ref. He then gives the drop ball to them?

How does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Yep. It’s a dive. If Martin Boyle had done that he’d have been booked and torn apart by the press.
    Kent clearly didn't expect Ryan was going to pull out of the challenge. He begins the dive, Ryan quickly withdraws his leg but Kent is already flinging himself to the ground.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    What about the Hibs pass to another Hibs player........but it comes off the ref. He then gives the drop ball to them?

How does that work?
    Pretty sure it was a Rangers pass

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Yes. Good point. You can normally tell how a player falls if he has been genuinely fouled or not. The fact that Kent loses both legs as you state shows he dived. Slight brush of two players feet does not make both legs collapse.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Yeah Rangers player passing to a Rangers player I’m sure

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Watched the penalty again this morning and it's a dive for me, contact is totally minimal and Kent buys it.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Thought it was a penalty last night and having re-watched it this morning it's 100% a penalty. I would be very angry if that happened to our player and not given.

Re Beaton, yes he was itching to give them a penalty, but we can't complain with this one.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Watched the penalty again this morning and it's a dive for me, contact is totally minimal and Kent buys it.
    It's soft and it's a dive where he made the most of it but it's a penalty. Scott Allan got one at Ibrox in a win under Lennon.

The ref was given a decision to make and he is always going to give a penalty.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    It was, definitely so.

With regard to the penalty, it was soft as and Kent made a meal of it. However, there was contact. We had them given to us in exactly the same scenario.

At the time I wondered why Kent was allowed to drive into the box. There were two Hibs players covering and both backed off. I appreciate they were trying to jockey him, but it would be better to prevent him entering the box. Conceding a foul then would be less calamitous?

Contact doesn't equate to a foul. When you watch the replays from a certain angle you can see that there is contact, which is manufactured by Kent. Kent leaves his right leg dangling out to his left trying to make that contact as he chucks himself to the ground.
    Last edited by Rumble de Thump; 02-12-2021 at 11:47 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    What about Boyle's penalty in the Semi Final? Pretty similar I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    It was, definitely so.

With regard to the penalty, it was soft as and Kent made a meal of it. However, there was contact. We had them given to us in exactly the same scenario.

At the time I wondered why Kent was allowed to drive into the box. There were two Hibs players covering and both backed off. I appreciate they were trying to jockey him, but it would be better to prevent him entering the box. Conceding a foul then would be less calamitous?
    The relevance of "there was contact" is something invented by pundits, nothing in the rules about it. I don't deny that we've had similar soft penalties before but that doesn't make it right. Something should be done to stamp out players deliberately going down in the box to win penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by 90274 View Post
    It's soft and it's a dive where he made the most of it but it's a penalty. Scott Allan got one at Ibrox in a win under Lennon.

The ref was given a decision to make and he is always going to give a penalty.
    Why is he always going to give a penalty?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Why is he always going to give a penalty?
    Attackers seem to generally get the benefit of the doubt. It was in the box, there was contact and Porteous did have his leg out.

@hibs.net private member
    Nothing like it imo

Attackers seem to generally get the benefit of the doubt. It was in the box, there was contact and Porteous did have his leg out.
    Don't you mean "Rangers" instead of "Attackers"?

Certainly had some shocking decisions from Beaton but he could easily have booked Campbell and Boyle at times. Barisic aswell for them.

Fairly lenient overall I thought.

And the Cadden trip on Barisic was obviously given by the linesman.

What 😂😂😂

Thanks for confirming you watch football games with your eyes shut, that would explain most of your opinions.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    What 😂😂😂

Thanks for confirming you watch football games with your eyes shut, that would explain most of your opinions.
    As in, it was soft but it was given.

Attackers get the benefit of the doubt.

@hibs.net private member

Nothing soft about Boyles penalty

There’s nothing soft about getting a knee into the top of your leg while being barged over.

@hibs.net private member
    OK....my bad!

Cheers

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Kent hangs his leg in to make sure porteous catches him. Boyle got called a cheat for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Certainly had some shocking decisions from Beaton but he could easily have booked Campbell and Boyle at times. Barisic aswell for them.

Fairly lenient overall I thought.

And the Cadden trip on Barisic was obviously given by the linesman.
    Campbell is going to have his fair share of bookings. He needs to rein it in a bit or learn to be a bit sly about it.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    The relevance of "there was contact" is something invented by pundits, nothing in the rules about it. I don't deny that we've had similar soft penalties before but that doesn't make it right. Something should be done to stamp out players deliberately going down in the box to win penalties.
    I agree, contact doesn't automatically equate to penalty and yes, there should be action taken to stop players diving and cheating.

I think it was avoidable. I've just looked at it again. McGinn was closest to Kent when the ball was passed. He could have challenged him then. If he was skinned then Porto was ready to cover. Instead he drops back and lets Porto come in and make the tackle. Porto didn't need to do that at that point, he should have tried to force Kent wide and onto his left foot, which McGinn had covered.

Once a player is in the box, especially one with the trickery of Kent, he's always going to take a man on. We handed the pen to him on a plate, dive or otherwise.

By the same token, when Aribo skinned Newell in the box with close control then fired into the side netting, Newell put a hand on him, but credit to Aribo he ignored it, carried on and got a shot away. But had he done a swan dive like Kent, would a penalty have been given against Newell cos there was contact?

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    If you see it from behind the goals, Kent puts his right foot (the outside one) back in to make contact with Ryan’s foot. He conned the ref, not the Beaton required much encouragement.