hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scott Allan

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seems very much like bickering to me. If not I expect to see you commenting on every thread where something is brought up that was discussed previously. It happens all the time on this forum. And no, put me on ignore once is all you need to do.

I’m not sure what value you have added to this thread with your comments. I don’t agree with mwhibbies posts, he doesn’t agree with me, but I respect his right to post his opinion . Both of us have made points that have been previously made though.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Seems very much like bickering to me. If not I expect to see you commenting on every thread where something is brought up that was discussed previously. It happens all the time on this forum. And no, put me on ignore once is all you need to do.

I’m not sure what value you have added to this thread with your comments. I don’t agree with mwhibbies posts, he doesn’t agree with me, but I respect his right to post his opinion . Both of us have made points that have been previously made though.
    I could put you on ignore easily enough but I’m not likely to start ignoring entire threads (as you suggested) in the event you are retreading old ground on them. Which you are in this one, you’ve taken it right back to summer deadline day when it was covered to death and then some.
    Nor do I need lessons from you on how the forum works my friend and whatever you ‘expect’ is in your head.

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Following me around again?

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    I could put you on ignore easily enough but I’m not likely to start ignoring entire threads (as you suggested) in the event you are retreading old ground on them. Which you are in this one, you’ve taken it right back to summer deadline day when it was covered to death and then some.
    Nor do I need lessons from you on how the forum works my friend and whatever you ‘expect’ is in your head.
    As I have stated Scott Allan threads typically go off in the same direction and rarely does anything new get brought up. But of the points that had been already covered you only felt the need to comment on mine.

Seems like you do need some lessons on how the forum works if you find me covering old ground so troublesome. Man.

@hibs.net private member
    Happy birthday Scott Allan. Delighted to see you strutting your stuff you yesterday .

As I have stated Scott Allan threads typically go off in the same direction and rarely does anything new get brought up. But of the points that had been already covered you only felt the need to comment on mine.

Seems like you do need some lessons on how the forum works if you find me covering old ground so troublesome. Man.
    Yours was the only post I needed to comment on, not all of them. That’s really how it works. Man. (Am I doing this bit right?)
    I’m letting this go now as discussion seems to be not about Scott Allan, but only chat between you and me and Lago of course who follows me about looking for pals. I’ve tried ignoring him but he doesn’t go away so that button doesn’t always work.

Hopefully the thread gets back on track.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Yours was the only post I needed to comment on, not all of them. That’s really how it works. Man. (Am I doing this bit right?)
    I’m letting this go now as discussion seems to be not about Scott Allan, but only chat between you and me and Lago of course who follows me about looking for pals. I’ve tried ignoring him but he doesn’t go away so that button doesn’t always work.

Hopefully the thread gets back on track.
    The point is you didn’t “need” to comment on my post but you chose to. And you started the “man” pish not me. I find a lot of your posts I disagree with, but other than the time you tried to tell me Tom James was a good player I don’t feel the need to comment on them. I don’t know Lago but he clearly finds your posts tiresome too.

I’ll leave it there and as you said let the thread get back on track.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    If Allan is fit, he should start.

That seems glaringly obvious to me, and I’d hope to JR too, so I’ll assume it’s a fitness thing.

I mean, is there any manager out there that would leave a fit SA out of their team? That’s just mental.

And we’re nicely back on track

I love him. I think he's a class act. I love that he's at our club and not another.

Can’t beat a good Allan: footballing genius, build the team around him/luxury player, too often posted missing thread.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    If Allan is fit, he should start.

That seems glaringly obvious to me, and I’d hope to JR too, so I’ll assume it’s a fitness thing.

I mean, is there any manager out there that would leave a fit SA out of their team? That’s just mental.

And we’re nicely back on track
    I wouldn’t argue with the first sentence - other than to say that different people have different interpretations of “fit”.

It was great to see Scott Allan impact the game the way he did yesterday. He has an ability to do that in a way that most players can’t.

If you want to focus on negatives with Scott Allan you can focus on all the football Hibs have played with him not on the park. Or - on the park and toiling, which also happens.

What can’t really be in doubt though - in spite of there being constant speculation regarding his fitness levels, he’s got a quite outstanding return in terms of goals and assists leading to points being won /cup rounds being progressed through per minute on the park. As a result, I’d always be inclined to try to find a way to get him in the team.

I reckon Jack Ross will have mixed feelings. The guy has won him points. The defensive side of his game can leave us very vulnerable at times.

Pretty sure when my time watching Hibs is up - Scott Allan will have been one of my favourite players. He just has an X factor that so many good, fit, disciplined, dull players simply do not have.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Is the most creative player we have and by some distance .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

With the run of games we've got I expect we'll see a fair bit more of Scotty as well as some of the others who don't start regularly. I imagine JR will need to do some squad rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    With the run of games we've got I expect we'll see a fair bit more of Scotty as well as some of the others who don't start regularly. I imagine JR will need to do some squad rotation.
    Games against Livingston and Dundee would be good opportunities to start him and rest someone else - a straight swap for Campbell, or drop Campbell back to give Newell or Doyle-Hayes a break.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Games against Livingston and Dundee would be good opportunities to start him and rest someone else - a straight swap for Campbell, or drop Campbell back to give Newell or Doyle-Hayes a break.
    I expect that opportunities to start SA are few and far between. He is a player with extraordinary talent but also one with, not one but two, serious health conditions that he has very privately but successfully fought throughout his career. If he starts it can only be when both he and our fitness team are confident he is safe and fit. In any other circumstances, to start him in a game is putting pressure on his health and significantly increasing the chances of having to make an early substitution. Starting him all but guarantees that he will use a sub place during the game so restricting other tactical changes.
    On the other hand, using him as a relatively late sub allows us to benefit from his mercurial talent whilst significantly reducing endangering his health or the need to replace him.
    I want to see Scott on the pitch but not to the detriment of his health or the management options.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Which manager was it that said "win your midfield battles and you'll win the match"?

Scott isn't going to win a lot of battles, as skillful and creative as he is. As someone else has pointed out, he excelled on Saturday once the opponents had been run ragged by our other players.

He really does need an enforcer(s) beside him because he's never going to dominate a midfield. It would be brilliant if we could come up with a solution to play him more but I doubt that's possible.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Which manager was it that said "win your midfield battles and you'll win the match"?

Scott isn't going to win a lot of battles, as skillful and creative as he is. As someone else has pointed out, he excelled on Saturday once the opponents had been run ragged by our other players.

He really does need an enforcer(s) beside him because he's never going to dominate a midfield. It would be brilliant if we could come up with a solution to play him more but I doubt that's possible.
    This seems to be a growing opinion but I just don’t get it. Look at the games he’s started.

He started, and was man of the match, in a win against the same opposition earlier this season. He started, scored and assisted in an away win at Tannadice. He was part of a midfield that was absolutely controlling the game at Ibrox until Porteous was sent off. The one exception was at home to Dundee Utd when the whole team was crap.

He didn’t excel because they’d been run ragged by other players yesterday. He excelled because he’s a good player who can do things other players can’t.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    This seems to be a growing opinion but I just don’t get it. Look at the games he’s started.

He started, and was man of the match, in a win against the same opposition earlier this season. He started, scored and assisted in an away win at Tannadice. He was part of a midfield that was absolutely controlling the game at Ibrox until Porteous was sent off. The one exception was at home to Dundee Utd when the whole team was crap.

He didn’t excel because they’d been run ragged by other players yesterday. He excelled because he’s a good player who can do things other players can’t.
    Yeah, fair points. He's a very talented player, but there must be a logical reason why he doesn't get more starts.

I like Jack Ross so I'm happy to accept his decisions. Hopefully Scott will feature more in the remainder of the season.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Yeah, fair points. He's a very talented player, but there must be a logical reason why he doesn't get more starts.

I like Jack Ross so I'm happy to accept his decisions. Hopefully Scott will feature more in the remainder of the season.
    For all the reasons offered up, I honestly think it’s just a case of the manager not wanting to play him. Whatever his reasons, I think there are other players he just prefers.
    Last edited by B.H.F.C; 28-11-2021 at 11:25 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    For all the reasons offered up, I honestly think it’s just a case of the manager not wanting to play him. Whether his reasons, I think there are other players he just prefers.
    Yes, and could be part of the reason why some of the support aren't fully behind Jack Ross.

Scott Allan has the ability to change a game with one pass. He would be a massive miss if we let him go.

Fair enough, he can't manage full games (yet) and has the odd game where he is ineffective but yesterday was a prime example of his talent. We often go on about us relying heavily on Boyle but i'd hate for us to go into a gae without Boyle, Allan and Magennis.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Scott is actually pretty good at closing down opponents and cutting off their options.

He’s never going to be a hard-tackling type but he can definitely contribute when we don’t have the ball.

@hibs.net private member St.Kristopher's Avatar
    Scott Allan copes with being pressed no problem at all. He’ll take the ball anywhere on the park.
    Not sure I agree.

Did you watch the County game? If it wasn't for McGinn he would have let the County player through on goal, trying a turn just outside our box.

I am in the camp that sees this version of Allan, being amazing at breaking down teams that sit in, but not so useful in games where teams press us. County and United being two examples.

Testimonial Due
    For all the reasons offered up, I honestly think it’s just a case of the manager not wanting to play him. Whatever his reasons, I think there are other players he just prefers.
    For tactical reasons. You have to win the battle to be able to play. That is why he is not a preferred start. The Allan who knocked Black off the ball against Rangers is not the Allan we have now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WestStandWillie View Post
    Scott Allan has the ability to change a game with one pass. He would be a massive miss if we let him go.

Fair enough, he can't manage full games (yet) and has the odd game where he is ineffective but yesterday was a prime example of his talent. We often go on about us relying heavily on Boyle but i'd hate for us to go into a gae without Boyle, Allan and Magennis.
    I think most folk are of the opinion that his limited use is down to health reasons. I’m not so sure that this is the case. If it really is down to health reasons, SA will be satisfied with how JR is using him. However, I suspect he is frustrated with this limited use and will be wanting more game time. So, if JR is simply choosing not to make more use of him, I don’t see him getting a new contract and will probably move on at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    For tactical reasons. You have to win the battle to be able to play. That is why he is not a preferred start. The Allan who knocked Black off the ball against Rangers is not the Allan we have now.
    Are we totally incapable of winning the battle if he starts? I’d say not based on the game he’s actually started this season.

@hibs.net private member
    Are we totally incapable of winning the battle if he starts? I’d say not based on the game he’s actually started this season.
    I suppose we won't know unless he starts for a few games in a row. Much will depend on how the opposition play and if they press us and how frequently we have the ball.

I have two main issues with Allan. He tries to play a decisive pass far too often and loses the ball when there was an easy progressive pass on which could still have led to a goal. He also gets knocked off the ball very easily receiving it tight. Lastly I think he is terrible when we don't have the ball and sometimes looks completely disinterested before sparking into life when we win it back. So losing the ball cheaply and not working hard are my issues.

When he gets the ball and gets a good first touch he keeps it really well. In some ways I liken him to Porteous. He just needs to dial the risk taking down a touch so that he isn't always looking for a killer pass and up his concentration to the full time he is on the pitch. He also needs to put his body on the line far more when we don't have the ball and stay switched on for his full appearance not just parts of it. Absolutely no doubting his vision and creativity and he is a player that is useful to have in the squad. If we can get hi cheap then I'd offer him another deal but he is way down the list of players I would commit the big bucks to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I think most folk are of the opinion that his limited use is down to health reasons. I’m not so sure that this is the case. If it really is down to health reasons, SA will be satisfied with how JR is using him. However, I suspect he is frustrated with this limited use and will be wanting more game time. So, if JR is simply choosing not to make more use of him, I don’t see him getting a new contract and will probably move on at the end of the season.
    Agreed. I could understand him wanting to go to ICT as he himself can’t have known how he’d cope playing regularly until he was actually doing so. That doesn’t though explain his willingness to go on a full season loan to St Mirren. To me that suggests a footballer who wants to play regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    I suppose we won't know unless he starts for a few games in a row. Much will depend on how the opposition play and if they press us and how frequently we have the ball.

I have two main issues with Allan. He tries to play a decisive pass far too often and loses the ball when there was an easy progressive pass on which could still have led to a goal. He also gets knocked off the ball very easily receiving it tight. Lastly I think he is terrible when we don't have the ball and sometimes looks completely disinterested before sparking into life when we win it back. So losing the ball cheaply and not working hard are my issues.

When he gets the ball and gets a good first touch he keeps it really well. In some ways I liken him to Porteous. He just needs to dial the risk taking down a touch so that he isn't always looking for a killer pass and up his concentration to the full time he is on the pitch. He also needs to put his body on the line far more when we don't have the ball and stay switched on for his full appearance not just parts of it. Absolutely no doubting his vision and creativity and he is a player that is useful to have in the squad. If we can get hi cheap then I'd offer him another deal but he is way down the list of players I would commit the big bucks to.
    He did play a few games in a row and we didn’t lose any battles. We were actually doing quite well up until that red card at Ibrox. Add in the fact that he’s actually came on a couple of times and played a major part in turning losing positions in to winning ones.

There are some criticisms of Allan that are merited but there are some that are way over the top IMO, some of the stuff about him being a man short and the like. Talk about him not being good if we’re pressed is crazy IMO. He’s probably the most comfortable player we have on the ball and he’d take it in a phone box. If anything, I think he becomes more dangerous if he’s pressed because he’s likely to go by someone which very few players in our side do.

I still think he needs to earn another contract but the things he does are much harder to replace than things other players do. 1 goal and 5 assists in 453 minutes is a superb return.