hibs.net Messageboard

This is how it feels (St. Johnstone 27 11 2021)

After the disappointment of losing to Ross County last Wednesday evening, it was important that we got back to winning ways at McDermid Park but standing in our way was a St. Johnstone side that’s proved a hard nut to crack in recent times. The hosts had some players missing but so too did Hibs as both Boyle and Doidge were suspended with Ryan Porteous returning at the back the only change to the starting eleven.

I have to say that, over the piece, Hibs were the better team throughout but had to show real character after going behind to a St Johnstone side that offered little threat in an attacking sense. Even before the hosts were reduced to ten men, I felt we were controlling the play and looked the most likely to score only for that old weakness of defending crosses see us slip behind. Once they were in front, St Johnstone set up with two banks of five and four to combat us having an extra man, but Jack Ross got things right by stretching them wide and introducing two game changing substitutes.

Inside the first five minutes, both Gullan and Doig had decent efforts on goal and Hibs should really have had the lead soon after a Kevin Nisbet raced on to a through ball provided by Josh Campbell and shot home past Clark. The Assistant Referee flagged offside, but I was sure Nisbet had ran past a defender after the pass was delivered and I’m told that TV evidence shows Kev to have been onside.

The hosts were offering very little going forward whilst in midfield both Davidson and Bryson in the midfield were lucky not to see yellow for a couple of crude fouls. On the quarter hour, Gullan set up Campbell, but the youngster’s shot lacked power and Clark collected easily. Davidson then hacked down Doyle-Hayes and got just a finger wagging. Then, within the space of a couple of minutes, Campbell had another effort clear the bar whilst O’Halloran fired wide of Macey’s far post.

Referee Euan Anderson finally found his card after Bryson chopped down Porteous before Nisbet then set up a chance for Gullan, but Jamie’s drive was blocked on its way to goal. Five minutes from the break, Hanlon conceded a corner which Ali Crawford swung in. The ball was not cleared effectively and came back to Crawford who found Gordon at the back post. The big defender headed the ball towards goal and his effort struck Porteous before rolling into the net. It was a stunner to lose a goal having been on top for much of the game. Half time was close but before it arrived, Campbell hit the post with a header and Bryson hit the bath with a second yellow after a shocking challenge on Joe Newell.

Inevitably, Callum Davidson made a change at the break, replacing Vertainen, a midfielder who’d been playing as a striker, with MacPherson, a midfield player who would play in midfield. Only O’Halloran was in any kind of forward position with the hosts sitting in two banks of five and four in an attempt to secure the three points.

Five minutes in to the half, Chris Cadden got on the end of a Josh Doig cross and hammered the ball past Clark only to see it crash off the crossbar. Minutes later, Davidson was booked for a poor foul on Porteous and the only thing that mystified me was that the St. Johnstone man hadn’t been booked earlier. Hibs were piling forward pretty much at will and both Hanlon and Doig popped up in the home area but couldn’t find the target with their efforts.

Just past the hour mark, Jack Ross replaced Paul McGinn with Jamie Murphy; Cadden dropping deeper to cover. Withing minutes, Murphy tested Clark in the home goal, first with a header and then with a stunning volley after Nisbet had knocked the ball down to him. Clark had virtually no time to react but instinctively threw his arms in the air to push the ball over the bar.

With twenty minutes left, Scott Allan replaced Jamie Gullan and almost immediately Porteous got on the end of a cross, but his header went wide of the post. Sitting watching this I felt that with us dominating possession it could surely only be a matter of time before we equalised, but it was always a case of so near and yet so far as Clark’s goal led a charmed life. Doig drove in from the left and his low shot was saved by the feet of Clark and then Nisbet headed home from a cross, but the goal was ruled out apparently because Porteous had shoved an opponent in the box. I have to say, if goals are going to be ruled out for jostling in the box there’s going to be a lot of low scoring matches in the future.

With seven minutes left, Hibs finally got the reward their play deserved, and it came by virtue of two substitutes combining well to allow Kevin Nisbet to beat Clark from eight yards. Murphy and Allan exchanged quick passes with the former feeding Nisbet. The very vocal travelling support was now at full volume and Murphy was really unlucky to see a low shot shave the outside of a post before a piece of sheer wizardry from Scott Allan saw him bamboozle his marker just inside the box, look up and pick out Jamie Murphy who fired home from an acute angle. The impact of those two subs cannot be emphasised enough as both goals had them heavily involved.

Due to an earlier lengthy spell of treatment to Ben Gordon, some six minutes of added time meant St. Johnstone could abandon their nine man defensive tactics and get forward at every opportunity. In truth, they could make nothing of the time given to them and in fact the last action of the game almost brought a third goal for Hibs. Nisbet slipped his marker at the half way line, strode forward and spotted Ryan Porteous sprinting unmarked towards the Saints goal. Kevin timed his pass perfectly and Ryan took a few more strides before battering a shot at goal. The ball hit the bar and as it bounced out, Nisbet did his best to steer it into the net but was just not balanced enough and the ball flew over the bar.

The players

Macey – I don’t think Matt will have a quieter ninety minutes this season.

McGinn – Solid as ever and never looked in trouble.

Porteous – Ryan was supreme although it has to be said he wasn’t facing a recognised striker. One thing that does alarm me at times is that he can find himself square on to an opponent running at him and as such is easily passed. He needs to either show that opponent inside or outside as failing to win the challenge puts our goal at risk.

Hanlon – It was noticeable that, even before the sending off, Paul played a lot of the game in the Saints half, often wide left and on occasion in the centre waiting for a cross. Our skipper was never challenged defensively.

Cadden – Chris is growing on me and had a decent ninety minutes, both wide right of a four and deeper right after McGinn went off. Incredibly unlucky that his thunderbolt of a shot hit the bar because it was a goal had it been on target, with Clark well beaten.

Doyle-Hayes – Jake took a couple of hefty knocks during the game but just got up and got on with it. He linked the play from defender to forward very well.

Campbell – Given he’s only just been given a first team chance he has embraced it by offering up excellent performances. Today, four times he got into shooting positions and four times he got his effort away. Granted, he didn’t score but if he keeps taking the chances given it’s only a matter of time.

Newell – Joe was involved in pretty much everything and quite possibly touched the ball more than anyone else on the park. Often, he just quietly goes about his business and today was one of those days.

Doig – Up and down that wing he’s like the road runner with the energy he displays. Add to that his obvious skill, especially going forward, this was Josh’s norm today.

Gullan – Jamie gave his all and didn’t really disappoint at any time. I felt he ran the channels well and was quick to be in the face of defenders trying to play out from the back.

Nisbet – Three times he had the ball in the net but only one counted. I’ve not seen the disallowed two again yet, but I’m already inclined to say the first of the two should have been allowed to stand. Much is made of Kevin’s physical effort, but I thought today he was outstanding, giving his all from first to last.

Murphy – A fit Jamie Murphy is a joy to watch, and he gave the St Johnstone defenders a torrid time of it with his ability to accelerate from a standing start and his eye for a crucial pass.

Allan – Time for me to eat a large slice of humble pie. Last Wednesday I suggested Scotty had run his race at Hibs, much as the thought of that broke my heart but today, in his twenty minute cameo he was absolutely outstanding. His feint and turn to set up the winning goal was worth the admission money alone.

Scott – Worked very hard on his side of the park and, even with recent comments about his weight etc, looked as fit as a butcher’s dog.

Jack Ross – He might have been feeling the pressure, given the losing run in the league before today, but the man is unflappable and deserves credit for making the changes that won us the game.

Referee – Euan Anderson seemed to enjoy disrupting the flow of the game at every opportunity and took far too long to book the thug that is Murray Davidson.

Edit: Forgot my man of the match! Three share it for me - Nisbet, Murphy and Allan
    Last edited by Jonnyboy; 27-11-2021 at 09:35 PM.
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

The Porto spot is great. Something he will work. Sometimes goes in a touch early too. It will all come.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After the disappointment of losing to Ross County last Wednesday evening, it was important that we got back to winning ways at McDermid Park but standing in our way was a St. Johnstone side that’s proved a hard nut to crack in recent times. The hosts had some players missing but so too did Hibs as both Boyle and Doidge were suspended with Ryan Porteous returning at the back the only change to the starting eleven.

I have to say that, over the piece, Hibs were the better team throughout but had to show real character after going behind to a St Johnstone side that offered little threat in an attacking sense. Even before the hosts were reduced to ten men, I felt we were controlling the play and looked the most likely to score only for that old weakness of defending crosses see us slip behind. Once they were in front, St Johnstone set up with two banks of five and four to combat us having an extra man, but Jack Ross got things right by stretching them wide and introducing two game changing substitutes.

Inside the first five minutes, both Gullan and Doig had decent efforts on goal and Hibs should really have had the lead soon after a Kevin Nisbet raced on to a through ball provided by Josh Campbell and shot home past Clark. The Assistant Referee flagged offside, but I was sure Nisbet had ran past a defender after the pass was delivered and I’m told that TV evidence shows Kev to have been onside.

The hosts were offering very little going forward whilst in midfield both Davidson and Bryson in the midfield were lucky not to see yellow for a couple of crude fouls. On the quarter hour, Gullan set up Campbell, but the youngster’s shot lacked power and Clark collected easily. Davidson then hacked down Doyle-Hayes and got just a finger wagging. Then, within the space of a couple of minutes, Campbell had another effort clear the bar whilst O’Halloran fired wide of Macey’s far post.

Referee Euan Anderson finally found his card after Bryson chopped down Porteous before Nisbet then set up a chance for Gullan, but Jamie’s drive was blocked on its way to goal. Five minutes from the break, Hanlon conceded a corner which Ali Crawford swung in. The ball was not cleared effectively and came back to Crawford who found Gordon at the back post. The big defender headed the ball towards goal and his effort struck Porteous before rolling into the net. It was a stunner to lose a goal having been on top for much of the game. Half time was close but before it arrived, Campbell hit the post with a header and Bryson hit the bath with a second yellow after a shocking challenge on Joe Newell.

Inevitably, Callum Davidson made a change at the break, replacing Vertainen, a midfielder who’d been playing as a striker, with MacPherson, a midfield player who would play in midfield. Only O’Halloran was in any kind of forward position with the hosts sitting in two banks of five and four in an attempt to secure the three points.

Five minutes in to the half, Chris Cadden got on the end of a Josh Doig cross and hammered the ball past Clark only to see it crash off the crossbar. Minutes later, Davidson was booked for a poor foul on Porteous and the only thing that mystified me was that the St. Johnstone man hadn’t been booked earlier. Hibs were piling forward pretty much at will and both Hanlon and Doig popped up in the home area but couldn’t find the target with their efforts.

Just past the hour mark, Jack Ross replaced Paul McGinn with Jamie Murphy; Cadden dropping deeper to cover. Withing minutes, Murphy tested Clark in the home goal, first with a header and then with a stunning volley after Nisbet had knocked the ball down to him. Clark had virtually no time to react but instinctively threw his arms in the air to push the ball over the bar.

With twenty minutes left, Scott Allan replaced Jamie Gullan and almost immediately Porteous got on the end of a cross, but his header went wide of the post. Sitting watching this I felt that with us dominating possession it could surely only be a matter of time before we equalised, but it was always a case of so near and yet so far as Clark’s goal led a charmed life. Doig drove in from the left and his low shot was saved by the feet of Clark and then Nisbet headed home from a cross, but the goal was ruled out apparently because Porteous had shoved an opponent in the box. I have to say, if goals are going to be ruled out for jostling in the box there’s going to be a lot of low scoring matches in the future.

With seven minutes left, Hibs finally got the reward their play deserved, and it came by virtue of two substitutes combining well to allow Kevin Nisbet to beat Clark from eight yards. Murphy and Boyle exchanged quick passes with the former feeding Nisbet. The very vocal travelling support was now at full volume and Murphy was really unlucky to see a low shot shave the outside of a post before a piece of sheer wizardry from Scott Allan saw him bamboozle his marker just inside the box, look up and pick out Jamie Murphy who fired home from an acute angle. The impact of those two subs cannot be emphasised enough as both goals had them heavily involved.

Due to an earlier lengthy spell of treatment to Ben Gordon, some six minutes of added time meant St. Johnstone could abandon their nine man defensive tactics and get forward at every opportunity. In truth, they could make nothing of the time given to them and in fact the last action of the game almost brought a third goal for Hibs. Nisbet slipped his marker at the half way line, strode forward and spotted Ryan Porteous sprinting unmarked towards the Saints goal. Kevin timed his pass perfectly and Ryan took a few more strides before battering a shot at goal. The ball hit the bar and as it bounced out, Nisbet did his best to steer it into the net but was just not balanced enough and the ball flew over the bar.

The players

Macey – I don’t think Matt will have a quieter ninety minutes this season.

McGinn – Solid as ever and never looked in trouble.

Porteous – Ryan was supreme although it has to be said he wasn’t facing a recognised striker. One thing that does alarm me at times is that he can find himself square on to an opponent running at his and as such is easily passed. He needs to either show that opponent inside or outside as failing to win the challenge puts our goal at risk.

Hanlon – It was noticeable that, even before the sending off, Paul played a lot of the game in the Saints half, often wide left and on occasion in the centre waiting for a cross. Our skipper was never challenged defensively.

Cadden – Chris is growing on me and had a decent ninety minutes, both wide right of a four and deeper right after McGinn went off. Incredibly unlucky that his thunderbolt of a shot hit the bar because it was a goal had it been on target, with Clark well beaten.

Doyle-Hayes – Jake took a couple of hefty knocks during the game but just got up and got on with it. He linked the play from defender to forward very well.

Campbell – Given he’s only just been given a first team chance he has embraced it by offering up excellent performances. Today, four times he got into shooting positions and four times he got his effort away. Granted, he didn’t score but if he keeps taking the chances given it’s only a matter of time.

Newell – Joe was involved in pretty much everything and quite possibly touched the ball more than anyone else on the park. Often, he just quietly goes about his business and today was one of those days.

Doig – Up and down that wing he’s like the road runner with the energy he displays. Add to that his obvious skill, especially going forward, this was Josh’s norm today.

Gullan – Jamie gave his all and didn’t really disappoint at any time. I felt he ran the channels well and was quick to be in the face of defenders trying to play out from the back.

Nisbet – Three times he had the ball in the net but only one counted. I’ve not seen the disallowed two again yet, but I’m already inclined to say the first of the two should have been allowed to stand. Much is made of Kevin’s physical effort, but I thought today he was outstanding, giving his all from first to last.

Murphy – A fit Jamie Murphy is a joy to watch, and he gave the St Johnstone defenders a torrid time of it with his ability to accelerate from a standing start and his eye for a crucial pass.

Allan – Time for me to eat a large slice of humble pie. Last Wednesday I suggested Scotty had run his race at Hibs, much as the thought of that broke my heart but today, in his twenty minute cameo he was absolutely outstanding. His feint and turn to set up the winning goal was worth the admission money alone.

Scott – Worked very hard on his side of the park and, even with recent comments about his weight etc, looked as fit as a butcher’s dog.

Jack Ross – He might have been feeling the pressure, given the losing run in the league before today, but the man is unflappable and deserves credit for making the changes that won us the game.

Referee – Euan Anderson seemed to enjoy disrupting the flow of the game at every opportunity and took far too long to book the thug that is Murray Davidson.
    Spot on synopsis of today's events 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Bryce View Post
    Spot on synopsis of today's events 👍
    Agree apart from the bit which credits Boyle with involvement in the first goal. 😜

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Logie Green View Post
    Agree apart from the bit which credits Boyle with involvement in the first goal. 😜

I spotted that too just shows how important he is that he gets a mention even when suspended. Good report as ever but I think Cadden was playing wingback in a 5 rather than a four from what I saw.

Great write up Jonnyboy. I should stop watching the game and just read your report. 😁
    That would keep the wife and kids happy 😊 yey shopping with the family.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Cheers Jonnyboy, enjoyed that as always!
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by Logie Green View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    I spotted that too just shows how important he is that he gets a mention even when suspended. Good report as ever but I think Cadden was playing wingback in a 5 rather than a four from what I saw.
    Oooops - sorted now
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Thanks John I'm not sure we got a MOTM on Wednesday either but I thought that was deliberate
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    Thanks John I'm not sure we got a MOTM on Wednesday either but I thought that was deliberate
    It was, D. 😉
    This is how it feels

After a first half where we certainly didn't deserve to go in one down we showed some real effort to turn the game around. The officials were utterly abysmal, no way was Nisbet offside and if the ref disallowed his header for what looked at best a slight one handed push by Porteous, why were we not awarded a penalty for a full on two handed push that stopped our forward heading the ball right in front of goal .. why is one push a foul and the other one not, the ref couldn't have had a clearer view of it but did nothing.

It was good to see him so strict with stealing yards at throw ins though, coz in the League cup semi Hibs put the ball out a foot from our corner flag and the throw was taken in line with our 18 yard line.

Macey .... 6 .... No chance with the goal and that aside had practically nothing to do for 90 minutes.

McGinn ... 7 .... Got forward well and barely troubled defensively

Porteous .... 7 ..... Defended well when he had to and did his best to bring the ball forward, after being booed by their fans for most of the game he'll be gutted he hit the bar instead of scoring .... He'll probably also be annoyed that if he hadn't got to the ball at their goal it would almost certainly have been cleared by the Hibs player on the line.

Hanlon .... 7 .... One of those games where he brought the ball up the park really well, his only real error being the shank that lead indirectly to their goal.

Doig .... 7 .... Probably had more to do defensively than McGinn, but still got forward really well and put in some good crosses.

Newell ... 8 .... I thought he was terrific throughout, as he can in games he looked like the calmest player on the park, though sometimes not as effective as he should be, today he actually made a difference.

Cadden ... 7 .... He was decent throughout, though sometimes his final ball wasn't the best, unlucky with his shot that hit the bar.

Doyle - Hayes .... 6 .... Quietly effective without doing anything spectacular.

Campbell ... 6 .... Put himself about and had a decent effort that hit the post, I like his attitude but his elbow to the back of the head of Davidson was a bit naughty and he was lucky not to be booked for it ... I know it was Davidson, but still.

Nisbet ... 8 ... By far his best performance for some time, a sublime finish for his goal that counted and he'll be cursing the officials for the two that didn't.

Gullan ... 6 .... As the OP said, he ran the channels well, but there was one point where we had a break with 3 guys in the box and he waited too long to hit the ball in allowing himself to be crowded out, another whose work rate you cant fault though.

SUBS:

Murphy .... 6 .... Made a difference when he came on and just as I had concluded that the guy couldn't hit a barn door with a shot he goes and scores, even if it was effectively a tap in.

Allan ... 8 .... His ability made a massive difference, instrumental in both goals and his turn and cool headed pass to Murphy for the second was sublime.

Scott ... 4 ... Not on long enough to really show much.

Jack Ross ..... He will be delighted with that win, because if we had failed to turn that around after half time there would probably be a new Ross out thread on here.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Thought Gullan was fantastic today. Excellent work rate. Still think he'll leave in January and be one we regret letting go.

I know it was against 10 men for the second half, but even before that we were great today. Thoroughly deserved three points, just wish we'd scored as many as we deserved.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Brilliant Jonnyboy

Pleased for Scott Allan like you I had him pensioned off and joining Yogi at the Pars

Chris McCart is a no - allowed Nisbet to run past him on his blind side to score what should have been the opener

Good to see Murphy seizing his chance

@hibs.net private member
    Great report as always. Special mention for Chris Cadden’s performance. Outstanding again yesterday. We are starting to see him really contributing to the team. When Doidge is back, those cross balls will hurt teams.

Also loved his passion at the winner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Brilliant Jonnyboy

Pleased for Scott Allan like you I had him pensioned off and joining Yogi at the Pars

Chris McCart is a no - allowed Nisbet to run past him on his blind side to score what should have been the opener

Good to see Murphy seizing his chance
    Hope we are not hoping to sign Chris McCart he will be in his 50s now. Notice Cliff was calling Jamie that during the game.

@hibs.net private member
    Really enjoyed the report. Good performance all round against a very stuffy anti football team.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Really enjoyed the report. Good performance all round against a very stuffy anti football team.
    Agree while taking into account they had a guy sent off just before half time they offered the square root of nothing to the game. Great that both our goals were sharp positive moves which Saints could only dream of scoring.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Hope we are not hoping to sign Chris McCart he will be in his 50s now. Notice Cliff was calling Jamie that during the game.

Jamie then

Hope not as well