hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 134

Thread: Ryan Porteous

  1. #1

    Ryan Porteous

    Are we now finally seeing the importance of Ryan Porteous to the team with our recent run of form?

    Numerous fans got frustrated with him last season with silly mistakes and rightly so, but look at whatís happened to us without him.

    Not long ago we were leading Rangers 1-0 in the league and if we won that game we went top of the league. Porteous got sent off 30 minutes in and since then our results have been

    2-1 Rangers - Defeat without Porteous
    3-0 Dundee United - Defeat without Porteous
    1-0 Aberdeen - Defeat without Porteous
    3-1 Celtic - Defeat with Porteous
    3-1 Rangers - Victory with Porteous
    1-0 Ross County - Defeat without Porteous

    In essence 0 points without him and through to the final of a cup and a loss to Celtic with him.

    Which has seen us fall to 7th in the league, albeit still have 2 games left in hand.

    Not only defensively, but his use of ball and starting the game from the back has also been a massive miss.

    Canít wait to have him back for the foreseeable (hopefully)


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    Coaching Staff SMAXXA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    6,115
    Totally agree

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    45,772
    I have a bad feeling that we're going to have to get used to life without Ryan, sooner rather than later, but hopefully not before the summer.

  5. #4
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    44
    Posts
    15,963
    Heís a good player but Iím not totally convinced heís the difference. Weíve had some poor performances in this run with him in the team. Weíve been losing goals to crosses with him in the team.

    Weíre struggling mainly because weíre garbage at the other end. Porteous made a meal of the Rangers goal at the weekend - if thatís the only goal of the game then heís getting pelters.Similarly, Nisbet (or someone else) scores a couple in the first half last night then that ends up being a different game, with the goal a scrappy consolation goal.

    I think we miss Magennis the most, and we suffer for our dearth of options up front just as much.

    I also agree that Porteous will be on his bike at the earliest opportunity.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Heís a good player but Iím not totally convinced heís the difference. Weíve had some poor performances in this run with him in the team. Weíve been losing goals to crosses with him in the team.

    Weíre struggling mainly because weíre garbage at the other end. Porteous made a meal of the Rangers goal at the weekend - if thatís the only goal of the game then heís getting pelters.Similarly, Nisbet (or someone else) scores a couple in the first half last night then that ends up being a different game, with the goal a scrappy consolation goal.

    I think we miss Magennis the most, and we suffer for our dearth of options up front just as much.

    I also agree that Porteous will be on his bike at the earliest opportunity.
    Magennis is the big miss for me as at least he provides a goal threat and good runs into the box

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are we now finally seeing the importance of Ryan Porteous to the team with our recent run of form?

    Numerous fans got frustrated with him last season with silly mistakes and rightly so, but look at whatís happened to us without him.

    Not long ago we were leading Rangers 1-0 in the league and if we won that game we went top of the league. Porteous got sent off 30 minutes in and since then our results have been

    2-1 Rangers - Defeat without Porteous
    3-0 Dundee United - Defeat without Porteous
    1-0 Aberdeen - Defeat without Porteous
    3-1 Celtic - Defeat with Porteous
    3-1 Rangers - Victory with Porteous
    1-0 Ross County - Defeat without Porteous

    In essence 0 points without him and through to the final of a cup and a loss to Celtic with him.

    Which has seen us fall to 7th in the league, albeit still have 2 games left in hand.

    Not only defensively, but his use of ball and starting the game from the back has also been a massive miss.

    Canít wait to have him back for the foreseeable (hopefully)
    Good post - I had no idea our record was like that with/without him!

    I still get frustrated with some of his rash challenges etc like you say but youíre absolutely right.. heís a big player for us now and hopefully we get him back and keep hold of him for a while yet.

  8. #7
    I donít think Ryan playing would have stoped that daft goal but we 100% need him next to Paul for as many games as possible.

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are we now finally seeing the importance of Ryan Porteous to the team with our recent run of form?

    Numerous fans got frustrated with him last season with silly mistakes and rightly so, but look at what’s happened to us without him.

    Not long ago we were leading Rangers 1-0 in the league and if we won that game we went top of the league. Porteous got sent off 30 minutes in and since then our results have been

    2-1 Rangers - Defeat without Porteous
    3-0 Dundee United - Defeat without Porteous
    1-0 Aberdeen - Defeat without Porteous
    3-1 Celtic - Defeat with Porteous
    3-1 Rangers - Victory with Porteous
    1-0 Ross County - Defeat without Porteous

    In essence 0 points without him and through to the final of a cup and a loss to Celtic with him.

    Which has seen us fall to 7th in the league, albeit still have 2 games left in hand.

    Not only defensively, but his use of ball and starting the game from the back has also been a massive miss.

    Can’t wait to have him back for the foreseeable (hopefully)
    The problem is he missed all those games due to suspension and that is down to his decision making and game management.
    Could have made a difference had he played last night. Daz does not have Ryan's skills on the ball.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 26-11-2021 at 12:00 AM.

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    7,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are we now finally seeing the importance of Ryan Porteous to the team with our recent run of form?

    Numerous fans got frustrated with him last season with silly mistakes and rightly so, but look at whatís happened to us without him.

    Not long ago we were leading Rangers 1-0 in the league and if we won that game we went top of the league. Porteous got sent off 30 minutes in and since then our results have been

    2-1 Rangers - Defeat without Porteous
    3-0 Dundee United - Defeat without Porteous
    1-0 Aberdeen - Defeat without Porteous
    3-1 Celtic - Defeat with Porteous
    3-1 Rangers - Victory with Porteous
    1-0 Ross County - Defeat without Porteous

    In essence 0 points without him and through to the final of a cup and a loss to Celtic with him.

    Which has seen us fall to 7th in the league, albeit still have 2 games left in hand.

    Not only defensively, but his use of ball and starting the game from the back has also been a massive miss.

    Canít wait to have him back for the foreseeable (hopefully)
    Zero points with him in that run too but I agree he is a miss. His passing makes us build from the back more and our team needs all the aggression it can get

  11. #10
    @hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    55
    Posts
    23,325
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The problem is he missed all those games due to suspension and that is down to his decision making and game management.
    Could have made a difference had he played last night. Daz does not have Ryan's skills on the ball.
    No, that was down to a ref who couldnít wait to dish out a red card to him, have seen plenty of challenges in the league since then that should have warranted a red card if refs are going by the book, refs have it in for the lad and he will be out of here in January or hopefully we keep him until the summer, a disgrace how refs have targeted him, if anything that tackle was a word in his ear or at most a yellow card, you going to blame anyone then it should be the ref, but you crack on sticking the boot in to him.

  12. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, that was down to a ref who couldn’t wait to dish out a red card to him, have seen plenty of challenges in the league since then that should have warranted a red card if refs are going by the book, refs have it in for the lad and he will be out of here in January or hopefully we keep him until the summer, a disgrace how refs have targeted him, if anything that tackle was a word in his ear or at most a yellow card, you going to blame anyone then it should be the ref, but you crack on sticking the boot in to him.
    Paul Hanlon plays the same position for the same team and hasn't been sent off for over a decade.
    To say referees have targeted Porteous is absurd. Has anyone who is not a Hibs fan ever supported that opinion?
    Ryan has great ability and will leave in January or in the summer because he is ambitious and Hibs want to cash in before his contract expires in May 2023.
    He will face the same challenge wherever he goes of balancing his natural aggression with the laws of the modern game.

  13. #12
    @hibs.net private member The 90+2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    16,289
    New contracts very close. He isnít going anywhere.

  14. #13
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    424
    Certainly a factor.

    Along with Magennis and Doidge, few others here n there plus general dip in form a group of players too, Nisbet most of all.

    Agree that Ryan adds a lot. Mentally too I think. For everyone saying he has a lot to learn etc, I actually think he's wise beyond his years in a lot of ways. Oozes confidence

  15. #14
    He's a big player

  16. #15
    @hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Southside
    Age
    53
    Posts
    7,602
    Quote Originally Posted by The 90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    New contracts very close. He isnít going anywhere.
    That would be absolutely brilliant if it happens.

  17. #16
    Coaching Staff Since90+2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Leith
    Posts
    7,469
    I think it's his personality more than anything we miss. He has an infectious enthusiasm and determination to succeed that you just don't see in a lot of other players.

    I'd say he's our second most important player after Boyle.

  18. #17
    @hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    West Auckland, NZ
    Age
    37
    Posts
    11,924
    Gamer IDs

    Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Mcgregor is a massive downgrade from Ryan

    Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    8,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mcgregor is a massive downgrade from Ryan

    Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    Aye unfortunately Dazís best days are behind him now. Feel a bit sorry for the guy that heís still relied upon. If it wasnít for our horrendous recruitment in the summer he wouldnít have been

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    The back of beyond
    Posts
    6,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mcgregor is a massive downgrade from Ryan

    Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    Maybe so but we are lucky to have someone with his experience and passion as cover as we saw in the last 15 mins on Sunday.

  21. #20
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    44
    Posts
    15,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it's his personality more than anything we miss. He has an infectious enthusiasm and determination to succeed that you just don't see in a lot of other players.

    I'd say he's our second most important player after Boyle.
    I'd go along with the first part.

    This Hibs side can appear a bit bland and short of personality at times, and you often need a bit of character when you're up against it. Boyle and Porteous have the most out of the current squad.

    Without wanting to go full "the kid's not learning" I do think there are still question marks about his occasional rashness (and his tackling technique can look really questionable at times) - but the rashness is in some ways preferable to the safe, disappear into the shell alternative.

  22. #21
    First Team Breakthrough GRA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Posts
    417
    I'm sure with Ryan in the team our only defeats this season have been against Rangers (his debatable red changed the game), Celtic (where the whole team were like a rabbit caught in headlights for the first 30 minutes) and against Rijeka (which was in the balance until big Daz got sent off).

    He's a huge player for us and is getting better. Still prone to the odd rash moment every few games but those stats speak for themselves. We need him in the team.

  23. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it's his personality more than anything we miss. He has an infectious enthusiasm and determination to succeed that you just don't see in a lot of other players.

    I'd say he's our second most important player after Boyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd go along with the first part.

    This Hibs side can appear a bit bland and short of personality at times, and you often need a bit of character when you're up against it. Boyle and Porteous have the most out of the current squad.

    Without wanting to go full "the kid's not learning" I do think there are still question marks about his occasional rashness (and his tackling technique can look really questionable at times) - but the rashness is in some ways preferable to the safe, disappear into the shell alternative.
    Lots of sense in these posts.
    Ryan has all the natural abilities required for a top class centre half.
    If you add Hanlons brain to Porteous you have an £8 million pound player.
    Without it you currently have a £2.5 million pound player.
    Every rough edge he can knock off will add another £1 million to his value and to his subsequent earning ability.
    If Hibs lose him in the summer we will have to shell out decent money for quality to replace him.
    No way will we get someone of his natural ability but lots of players like Hanlon have the cognitive skills Ryan lacks which help balance out their lesser ability so we could get someone decent in that would work for us.
    Best case scenario would be getting Ryan to extend his contract even if it is just for one extra season but reckon he is gone in the summer leaving the biggest hole since McGinn moved on.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 26-11-2021 at 11:24 AM.

  24. #23
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it's his personality more than anything we miss. He has an infectious enthusiasm and determination to succeed that you just don't see in a lot of other players.

    I'd say he's our second most important player after Boyle.
    Yes, I fully agree.

    Along with Boyle, clearly our two most important players.

    If he remains at Hibs, he is without doubt a future captain.

  25. #24
    Testimonial Due Edinburgh Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,595
    Quote Originally Posted by The 90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    New contracts very close. He isnít going anywhere.
    Hopefully this is true, tying him down for a couple more years is massive!

  26. #25
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    60
    Posts
    38,875
    Ryan is our biggest asset at the moment

  27. #26
    Coaching Staff sleeping giant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Broxburn
    Posts
    18,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ryan is our biggest asset at the moment
    Yip.
    New contract would be great but think it would have been done by now if it was going to happen.

  28. #27
    Coaching Staff sleeping giant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Broxburn
    Posts
    18,542
    Quote Originally Posted by The 90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    New contracts very close. He isnít going anywhere.
    Just seen this.

    Fingers crossed.

  29. #28
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    53,922
    Take Ryan out the side, and we dont move the ball as quick from the back, we dont bring the ball out as well.

    And our quality as a defense is much reduced.

  30. #29
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In der HŲlle
    Posts
    31,648
    Funny, I was thinking the same earlier.

    It surely can't be a coincidence that our poor run of form coincides with his absence.


    Though it's a real slight on our summer recruitment that there's nobody of a good enough standard to cover for him

  31. #30
    @hibs.net private member tamig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    9,425
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Take Ryan out the side, and we dont move the ball as quick from the back, we dont bring the ball out as well.

    And our quality as a defense is much reduced.
    This is the thing a lot of folk - especially fans of other teams - overlook. He is an excellent footballer who likes to bring the ball out and is always looking for the pass that will get attacks going.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)