hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Porteous

Ryan Porteous

Are we now finally seeing the importance of Ryan Porteous to the team with our recent run of form?

Numerous fans got frustrated with him last season with silly mistakes and rightly so, but look at what’s happened to us without him.

Not long ago we were leading Rangers 1-0 in the league and if we won that game we went top of the league. Porteous got sent off 30 minutes in and since then our results have been

2-1 Rangers - Defeat without Porteous
    3-0 Dundee United - Defeat without Porteous
    1-0 Aberdeen - Defeat without Porteous
    3-1 Celtic - Defeat with Porteous
    3-1 Rangers - Victory with Porteous
    1-0 Ross County - Defeat without Porteous

In essence 0 points without him and through to the final of a cup and a loss to Celtic with him.

Which has seen us fall to 7th in the league, albeit still have 2 games left in hand.

Not only defensively, but his use of ball and starting the game from the back has also been a massive miss.

Can’t wait to have him back for the foreseeable (hopefully)

2. Log in to remove the advert

Totally agree

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I have a bad feeling that we're going to have to get used to life without Ryan, sooner rather than later, but hopefully not before the summer.

He’s a good player but I’m not totally convinced he’s the difference. We’ve had some poor performances in this run with him in the team. We’ve been losing goals to crosses with him in the team.

We’re struggling mainly because we’re garbage at the other end. Porteous made a meal of the Rangers goal at the weekend - if that’s the only goal of the game then he’s getting pelters.Similarly, Nisbet (or someone else) scores a couple in the first half last night then that ends up being a different game, with the goal a scrappy consolation goal.

I think we miss Magennis the most, and we suffer for our dearth of options up front just as much.

I also agree that Porteous will be on his bike at the earliest opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He’s a good player but I’m not totally convinced he’s the difference. We’ve had some poor performances in this run with him in the team. We’ve been losing goals to crosses with him in the team.

We’re struggling mainly because we’re garbage at the other end. Porteous made a meal of the Rangers goal at the weekend - if that’s the only goal of the game then he’s getting pelters.Similarly, Nisbet (or someone else) scores a couple in the first half last night then that ends up being a different game, with the goal a scrappy consolation goal.

I think we miss Magennis the most, and we suffer for our dearth of options up front just as much.

I also agree that Porteous will be on his bike at the earliest opportunity.
    Magennis is the big miss for me as at least he provides a goal threat and good runs into the box

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Are we now finally seeing the importance of Ryan Porteous to the team with our recent run of form?

Numerous fans got frustrated with him last season with silly mistakes and rightly so, but look at what’s happened to us without him.

Not long ago we were leading Rangers 1-0 in the league and if we won that game we went top of the league. Porteous got sent off 30 minutes in and since then our results have been

In essence 0 points without him and through to the final of a cup and a loss to Celtic with him.

Which has seen us fall to 7th in the league, albeit still have 2 games left in hand.

Not only defensively, but his use of ball and starting the game from the back has also been a massive miss.

Good post - I had no idea our record was like that with/without him!

I still get frustrated with some of his rash challenges etc like you say but you’re absolutely right.. he’s a big player for us now and hopefully we get him back and keep hold of him for a while yet.

I don’t think Ryan playing would have stoped that daft goal but we 100% need him next to Paul for as many games as possible.

The problem is he missed all those games due to suspension and that is down to his decision making and game management.
    Could have made a difference had he played last night. Daz does not have Ryan's skills on the ball.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 25-11-2021 at 11:00 PM.

@hibs.net private member

Zero points with him in that run too but I agree he is a miss. His passing makes us build from the back more and our team needs all the aggression it can get

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    The problem is he missed all those games due to suspension and that is down to his decision making and game management.
    Could have made a difference had he played last night. Daz does not have Ryan's skills on the ball.
    No, that was down to a ref who couldn’t wait to dish out a red card to him, have seen plenty of challenges in the league since then that should have warranted a red card if refs are going by the book, refs have it in for the lad and he will be out of here in January or hopefully we keep him until the summer, a disgrace how refs have targeted him, if anything that tackle was a word in his ear or at most a yellow card, you going to blame anyone then it should be the ref, but you crack on sticking the boot in to him.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    No, that was down to a ref who couldn’t wait to dish out a red card to him, have seen plenty of challenges in the league since then that should have warranted a red card if refs are going by the book, refs have it in for the lad and he will be out of here in January or hopefully we keep him until the summer, a disgrace how refs have targeted him, if anything that tackle was a word in his ear or at most a yellow card, you going to blame anyone then it should be the ref, but you crack on sticking the boot in to him.
    Paul Hanlon plays the same position for the same team and hasn't been sent off for over a decade.
    To say referees have targeted Porteous is absurd. Has anyone who is not a Hibs fan ever supported that opinion?
    Ryan has great ability and will leave in January or in the summer because he is ambitious and Hibs want to cash in before his contract expires in May 2023.
    He will face the same challenge wherever he goes of balancing his natural aggression with the laws of the modern game.

Left by mutual consent!
    New contracts very close. He isn’t going anywhere.

Certainly a factor.

Along with Magennis and Doidge, few others here n there plus general dip in form a group of players too, Nisbet most of all.

Agree that Ryan adds a lot. Mentally too I think. For everyone saying he has a lot to learn etc, I actually think he's wise beyond his years in a lot of ways. Oozes confidence

He's a big player

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The 90+2 View Post
    That would be absolutely brilliant if it happens.

I think it's his personality more than anything we miss. He has an infectious enthusiasm and determination to succeed that you just don't see in a lot of other players.

I'd say he's our second most important player after Boyle.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Mcgregor is a massive downgrade from Ryan

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post

Aye unfortunately Daz’s best days are behind him now. Feel a bit sorry for the guy that he’s still relied upon. If it wasn’t for our horrendous recruitment in the summer he wouldn’t have been

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post

Maybe so but we are lucky to have someone with his experience and passion as cover as we saw in the last 15 mins on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    I think it's his personality more than anything we miss. He has an infectious enthusiasm and determination to succeed that you just don't see in a lot of other players.

I'd go along with the first part.

This Hibs side can appear a bit bland and short of personality at times, and you often need a bit of character when you're up against it. Boyle and Porteous have the most out of the current squad.

Without wanting to go full "the kid's not learning" I do think there are still question marks about his occasional rashness (and his tackling technique can look really questionable at times) - but the rashness is in some ways preferable to the safe, disappear into the shell alternative.

I'm sure with Ryan in the team our only defeats this season have been against Rangers (his debatable red changed the game), Celtic (where the whole team were like a rabbit caught in headlights for the first 30 minutes) and against Rijeka (which was in the balance until big Daz got sent off).

He's a huge player for us and is getting better. Still prone to the odd rash moment every few games but those stats speak for themselves. We need him in the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I'd go along with the first part.

This Hibs side can appear a bit bland and short of personality at times, and you often need a bit of character when you're up against it. Boyle and Porteous have the most out of the current squad.

Without wanting to go full "the kid's not learning" I do think there are still question marks about his occasional rashness (and his tackling technique can look really questionable at times) - but the rashness is in some ways preferable to the safe, disappear into the shell alternative.
    Lots of sense in these posts.
    Ryan has all the natural abilities required for a top class centre half.
    If you add Hanlons brain to Porteous you have an £8 million pound player.
    Without it you currently have a £2.5 million pound player.
    Every rough edge he can knock off will add another £1 million to his value and to his subsequent earning ability.
    If Hibs lose him in the summer we will have to shell out decent money for quality to replace him.
    No way will we get someone of his natural ability but lots of players like Hanlon have the cognitive skills Ryan lacks which help balance out their lesser ability so we could get someone decent in that would work for us.
    Best case scenario would be getting Ryan to extend his contract even if it is just for one extra season but reckon he is gone in the summer leaving the biggest hole since McGinn moved on.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 26-11-2021 at 10:24 AM.

Left by mutual consent!

Yes, I fully agree.

Along with Boyle, clearly our two most important players.

If he remains at Hibs, he is without doubt a future captain.

Testimonial Due Edinburgh Green's Avatar
    Hopefully this is true, tying him down for a couple more years is massive!

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Ryan is our biggest asset at the moment

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Ryan is our biggest asset at the moment
    Yip.
    New contract would be great but think it would have been done by now if it was going to happen.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Just seen this.

Fingers crossed.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Take Ryan out the side, and we dont move the ball as quick from the back, we dont bring the ball out as well.

And our quality as a defense is much reduced.

Funny, I was thinking the same earlier.

It surely can't be a coincidence that our poor run of form coincides with his absence.

Though it's a real slight on our summer recruitment that there's nobody of a good enough standard to cover for him

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Take Ryan out the side, and we dont move the ball as quick from the back, we dont bring the ball out as well.

And our quality as a defense is much reduced.
    This is the thing a lot of folk - especially fans of other teams - overlook. He is an excellent footballer who likes to bring the ball out and is always looking for the pass that will get attacks going.