hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 45 of 45
  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Finishing bottom 6 is a failure IMO, losing cup finals isn't. I wont to win the cup but winning it and finishing 8th is not a good season to me.
    I disagree with your final sentence as personally think any team outwith the uglies that wins a cup has had a good season regardless of finishing position in the league.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    16,521
    Cup win for bottom six finish? Yes
    Cup win for relegation? No

    It all depends on the size of the sacrifice required to win a cup.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  4. #33
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 'Mains
    Posts
    4,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cup win for bottom six finish? Yes
    Cup win for relegation? No

    It all depends on the size of the sacrifice required to win a cup.
    Exactly how I feel, I'd also add that we'd need to be top 6 the following year or the managers coats will be sitting on a shoogly peg
    cým fallain

  5. #34
    Coaching Staff Ronniekirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Paisley
    Posts
    9,989
    Quote Originally Posted by GRA View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Based on our 3rd place finish for last season we should ideally be looking to match that once again. Failing that at least be competing for a European slot.

    A long way to go but our form (bar the Rangers game) is currently bottom six standard. Not going to get any easier with the packed schedule and injuries/suspensions piling up.

    Hypothetically, would we be willing to trade a place in the top 6 for a cup win? I'd say yes, these opportunities don't come around too often (three cup wins in my lifetime).
    On current form yes I would as we havenít beaten Celtic in a Cup Final since the early 70 s ffs
    But the problem is we have so many games before then ,with a small squad with injuries and Suspensions it might be too big an ask for that to be realistic
    But also in the medium term we need a good transfer window and a return to winning ways If we ended up in bottom six we would rightly be asking why we failed to build on last season and questioning if the Manager was still right person for the job




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by GRA View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Based on our 3rd place finish for last season we should ideally be looking to match that once again. Failing that at least be competing for a European slot.

    A long way to go but our form (bar the Rangers game) is currently bottom six standard. Not going to get any easier with the packed schedule and injuries/suspensions piling up.

    Hypothetically, would we be willing to trade a place in the top 6 for a cup win? I'd say yes, these opportunities don't come around too often (three cup wins in my lifetime).
    No. 3rd place is an absolute game changer financially this season with group stage European football guaranteed. I'd take that over a cup win this season.

  7. #36
    Coaching Staff Wilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Falkirk
    Posts
    5,006
    I want us to be third place in Scotland and troubling the Old Firm every season. Qualifying for Europe where possible and looking to grow and push into European competition.

    Domestic trophies don't do enough for our finances or for our profile as a club outside of Scotland. However, we should be looking to win them anyway as we are one of the biggest clubs entering them every year. That should be as well as the above not instead of.

    It is high expectation not divine right but that is where we should be aiming.

  8. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cup win for bottom six finish? Yes
    Cup win for relegation? No

    It all depends on the size of the sacrifice required to win a cup.
    I'd agree. I've been around long enough to understand that (given its rarity) a Hibs cup win will live far longer in the memory than a top six finish.

    Based on our current atrocious league form I'd accept scraping clear of relegation for a cup win.

  9. #38
    @hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    East Stand
    Age
    37
    Posts
    28,692
    I'd happily sacrifice that cup for a top 3/4 finish and European football next season. I've seen us win both cups already.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

  10. #39
    European football is two rounds and beat by average opponents

  11. #40
    @hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    East Stand
    Age
    37
    Posts
    28,692
    Quote Originally Posted by Cod Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    European football is two rounds and beat by average opponents

    Good couple of trips though.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

  12. #41
    I'd have traded last seasons league place for a cup final win.

    3rd in a 2 horse race means nothing.

    Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

  13. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Cod Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    European football is two rounds and beat by average opponents
    Not for 3rd place this season. Worth millions and European football until Christmas at least.

  14. #43
    Testimonial Due hibby rae's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    polwarth
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,135
    Normally I'd say a cup win, still would if it was the Scottish. But for this season, if either Old Firm win the SC then 3rd place would be the top priority this season.

    Group stage European football would be very memorable, and is far more important in terms of financial benefits than a League Cup win.

  15. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree with your final sentence as personally think any team outwith the uglies that wins a cup has had a good season regardless of finishing position in the league.
    Yep, I've come round to that way of thinking as I get older. Previously I would have said a club of our size should be focusing on top 3 every season but I've come to realise that this only happened on a consistent basis in the post-war years and the 70s when we were not only challenging for the top three but for titles (and even winning them). The reality is that unless there is a almighty shift in what we can spend on players Hibs will by and large continue to have occasional high finishes but will mostly just tick along with the rest of the also-rans. It's not just the ability of the players which lies behind this, it's their mentality too. Most of them simply don't have the mental fortitude to really WANT to take the club to another level. If they did we wouldn't be so regularly beset by soul-sapping runs of defeats and instead of falling flat after a big win we would follow up by digging deep and winning the next, less glamorous one.

    We're hardly alone in this respect, but a cup win can at least light up an otherwise mediocre season (which, if we're being honest, most of ours are).

  16. #45
    Testimonial Due SJNB Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SJNB-Saint John, New Brunswick
    Posts
    2,038
    Cup win every day of the week
    Would be sweeter if, as we now have 5 Euro places, the SFA went back to giving league cup winners a Euro place, even if only the Conf league

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)