hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Finishing bottom 6 is a failure IMO, losing cup finals isn't. I wont to win the cup but winning it and finishing 8th is not a good season to me.
    I disagree with your final sentence as personally think any team outwith the uglies that wins a cup has had a good season regardless of finishing position in the league.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Cup win for bottom six finish? Yes
    Cup win for relegation? No

It all depends on the size of the sacrifice required to win a cup.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post

Exactly how I feel, I'd also add that we'd need to be top 6 the following year or the managers coats will be sitting on a shoogly peg

Quote Originally Posted by GRA View Post
    Based on our 3rd place finish for last season we should ideally be looking to match that once again. Failing that at least be competing for a European slot.

A long way to go but our form (bar the Rangers game) is currently bottom six standard. Not going to get any easier with the packed schedule and injuries/suspensions piling up.

Hypothetically, would we be willing to trade a place in the top 6 for a cup win? I'd say yes, these opportunities don't come around too often (three cup wins in my lifetime).
    On current form yes I would as we haven’t beaten Celtic in a Cup Final since the early 70 s ffs
    But the problem is we have so many games before then ,with a small squad with injuries and Suspensions it might be too big an ask for that to be realistic
    But also in the medium term we need a good transfer window and a return to winning ways If we ended up in bottom six we would rightly be asking why we failed to build on last season and questioning if the Manager was still right person for the job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GRA View Post
    Based on our 3rd place finish for last season we should ideally be looking to match that once again. Failing that at least be competing for a European slot.

A long way to go but our form (bar the Rangers game) is currently bottom six standard. Not going to get any easier with the packed schedule and injuries/suspensions piling up.

Hypothetically, would we be willing to trade a place in the top 6 for a cup win? I'd say yes, these opportunities don't come around too often (three cup wins in my lifetime).
    No. 3rd place is an absolute game changer financially this season with group stage European football guaranteed. I'd take that over a cup win this season.

I want us to be third place in Scotland and troubling the Old Firm every season. Qualifying for Europe where possible and looking to grow and push into European competition.

Domestic trophies don't do enough for our finances or for our profile as a club outside of Scotland. However, we should be looking to win them anyway as we are one of the biggest clubs entering them every year. That should be as well as the above not instead of.

It is high expectation not divine right but that is where we should be aiming.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post

I'd agree. I've been around long enough to understand that (given its rarity) a Hibs cup win will live far longer in the memory than a top six finish.

Based on our current atrocious league form I'd accept scraping clear of relegation for a cup win.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    I'd happily sacrifice that cup for a top 3/4 finish and European football next season. I've seen us win both cups already.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

European football is two rounds and beat by average opponents

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cod Boy View Post

Good couple of trips though.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

I'd have traded last seasons league place for a cup final win.

3rd in a 2 horse race means nothing.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cod Boy View Post
    Not for 3rd place this season. Worth millions and European football until Christmas at least.

Normally I'd say a cup win, still would if it was the Scottish. But for this season, if either Old Firm win the SC then 3rd place would be the top priority this season.

Group stage European football would be very memorable, and is far more important in terms of financial benefits than a League Cup win.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I disagree with your final sentence as personally think any team outwith the uglies that wins a cup has had a good season regardless of finishing position in the league.
    Yep, I've come round to that way of thinking as I get older. Previously I would have said a club of our size should be focusing on top 3 every season but I've come to realise that this only happened on a consistent basis in the post-war years and the 70s when we were not only challenging for the top three but for titles (and even winning them). The reality is that unless there is a almighty shift in what we can spend on players Hibs will by and large continue to have occasional high finishes but will mostly just tick along with the rest of the also-rans. It's not just the ability of the players which lies behind this, it's their mentality too. Most of them simply don't have the mental fortitude to really WANT to take the club to another level. If they did we wouldn't be so regularly beset by soul-sapping runs of defeats and instead of falling flat after a big win we would follow up by digging deep and winning the next, less glamorous one.

We're hardly alone in this respect, but a cup win can at least light up an otherwise mediocre season (which, if we're being honest, most of ours are).

Cup win every day of the week
    Would be sweeter if, as we now have 5 Euro places, the SFA went back to giving league cup winners a Euro place, even if only the Conf league