hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Does anyone else think that forgetting about poor recruitment, that starting 11 should still be good enough to win comfortably last night, even having that bench the players in general are hugely underperforming. Gogic was a regular, Wright got a good few minutes off the bench and Allan hasn't been given any time at all. One of the main problems is Nisbet's general lack of form, he just looks like he can't be arsed.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anyone else think that forgetting about poor recruitment, that starting 11 should still be good enough to win comfortably last night, even having that bench the players in general are hugely underperforming. Gogic was a regular, Wright got a good few minutes off the bench and Allan hasn't been given any time at all. One of the main problems is Nisbet's general lack of form, he just looks like he can't be arsed.
    Nisbet looked better attitude wise last night than he has for some time, his finishing was just abysmal.

That starting eleven should have won that game. The bench had some players who would walk into the Ross County first team too.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    You’re comparing last night to playing the champions in a national cup semi final. We won the game in the first half an hour, sat back and protected what we had for the remainder. We were never going to create chance after chance.

Last night we were playing the team bottom of the league who had one win and conceded 26 goals in their 12 games. We had a couple of decent bits of play in the first half and nothing after the break other than a couple of half chances from the edge of the box.

We’re absolutely toothless as a team except for one man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Nisbet missed one easy headed chance and another that was slightly more difficult in the first half.
    None of the headed chances were easy compared to the County one. The best chance Nisbet had was a shot he hit weakly. We did not create enough good chances due to poor delivery from wide and generally lack of creativity..
    Without Boyle, we have nothing given Nisbet poor form

First Team Breakthrough
    The way I took Ben kensell recent interview on hibs.net that he thinks it will take a couple transfer Windows to sort this squad out so I don’t see jack Ross going anywhere. He also just got to rip up the football department and do it his way. The thing that frustrates me tho is we finished 3rd last year with the same players, regularly winning away. Now we can’t buy a win. The manager has to evolve and find a way to win games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    I just can’t understand how we can perform like we did on Sunday and revert back to gashness in the next game?

Our players are better than that, we’ve just seen what they are capable of. Ross needs to find a way of changing things or cup final or not, he’s on his way.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tmb1875 View Post
    The way I took Ben kensell recent interview on hibs.net that he thinks it will take a couple transfer Windows to sort this squad out so I don’t see jack Ross going anywhere. He also just got to rip up the football department and do it his way. The thing that frustrates me tho is we finished 3rd last year with the same players, regularly winning away. Now we can’t buy a win. The manager has to evolve and find a way to win games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben kinsell also highlighted the importance of fans in the ground in that interview.

If fans aren’t buying into Ross’s management as the weeks and months go on somethings got to give. One of the things he praised about Ross was his consistency of league finishes, remember thinking that wasn’t the case as we we’ve finished 7th and 3rd under him. If we’re back around 6th or 7th again (right now that’s almost looking optimistic) then he’s not delivering the consistency of league placing as he’s looking for either.

I don’t think Ross will be close to losing his job at all just now, if the form doesn’t pick up by around the time of the cup final though then I’m not sure he’ll get the January window to fix it.

Ross seems to be getting a bit of leeway due to the transfer window being so bad, I don’t really get that, that falls under his responsibility as well and isn’t a mitigating factor for him IMO. Mathie and his team were there to assist Ross with transfer targets, not absolve him of the blame if it doesn’t go well.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    I just can’t understand how we can perform like we did on Sunday and revert back to gashness in the next game?

Our players are better than that, we’ve just seen what they are capable of. Ross needs to find a way of changing things or cup final or not, he’s on his way.
    It was touched on elsewhere but on Sunday we were the counter attacking team. Last night it sounds like we were the team being counter attacked on.

I don’t think it’s necessarily a sign of mental weakness of the team or anything like that, it’s just that Sundays game suited our players better.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Ben kinsell also highlighted the importance of fans in the ground in that interview.

If fans aren’t buying into Ross’s management as the weeks and months go on somethings got to give. One of the things he praised about Ross was his consistency of league finishes, remember thinking that wasn’t the case as we we’ve finished 7th and 3rd under him. If we’re back around 6th or 7th again (right now that’s almost looking optimistic) then he’s not delivering the consistency of league placing as he’s looking for either.

I don’t think Ross will be close to losing his job at all just now, if the form doesn’t pick up by around the time of the cup final though then I’m not sure he’ll get the January window to fix it.

Ross seems to be getting a bit of leeway due to the transfer window being so bad, I don’t really get that, that falls under his responsibility as well and isn’t a mitigating factor for him IMO. Mathie and his team were there to assist Ross with transfer targets, not absolve him of the blame if it doesn’t go well.
    Mathie was responsible for identifying players and negotiating the transfers. No surprise he is no longer here. We were a mess in the summer which led to a few panic signings and a scattergun deadline day.

Ross plays a part in the transfer process but there’s a reason he was making the same point in the press all summer. Something wasn’t right.

Quote Originally Posted by 90274 View Post
    Derek McInnes
    I'd rather stick thanks.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I said on the PM board, 'Noticeable by their absence' thread that Sunday was only a sticking plaster and we shouldn't get carried away with it! Business as normal. Poor summer transfer period or not, I think it shows more about the team's mentality than anything else that we cannot muster a win against an opposition miles below us in the financial stakes. This has been Hibs story since I've been a fan starting in the late 60s and continuing on! I think these days, I just brush it off as 'the usual' and get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Mathie was responsible for identifying players and negotiating the transfers. No surprise he is no longer here. We were a mess in the summer which led to a few panic signings and a scattergun deadline day.

Ross plays a part in the transfer process but there’s a reason he was making the same point in the press all summer. Something wasn’t right.
    Yeah I get that but Ross will have his own contacts and knowledge of players as well, if the club were bringing **** to his door, then he should also be in a position to find some as well.

Managers live or die by the players they’ve got and Ross isn’t any different to that. He’s been here a decent length of time now, if the players in his squad aren’t up to it then he’s as responsible as Mathie.

Doesn’t sit right with me that Mathie is taking all the blame for it with no right of reply. I’m sure Mathie and his team will have put lots of players in front of Ross, maybe Ross is the one in the wrong for turning his suggestions down?

We don’t know to be fair, I just think ultimately the squad is Ross’s responsibility, not Mathies.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Yeah I get that but Ross will have his own contacts and knowledge of players as well, if the club were bringing **** to his door, then he should also be in a position to find some as well.

Managers live or die by the players they’ve got and Ross isn’t any different to that. He’s been here a decent length of time now, if the players in his squad aren’t up to it then he’s as responsible as Mathie.

Doesn’t sit right with me that Mathie is taking all the blame for it with no right of reply. I’m sure Mathie and his team will have put lots of players in front of Ross, maybe Ross is the one in the wrong for turning his suggestions down?

We don’t know to be fair, I just think ultimately the squad is Ross’s responsibility, not Mathies.
    Head of recruitment loses job because recruitment was not good enough, that sits fine with me.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Head of recruitment loses job because recruitment was not good enough, that sits fine with me.
    I personally find that a bit simplistic.

Before this window Mathie was very highly rated. Could be lots of factors in a poor transfer window and when it’s the manager that has the final say, I don’t get why he is absolved of all blame.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I think there’s definitely mitigation in terms of the awful summer recruitment. However that only goes so far and is Ross getting as much out of what he does have available as he should be. For me he isn’t.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    God, imagine all the pre-written rants that won't be posted if we actually beat St Johnstone on Saturday.

After one of the biggest wins in our recent history, all it has taken to resurrect this thread was a very narrow defeat away at a form team. I'm stunned tbh.
    Last edited by Diclonius; 25-11-2021 at 12:02 PM.

I personally find that a bit simplistic.

Before this window Mathie was very highly rated. Could be lots of factors in a poor transfer window and when it’s the manager that has the final say, I don’t get why he is absolved of all blame.
    In my mind the way it works is the manager and HOR sit down, discuss areas to improve, analyse and scout realistic targets based on budget and then its up to the CEO and HOR to negotiate the deal, with the manager being the figurehead.

So Jack Ross can identify all the targets in the world, if deals aren't negotiated and the players go elsewhere or don't move at all (Jason Kerr & McCart respectively) then it shouldn't fall at the door of the manager.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    God, imagine all the pre-written rants that won't be posted if we actually beat St Johnstone on Saturday.

After one of the biggest wins in our recent history, all it has taken to resurrect this thread was a very narrow defeat away at a form team. I'm stunned tbh.
    in form team who had won 1 game upto last night and hadn't won at home since around May
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

@hibs.net private member
    For those saying it's just a bad run and we'll come good, I'm curious to know at what point you'll start to doubt Ross? If we lose 8 in a row would that send alarm bells ringing?

When does a bad run become free fall?

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    For those saying it's just a bad run and we'll come good, I'm curious to know at what point you'll start to doubt Ross? If we lose 8 in a row would that send alarm bells ringing?

When does a bad run become free fall?
    Usually when it's too late to do anything
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    We have 6 games between now and the final. Ross needs to address this run, starting with AT LEAST 2 out of 6 points in our next two matches. So if we beat St Johnston I could take a defeat against Rangers or the other way about.

Then we've got 4 games: Motherwell, Livi, St Mirren and Dundee, from which we should take AT LEAST 6 points from 12. As long as these points come, I don't give a **** who we beat and who we don't.

He needs something to turn before the final, no doubt. If we're sitting beaten in a cup final, with fewer than 8 points from 18 then I will be wanting changes.

Sir Alex Ferguson

I think you're being a bit disingenuous there. We finished 7th in a shortened season and we were sitting 11th or so, when Ross took over?

It's points per game that matter. If you look at his points per game since he's come in, we'd be 3rd behind Rangers and Celtic. Clearly this run of defeats will be diminishing that "success" but Jack Ross's win record can't be argued.

@hibs.net private member

The form team?? Their last 6 games:

Motherwell 2-1 RC
    Dundee U 1-0 RC
    RC 2-3 St Mirren
    RC 2-3 Livingston
    Dundee 0-5 RC
    Rangers 4-2 RC

Some form that. Stunned indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    We have 6 games between now and the final. Ross needs to address this run, starting with AT LEAST 2 out of 6 points in our next two matches. So if we beat St Johnston I could take a defeat against Rangers or the other way about.

Then we've got 4 games: Motherwell, Livi, St Mirren and Dundee, from which we should take AT LEAST 6 points from 12. As long as these points come, I don't give a **** who we beat and who we don't.

He needs something to turn before the final, no doubt. If we're sitting beaten in a cup final, with fewer than 8 points from 18 then I will be wanting changes.
    I would agree with this. I also think we need to be roughly within 7-9 points of 3rd place come the winter break. Anything worse than that is probably irretrievable.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    We mustn't be complacent. A run of losing form can become difficult to redeem, particularly when the pressure to gain points becomes acute. We saw that very thing the year we were relegated, when we looked safe until the last few weeks of the season. We need points and fast; the league is always the most important competition. Five defeats on the spin is really bad, but it isn't yet a crisis. However, it will soon become a crisis if the form continues. Ross has enough credit in the bank for now, but it's diminishing.

Personally, I would see how it goes for the next three or four league games. If we find ourselves in a run of eight or nine defeats, with fifteen points points, he will need to go. Football management is savage; that's just the way it is.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I think you're being a bit disingenuous there. We finished 7th in a shortened season and we were sitting 11th or so, when Ross took over?

It's points per game that matter. If you look at his points per game since he's come in, we'd be 3rd behind Rangers and Celtic. Clearly this run of defeats will be diminishing that "success" but Jack Ross's win record can't be argued.
    We were 8th when he took over. There was improvement but not massive.

Form team

If that's good form, what's our 3 points out of the last 18 form to you?

Left by mutual consent!

A form team? They are the worst team in the league.

Ultimately, we did fairly well last season without crowds, or much pressure, while our major rivals were all either in a mess, had just been promoted or weren’t even in the division, so yeah, we finished third, but there would have been little excuse not to.

This year, our rivals are stronger, they’ve kicked on. We haven't. The summer window is a mitigating factor, but not against the likes of Ross County. We should be beating them with what we’ve got, no question.

We’ve pretty much got the worst form in the division now and sliding down the table at a worrying speed. Getting to another cup final is great, but it’s a sticking plaster. If we get to the new year looking more like we’re in a relegation fight than one for Europe, Ross should go, as the players he’s got are, at worst, a mid table side.

No, it’s taken 5 defeats on the bounce in the league with the potential for it to get to 6/7/8. That’s sackable form in any league.

Sunday was an exception. I’d be stunned if we took anything on Saturday.

@hibs.net private member
    League Form Guide from the last 6 games:

Celtic 16
    Rangers 14
    Dundee Utd 10
    Livingston 9
    St.Johnstone 8
    Aberdeen 7
    Motherwell 7
    Dundee 7
    Ross County 6
    Hearts 6