hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Midfield

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think they’re good midfielders but I’m really not sure I’d describe either as “quality”.
    They’re both well above average in SPFL terms. I’d say both could comfortably play at English Championship level - Joe already has.

Not really one of our biggest problem areas to be fair.

2. Log in to remove the advert

If nisbet could do his job we would have been fine tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Weir View Post
    Boyle aside, our whole team is championship at best. Boyle will be sold in January and not replaced.

were in a bad way.
    ****ing hell

@hibs.net private member
    Boyle aside, our whole team is championship at best. Boyle will be sold in January and not replaced.

were in a bad way.
    You must be a lotta fun at a party

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    Newell is an average player as is JDH.
    Folk on here are deluded calling them quality players etc.
    Are they aye, not like you to come on here with something negative

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post
    Newell is a terrific player imo. A massive upgrade on Dylsn. JDH is a very good player also. Those two with MacGennis could be awesome with a strong defence and attack.

In fact imo both JDH and Newell are too good footballers to sit as deep as they do at present . Both have the talent to play a more progressive & attacking midfield role.
    Last edited by Golden Bear; 25-11-2021 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post
    Newell is a terrific player imo. A massive upgrade on Dylsn. JDH is a very good player also. Those two with MacGennis could be awesome with a strong defence and attack.
    The Dylan who played for Hibs is on another level to Newell. Newell is decent enough but McGeough was absolutely brilliant his last 18 months at the club. He's obviously nowhere near to that standard these days though.

were in a bad way.
    You don’t even believe this so why say it

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post

In fact imo both JDH and Newell are too good footballers to sit as deep as they do at present . Both have the talent to play a more progressive & attacking midfield role.
    I regularly defend Newell on here but I agree with this. Especially in a 3-5-2, he should be told to get in the box much more. We don't need him and JDH sitting quite so deep.

But the main issue is Magennis and Murphy are always injured, 2 players who could comfortably play that attacking number 10 role. Dan Mackay is presumably injured too? And Doig has not been the attacking outlet this season, that he was last year. So we're totally reliant on Boyle to create something.

Quote Originally Posted by HibsGW View Post
    You don’t even believe this so why say it
    That poster is a sad Jambo troll. Clear as day surprised they've not been punted yet.

Individually, decent players who most teams would take. Collectively, I’m not sure.

I don’t think we need three centre halves and two deep lying midfielders against Ross County. Chuck in the two wing backs who are unlikely to get you a goal. Campbell doesn’t look particularly creative either. Then you have Nisbet who looks incapable of scoring meaning that as always, you’re pinning your hopes on Boyle.

Midfielders need to be showing a bit more intent going forward. Not looking for everyone to score 10 a season but they should be capable of chipping in with a goal here and there. It’d make a massive difference. None of them want to have a shot.

First Team Breakthrough
    You could argue that the balance isn't quite there but individually Newell and JDH are clearly very good footballers. We drop off massively after that. It says it all that Campbell & Allan are getting minutes.