hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 53 of 53
  1. #31
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why he's a good journalist - he has a wider view of football than a lot of the pundits. I think a lot of what he says is interesting - and some of it not so much. But that's what his job is all about. A lot of people on this website seem to just want to listen to someone who says that everything Hibs is great - while they come on here and slag off every player and manager every time Hibs lose a game.
    Here's the problem with Tom English: he has the ability to make himself sound intelligent and authoritative on a variety of subjects, until he covers a topic that you have some knowledge about - the Hearts' relegation debacle, for instance - and you realise that he's just bull****ting. Once you realise that you can never hear him the same way again. He's basically a stupid person's idea of what a clever person is like.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by PolmontHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    TE having a bit of a disagreement with John Collins on Sportsound podcast.

    thought it was a decent listen until Richard Gough came on and bored the hell out of everyone.. he didnt even see game and blathering on about team needs to be playing for support spending their last £ coming on early morning ferries from Belfast. Aye Richard, just what we need in Scotland.
    Listened to that. I thought Collins came across as an arrogant balloon, disagreeing with everyone and everything, and even more surprisingly and disappointingly giving very little credit to Hibs.

    Richard Goughs comments about the Belfast fans were reinforced by him saying that when he was a player the team "never surrendered". Definitely playing up to the bigot element. Plenty of surrendering at the weekend and 2016 Ricardo.
    Last edited by Brizo; 23-11-2021 at 08:10 AM.

  4. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Brizo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Listened to that. I thought Collins came across as an arrogant balloon, disagreeing with everyone and everything, and even more surprisingly and disappointingly giving very little credit to Hibs.

    Richard Goughs comments about the Belfast fans were reinforced by him saying that when he was a player the team "never surrendered". Definitely playing up to the bigot element. Plenty of surrendering at the weekend and 2016 Ricardo.
    As well as the no surrender stuff he also disrespected Walter Smith by saying when he played his team didnít need a manger.

  5. #34
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Age
    70
    Posts
    4,892
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thatís all very well but where was he in the second half last night ?
    Back of the goals having a kip😂😂😂

  6. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by mal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here's the problem with Tom English: he has the ability to make himself sound intelligent and authoritative on a variety of subjects, until he covers a topic that you have some knowledge about - the Hearts' relegation debacle, for instance - and you realise that he's just bull****ting. Once you realise that you can never hear him the same way again. He's basically a stupid person's idea of what a clever person is like.
    Very accurate assessment! And pretty typical of most journalists in most spheres. If you have in depth knowledge of a subject it quickly becomes apparent what bullsh**ters they generally are.

  7. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's typical English rubbish..he knows nothing about football so spent his time counting up air miles. Zero insight, zero understanding of the game. Tosser

  8. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Brizo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Listened to that. I thought Collins came across as an arrogant balloon, disagreeing with everyone and everything, and even more surprisingly and disappointingly giving very little credit to Hibs.

    Richard Goughs comments about the Belfast fans were reinforced by him saying that when he was a player the team "never surrendered". Definitely playing up to the bigot element. Plenty of surrendering at the weekend and 2016 Ricardo.
    Unfortunately what you say about Collins is true in my experience. Was involved in an award presentation with him in attendance,Iíll not go into details but I increasingly lost respect for him as the event went on. Came away feeling disappointed that he was our manager. Maybe it was a one off and of course he did achieve things at Hibs which I celebrated but at an interpersonal level the one time I met him I found the guy unbearable.

  9. #38
    I reckon that he had done all that travel research in the expectation / hope that Boyle would have a poor game and he would be able to hang it on his Aussie involvement. You could also reverse the age count and explain a Hibs defeat because we played too many youngsters against an experienced Sevco 11. But maybe Iím just a cynical bitter old peg seller.
    Last edited by Brunswickbill; 23-11-2021 at 10:13 AM.

  10. #39
    @hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,402
    The man's basically a stopped clock. I'll not be reading.

  11. #40
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    51
    Posts
    28,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Brizo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Listened to that. I thought Collins came across as an arrogant balloon, disagreeing with everyone and everything, and even more surprisingly and disappointingly giving very little credit to Hibs.

    Richard Goughs comments about the Belfast fans were reinforced by him saying that when he was a player the team "never surrendered". Definitely playing up to the bigot element. Plenty of surrendering at the weekend and 2016 Ricardo.
    Goughs comments were unbelievable. Itís basically a racist anti Irish call to arms. Imagine a retired athlete in another sport in another country making an anti Semitic or anti black trope, do you think it would be ignored by the media? Scotland has a serious problem.

  12. #41
    @hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Worcester, Sassanachland
    Posts
    3,163
    Quote Originally Posted by mal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here's the problem with Tom English: he has the ability to make himself sound intelligent and authoritative on a variety of subjects, until he covers a topic that you have some knowledge about - the Hearts' relegation debacle, for instance - and you realise that he's just bull****ting. Once you realise that you can never hear him the same way again. He's basically a stupid person's idea of what a clever person is like.
    Very well put. The BBC are particularly poor in this respect in my experience. I have a specialist knoweldge of Angling, last week the BBC ran a story about one of the biggest Fishing tackle retailers in the country being blackmailed by hackers...of course they had huge fun making puns about Phishing (although it wasn't a phishing scam, so the joke was flat anyway) but they illustrated the article with a picture of an American Large-Mouthed Bass, even though the company is a British one who only retails in the UK. It's the equivalent of running a story about Rugby and showing a picture of an American football. They haven't a clue.

  13. #42
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    South Oxfordshire
    Age
    67
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Very well put. The BBC are particularly poor in this respect in my experience. I have a specialist knoweldge of Angling, last week the BBC ran a story about one of the biggest Fishing tackle retailers in the country being blackmailed by hackers...of course they had huge fun making puns about Phishing (although it wasn't a phishing scam, so the joke was flat anyway) but they illustrated the article with a picture of an American Large-Mouthed Bass, even though the company is a British one who only retails in the UK. It's the equivalent of running a story about Rugby and showing a picture of an American football. They haven't a clue.
    BBC are the pits....

    The quicker we can dump the licence fee the better.

  14. #43
    Coaching Staff Iain G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    44
    Posts
    11,046
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Very well put. The BBC are particularly poor in this respect in my experience. I have a specialist knoweldge of Angling, last week the BBC ran a story about one of the biggest Fishing tackle retailers in the country being blackmailed by hackers...of course they had huge fun making puns about Phishing (although it wasn't a phishing scam, so the joke was flat anyway) but they illustrated the article with a picture of an American Large-Mouthed Bass, even though the company is a British one who only retails in the UK. It's the equivalent of running a story about Rugby and showing a picture of an American football. They haven't a clue.
    You would have thought they could get the bassics right 😁

  15. #44
    @hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Worcester, Sassanachland
    Posts
    3,163
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You would have thought they could get the bassics right 😁
    Oh MY COD ! I've turned it into a puns thread accidentally

  16. #45
    @hibs.net private member flash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    sunny leith
    Age
    54
    Posts
    9,310
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Very well put. The BBC are particularly poor in this respect in my experience. I have a specialist knoweldge of Angling, last week the BBC ran a story about one of the biggest Fishing tackle retailers in the country being blackmailed by hackers...of course they had huge fun making puns about Phishing (although it wasn't a phishing scam, so the joke was flat anyway) but they illustrated the article with a picture of an American Large-Mouthed Bass, even though the company is a British one who only retails in the UK. It's the equivalent of running a story about Rugby and showing a picture of an American football. They haven't a clue.
    Thank you Alan Partridge.

  17. #46
    Coaching Staff Iain G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    44
    Posts
    11,046
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh MY COD ! I've turned it into a puns thread accidentally
    You made a rod for your own back with that line...

  18. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh MY COD ! I've turned it into a puns thread accidentally
    Youíre skating on very thin ice matey...

  19. #48
    That article is a pile of patronising garbage from an absolutely appalling journalist - sadly most are these days, but he really thinks heís an intellectual within his industry which makes his arrogance and inability to admit when heís made a mistake even more irritating.

    Because of that dearth of talent, he seemed like a breath of fresh air years ago when he first came on the media scene but that period last year where he made an absolute @rse of himself with Budge and his beloved Hearts was easily the most embarrassing Iíve seen from any journo - and I all too vividly remember Alex Cameron..

  20. #49
    Testimonial Due Weegreenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Greenland
    Posts
    1,345
    Anyone remember when he said McGinn was only worth 1.5million and wouldnít get into the Celtic team? 😂😂😂

    Absolute 🛎 end

  21. #50
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    35,808
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Goughs comments were unbelievable. Itís basically a racist anti Irish call to arms. Imagine a retired athlete in another sport in another country making an anti Semitic or anti black trope, do you think it would be ignored by the media? Scotland has a serious problem.
    Did Gough not also admit he didn't watch the game? Way to go BBC

  22. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did Gough not also admit he didn't watch the game? Way to go BBC
    He started by saying he was flying over the Atlantic when the game was on but he had spoken to folk about it. No surrender etc.

  23. #52
    Solipsist Eyrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    PDSBRS
    Posts
    10,649
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did Gough not also admit he didn't watch the game? Way to go BBC
    Makes him a very strange choice to have as a guest discussing a game he hadn't attended, seen or even attempted to watch.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

  24. #53
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thankerton, SL
    Age
    28
    Posts
    12,509
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did Gough not also admit he didn't watch the game? Way to go BBC
    The way he said it was the cringiest thing Iíve ever heard on Sportsound, and thatís really saying something.

    Nothing worse than an Americanised Scottish accent talking about ďflying back to the StatesĒ.
    Last edited by Jones28; 24-11-2021 at 07:29 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)