hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hampden

Quote Originally Posted by Itsnoteasy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would you rather it was bigger & looked half empty. Only Celtic v Rangers would fill it. Scotland have only started filling it as they are winning.

Celtc v anybody else and Rangers v anybody else would fill an 80k capacity stadium

Any combination of Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen would fill a 60k capacity stadium.

Hibs took 38k to a LC Final in 2004;
    Aberdeen took 40k to a League Cup Final in 2014;
    Hearts took ~35k to a SC Final in 2006

My biggest issue, though, is with the fact that the rebuild was so half-hearted that they didn't remove the massive gaps behind the goals. We play our international matches and Cup Finals in a stadium more suited to Athletics.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by davhibby View Post
    The constant moans about it being terrible for getting to and from are strange. The only stadium in the country that comes close in terms of good public transport links is Murrayfield. Then you’ve also got it’s proximity to the motorway and pubs etc. If you were building something from scratch you’d struggle to find a better location considering it would have to be in Glasgow or Edinburgh.
    It is strange we have our national stadium in a provincial city though 😁

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Build a new national stadium outside Stirling.
    That’ll gash for pubs pre match.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    That’ll gash for pubs pre match.
    Depends where it is. If they dump it next to a big Asda and a 5 aside football centre it could be poor.

Love the place and always will. Experienced some sublime atmospheres watching both Hibs and Scotland and suspect a few less hibs fans will be moaning about the place after Sunday 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Celtc v anybody else and Rangers v anybody else would fill an 80k capacity stadium

My biggest issue, though, is with the fact that the rebuild was so half-hearted that they didn't remove the massive gaps behind the goals. We play our international matches and Cup Finals in a stadium more suited to Athletics.
    Which is why they should have moved to Murrayfield but there was no chance the west coast biased SFA were ever going to do that, even with a much better case put forward for Murrayfield.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    The constant moans about it being terrible for getting to and from are strange. The only stadium in the country that comes close in terms of good public transport links is Murrayfield. Then you’ve also got it’s proximity to the motorway and pubs etc. If you were building something from scratch you’d struggle to find a better location considering it would have to be in Glasgow or Edinburgh.
    Honestly think it is very difficult to get away from can remember being stuck in my car about 2 hours after end of Ross County final. Murrayfield a hundred times better stadium and location.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Honestly think it is very difficult to get away from can remember being stuck in my car about 2 hours after end of Ross County final. Murrayfield a hundred times better stadium and location.
    Hampden is an absolute doddle to get away from. If it takes more than 90 minutes to get back to Edinburgh then you're doing it wrong. All that is needed is a wee bit homework to find the (many) alternative exit routes.

Quote Originally Posted by BS44 View Post
    Hampden is an absolute doddle to get away from. If it takes more than 90 minutes to get back to Edinburgh then you're doing it wrong. All that is needed is a wee bit homework to find the (many) alternative exit routes.
    Only a doddle if you know these particular routes. Ross county by car was stuck in absolute gridlock. Celtic cup final was in bus in huge traffic jam were driving about for an hour and still seeing Hampden. Trains after recent Scotland game enormous queues took over an hour to get into central Glasgow. Hardly a doddle to get away from.

It was quite clearly built on the cheap, is too small to be our 'National' Stadium, and the seats behind the goals are ridiculously far from the pitch.

Apart from that it's not too bad.
    Have I been dreaming or did I not read a while ago that a redevelopment was being looked at which would bring the end stands closer to the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Have I been dreaming or did I not read a while ago that a redevelopment was being looked at which would bring the end stands closer to the pitch.
    Yes I think some fanciful development not committed to were in the proposal to prefer it to murrayfield.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Which is why they should have moved to Murrayfield but there was no chance the west coast biased SFA were ever going to do that, even with a much better case put forward for Murrayfield.

The SRU offered to share in the mid 90's, when they had only rebuilt three quarters of Murrayfield.

IIRC, the proposal was that the SFA contribute towards the rebuild of the West Stand and then share the ownership of the stadium.

Whoever it was in charge of the SFA at the time (can't remember now) was quite scornful about the whole idea and said something along the lines of "Glasgow is the home of Scottish football and that's where it's going to stay".

So we ended up with the on-the-cheap, half-arsed rebuild of Hampden that we're stuck with today.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I used to think the same but days like Sunday make going through there and beating them in their own back garden unbeatable. Shows how backwards and ****ed up Scottish football is that I'm even saying that as Murrayfield is a no brainer in reality.

The SRU offered to share in the mid 90's, when they had only rebuilt three quarters of Murrayfield.

IIRC, the proposal was that the SFA contribute towards the rebuild of the West Stand and then share the ownership of the stadium.

Whoever it was in charge of the SFA at the time (can't remember now) was quite scornful about the whole idea and said something along the lines of "Glasgow is the home of Scottish football and that's where it's going to stay".

So we ended up with the on-the-cheap, half-arsed rebuild of Hampden that we're stuck with today.
    Don't know about that but I can tell you that what really stuck in the craw of the SRU mandarins was them getting c.£2m public money towards the redevelopment of Murrayfield in the early 90s with the rest having to be raised via debentures , and with an overspend putting them well over £20m in debt, whereas a couple of years later after the launch of the National Lottery, the SFA got c.£50m towards Hampden's redevelopment.

Left by mutual consent!
    I really do think if Murrayfield was in Glasgow and Hampden was in Edinburgh, most would prefer Hampden as a stadium. I think some folk forget quite how bad Murrayfield is for football games, the view behind both goals is every bit as bad as Hampden is, with the stands being absolutely miles away from the goalmouths

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq_K...b_channel=SPFL

Hampden has its faults, of course, but I think when you ask most Hibs/Hearts fans why they hate it so much, typically the comments that come up relate to transport/accessibility from Edinburgh. In terms of atmosphere I really think it's second to none in Scotland, and I have nothing but wonderful memories from it

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    After the Scotland game on Monday and our game on Sunday, we can definitely put to bed the nonsense that Hampden can’t generate a cracking atmosphere.
    It's the fans who make the atmosphere. That's as as good as I've heard hampden. So many folk commented what a cracking buzz there was at the game.

What size of stadium would be required for say Falkirk v Inverness or a St.Johnstone v Livingston?

Quote Originally Posted by ABZHFC View Post
    I really do think if Murrayfield was in Glasgow and Hampden was in Edinburgh, most would prefer Hampden as a stadium. I think some folk forget quite how bad Murrayfield is for football games, the view behind both goals is every bit as bad as Hampden is, with the stands being absolutely miles away from the goalmouths

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq_K...b_channel=SPFL

Hampden has its faults, of course, but I think when you ask most Hibs/Hearts fans why they hate it so much, typically the comments that come up relate to transport/accessibility from Edinburgh. In terms of atmosphere I really think it's second to none in Scotland, and I have nothing but wonderful memories from it
    Murrayfields not football stadium, great for rugby but very wrong in the dimensional sense for football. Plus it was also a stadium built on the cheap, maybe not quite as cheap as Hampden but still compare it to the Emirates or Wembley, Tottenham or even the Etihad, the only box it ticks is the capacity box.

Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post
    Murrayfields not football stadium, great for rugby but very wrong in the dimensional sense for football. Plus it was also a stadium built on the cheap, maybe not quite as cheap as Hampden but still compare it to the Emirates or Wembley, Tottenham or even the Etihad, the only box it ticks is the capacity box.
    All the big grounds in Scotland have massive flaws.

We really need one massive national stadium but it's never going to happen...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I like that Hampden still looks like Hampden. Can still stand (sit) at the same locations in the stadium as my earliest Hampden memories pre-redevelopment watching Dalglish curl in that goal against Spain, Mo Johnson’s double against France, Keith Wrights header against Rangers and winner against Dunfermline. Always feel nostalgia when returning to the stadium.

A plush new stadium would be nice, but happy enough with what we currently have. For all its faults it still has a soul. The same can’t really be said for some of the new arenas.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    I like that Hampden still looks like Hampden. Can still stand (sit) at the same locations in the stadium as my earliest Hampden memories pre-redevelopment watching Dalglish curl in that goal against Spain, Mo Johnson’s double against France, Keith Wrights header against Rangers and winner against Dunfermline. Always feel nostalgia when returning to the stadium.

A plush new stadium would be nice, but happy enough with what we currently have. For all its faults it still has a soul. The same can’t really be said for some of the new arenas.
    Not sure if you've ever been to the Millennium Stadium, I have, and it highlights exactly what we are missing when compared to Hampden. It's absolutely night and day the atmosphere that can be generated in there compared to the dump we have in Glasgow's South side.

Hampden is too open, the stands are too shallow and deep and it's miles from the pitch. It's really not a good stadium for a national stadium in 2021.

Yes, the atmosphere can be good but that's because whenever we are there it's for a huge game. Massive games tend to have an up for it crowd and good atmospheres.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar

You may be mixing things up. Thatcher's Government in the form of the odious Michael Forsythe as SoS had a meeting with the SFA about building a new National Stadium around Stirling. Jim Farry point blank refused as "Football is a West of Scotland game". Tories told them to f off and that's why there was no Government funding for the rebuild on the current site. I know the Civil Servant who at the time was the Private Secretary.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Build a new national stadium outside Stirling.
    In other words, build a new national stadium, but not in Stirling.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    It is crap to get back to humanity, especially if you’ve had a few jars and rely on public transport. This is even worse when it’s a night game.

Got to our hotel at midnight when I went with the kids for the Moldova game in September.

J

Disagree was at Liverpool Napoli friendly there and was absolutely brilliant atmosphere and importantly views of the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    You may be mixing things up. Thatcher's Government in the form of the odious Michael Forsythe as SoS had a meeting with the SFA about building a new National Stadium around Stirling. Jim Farry point blank refused as "Football is a West of Scotland game". Tories told them to f off and that's why there was no Government funding for the rebuild on the current site. I know the Civil Servant who at the time was the Private Secretary.
    Just £50m lottery funding.

What size of stadium would be required for say Falkirk v Inverness or a St.Johnstone v Livingston?

Tell you what...you let me know what the size of the crowd was the last time Falkirk played Inverness (or St-J plaed Livi) in a Final and I'll get back to you

@hibs.net private member
    Tell you what...you let me know what the size of the crowd was the last time Falkirk played Inverness (or St-J plaed Livi) in a Final and I'll get back to you

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar

i know the attendance for the last St Johnstone v Livingston final

=0

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Not sure if you've ever been to the Millennium Stadium, I have, and it highlights exactly what we are missing when compared to Hampden. It's absolutely night and day the atmosphere that can be generated in there compared to the dump we have in Glasgow's South side.

Hampden is too open, the stands are too shallow and deep and it's miles from the pitch. It's really not a good stadium for a national stadium in 2021.

Yes, the atmosphere can be good but that's because whenever we are there it's for a huge game. Massive games tend to have an up for it crowd and good atmospheres.
    I have (France v New Zealand Rugby World Cup) and was hugely impressed. That development was definitely a stadium success story, but have been in the Aviva Stadium in Dublin and wasn’t that struck by it, and have heard folk say that Wembley has lost a bit of something from the old stadium.