hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matt Macey

Matt Macey

Was at the game tonight and, other than the communication breakdown for rangers' goal, thought he was superb tonight. A number of crosses into the box he leapt up and took the ball, snuffing out the attack. Also seemed to have everything else covered even if it eventually went wide. Loved his reaction at the end too, he knew what that meant.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by WestEndHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was at the game tonight and, other than the communication breakdown for rangers' goal, thought he was superb tonight. A number of crosses into the box he leapt up and took the ball, snuffing out the attack. Also seemed to have everything else covered even if it eventually went wide. Loved his reaction at the end too, he knew what that meant.
    Yes looks as if they have been working on him coming for crosses to nullify our weakness there.

Commanding again. I do wonder if there’s a minority of fans just refuse to take to him for whatever reason. His brilliant performance in the derby should have put any worries about him to bed, but I’m still reading criticism of him on here.

He came put for a few crossers and caught them well which was pleasing to see.

Shame about the goal as he deserved a clean sheet.
    Cougars!!!

Very strong point of his game is claiming crosses.

He was impressive apart from nearly sticking it in his own net which might have changed the game at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    He was impressive apart from nearly sticking it in his own net which might have changed the game at the time.
    'Nearly' means 'didnt'. He took a fast bouncing ball that was rising up into him, controlled it with his outstep and cleared it is another way of looking at it.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    That was all McGregor. What a horrendous pass to give a keeper in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yep McGregor fired a bouncing pass at goal at a 6 foot 7 goalkeeper, was an accident waiting to happen. Aside from that though McGregor was good too but just about keeked myself at that moment.

It sure was...an absolutely horrific backpass which he done well to divert onto Post

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    He had a few shaky/unsure moments but outwith the emotion of the game he took some important crosses and overall done his job

Everyone did last night

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    It sure was...an absolutely horrific backpass which he done well to divert onto Post
    I wouldn't go that far to say he done well to divert it onto the past - if he diverted in it would've been a goalie howler you seen again and again (with obviosukybsone blame on the bad back pass)

He didn't though and we skelped the so onwards and upwards!

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Exactly. Fired a bouncing pass at him at about 100 mph.

Did well all things considered.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Commanding again. I do wonder if there’s a minority of fans just refuse to take to him for whatever reason. His brilliant performance in the derby should have put any worries about him to bed, but I’m still reading criticism of him on here.
    A few folk have blamed him for the goal yesterday without any explanation as to what he did wrong- it's bizarre. I can only assume it's the fans who have been adamant that Rocky was top class and we'd never replace him- sticking to their guns no matter what.

He seems to be subject to a lot nit picking. I was absolutely delighted with the way he commanded his box yesterday- exactly what's needed in a game like that and that's 3 excellent shows he's put on at Hampden. Can't imagine why anyone wouldn't be satisfied with his performances.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I do think that nostalgia plays a big part, Ofir was one of our most loved keepers in recent memory so people forget the mistakes and occasional dodgy game he had and that’s what Macey has to be compared to.

People also forget that Oxley had some storming games before his confidence started to slip before collapsing under competition from Logan in comparison.

I like Macey. He’s a good goalie at this level.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    A few folk have blamed him for the goal yesterday without any explanation as to what he did wrong- it's bizarre. I can only assume it's the fans who have been adamant that Rocky was top class and we'd never replace him- sticking to their guns no matter what.

He seems to be subject to a lot nit picking. I was absolutely delighted with the way he commanded his box yesterday- exactly what's needed in a game like that and that's 3 excellent shows he's put on at Hampden. Can't imagine why anyone wouldn't be satisfied with his performances.
    He was at fault for the goal, there was no pace on the ball, he started to come and changed his mind meaning Porteous had to deal with it at the last second. Other than that he was fairly flawless though and took a few tricky balls out the air to relieve pressure.

You can be satisfied - in fact delighted with his performance, while also understand why he should’ve taken the cross for the goal.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    He was at fault for the goal, there was no pace on the ball, he started to come and changed his mind meaning Porteous had to deal with it at the last second. Other than that he was fairly flawless though and took a few tricky balls out the air to relieve pressure.

You can be satisfied - in fact delighted with his performance, while also understand why he should’ve taken the cross for the goal.
    Would definitely agree he was at fault for the goal. His hesitation left Porteous with a last minute swipe at a ball he didn’t think was his.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    I suppose that his fundamental flaw, is that he is not Rocky. But then Rocky wasn't Ben Williams, and so on and so on.

Rocky was a fab shot stopper, probably best I've seen at that part of goalkeeping for Hibs goalies, but his cross-taking and distribution was sketchy at times. A great servant for five years but Rocky is gone now.

Don't really see what Macey has done wrong since he's joined us. There will always be games where the blame will (rightly or wrongly) lie with him, that's just the nature of the beast being a goalkeeper.

But in some of our biggest games over the last year (cup final, against Hearts and yesterday) he's been outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post

I agree with the last sentence, that its possible to think two things at the same time on this, but i dont think hes particularly at fault for the goal. There are a number of elements going on at the same time 1. Cross deflects off Doig, putting a different trajectory on it, and it WAS coming with pace, so i disagree with you on that 2. Porto moves across into Maceys line of sight, as the ball crosses the 6 yard box the two players are equidistant from the ball, classic 'corridor of uncertainty' where it could be either players responsibility. If Macey commits himself there it could be a collision with porto, he doesnt have hindsight 4. Porto sclaffs it straight to Arfield, not a mistake as such but unfortunate 5. Doyle Hayes has two players to mark at the edge of the box so Arfield is unmarked and gets a free shot away.

So its an Unfortunate sequence of events caused by a few factors including the deflection, sclaffed clearance and outnumbered on the break. I wouldnt blame either player really.

Daft error for the goal due to indecisiveness. It happens.

Other than that he was faultless. Commanding, distribution was good and he made the saves he had to with minimal fuss.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Daft error for the goal due to indecisiveness. It happens.

Other than that he was faultless. Commanding, distribution was good and he made the saves he had to with minimal fuss.
    Not sure PB even if Macey had shouted I think Porto would still have taken the decision to clear purely on defender instinct in a dangerous area.Porto at fault for a poor clearance in my opinion.

I agree with the last sentence, that its possible to think two things at the same time on this, but i dont think hes particularly at fault for the goal. There are a number of elements going on at the same time 1. Cross deflects off Doig, putting a different trajectory on it, and it WAS coming with pace, so i disagree with you on that 2. Porto moves across into Maceys line of sight, as the ball crosses the 6 yard box the two players are equidistant from the ball, classic 'corridor of uncertainty' where it could be either players responsibility. If Macey commits himself there it could be a collision with porto, he doesnt have hindsight 4. Porto sclaffs it straight to Arfield, not a mistake as such but unfortunate 5. Doyle Hayes has two players to mark at the edge of the box so Arfield is unmarked and gets a free shot away.

So its an Unfortunate sequence of events caused by a few factors including the deflection, sclaffed clearance and outnumbered on the break. I wouldnt blame either player really.
    The deflection takes all the pace off. If he doesn’t come fine, but he starts to come and then changes his mind. That’s indecisive which then means Porto has to deal with it at the last second. He can see early that the only danger in the box is Morelos at the back stick, he’s not involving so if he shouts early Porto leaves it well alone. Poor clearance all the same but think it could’ve been avoided.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Surely portos clearance is a mistake should be clearing that away in his sleep. Looks like indecision Porto waiting on a call and Macey not sure when to come for it. Really poor goal yo lose and just glad it wasn't vital.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    I wasn’t aware it had hit the post, it just looked like he miss controlled the ball. I was up the back of G2 right behind the other goal so I was probably as far away as you could be. Tbh I’m glad I didn’t know

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Surely portos clearance is a mistake should be clearing that away in his sleep. Looks like indecision Porto waiting on a call and Macey not sure when to come for it. Really poor goal yo lose and just glad it wasn't vital.
    Aye well i suppose it could be classed as a mistake, i just think theres a few factors going on that made it explainable. If Porto had more time and had passed it straight to Arfield id be more inclined to point fingers at him, but like i said, deflection, moving all over the place, not much time to react, hes a bit off balance. More blame to Porto than to Macey but its just one of those unfortunate occasions. And of course Macey DID hesitate and change his mind, but thats because of the deflection.

If we're going to be picky i suppose we should classify mistakes by severity and explicability, 1 to 5; id have Macey 1 Porto a 2 but nowhere near a Zibby or malkowski at 5

@hibs.net private member

Good summary. I would add that Morelos was within touching distance of Macey and had he called for Porto to leave it Morelos would have made life very difficult for him taking it cleanly. It was Porto’s ball to clear but he too had to deal with the deflection.

I thought the goal was clearly Porteous fault. All he had to do was calmly kick the ball back in direction it came from but by trying to kick it out the way he cuts across it.

He had another poor clearance in his own box in the second half which went 30 feet in the air but only 6ft forward. Fortunately nothing came of it.
    I should also say he also had a load of great tackles, clearances and defensive headers.

As for the passback incident, putting that at McGregors door. Daz also had two far worse pass backs against Aberdeen recently and has been sent off twice in a handful of appearances. One of my favourite players but all the evidence tells me he should have retired from playing in the summer. It comes to every player even great ones like him.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 22-11-2021 at 11:21 AM.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I now get nervous when I see McGregor take to the pitch for us, which has never been the case before. I still love him to bits obviously, but think he’s no longer of the standard we need.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    I thought the goal was clearly Porteous fault. All he had to do was calmly kick the ball true in any direction.
    He had another poor clearance in his own box in the second half which went 30 feet in the air but only 6ft forward. Fortunately nothing came of it.
    I should also say he also had a load of great tackles, clearances and defensive headers and set up Boyle for the 1st goal.

As for the passback incident, putting that at McGregors door. Daz also had two far worse pass backs against Aberdeen recently and has been sent off twice in a handful of appearances. One of my favourite players but all the evidence tells me he should have retired from playing in the summer. It comes to every player even great ones like him.
    I agree that Porto's general play was brilliant, particularly in the air he was commanding. It wasn't him that set up the first goal though it was an intentional chested backpass by Tavernier and he wasn't under any particular pressure. Ballgoun goes down easily under pressure from Porto in front of him, but the ball is nowhere near either of them. The assist was a beautiful bit of skill by Tavernier

On the backpass issue, Macey lifted his hand and was ready to bat the ball off the line if it hadn't hit the post...that would have been a free kick for a pass back, but not a goal.