hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 80 of 80
  1. #61
    Slight change of topic, but I was surprised how much police was around on Sunday in and around Hampden.

    Did the march proceed okay? Walk past it with the fans surrounded by police.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #62
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In der Hölle
    Posts
    31,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy75 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When you say "don't stand for it" what do you mean? Do they call other Rangers fans out at Rangers games? You say they are regulars at Ibrox so they must have some degree of tolerance if they keep going back?

    That's my point exactly.

    Anybody that is happy to sit in a stadium where the majority (yes, the majority) of fans are singing sectarian songs and is happy to go along every week despite that is showing a distinct lack of morals.

    A previous poster made the point that if you replaced the sectarian singing with racist singing, how would they feel about that?

    Let's be honest, there really is no difference in sitting among thousands of white supremacists singing racist songs and constantly using the N word, to sitting among thousands of bigots singing songs about 'fenians' and calling everybody else tarrier or taigs.

  4. #63
    Coaching Staff Since90+2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Leith
    Posts
    7,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's my point exactly.

    Anybody that is happy to sit in a stadium where the majority (yes, the majority) of fans are singing sectarian songs and is happy to go along every week despite that is showing a distinct lack of morals.

    A previous poster made the point that if you replaced the sectarian singing with racist singing, how would they feel about that?

    Let's be honest, there really is no difference in sitting among thousands of white supremacists singing racist songs and constantly using the N word, to sitting among thousands of bigots singing songs about 'fenians' and calling everybody else tarrier or taigs.
    The weird thing is, and you'll know this better than me living in the weedge, I'm not actually sure if it's religious intolerance thats the actual issue despite how it's vocalised a lot of the time.

    It seems to be more an anti Irish and more oddly and recently anti Scottish (atleast in terms of Scottish independence).

    Im pretty certain a huge proportion of Rangers fans aren't Protestant but are actually atheist, despite what they might think. I think some people in this country think if you aren't a church going Catholic it means you're a Protestant.

    Genuinely interested to hear your perspective as someone who lives and works with Rangers supporters.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 23-11-2021 at 03:17 PM.

  5. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The weird thing is, and you'll know this better than me living in the weedge, I'm not actually sure if it's religious intolerance thats the actual issue despite how it's vocalised a lot of the time.

    It seems to be more an anti Irish and more oddly and recently anti Scottish (atleast in terms of Scottish independence).

    Im pretty certain a huge proportion of Rangers fans aren't Protestant but are actually atheist, despite what they might think. I think some people in this country think if you aren't a church going Catholic it means you're a Protestant.

    Genuinely interested to hear your perspective as someone who lives and works with Rangers supporters.
    Most of them are about as orange as a banana with the banana edging it in the iq department.

  6. #65
    Testimonial Due Vini1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Glasgow
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,015
    I think there two kinds of rangers supporters, which I divide into huns and rangers supporters. Huns are the FTP, f the Irish types, who would turn up for orange walks and call anyone and everyone who wasn't like them a tarrier etc. To me they are the majority. The others guys, rangers supporters you often meet through work find the huns to be embarressing, yet nevertheless turn a blind eye and ear to what goes on around them. I have asked guys about it and they think it is a mungo minority of load mouths that are into the FTP stuff. Scratch a bit further and you can a variety of answers like what about the sellic and the idea of the 90 minute bigot, plus its not really as bad as folk make out.

    They also do point out that all Hibs fans are casuals and our support is very violent.

    A few a limited few have admitted that is embarressing, but would be unable to confront the issues.

  7. #66
    @hibs.net private member Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dont know its too dark in here
    Age
    64
    Posts
    11,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Vini1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think there two kinds of rangers supporters, which I divide into huns and rangers supporters. Huns are the FTP, f the Irish types, who would turn up for orange walks and call anyone and everyone who wasn't like them a tarrier etc. To me they are the majority. The others guys, rangers supporters you often meet through work find the huns to be embarressing, yet nevertheless turn a blind eye and ear to what goes on around them. I have asked guys about it and they think it is a mungo minority of load mouths that are into the FTP stuff. Scratch a bit further and you can a variety of answers like what about the sellic and the idea of the 90 minute bigot, plus its not really as bad as folk make out.

    They also do point out that all Hibs fans are casuals and our support is very violent.

    A few a limited few have admitted that is embarressing, but would be unable to confront the issues.
    I'd bet the vast majority of them have that playlist (digital/CD/vinyl) that they play at parties when they think they can get away with it.
    Space to let

  8. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd bet the vast majority of them have that playlist (digital/CD/vinyl) that they play at parties when they think they can get away with it.
    You should see them when Tina Turner comes on the Juke box.

  9. #68
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Dunfermline/London
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The weird thing is, and you'll know this better than me living in the weedge, I'm not actually sure if it's religious intolerance thats the actual issue despite how it's vocalised a lot of the time.

    It seems to be more an anti Irish and more oddly and recently anti Scottish (atleast in terms of Scottish independence).

    Im pretty certain a huge proportion of Rangers fans aren't Protestant but are actually atheist, despite what they might think. I think some people in this country think if you aren't a church going Catholic it means you're a Protestant.

    Genuinely interested to hear your perspective as someone who lives and works with Rangers supporters.
    Its a cult similar to how the right wing uses Christianity in America. In truth they are blood thirsty pitbulls. Hillbillies in America are named as such due to them being followers of King Billy back in the day.

  10. #69
    Testimonial Due Chorley Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Motherwell
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,550
    You never have to scratch far below the surface with these supposed 'moderate' huns to see it's ingrained in all of them.

    A more vile institution in sport you'll struggle to find.

  11. #70
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In der Hölle
    Posts
    31,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The weird thing is, and you'll know this better than me living in the weedge, I'm not actually sure if it's religious intolerance thats the actual issue despite how it's vocalised a lot of the time.

    It seems to be more an anti Irish and more oddly and recently anti Scottish (atleast in terms of Scottish independence).

    Im pretty certain a huge proportion of Rangers fans aren't Protestant but are actually atheist, despite what they might think. I think some people in this country think if you aren't a church going Catholic it means you're a Protestant.

    Genuinely interested to hear your perspective as someone who lives and works with Rangers supporters.

    Yeah, you're absolutely right about the anti-Irish thing. I find that really weird as well as the majority of Rangers Fans I know have no issue outside of matches with people that are of an RC persuasion, or are Irish.

    Sadly there's a hard core of real bigots, then there's the people that join in with them on match days.


    As for the anti-Scottish side; I think I mentioned already that I saw some of them giving abuse to a local resident on Sunday for having a Saltire in their window.

    There's actually been quite a few Saltires in people's windows round here because Scotland were playing so well and getting decent results, but those idiots seemed to presume it was only there to wind them up.


    Weird bunch

  12. #71
    @hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,983
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whoever was responsible for getting the fans in and out of the ground made a right mess of it, there were folk itching for trouble before the game where the fans of both sides were mixing, then post match with Rangers fans having to come through the Hibs support and there were pavement dancers having wee scuffles all the way to the buses. It was probably lucky that the Rangers end emptied long before the Hibs end because if we’d been coming out the stadium together it could have been very messy.
    We came down the tunnel from the South and walked to the open exit. This was the one that took us downstairs and likely to mingle with the currents. We walked to the polis and said how do we get back up, back into the stadium and round? He said, are they letting the Hibs fans out that exit? "Well d'uh". They ran off letting us go through a barrier to join the other happy hibees.

    Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

  13. #72
    @hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    The back of beyond
    Posts
    6,230
    The wall of silence around the bottle throwing incidents at the game is an absolute disgrace but no surprise really.
    Brushed under the carpet as usual despite being spotted on tv and match photos.

  14. #73
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    51
    Posts
    28,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The wall of silence around the bottle throwing incidents at the game is an absolute disgrace but no surprise really.
    Brushed under the carpet as usual despite being spotted on tv and match photos.
    As I’ve said before, in France, the league closes whole stands for the next game when a bottle lands on the pitch. (Although to be fair it’s not working because it keeps happening). But in this country for the Huns it seems to be acceptable.

  15. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As I’ve said before, in France, the league closes whole stands for the next game when a bottle lands on the pitch. (Although to be fair it’s not working because it keeps happening). But in this country for the Huns it seems to be acceptable.
    Not to mention the fuss they made a few years back when a bottle was chucked at aribo and they media were right behind them


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Slight change of topic, but I was surprised how much police was around on Sunday in and around Hampden.

    Did the march proceed okay? Walk past it with the fans surrounded by police.
    The amount of police that appeared behind both goals as soon as the penalty was awarded 😅

  17. #76
    In an overwhelmingly secular 21st century Scotland the "Protestant" label The Rangers fans attach to themselves is simply that, a tribal label. The vast majority have probably never been in the kirk and are even less likely to be able to name the Moderator of the COS. As others have said it's essentially anti-Irish racism towards anyone or any institution which is deemed to have Irish Catholic connections.

    I've a couple of Rangers pals who stopped going decades ago when they were old enough to see the hatred for what it is. I have a couple of extended family members who still go and turn a blind eye to the bigotry. They don't and won't call it out because they feel they are very much in the minority. When I ask them if they would still go if the word fenian in songs was replaced by the n word they become very defensive.

  18. #77
    Testimonial Due Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    The land of winter
    Posts
    1,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You never have to scratch far below the surface with these supposed 'moderate' huns to see it's ingrained in all of them.

    A more vile institution in sport you'll struggle to find.
    I honestly can’t think of too many that are worse. I know there’s clubs out on the continent with proudly racist ‘ultra’ sections, but Rangers are unique in the way it seems to run through their club like a stick of rock. A truly horrible organisation

  19. #78
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    4,278
    I know of enlighten Hearts fans that are embarrassed by the racist/bigotry from a minority of their fans. I was a Chelsea fan in the mud sixties and early eighties but stopped supporting because of the large Nation Front allegiance amongst their support. Don't know if the attached us correct but does point to a large number of sane Rangers' fans.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  20. #79
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    2,586
    My abiding memory of the Sticky Buns as a kid (11/12?) was being spat on down Easter Road by one of them.

    Never even remotely anything like that from Celts fans in all the time I went to those fixtures.

    The Huns really are THE cesspit of European football.

    I loathe them and everything they stand for. Vile, vile pee pul.

    They can shove their pathetic majorette twirling, clown dressing, big drum beating nonsense right up there!

    Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

  21. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My abiding memory of the Sticky Buns as a kid (11/12?) was being spat on down Easter Road by one of them.

    Never even remotely anything like that from Celts fans in all the time I went to those fixtures.

    The Huns really are THE cesspit of European football.

    I loathe them and everything they stand for. Vile, vile pee pul.

    They can shove their pathetic majorette twirling, clown dressing, big drum beating nonsense right up there!

    Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
    When I was 10 I was hit over the head by a bottle of Lanliq, the precursor to Buckfast at Easter Road.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)