hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, work rate is excellent and he puts himself about. I just think when the novelty of a young player breaking through wears off, will that be enough? I’m not sure it is.

I remember having high hopes for Danny Handling, when he came in he worked hard and he was popular for a while because of it and I see similarities with someone like him, see also Fraser Murray to an extent, as an attacking player for a team that wants to finish high up the league he’ll need to build on a promising start. Simply not doing anything wrong won’t be enough longer term to keep his place in the team. I think there’s a danger when young players break into the team to play it safe all the time, short term that’s fine, won’t be enough longer term though.
    I agree with lots of that. It will all be down to Josh continuing to live his life like a prem player. Unlike others who havent been able to stick at it. He has potential right now but lots to work on.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Yes, work rate is excellent and he puts himself about. I just think when the novelty of a young player breaking through wears off, will that be enough? I’m not sure it is.

I remember having high hopes for Danny Handling, when he came in he worked hard and he was popular for a while because of it and I see similarities with someone like him, see also Fraser Murray to an extent, as an attacking player for a team that wants to finish high up the league he’ll need to build on a promising start. Simply not doing anything wrong won’t be enough longer term to keep his place in the team. I think there’s a danger when young players break into the team to play it safe all the time, short term that’s fine, won’t be enough longer term though.
    I don't totally disagree but Josh looks far more physically developed than those two. I also think that he showed some really good play today and he may have went in with a mindset to keep it simple and build on that. He will be a cheap option too and having someone that can come in like that and who fills the squad is a pretty safe option particularly when he is young and could still improve by quite a bit. I'd compare him more to Scott Martin at the moment. Never quite worked out for him Josh looks to have a bit more to his game.

For me it’s harsh to say that all he does is work hard.

For a young player to come into a struggling team and put in 3 performances like that in the space of 6 days deserves huge credit IMO.

For one his fitness to last as much as he has shows how serious he takes his work, how many players let along youngsters who have never played at this level before could do that?

For me it’s the maturity in his performances that I’m impressed with. No he’s not produced a Scott Allan type pass but he protects the ball really well and keeps it moving, something Scotty struggles with at times which means the play breaks down. Being able to look after the ball well in tight areas is just as important as he proved against Rangers by playing the pass to Boyle for the pen. It allows us to build play and create chances - something we’ve done a lot in the last 3 games.

Allan, Wright, Scott, Fraser Murray etc are all some players that have played in the attacking midfielder role for us and been light on the ball or careless in possession.

He gets in the box a lot and was unlucky not to score his header today and also had a shot from distance on target.

I don’t think everyone needs to play the Allan pass to play that role, Magennis was brilliant at it earlier in the season and he never played one once. He got in behind, stretched the back four and always looked after the ball aswell as scoring goals. Campbell is similar to him IMO.

If we can go those 3 performances in the space of 6 days I’m excited what he can do after 6 months once his confidence builds and he becomes more comfortable. Let’s not forget he’s not long back from an injury too.

He's a solid, not spectacular player, so he's a good option to have in a trio with Newell and Doyle-Hayes in a game where we're not going to see a lot of the ball (eg this Wednesday). In a game like Ross County or today, I'd rather see a more creative option like Allan.

As regards Campbell being out of contract at the end of this season, I'd give him a one year extension. That would give us cheap depth and time to assess him properly.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Think he has done really well. He kept his head and composure on the ball during the later stages of yesterdays comeback. I saw a few of his games for City last year and feel he has improved and moved up a level which I took as a good sign of East Mains working. Having Doig, Porto and Campbell playing well for Hibs showed the impact the right loans to League 2 can have.

@hibs.net private member
    Just signed a new deal, unsure how long for.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    Just signed a new deal, unsure how long for.

Glad to see this, hasn't looked out of place at the top level at all.

Good stuff. He will need to keep working very hard to stay in that squad.

I don't think his long term position will be that far forward. More likely to end up a ball winning Central midfielder. Glad we've got him signed up. He's capable of contributing to our squad which is good as a young player.

Players improve by playing football and if they don't find that improvement then they get found out.

The players who have really established themselves in recent years have been throwing in and learned to swim quickly. Of course they still make mistakes that get ironed out with experience but on the whole they cope with 1st team football.

In recent years Hibs have had a lot of players who have been on the fringes but really haven't kicked on. At 20, 21, 22 we were still talking about them as if they were 16 or 17. Guys like Scott Martin, Alex Harris, Fraser Murray, Danny Handling, Sam Stanton etc etc. A few of them were unfortunate in having their opportunities limited due to the players ahead of them but there comes a point when the kid gloves have to come off.

Josh is 21 himself now so he's at a point where he has to be staking his claim. Thus far he has slotted in well and the best compliment I can pay him is to say he didn't stand out for any of the wrong reasons in the semi final v Rangers, he fitted in seamlessly and went quietly about his work. A hefty contract extension suggests the management like what they see and hopefully he kicks on as a 1st team regular from here on.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Delighted for him, he’s looked a decent prospect every time I’ve seen him. He’s one that’s came out of the blue for me as I hadn’t really heard of him before the Celtic game.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Liked him from the very first day I clapped eyes on him in a League Cup tie Stirling Albion away where he looked a very skilful and energetic midfield player

After that he disappeared out on loan

Good to see him being given and taking his chance

Onwards and upwards

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Good news. In terms of the comments about us needing him to play a Scott Allan type pass in the position he’s been playing, I’m not convinced attacking mid is really his position. I think he’s just been filling in there. Whenever I’d seen him play prior to his current run in the team, he was played further back, maybe more the role of JDH. I think it might be unfair to judge on his abilities in the #10 role.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Well done Josh, pleased for you

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Well done Josh, pleased for you
    Yes great news. Outstanding in last three games. Developing all the time.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Good news. In terms of the comments about us needing him to play a Scott Allan type pass in the position he’s been playing, I’m not convinced attacking mid is really his position. I think he’s just been filling in there. Whenever I’d seen him play prior to his current run in the team, he was played further back, maybe more the role of JDH. I think it might be unfair to judge on his abilities in the #10 role.

Think his best role is meant to be a more energetic box to box type than JDH who likes to sit deep.

From the little I seen/heard of him at City he was extremely fit - covering a lot of ground getting up and down the pitch and pressing well, and would also score a lot of goals from joining attacks late and making good runs into the box.

Wow, new contract until 2025.

I thought he would get a new contract but must admit I’m surprised at the length of it.

Well done though Josh, you’ve been very impressive the past couple of weeks so keep kicking on the same way and you’ll be fine!

Crazy how a couple of weeks can change things. He must have had the fear about being released and I’m sure a large number of our support had never heard of him prior to the Celtic game.

That's good news to hear. Have been impressed so far In a he short amount of games he has played.

Let's be having a goal tonight josh.

Good news, Josh looked good a couple of years ago and his loan spells have obviously helped.

Great news

Ross has shown massive trust in him to start him at hampden, says a lot on how much he rates him

Great to see another youngster through. Any team needs a few young lads in there.

With the emergence of Campbell maybe a central midfielder may not be required in Jan. happy days

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Like the look of the lad and I’m glad Hibs are continuing to invest in him.

Superb news. Gives us the legs we need in midfield.

Dylan Tait is a really good young player with a very good amount of games under his belt for his age and at a decent level.

It will be really interesting to see how he gets on with us as I imagine with Magennis being out, he’ll be looking at things at thinking the role Campbell is doing is perfect for him.

It will be interesting to see how Ross manages it as well have a shed load of midfielders/attackers that can play similar roles comes January

Wide/attacking

Cadden
    Boyle
    Mueller
    Wright
    Murphy
    McKay
    Scott
    Gullan

Central

Newell
    JDH
    Hallberg
    Gogic
    Campbell
    Allan
    Magennis
    Tait
    Scott (played as a number 10 on occasion for us).

That’s once our new signings are in and injuries are back which all seems to be the case for January. I imagine more will come in capable of playing these positions so it’s a case of who is leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Dylan Tait is a really good young player with a very good amount of games under his belt for his age and at a decent level.

It will be really interesting to see how he gets on with us as I imagine with Magennis being out, he’ll be looking at things at thinking the role Campbell is doing is perfect for him.

It will be interesting to see how Ross manages it as well have a shed load of midfielders/attackers that can play similar roles comes January

Wide/attacking

Cadden
    Boyle
    Mueller
    Wright
    Murphy
    McKay
    Scott
    Gullan

Central

Newell
    JDH
    Hallberg
    Gogic
    Campbell
    Allan
    Magennis
    Tait
    Scott (played as a number 10 on occasion for us).

That’s once our new signings are in and injuries are back which all seems to be the case for January. I imagine more will come in capable of playing these positions so it’s a case of who is leaving.
    I can see Scott going back and Wright moving on, that still leaves us with Boyle, Murphy, Mueller, Mackay and Gullan, plenty of wide options. It all depends if Ross stays with 3412 or reverts back to 4231 he played earlier, suppose he can play either depending who's fit and available and who we're playing. All about options and competition for positions.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I can see Scott going back and Wright moving on, that still leaves us with Boyle, Murphy, Mueller, Mackay and Gullan, plenty of wide options. It all depends if Ross stays with 3412 or reverts back to 4231 he played earlier, suppose he can play either depending who's fit and available and who we're playing. All about options and competition for positions.
    I would like Mackay to go on loan in January and get some proper game time until end of the season.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Well done Josh well deserved. Has been excellent in the last few games. Looks genuinely two footed and a good engine. Just shows you young players will get a chance to shine if they work hard enough and take their opportunity.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Didn't realise he was only 21

Thought he was a few years older than that

Seems to have a bit about him, hopefully he can keep progressing

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Slightly surprised at the length of the deal, but Campbell is playing well for us so I'm pleased he's got the extension.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I don't think his long term position will be that far forward. More likely to end up a ball winning Central midfielder. Glad we've got him signed up. He's capable of contributing to our squad which is good as a young player.
    I agree, when he dropped back against Saints he looked really assured. Good to have lots of solid players to build the future around