hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gogic

Gogic

Last season I thought he was a revelation early on and was exactly what we needed.

However for the last 9 months or so would it be fair to say the guy is actually detrimental to us defensively?

It’s a shame as I have no idea what’s happened to him but for someone who’s strength is meant to be defensively i genuinely believe hes causing us huge problems

2. Log in to remove the advert

He's similar to big Bartley, both limited in their skill set but do the spoiler job well. We're moving on from needing that type of player and are looking for the clever deep playmaker like JDH. We had Dylan do that role when Marv was here and he struggled for game time during that 6 months spell under Lennon.

@hibs.net private member
    He's been poor the first few games but I actually thought he looked much better yesterday and last week against Hearts, albeit coming off the bench.

He is a limited player but the big thing for me last couple of games is him not giving the ball away. He won't be picking out Scott Allan type passes but he's found a Hibs shirt much more consistently, even if that's just playing a simple ball.

He was fine yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was fine yesterday.
    He was indeed and got forward a fair bit too.

@hibs.net private member hibeejeebies's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDoidge View Post
    Last season I thought he was a revelation early on and was exactly what we needed.

However for the last 9 months or so would it be fair to say the guy is actually detrimental to us defensively?

It’s a shame as I have no idea what’s happened to him but for someone who’s strength is meant to be defensively i genuinely believe hes causing us huge problems
    9 months is a wee bit OTT Disco.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Let’s start a thread on every Hibs player, just so we can moan like ****. Next........

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    He's been poor the first few games but I actually thought he looked much better yesterday and last week against Hearts, albeit coming off the bench.

He is a limited player but the big thing for me last couple of games is him not giving the ball away. He won't be picking out Scott Allan type passes but he's found a Hibs shirt much more consistently, even if that's just playing a simple ball.
    Think this sums it up well. Had a poor start to the season but has got his form back last 2 games. Goga gives his all every time he pulls on the shirt and generally closes gaps all over the place but because of a new playing style he will likely find his game time more limited.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post

Agree absolutely fine the last two games. Give us something we need in the balance of the squad.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    He was fine yesterday.
    Totally agree.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Let’s start a thread on every Hibs player, just so we can moan like ****. Next........
    It was a fair enough post from the original poster to be fair. He wasn't mean spirited about Gogic in any way.

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    He's similar to big Bartley, both limited in their skill set but do the spoiler job well. We're moving on from needing that type of player and are looking for the clever deep playmaker like JDH. We had Dylan do that role when Marv was here and he struggled for game time during that 6 months spell under Lennon.
    Put some respect on Marv's name!

10x the player gogic is. Yes, the role on the pitch they're being asked to perform is similar, but in terms of who can perform that role better: Marv.
    Who's better on the ball: Marv.
    Who gets about the park more: Marv.
    Reading of the game? Marv.
    Who hates the hearts more? Marv.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Leith View Post

10x the player gogic is. Yes, the role on the pitch they're being asked to perform is similar, but in terms of who can perform that role better: Marv.
    Not really. Very similar players.

Put some respect on Marv's name! 10x the player gogic is. Yes, the role on the pitch they're being asked to perform is similar, but in terms of who can perform that role better: Marv. Who's better on the ball: Marv. Who gets about the park more: Marv. Reading of the game? Marv. Who hates the hearts more? Marv.
    Nothing in it, if anything Gogic is better. Most of Marvs games for Hibs in the championship. Never had a season like Gogic did last year in the top flight for Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Gogic dragged us through some games last season. One of our best performers. Not sure why he's continually not tracking his man this season. Maybe he's one of these players that needs to play every week to keep his levels up.

Remember the disaster of when Hecky got rid of our two decent DMs (and brought in the waste of a wage that was Josh Vela) and teams were slicing through us with ease in 2019? Gogic steadied the ship last season and was solid. I'm a fan of his but I admit he's started the season poorly. Hopefully just a dip, he gets his confidence back and performs to the levels of last season 💪

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    It was a fair enough post from the original poster to be fair. He wasn't mean spirited about Gogic in any way.
    No , I guess saying he is detrimental to us defensively and that he is causing the side huge problems is entirely fair to some. I just happen to think it's a
    utter nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    No , I guess saying he is detrimental to us defensively and that he is causing the side huge problems is entirely fair to some. I just happen to think it's a
    utter nonsense.
    What a right grump you are. OP is bringing up a very reasonable point for discussion.

There's no disrespect to Bartley, he's your battling get stuck in defensive midfielder and was part of a fairly successful team, the fans loved his attitude and he got Hibs but when we got the Dylan/McGinn/Allan combo playing he became a bit part player that last 6 months. He was your typical get stuck in battling defensive midfielder, technically better than Gogic but did his job well and left Hibs a season too early. We could do with a Bartley of 5 years ago now.

Think Bartley, certainly in his prime years, was a level above Gogic.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Bartley defo a better footballer than Gogic but after watching the Dundee derby on Sunday would not complain if Gogic started on Thursday

Let’s hope he brings his A game

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I rated Bartley & I think Gogic has shown that he's capable of doing a decent job for Hibs.

For me, the only way to compare them fairly is to play them alongside the same midfieders. Gogic would probably have looked for more at ease if he was playing alongside SJM & McGeouch.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 21-09-2021 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vercol36 View Post
    What a right grump you are. OP is bringing up a very reasonable point for discussion.
    Saying that Gogic has been a liability for the past nine months and is currently causing the side huge problems is far from being reasonable. Maybe they could try qualifying that a bit more and give us a bit of a clue as to what they are referring to?

He was a part of a pretty successful 1st season and will no doubt contribute effectively over the course of the current one.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Wouldn’t surprise me if he started on Thursday

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Never got on on Sunday but seemed to really enjoy the post match celebrations

https://twitter.com/hibsclass/status...607707652?s=21

Marv was definitely a better player than Gogic IMO.

I agree Gogic hasn't hit the heights of last season but there is still a place in the squad for the type of player he is. He will also hopefully find better form again. I think he still has the ability to be a good player for us even if he doesn't start every week.

Quote Originally Posted by IncredibleHibee View Post
    Marv was definitely a better player than Gogic IMO.

I agree Gogic hasn't hit the heights of last season but there is still a place in the squad for the type of player he is. He will also hopefully find better form again. I think he still has the ability to be a good player for us even if he doesn't start every week.
    Is it just me who thinks he'd be a decent sweeper? I saw him play at centre half for Hamilton and he was tremendous in one game against rangers. Play him behind Hanlon and porteous and push the full backs up the park

Quote Originally Posted by JDT View Post
    Is it just me who thinks he'd be a decent sweeper? I saw him play at centre half for Hamilton and he was tremendous in one game against rangers. Play him behind Hanlon and porteous and push the full backs up the park
    Need to be able to pass a ball to play as a sweeper... Think Sauzee, Beckenbauer etc. All brilliant technical players, Gogic is a CDM all day long, proper tank of a guy but couldn't pass water

Quote Originally Posted by JDT View Post
    I don't fancy Gogic as a sweeper but I'd wondered if McGinn might be decent there? (This was when Porto was suspended, Wood had struggled a bit against United, we were short at CH and we were wondering how to cobble a team together for the next game).

McGinn is quick, decent on the ball and reads the game well. He's maybe just a bit light to be a CH in a 2 but does well on the right of a back 3 and if we had a couple of knuckle heads at CH to win the ball (such as McGregor and Gogic) then McGinn might be the balance there in between them?

It wouldn't be my first choice - obviously - but with the mental run of games we've got coming up next month, we might find ourselves being forced to be creative, or even just to use the full depth of the squad voluntarily to avoid us picking up more injuries and suspensions.
    Last edited by Smartie; 23-11-2021 at 11:12 PM.

Loved seeing his reaction and there seemed a real togetherness with the players