hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 309 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seems absolutely pointless to me, he’s just in the door and after a bright start hasn’t looked anything special recently, well before the clicks break but you know what I mean.

That’s not me writing him off or anything, just that a new contract at this time seems unnecessary.
    Really struggled after getting covid. Some were wanting him to get a new contract after his start to the season from what I can remember, he was tremendous. Hopefully more of that to come.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    It'll be interesting to see what happens with Drey Wright.

Assuming that his contract is up at the end of this season, you would think he would want to play more to help him win a new contract. That's not going to happen at Hibs, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him go out on loan. Apart from a return to Saints, I can't see anyone wanting to recruit him in the summer, so he has to play more to put himself in the shop window.
    Yeah needs to get himself teed up for a new club next season.
    Similarly Allan, Gullan and Gogic but will only be allowed to go out on loan if Ross decides he doesn't need them for the second half of the season.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 19-11-2021 at 12:45 PM.

Stevenson
    Hanlon
    Doidge
    Doyle Hayes

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come in January.

Announce McCart, McGrath and Charles.

@hibs.net private member NorthNorfolkHFC's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: walton83
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    It'll be interesting to see what happens with Drey Wright.

Assuming that his contract is up at the end of this season, you would think he would want to play more to help him win a new contract. That's not going to happen at Hibs, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him go out on loan. Apart from a return to Saints, I can't see anyone wanting to recruit him in the summer, so he has to play more to put himself in the shop window.
    Such a disappointing signing. He’s really done nothing of merit.

Feel for him a bit as it’s not worked out but think he’s an ok lad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "Putting a damp spoon back in the bowl is the tea-drinking equivalent of sharing a needle!"

Quote Originally Posted by NorthNorfolkHFC View Post

Scoring the first goal and ending Rangers record-breaking run of clean sheets wasn't too shabby!

@hibs.net private member Auckland Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthNorfolkHFC View Post

He's been absolutely horrific. His confidence is shot and he needs to move on ASAP.

Don't like to stick the knife into any of our players but he's one of the worst signings I've seen at ER for many a year.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Auckland Hibs View Post
    He's been absolutely horrific. His confidence is shot and he needs to move on ASAP.

Don't like to stick the knife into any of our players but he's one of the worst signings I've seen at ER for many a year.
    Chill out ffs, there’s been a lot worse. A lot.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    I agree. Not had much of an impact. But neither has he had much game time ..there are many many that have been worse than him..looks decent technically, but lacking confidence imo

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I agree. Not had much of an impact. But neither has he had much game time ..there are many many that have been worse than him..looks decent technically, but lacking confidence imo
    Actually think he's looked lively the past few appearances from the bench. Then as soon as one pass goes astray that's it for a good number of the fans. Feel for the guy. If he stays until the end of the season hopefully he can prove he's worth keeping around.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Actually think he's looked lively the past few appearances from the bench. Then as soon as one pass goes astray that's it for a good number of the fans. Feel for the guy. If he stays until the end of the season hopefully he can prove he's worth keeping around.
    Yes J. I’d agree with that too..has brought some energy into the team on his last few appearances ..but yes, needs to stop these slack passes too …one of those players that needs a great game to boost his confidence I think ..got lots of skills, bet he’s good in training …

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Correct. If anyone has the energy, have a trawl back through the archives for some of the stuff that was written about Christian Doidge in his first dozen or so games. I remember talk of him being “raped” by the Alloa back 4 or some such....Some changed ideals all right! (and I know Drey Wright has been around a while but still...)

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Porto contract renewal tomorrow would be a real boost ahead of Sunday 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Correct. If anyone has the energy, have a trawl back through the archives for some of the stuff that was written about Christian Doidge in his first dozen or so games. I remember talk of him being “raped” by the Alloa back 4 or some such....Some changed ideals all right! (and I know Drey Wright has been around a while but still...)
    Some poster telling Newell to **** off back to Love Island about 3 games in to his Hibs career was a particular favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    There were more than a few that could see big Christian would come good despite his early misses as he was working extremely hard, getting into good goal-scoring positions as quality strikers do. It was also evident he was more than a handful physically against opposition defenses. It was just a matter of time before he scored and would go on to win over the doubters and become a fans favourite.

As for Drey its not so obvious and it will take a heck of a lot to win over those who've already made their minds up about him, however, its not an impossible task with a few sterling performances but time is running out for Drey unfortunately.

In fairness to Drey Wright I think he’s the type of player that needs to play week in week out to get upto speed and get a bit of confidence.

The first couple of games I saw him I was responsibly impressed, I remember him up front against Aberdeen and thought he had really good movement.

I’ve no doubt he’ll go to a bottom 6 team where he’ll play most weeks and be a really consistent performer.

My thing with him as a winger is I never had any confidence that he’d beat a man and put in a good cross. He’s quite good when it’s quite tight though and he manipulates the ball/his body to create a yard of space.

Whatever happens I wish him well, a lot of what he has done hasn’t came off for him but I’ve no problems with him and it’s sad to see he lacked confidence to push on.

Some signings work out brilliant, some dont.

You chill ffs.

Who's been worse in since we signed Wright?

@hibs.net private member
    You chill ffs.

Who's been worse in since we signed Wright?
    Your post said he was the worst player “for many a year”, not since we signed him….

That’s what was ridiculous about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your post said he was the worst player “for many a year”, not since we signed him….

That’s what was ridiculous about it.

Ok.

Who's been worse in recent or many a year?

I don't rate him, he's been horrific since he joined -and he's a waste of a wage, hence why we tried to get rid of him on the last day of the transfer window.

I'm entitled to have a different point of view without it being deemed ridiculous.

@hibs.net private member

Winter 2021-22 transfer thread

Ok.

I don't rate him, he's been horrific since he joined -and he's a waste of a wage, hence why we tried to get rid of him on the last day of the transfer window.

I'm entitled to have a different point of view without it being deemed ridiculous.
    He’s not been horrific since he joined…and he’s done alright when he has come on in recent games….he has hardly played. Not had much game time. Not done anywhere near enough for us, sure…but terms like horrific are just hyperbole and makes me wonder if you actually watch any of the games…

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Ok.

the thing is, you have taken an extreme stance. If you had said that the signing hadn’t worked out so far and that his contribution has been disappointing, then nobody would argue. But instead you decided to go the way of hyperbole and therefore that is going to attract criticism. It’s your prerogative to take an extreme position, but it’s also others posters right to suggest you are exaggerating for effect. If you take a radical position, don’t then pretend to be surprised when others disagree with you.

There is a current trend on here for some posters to use provocative language and overly demeaning terms to describe Hibs players, and then act all hurt and righteous when another poster accuses them of exaggerating. Personally, it just comes across as hypocritical to me. The language you use to describe a player who has obviously struggled for form, and confidence ( almost certainly partly because of the abuse he receives) but is also obviously trying hard stinks of grandstanding. Try using less emotive terms to describe things and you will get a less emotive response.

@hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar
    Ok.

I'm with you on this one AH. I hate to see fans slating our own players but anyone who thinks he's made a decent contribution is kidding themselves. He's not had game time because he's not good enough to make our first 11. A poor signing and like you I'd go as far as to say that he's been one the worst players I've seen at Hibs in recent years. Maybe he'd be better suited to another club idk but hope he's moved on in January.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by allmodcons View Post
    I'm with you on this one AH. I hate to see fans slating our own players but anyone who thinks he's made a decent contribution is kidding themselves. He's not had game time because he's not good enough to make our first 11. A poor signing and like you I'd go as far as to say that he's been one the worst players I've seen at Hibs in recent years. Maybe he'd be better suited to another club idk but hope he's moved on in January.
    Not a single poster has suggested he’s done well enough. People are just pushing back on the exaggerated criticism. And I don’t think he’s a poor player. He’s done OK in his recent couple of cameos. He’s just not done anywhere near enough to be a good signing for us.

Despite that, there are others who I’d say have contributed less…off the top of my head…

Eardley, James, Vela, stephen mcGinn, Nathan Wood, James Scott to name a few

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    the thing is, you have taken an extreme stance. If you had said that the signing hadn’t worked out so far and that his contribution has been disappointing, then nobody would argue. But instead you decided to go the way of hyperbole and therefore that is going to attract criticism. It’s your prerogative to take an extreme position, but it’s also others posters right to suggest you are exaggerating for effect. If you take a radical position, don’t then pretend to be surprised when others disagree with you.

There is a current trend on here for some posters to use provocative language and overly demeaning terms to describe Hibs players, and then act all hurt and righteous when another poster accuses them of exaggerating. Personally, it just comes across as hypocritical to me. The language you use to describe a player who has obviously struggled for form, and confidence ( almost certainly partly because of the abuse he receives) but is also obviously trying hard stinks of grandstanding. Try using less emotive terms to describe things and you will get a less emotive response.
    I wasn't trying to be controversial by using the terminology horrific, that's my view of his time at ER. It doesn't make me feel happy seeing any player fail, I hope he turns it around starting this weekend.

I'm not offended by someone having a different opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    In fairness to Drey Wright I think he’s the type of player that needs to play week in week out to get upto speed and get a bit of confidence.

The first couple of games I saw him I was responsibly impressed, I remember him up front against Aberdeen and thought he had really good movement.

I’ve no doubt he’ll go to a bottom 6 team where he’ll play most weeks and be a really consistent performer.

My thing with him as a winger is I never had any confidence that he’d beat a man and put in a good cross. He’s quite good when it’s quite tight though and he manipulates the ball/his body to create a yard of space.

Whatever happens I wish him well, a lot of what he has done hasn’t came off for him but I’ve no problems with him and it’s sad to see he lacked confidence to push on.

Some signings work out brilliant, some dont.
    Yup - you know he will go to another club and end up doing fine. Booth and Liam Craig examples…

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    From your list,
    Nisbet is contracted until 2024 so no immediate rush there.
    The other 6 on your list are out of contract in the summer or in McGregors case moving to backroom staff.
    The 3 not on your list that are out of contract are McGinn, Gullan and Gogic. McGinn might be next up for a new contract but Gogic is toast.
    So currently 9 players to go in the summer and 10 if Porteous doesn't sign an extention.
    I’m sure if you look at the history of Hibs and I think Hearts in recent times - 8-10 players usually change most off seasons. Winning cups and making Europe usually helps to keep players longer but it seems Hibs maybe want to build a stable team with these new contracts. The slight issue is as always players getting too comfortable but flip side is career stability.

We need new players in January - we already have Mueller coming in but we need another striker even with Doidge back and I’m certain come end of the season we will have a few changes. Reality is some players just haven’t contributed enough.

Tait and Mueller - 2 players already coming in hopefully make a difference in midfield.

Not a single poster has suggested he’s done well enough. People are just pushing back on the exaggerated criticism. And I don’t think he’s a poor player. He’s done OK in his recent couple of cameos. He’s just not done anywhere near enough to be a good signing for us.

Despite that, there are others who I’d say have contributed less…off the top of my head…

Eardley, James, Vela, stephen mcGinn, Nathan Wood, James Scott to name a few

It’s ridiculous to add in James Scott and Nathan Wood at this stage they haven’t even played half a dozen games, now that’s extreme.

You just slated a guy for having a view albeit an extreme one for judging a player for over a year at Hibs yet you’ve classed these players as worse after 1 game in woods case and a few in Scotts case. Isn’t that contradicting what your basically saying to AH about?
    Last edited by SMAXXA; 20-11-2021 at 07:55 AM.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    It’s ridiculous to add in James Scott and Nathan Wood at this stage they haven’t even played half a dozen games, now that’s extreme.

You just slated a guy for having a view albeit an extreme one for judging a player for over a year at Hibs yet you’ve classed these players as worse after 1 game in woods case and a few in Scotts case. Isn’t that contradicting what your basically saying to AH about?
    I think what is happening here, is players are either brilliant or sheite in some peoples eyes, nobody is just bad these days and nothing they do works.

They are all car crashes of a player, horrendous, the worst player ever or a wage thief. When in the real world, they have just not been good enough since we signed them.

And on the other hand, we have the likes of Doidge, he was the worst/sheite/horrendous/wagethief centre forward we'd ever signed, now he's the missing piece of the jigsaw, the player who will make things tick again and get the best out of his lazy/waste of space/huffy/ partner, Nisbet.

Iv'e been guilty of it myself, but the older i get i realise these guys are i the main all trying their best, but sometimes it's just not good enough, and no amount of abuse will actually help them.

@hibs.net private member

Winter 2021-22 transfer thread

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post

I said contributed less…didn’t say they were bad players ….and as you got, I was only challenging the extreme language ..

Drey Wright is a bog standard very average SPFL player and nowhere near the level we need at the club

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post

You are far too sensible for this forum. I do find it frustrating when I read posters describe professional footballers as "horrific" or "brutal".

That said, Drey Wrights performances in a Hibs shirt have been disappointing. He's not doing "okay", as some have suggested. IMO, he hides in games when he comes on. If I could see hard work and effort to show us that he is a good player, then I could warm to him more. But he doesn't. I do think he's shown glimpse of him being a good player, especially in the game against Celtic in the final league game of the season, when we rested the majority of the team. Then, he was better than okay, but such moments are not occurring often enough, for me.