hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One of the greats of the Scottish game but more importantly a great character.
    Really funny guy who would have a chat with you.
    RIP Bertie, one of life's good guys and a great footballer.
    Ditto, had the pleasure of having a chat with him.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Rest in peace Bertie.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    Ditto, had the pleasure of having a chat with him.
    I never got to chat with him, but I once managed to say well done after a win and got a huge smile and thanks in return

That summed up Bertie for me. A great guy.

RIP.

Met him once at Celtic Park hospitality, the reason I was there escapes me, must've been one of my Celtic supporting mates had a spare ticket. Lovely man and stopped for a blether with every single person in the room, RIP Bertie

Was down at Wembley 1979. I was in the ground for 1.00pm, me and a pal planning to enjoy watching the ground fill up.

By 1.10pm I had been chucked out by an over enthusiastic Bobby ( total injustice btw ) so spent the next couple of hours squeezing about the concourse and up and down Wembley Way trying to get another ticket. Every now and then you'd see a clutch of tickets being waved around or a circle of blokes forming but by the time you got through the crowd they'd be gone. I saw a big circle of guys so made my way there and standing in the middle was Bertie. Just standing, big hat on, immaculate, puffing away on his cigar. No body was saying anything to him, just standing there grinning at him smoking away on his corona, Bertie staring into the distance. Charisma.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough
    They don't make 'em like Bertie any more. RIP Bertie.

Quote Originally Posted by TObeachesHibby View Post
    They don't make 'em like Bertie any more. RIP Bertie.
    I recall a story, which I believe to be true, concerning a pre-season friendly v Middlesbrough at ER. Nobby Stiles was in their team that day. As usual he was kicking everything above the grass, and he landed a dull one on Bertie. Tom MacNiven ran on, looked at the injury, and told Bertie he had to come off.
    Bertie said “OK Tam, I’ll do that, but just give me a couple more minutes on the park.” Moments later, Bertie hobbled off, alongside the stretcher carrying Stiles. Hard man Nobby? Nah, that’s a hard man you’ve met today.
    Result was (I think) 2-2 and I was about 15, standing at the Dunbar end, so around 1970 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allyh1bs View Post
    I recall a story, which I believe to be true, concerning a pre-season friendly v Middlesbrough at ER. Nobby Stiles was in their team that day. As usual he was kicking everything above the grass, and he landed a dull one on Bertie. Tom MacNiven ran on, looked at the injury, and told Bertie he had to come off.
    Bertie said “OK Tam, I’ll do that, but just give me a couple more minutes on the park.” Moments later, Bertie hobbled off, alongside the stretcher carrying Stiles. Hard man Nobby? Nah, that’s a hard man you’ve met today.
    Result was (I think) 2-2 and I was about 15, standing at the Dunbar end, so around 1970 or so.

Match was 31st July 1971 one of ET’s first games in charge

Hibernian 0 v 2 Middlesbrough

A few days later 2nd August we played Shalke 04 (0-0) at Easter Road where the Famous Five were introduced to the fans before kickoff

@hibs.net private member
    Another of the Lions, and one of the charismatic characters of the Scottish game, gone.
    Sincere condolences to Bertie's family and friends.

RIP Bertie

Left by mutual consent!
    Legend.
    RIP big man

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Bertie had always been a fair to middling player. Jock Stein turned him into a great player. For a few years the best midfield player in Scotland- needless to say not recognised in international caps..A more than capable manager and a great character.Will be sadly missed.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Hibs Manager 1980-82, loved a joke and a cigar
    Promotion under his management

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Promotion under his management
    and mid table first year back up.

Won league cup medal with Birmingham and then went on to Fairs Cup final v Roma who had beaten Hibs in the semi.
    It has to be said the tournament was not as arduous as the equivalent nowadays!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by allyh1bs View Post

That pretty much sums it up. John Fairgrieve, a Jambo but an excellent journalist, devoted a whole chapter to the incident in one of his books.

Great player / too cautious as a boss though.

Lovely man

RIP Bertie

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    That pretty much sums it up. John Fairgrieve, a Jambo but an excellent journalist, devoted a whole chapter to the incident in one of his books.
    I see that match was actually on 31/07/1971.

He gave me a Hibs Bukta top (I think it was) when opening Thompson sports in Edinburgh many years ago.

I just finished A Bhoy Called Bertie - Auld's autobiog. It's a great read and contains some surprises.

He didn't always get on with Stein, who was contrary and devious on occasion, he thought Turnbull was a better coach than Big Jock and he was daggers drawn with Kenny Waugh when he took over from Tom Hart at ER. Like Stein, Auld was brought up a protestant.

Bertie was sent off in his debut for Scotland. He had run-ins with several characters. It's fair to say he could be an awkward customer to deal with on the field and as a manager. There's some good stuff about wheeling and dealing in the lower reaches of the old Scottish first division with Partick.

You never get the true picture in these books but Auld's is better than most. There are fine descriptions of his tough Maryhill youth, the nerve-jangling Old Firm encounters in the fifties and sixties in front of massive crowds and of course the road to Lisbon. There's a huge amount of humanity in it too.

Well worth a look!

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Heard that Bertie kept all his medals in his top drawer at Easter Road

If anyone had the temerity to doubt his football logic he would say you show me your medals and I’ll show you mine ? 😃