hibs.net Messageboard

Club Money Chasing Signing Policy

Surprisingly very few folk have mentioned this at the end of the summer window, when Mathie was punted or whenthe teams form died post Doidge and then Magennis.

The factor that I would say sees us in our current predicament is our current rigid signing policy.

Ron like every other foreign owner in Scotland from Vlad onwards sees our proximity to England and the big bucks there and thinks they can get a piece of the action by creating a shop window and stocking it with our own produced young players and signing young players of high potential, develop them and sell them on for a large profit, rince and repeat.
    The perfect storm of the pandemic shutdown and Ron having cash allowed us to railroad cash strapped smaller teams and bring in two such high quality young players, Nisbet and Magennis, with no other suitors in sight. Both fit the model plus we produce Doig ourselves. We have a small squad and avoid injuries to key players and finish 3rd.
    However, since then other teams have got back on track and we only managed to sign McKay, Doyle-Hayes and 2 Christmas presents in Mueller and the kid from Raith all of whom fit our signing model but are a step down from last seasons steals. Plus we bizarrely keep to the same signing model for our loan signings Wood and Scott!

The problem for Mathie was Ron had seen him identify and sign Nisbet and Magennis for buttons compared to their value and demands more of the same. This rigid signing policy means Mathie can't sign experienced players that are Hibs standard and is stuck trying to find young players of high potential who are ........and this is the kicker, .....cheap. Mathie is realistically stuck in an impossible position unless he can sell Doig but the player and his value has been hyped way beyond his ability and that falls flat.

As a result of the rigid signing policy we signed no experienced professionals and have no resilience which injuries to key players this season has cruely exposed.
    Next summer we must sign a couple of battle hardened 27 to 29 year old professionals to play alongside the kids.

Last edited by CMurdoch; 28-10-2021 at 11:23 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Surprisingly very few folk have mentioned this at the end of the summer window, when Mathie was punted or whenthe teams form died post Doidge and then Magennis.

The factor that I would say sees us in our current predicament is our current rigid signing policy.

Ron like every other foreign owner in Scotland from Vlad onwards sees our proximity to England and the big bucks there and thinks they can get a piece of the action by creating a shop window and stocking it with our own produced young players and signing young players of high potential, develop them and sell them on for a large profit, rince and repeat.
    The perfect storm of the pandemic shutdown and Ron having cash allowed us to railroad cash strapped smaller teams and bring in two such high quality young players, Nisbet and Magennis, with no other suitors in sight. Both fit the model plus we produce Doig ourselves. We have a small squad and avoid injuries to key players and finish 3rd.
    However, since then other teams have got back on track and we only managed to sign McKay, Doyle-Hayes and 2 Christmas presents in Mueller and the kid from Raith all of whom fit our signing model but are a step down from last seasons steals. Plus we bizarrely keep to the same signing model for our loan signings Wood and Scott!
    The problem for Mathie was Ron had seen him identify and sign Nisbet and Magennis for buttons compared to their value and demands more of the same. This rigid signing policy means Mathie can't sign experienced players that are Hibs standard and is stuck trying to find young players of high potential who are ........and this is the kicker, .....cheap. Mathie is realistically stuck in an impossible position unless he can sell Doig but the player and his value has been hyped way beyond his ability and that falls flat.
    As a result of the rigid signing policy we signed no experienced professionals and had no resilience which injuries to key players this season cruely exposes.
    Next summer we must sign a couple of battle hardened 27 to 29 year old professionals to play alongside the kids.

I disagree. We still are still looking to pay transfer fees for players, something a number of other clubs outwith the OF are not doing. The figure I heard we offered for McGrath was not insignificant, along with the two players on loan.

Ron like every other foreign owner in Scotland from Vlad onwards sees our proximity to England and the big bucks there and thinks they can get a piece of the action by creating a shop window and stocking with our own produced young players or by signing young players of high potential, develop them and sell them on for a large profit, rince and repeat.
    However, since then teams have got back on track and we only managed to sign McKay, Doyle-Hayes and 2 Christmas presents in Mueller and the kid from Raith all of whom fit our signing model but are a step down from last seasons steals. Plus we bizarrely keep to the same signing model for our loan signings Wood and Scott!
    As a result of the rigid signing policy we signed no experienced professionals and had no resilience which injuries to key players this season cruely exposes.

There is a fair bit of conjecture and extrapolation in here.

Two things:

How do you know Tait and Mueller will be a step down from Nisbet and Magennis, both are highly regarded as far as I can tell? They could both be brilliant signings and a level up for the team.

In regards to your last point, from the starting line up last night 7 of the players are 27 or over, 3 are between 22 and 24 and only Doig is in his teens. We have experience in the squad to blend in with the younger guys coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    I disagree. We still are still looking to pay transfer fees for players, something a number of other clubs outwith the OF are not doing. The figure I heard we offered for McGrath was not insignificant, along with the two players on loan.
    McGrath would have been a great signing and would have saved us the wages of Allan and Wright.
    However, a massively complicated deal to tie up in an hour after his move to Middlesbrough stalled.

I still think our signing policy looked at too small a field of players last summer.
    As I have said previously next summer will be massive for Hibs.
    It will either move us on a level or tie us to more average players for 2 or 3 seasons to come.
    Recruitment is the biggest part of the success equation.

McGrath would have been a great signing and would have saved us the wages of Allan and Wright.
    However, a massively complicated deal to tie up in an hour after his move to Middlesbrough stalled.

I still think our signing policy looked at too small a field of players last summer.
    As I have said previously next summer will be massive for Hibs.
    It will either move us on a level or tie us to more average players for 2 or 3 seasons to come.
    Recruitment is the biggest part of the success equation.
    I’ve not seen enough of McGrath to form an detailed opinion, if I’m honest I’m not sure who he replaces, as seems similar to Magennis. Though I could be way off on that one.

I genuinely don’t know what are field looked like, but we wanted a player from Norway and signed one from America. On the face of not too restrictive.

My main point is we are spending money, when a number of other teams are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    There is a fair bit of conjecture and extrapolation in here.

Two things:

How do you know Tait and Mueller will be a step down from Nisbet and Magennis, both are highly regarded as far as I can tell? They could both be brilliant signings and a level up for the team.

In regards to your last point, from the starting line up last night 7 of the players are 27 or over, 3 are between 22 and 24 and only Doig is in his teens. We have experience in the squad to blend in with the younger guys coming in.
    The policy appears to have been established for about 18 months now with Murphy the only over 24 player signed in that time with the exception of the inexperienced Macey.

Tait and Mueller are Christmas presents so were and are unable to help us meantime.
    Mueller will be an interesting signing and is the one folks hopes are stacked on.
    Tait should be ahead of McKay in his development but he will probably struggle to get starts this season.

Re the players from last night. Of the older player Macey and Gogic are inexperienced match players for their ages.
    Hanlon, Murphy, Boyle, McGinn and Newell were the only experienced ones.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 28-10-2021 at 12:16 PM.

We don't have a rigid signing policy

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    I’ve not seen enough of McGrath to form an detailed opinion, if I’m honest I’m not sure who he replaces, as seems similar to Magennis. Though I could be way off on that one.

I genuinely don’t know what are field looked like, but we wanted a player from Norway and signed one from America. On the face of not too restrictive.

My main point is we are spending money, when a number of other teams are not.
    I think Ross rates McGrath highly and was desperate to get him when the opportunity presented itself.
    He is a forward thinking midfielder and would have saved the midfield from it's present problems when Magennis became injured.

I thought the guy from Norway was going to be Doig's replacement. It all went quiet when Doig wasn't sold.

The restrictive part is solely buying players who are under 25, who cost less than £300k and who you think you can punt for a big profit further down the road.
    Unfortunately lots of other clubs are doing the same thing so post pandemic these players once again have lots of better healed alternative suitors hence we have no starting strikers or centre half resilience.

Feels like we are stuck on the starting grid until we can sell the 1st player for circa £2.5 million to allow us to compete for better players in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fezziwig View Post
    We don't have a rigid signing policy
    I would say we are only signing players under 25 with potential to be developed and sold on for big profit.
    Which players other than Macey and Murphy buck that policy in the last 15 months.

I think Ross rates McGrath highly and was desperate to get him when the opportunity presented itself.
    He is a forward thinking midfielder and would have saved the midfield from it's present problems when Magennis became injured.

I thought the guy from Norway was going to be Doig's replacement. It all went quiet when Doig wasn't sold.

The restrictive part is solely buying players who are under 25, who cost less than £300k and who you think you can punt for a big profit further down the road.
    Unfortunately lots of other clubs are doing the same thing so post pandemic these players once again have lots of better healed alternative suitors hence we have no starting strikers or centre half resilience.

Feels like we are stuck on the starting grid until we can sell the 1st player for circa £2.5 million to allow us to compete for better players in.
    Your thoughts on McGrath are similar to mine, appears to be a Magennis type. Good to have when the former is injured, not convinced I’d be shelling out big money though as I don’t see them playing together.

The Norwegian was seen as a Doig replacement but from what I know the intention was still to bring him in prior to ever selling Doig.

I’m not convinced we have a ceiling of £300k, certainly not what I heard.

I would say we are only signing players under 25 with potential to be developed and sold on for big profit.
    Which players other than Macey and Murphy buck that policy in the last 15 months.
    I don't think it's a money chasing signing policy.

I think it's a signings strategy that is self funding and will allow us to keep investing more money back into the squad if we are successful at it. Sell Doig for £2.5m say and reinvest, then sell Nisbet the next year and reinvest etc.. it's a way of getting better quality and to fund improvements in the team to sustain a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    I don't think it's a money chasing signing policy.

I think it's a signings strategy that is self funding and will allow us to keep investing more money back into the squad if we are successful at it. Sell Doig for £2.5m say and reinvest, then sell Nisbet the next year and reinvest etc.. it's a way of getting better quality and to fund improvements in the team to sustain a challenge.
    You describe the strategy better than I did in my title. I understand what they want to do but as you see on here most supporters are not patient.
    I believe we need to be open to signing players who will improve our team in the short term as well as players for development and sale. A signing of such a striker and centre half in the summer instead of the two loan players would have made a massive difference this season.
    As things stand the signing strategy sees us still on the launch pad looking for the 1st big sale and until that happens we are stuck in limbo.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 28-10-2021 at 06:07 PM.

Macey and Murphy sort of dispels your myth.

So many words, so little to say.

You describe the strategy better than I did in my title. I understand what they want to do but as you see on here most supporters are not patient.
    I believe we need to be open to signing players who will improve our team in the short term as well as players for development and sale. A signing of such a striker and centre half in the summer instead of the two loan players would have made a massive difference this season.
    As things stand the signing strategy sees us still on the launch pad looking for the 1st big sale and until that happens we are stuck in limbo.
    I don't think Hibs have ever said they wouldn't buy players who were older and could immediately come in and strengthen the team. The general theory though is to target young players with room to develop and give them the platform to grow and develop.

I’ve thought this after Ron said he wanted to reduce the age of the squad and have players with sell on value. Maybe one of the reasons why we didn’t go for mulgrew brown and Griffiths. A backbone of winners, experience and character.

Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    Macey and Murphy sort of dispels your myth.

So many words, so little to say.
    As mawkish as ever Christine.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zambernardi1875 View Post
    I’ve thought this after Ron said he wanted to reduce the age of the squad and have players with sell on value. Maybe one of the reasons why we didn’t go for mulgrew brown and Griffiths. A backbone of winners, experience and character.
    Where has winner Brown’s character been while his team have won only 1 of their 12 games or Griffiths who’s team got pumped 5-0 last night at home by Ross County?