hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Team V Celtic

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nisbet will leave if he gets an offer to go anywhere on better money. He couldn't give a monkeys what I or any other Hibs fan thinks.

Do you not think we've had players in the past who happen to perform better in some games than others, for various reasons?

I also hope Nisbet has a brilliant game and finds some sort of form again and I expect he'll be more interested than normal in turning up on Wednesday. I won't exactly be holding my breath that it kickstarts a run of form though, hence the reason I'd have him out the team sharpish - because currently he's operating at Rowan "one good game against us" Vine level and we can't carry that right now.
    No, I don't. I think its a lazy man down the pub pishy baseless argument.

Boyle as a striker on his own makes Nisbet look like Pele. Awful idea.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Why don't you show some fighting spirit? Celtic haven't won at easter road in the league since 2014. Van Dijk scored for them that day ffs. Lennon beat a much better Celtic team in the middle of an awful run a few years ago. We are not getting a humping.
    My days of fighting at the football are long gone and my hips are playing up.

I will be there supporting my team though.

No, I don't. I think its a lazy man down the pub pishy baseless argument.

Boyle as a striker on his own makes Nisbet look like Pele. Awful idea.
    I accept it’s not a great idea, but I don’t accept it’s significantly worse than something that hasn’t worked, doesn’t work and won’t work.

There’s a saying about keeping on doing the same thing and expecting different results.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    I accept it’s not a great idea, but I don’t accept it’s significantly worse than something that hasn’t worked, doesn’t work and won’t work.

There’s a saying about keeping on doing the same thing and expecting different results.
    It's not that bad an idea mate - MWHibbies has been perpetuating the myth that Boyle can't play as a striker for years, despite plenty of evidence to the contrary.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    It's not that bad an idea mate - MWHibbies has been perpetuating the myth that Boyle can't play as a striker for years, despite plenty of evidence to the contrary.
    Id go with boyle up top, decent balls over the top and he leaves most CHs for dead

Quote Originally Posted by Lovethehibs View Post
    Id go with boyle up top, decent balls over the top and he leaves most CHs for dead
    It's not for every occasion, but def an option.

Show me this evidence then.

The majority of his performances for Hibs as a striker have been poor. I will happily prove that. He is a very good right winger. He is not a striker, and certainly not a lone striker.
    Last edited by MWHIBBIES; 25-10-2021 at 06:48 PM.

The majority of his performances for Hibs as a striker have been poor. I will happily prove that.
    Did you not think he played quite well there around the time the January window shut? Porto and Nisbet were dropped after their transfer window antics, Cadden played on the right, McGregor came in at CH and Boyle played through the middle.

We had a few good games like that then iirc a poor one against Motherwell and that pair came back in.

Not sure he’s played there since.

Boyle has been pretty well handled by defences in his best position for a wee while now.

I do think we need to try something. That front 3 of Murphy, Nisbet and Boyle has been impotent for a while, forgetting for a minute what’s going on further back.

3-5-2 would be my formation

Macey

Mcginn
    Porto
    Hanlon

Boyle
    JDH
    Gogic
    Allan
    Lewis

Murphy
    Nisbet

The majority of his performances for Hibs as a striker have been poor. I will happily prove that. He is a very good right winger. He is not a striker, and certainly not a lone striker.

He has a very good goal scoring rate playing up front.

Provide us with evidence he has been poor there.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Did you not think he played quite well there around the time the January window shut? Porto and Nisbet were dropped after their transfer window antics, Cadden played on the right, McGregor came in at CH and Boyle played through the middle.

We had a few good games like that then iirc a poor one against Motherwell and that pair came back in.

Boyle has been pretty well handled by defences in his best position for a wee while now.

I do think we need to try something. That front 3 of Murphy, Nisbet and Boyle has been impotent for a while, forgetting for a minute what’s going on further back.
    The trouble with playing Boyle through the middle is someone has to be able to find him with a pass, in the main aimless punts are not going to work. The one guy in our squad able to pick that pass isn’t really in favour of the manager (or a lot of the fans for that matter.)

I do remember lennon putting him as a striker when he dropped Cummings and he scored a few but that was the championship and not sure if that was a loan striker.

He did actually yeah. Done well at Tanadice I think. Think United played a very high line that day. Not something we can rely on all teams doing against him. Celtic may do it wednesday, though. The problem is, we actually need to make 2/3 decent passes and break their lines, which we've been awful at doing recently.

He doesn't. Its better recently. But so many games he has just not even touched the ball playing up front. His best stuff has always been from the right.

He doesn't. Its better recently. But so many games he has just not even touched the ball playing up front. His best stuff has always been from the right.
    Yes he does - he has played about 20 games for Hibs up front and has at least 10 goals playing as a forward. That's a very good return.

One of his best ( if not his best) ever games for Hibs came as a striker at Tynecastle so again, not true what you say.

Your claims that he is a disaster up front, and is an awful idea, and that the majority of his games up there have poor are totally wrong. I'm not getting into a pointless argument with you though because you would argue with someone until the end of time, so I'll bow out there.

Yes he does - he has played about 20 games for Hibs up front and has at least 10 goals playing as a forward. That's a very good return.

One of his best ( if not his best) ever games for Hibs came as a striker at Tynecastle so again, not true what you say.

Your claims that he is a disaster up front, and is an awful idea, and that the majority of his games up there have poor are totally wrong. I'm not getting into a pointless argument with you though because you would argue with someone until the end of time, so I'll bow out there.
    ''I'll make my point, take a personal shot at you, then run away before you can say anything back''

Alright cool man. He played more than 30 games for Hibs as a forward under Lennon and Stubbs, never mind Hecky and Ross. Yeah, he had a great game away at Hearts. probably the worst Hibs have played in the last 10 years away at Kilmarnock in a 3-0 loss he played as a forward and it made me want to gouge my eyes.

Boyle is a great player, and one of my favourites. But he is, on average, pretty poor as a striker.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Drey Wright to step into the centre of midfield and run the show. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

United we stand here....

Why don't you show some fighting spirit? Celtic haven't won at easter road in the league since 2014. Van Dijk scored for them that day ffs. Lennon beat a much better Celtic team in the middle of an awful run a few years ago. We are not getting a humping.
    Never understand logic like this. What bearing would Lennon's result against Celtic a few years back or any games in 2015, 2016 etc have on a game being played half a decade later with entirely different squads and managers?
    Last edited by mcohibs; 25-10-2021 at 10:06 PM.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Macey

McGinn

Wood
    Porteous
    Hanlon

Doig

Allan
    Newall
    JDH

Boyle
    Nisbet
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    Macey

McGinn

Wood
    Porteous
    Hanlon

Doig

Allan
    Newall
    JDH

Boyle
    Nisbet
    The way you'd written that down I'd thought you'd suggested McGinn at sweeper, but then realised it was probably intended as a wingback.

I'd actually wondered about McGinn at sweeper as one way of making up for Porto being out. Quick, decent on the ball, reads the game well but maybe not quite dominant enough aerially for a centre half. We've always considered him to be a good RB and good on the right of a 3 but would never consider him as a classical RCB in a back 4.

If Cadden had made a more positive impact over the past 2 games I'd have maybe given it further consideration but I've not really been blown away by him and think we need to get back to having McGinn in that position and figure out what to do elsewhere.

How long is Hallberg out for

Quote Originally Posted by Cod Boy View Post
    How long is Hallberg out for
    Seems ages since we had an update on him saying back training but lost trAck again
    Was he not thought to be on his way out in last window before the injury

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Porteous being back will make a huge difference, his use of the ball has generally been top class this season. Newell and jdh have really missed his ability to miss them out.

I think there is merit in both 352 and 4231 but I would go for the latter as I think murphy brings more than cadden. Whoever plays ahead of newell and jdh needs to match the high energy performances we were getting from magennis earlier in the season, making sure they get up the park and into the box when we attack. Allan doesn't do that well imo. Campbell seemed to have a bit about him and looked like he could play that role in pre-season but seeing as he is not getting a sniff wright is probably the most suited.

I would drop nisbet if we had anyone else to play instead, hopefully he gets a goal and can find some form again.

Macey
    Mcginn Porto Hanlon Doig
    JDH Newell
    Boyle Wright Murphy
    Nisbet

Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
    3-5-2 would be my formation

Macey

Mcginn
    Porto
    Hanlon

Boyle
    JDH
    Gogic
    Allan
    Lewis

Murphy
    Nisbet
    That would be my team and I see us winning tonight

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Macey
    McGinn Wood Porteous Hanlon Doig
    Gogic Newall
    Allan
    Boyle Nisbet

5-3-2, Gogic sitting and Newall in a box-to-box role, Allan in behind with Nisbet and Boyle up front.

Yikes.

Experience tells us that sitting back against Celtc only ends one way.

I’m not sure I’m ready to see Wood in a Hibs shirt again. And Newell isn’t doing box-to-box these days, more shuffling around the centre circle.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Yikes.

Experience tells us that sitting back against Celtc only ends one way.

I’m not sure I’m ready to see Wood in a Hibs shirt again. And Newell isn’t doing box-to-box these days, more shuffling around the centre circle.
    Wood reminds me of that guy we got on loan from down south who had a disastrous debut against Celtic and was never seen again. Can't remember his name (shock).

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Wood reminds me of that guy we got on loan from down south who had a disastrous debut against Celtic and was never seen again. Can't remember his name (shock).
    Darnell Johnson?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by PH91 View Post
    Porteous being back will make a huge difference, his use of the ball has generally been top class this season. Newell and jdh have really missed his ability to miss them out.

I think there is merit in both 352 and 4231 but I would go for the latter as I think murphy brings more than cadden. Whoever plays ahead of newell and jdh needs to match the high energy performances we were getting from magennis earlier in the season, making sure they get up the park and into the box when we attack. Allan doesn't do that well imo. Campbell seemed to have a bit about him and looked like he could play that role in pre-season but seeing as he is not getting a sniff wright is probably the most suited.

I would drop nisbet if we had anyone else to play instead, hopefully he gets a goal and can find some form again.

Macey
    Mcginn Porto Hanlon Doig
    JDH Newell
    Boyle Wright Murphy
    Nisbet
    Campbell is a strange one indeed seems to have a bit of aggression in his play which few others have

Quote Originally Posted by expresso View Post
    Campbell is a strange one indeed seems to have a bit of aggression in his play which few others have
    I find it weird that he seems to play a big role every pre-season looking half decent before either going on loan or staying and getting absolutely nowhere near the first team (irrespective of how dire our need for midfielders might be) but is never released.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Daniel Boateng?