hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is our squad just not that good?

Now before anyone asks this isn’t a reaction from the last two games but something I’ve thought for quite a while despite our results and form.

When we’re playing well we’re good and win the majority of games, however they don’t apply to Celtic, Rangers and Hearts whilst we’ve improved our record against Aberdeen under Ross quite a bit.

Is it simply our squad is just at that level where they’ve got enough to consistently beat the bottom six but struggle against better opposition.

I’ve said it before, I think we’ve the 5th best squad, on paper, behind Rangers, Celtic, Hearts and Aberdeen.

We’re very reliant on Boyle being our only source of creativity and whilst we have other good players like Nisbet a good chunk of our play relies on Boyle producing the goods.

Nisbet, Porteous and Doig are others that have been linked with moves and will all get their day, however their consistency levels aren’t always there which is understandable. Doig is still at a very young age and hopefully can discover his form from last season again.

Out with those mentioned I can’t help but feel our squad is pretty average and in-line with the rest of the mid table teams. It’s there we need to improve.

Ross made a fair point in the summer that you need to strengthen when you’re strong and we maybe done that and no more.

We added bodies in the summer but only JDH is starting and contributing. Fwiw I think Mackay will prove to be a good signing but he’s injured, I also think Tait will be good.

But our depth, or lack of, is there for everyone to see. When I saw our starting line up yesterday I couldn’t help but feel that’s a mid table team and I actually give credit to Ross for being able to get us so high in the league for so long.

I think guys like JDH, who I’ve been impressed with, could improve more and he will with age, but we need guys keeping him on his toes.

Injuries have played a as Doidge, Magennis and Porteous are big players for us but we should have a bit more about us as a squad to cope better. The manner of our defeats the last 2 weeks have been shocking - especially when you consider the performance we put in against Rangers the week before.

I think as a club we need to go out and get quality in January, none of this back up options. We need to go and get players that have the wow factor.

2. Log in to remove the advert

It's just not that deep.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's just not that deep.

There are clear issues in certain positions at both ends of the park. A lot of fans were asking for a centre back and centre forward at the end of the window and they were right.

We got Nathan Wood and James Scott. Plenty on here are defending both players and that’s fine, but neither seems to be what we need right now.

Had we signed a defender and a striker who could contribute in these positions, we’d probably think the squad is in decent shape.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    It probably isn't the case but every team we play against seems to have something on the bench worth bringing on.

For some reason I think Jack Ross looks at the bench like the Strachan - Riordan Only An Excuse sketch. Obviously, unfortunately, without Riordan being there.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    There are clear issues in certain positions at both ends of the park. A lot of fans were asking for a centre back and centre forward at the end of the window and they were right.

We got Nathan Wood and James Scott. Plenty on here are defending both players and that’s fine, but neither seems to be what we need right now.

Had we signed a defender and a striker who could contribute in these positions, we’d probably think the squad is in decent shape.
    Mulgrew, brown and Griffiths were staring us right in the face yet signed none. I don’t know if it’s Ron Gordon influence wanting young players to sell on but mulgrew plays right across the back,brown brings on magennis and JDH and Griffiths great partner to either Nesbit and doidge. They also all have winners mentality and character which Ross mentioned we lacked after Saturday

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Zambernardi1875 View Post
    Mulgrew, brown and Griffiths were staring us right in the face yet signed none. I don’t know if it’s Ron Gordon influence wanting young players to sell on but mulgrew plays right across the back,brown brings on magennis and JDH and Griffiths great partner to either Nesbit and doidge. They also all have winners mentality and character which Ross mentioned we lacked after Saturday
    I bet if we signed any of them there would be outrage brown old and passed it (aberdeen only won against us recently) griffiths he’s had his troubles recently, and mulgrew tbf he’s been good so give him that

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk1875 View Post
    I bet if we signed any of them there would be outrage brown old and passed it (aberdeen only won against us recently) griffiths he’s had his troubles recently, and mulgrew tbf he’s been good so give him that
    For me you are right. I wouldn't have been happy with Brown or Griffiths.

The trouble is not that we didn't sign specific names it is that we signed nobody of note full stop.

We should be looking to improve the squad every window anyway and we'd have needed quality in again for any players we sold.

There might have been plenty of activity behind the scenes but not enough results. Not good enough for a team that was third and looking to stay there. Not for a team positioning itself to kick on in Europe.

A fully fit first eleven can compete. Injuries and lack of real quality in depth is why we're struggling now.

In answer to the OP, I would say we're alright, nothing special. We'll probably finish in the top 6. Half decent teams put a couple of players on Boyle, mark him out of the game or foul him consistently and then predictably we struggle. As I've said before, I like Boyle, always have, but he's still overrated by a lot of people on here and even though he's added one or two things to his game he's not nearly good/strong enough to carry this team. He's not a Griffiths, for example, because Griffiths did exactly that. We are alright, but to make us better we need to sign quite a few more good/decent players that take away the reliance on one good player. Just my opinion.

They've gone stale, no competition for places, poor tactics, we need fresh ideas and a whole load of fresh faces. Are the players playing for or even listening to the manager now, has he got enough about him to get more out of them? It does feel like he's run his course and fresh ideas are needed.

Could be better but whoever plays it’s same system that’s what costs us in games when it matters

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Our squad is too light, if we had everyone fit we would have good options over the team, it just so happens that we've had the spine of the team out for the last 3 games.

Porteous is such a big miss, his coming back in will really help us to appreciate just how big a part he plays.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    We've a squad full of average, SPfL standard players.

No-one really stands out and there's not a single player I'd be gutted to see leave.

I know the pressure is mounting on JR, but for me it's more down to the players. They shouldn't need motivated to be up for the start of any game yet we come out at walking pace and rarely step up a gear these days.

Look at the difference at Hearts between this season and last. They added a few quality players and are now flying. We should have been doing the same but screwed up the window.

We're all looking to the return of key players to make a difference, I doubt it will. January will see another couple of loans come in and we'll bump along to the end of the season where we will then hope for a rebuild.

We'll prob start next season with Hanlon, McGregor and Stevenson in defence!!

@hibs.net private member
    We needed key cover in the centre back and centre forward positions, it was evident to all on here that if we lost one of Porteous/Hanlon or Doidge/Nisbet we’d struggle and so it’s come no surprise that’s been the case. Relying on an unproven youngster and 36 year old defender was a criminal mistake in the window and I’m not really sure what position James Scott actually plays, he’s 6ft 2 so I assumed he was the back up target man but obviously not. Whilst doidge is out we need to find a system that doesn’t involve long punts up the park to Nisbet and that’s clearly not his game.

I think if you remove the emotion from proceedings most people would accept any team is going to struggle with 3 or 4 key players missing. Doidge, Porteous and Magennis are all big players for us and none have been available. That's a fairly solid spine removed.

It arguably doesn't address the lack of strength in depth though. Jamie Gullan was pulled from nowhere to start on Saturday, 3 of our back 4 played as a defensive unit that we have been saying needs refreshed for about 3 seasons now and we can't drop an out of form striker who doesn't suit the system we are playing because we don't have another realistic option. I think deep down most people knew we had a bad transfer window, even if the defended it at the time. It's just this is the 1st time it has really been laid bare how bad a window it was. Another fit striker and an experienced CB are a must for January along with an upgrade on Gogic to play the spoiler role when required. Get that in and I think we look a whole lot better.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

First Team Breakthrough
    Squad needs a leader a c, h and a proven goal scorer but what the squad needs right now is a foot up their *****

Quote Originally Posted by eastmainsmsh View Post
    Could be better but whoever plays it’s same system that’s what costs us in games when it matters
    Against Dundee Utd we started with a 4-2-3-1. At the weekend we started with a 3-4-3. Then changed to a 4-4-2 at half time.

We don't play the same system every week.

First 11 is good. When everyone is fit it's the best in the league outwith old firm.

Squad depth is horrendous.

First Team Breakthrough
    We are currently running with a squad of about 16 'starters' and have 2 of them on long-term injury. The oft quoted 'need a back-up for every position' isn't even a thought for Hibs. Whether this is a financial decision or a lack of ambition in the transfer market - it has left us wanting when we have injuries or lack of form.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    First 11 is good. When everyone is fit it's the best in the league outwith old firm.

Squad depth is horrendous.
    That's it exactly. With a full squad we are right up there but as has been seen, a couple of key players out and we are struggling.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    We don't have enough players. We don't have enough good players. We don't have enough options to cover all positions. We don't have enough pace. We don't have enough goal threat. We don't have enough alternatives on the bench. We don't have enough steel. We don't have enough alternative styles of play.

We have a really good first eleven when fully fit.

At the moment I really feel for the new guy arriving from the US in January I think it is? There will be massive expectations about him but we are still clearly a good two or three more signings away from having a properly balanced squad - and that's assuming that those two or three come with decent pace because at the moment we are massively short of that.

We're paying the price big time for f....g up the last transfer window. Our first eleven is good but when injuries and suspensions take hold we are struggling because we have few decent replacements to come in. How much we can rectify this in the January window I'm not sure.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Murphy and Allan are good options off the bench, are they not?

Obviously we need an extra striker, a situation worsened currently by Doidge being out.
    Mon the Hibs.

The manager asked for a centre half and a striker in the summer and he got neither. That is what has caused us such problems recently.

Any team outwith the OF would suffer without Porteous, Magennis and Doidge. Plus we're missing the pace off the bench that Mackay could have provided.

It's funny how when Hearts have an injury crisis, it's all we hear about in the media. When it's Hibs, there is barely a peep and our own supporters go on about our squad being rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Murphy and Allan are good options off the bench, are they not?

Obviously we need an extra striker, a situation worsened currently by Doidge being out.
    Murphy is rarely fit and Allan hasn't had his troubles to seek either. Whether we can depend on them for the rigours of a full campaign is the question.

Our options from the bench have been exposed as lacking lately and not just in terms of striking options. We look weak all over.

For a good number of years there has been far too much of an over reliance on Boyle, when he doesn’t play well, is out, or marked out the game Hibs generally struggle.

The squad is too light. Any significant amount of injuries was going to hurt us. There is not enough depth. Thats the problem.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk1875 View Post

Brown has looked off the pace, except against us.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Brown has looked off the pace, except against us.
    Apart from setting up the goal(yes the main part i agree) i thought brown looked off it, some of his touches or passes were poor

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    The squad is too light. Any significant amount of injuries was going to hurt us. There is not enough depth. Thats the problem.
    You're right. But all challengers have the same problem apart from the OF. Hearts are better covered than most, unfortunately.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    It used to be the case that a player could force his way into the team with a few good sub appearances. At the moment our bench is full of last resort players. When they do get a chance, Gullan for example, more often than not they are hooked at half time.