hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Crystal Palace Fans Banner

"Police are carrying out inquiries into a banner unveiled by Crystal Palace fans before Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Newcastle.

The banner, depicting an image of the club’s new Saudi Arabian owners, PIF, about to behead a magpie as faceless fans in the background sang: “We’ve got our club back,” was unfurled by Palace supporters before the 1-1 draw at Selhurst Park."

ARTICLE

palace_fans.jpg

2. Log in to remove the advert

I’m not sure why the Met are saying ‘Any allegations of racist abuse will be taken very seriously.”

The Met are notorious for not taking racism seriously. And there is nothing racist in this funny and accurate banner anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m not sure why the Met are saying ‘Any allegations of racist abuse will be taken very seriously.”

The Met are notorious for not taking racism seriously. And there is nothing racist in this funny and accurate banner anyway.

To discuss racist abuse in this context is the most amazing attempt to distract from the real issue I've ever seen.

Yeah, those poor oppressed Saudi Royals.... diddums!

Anyway, my message to those Palace fans...

I think this banner is spot on and I also believe that attempting to describe it as racist is really poor and simply detracts attention away from incidents which are genuinely racist.

If someone (probably a Newcastle fan) has complained then the police have to investigate, particularly given their "relaxed" attitude in the past to geniune racism

It should be a very short investigation, as the only illegal thing on that banner is the acts of the Saudi government.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Left by mutual consent!
    Love it.

I would say that the spot light should not just be on Newcastle and their owners.
    If there’s a discussion to be had, let’s talk about your Chelsea’s and your Manchester City’s!
    Pretty sure there’s shady goings with quite a few other clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    If someone (probably a Newcastle fan) has complained then the police have to investigate, particularly given their "relaxed" attitude in the past to geniune racism

It should be a very short investigation, as the only illegal thing on that banner is the acts of the Saudi government.

If there actually has been a complaint, then it's only a diversionary tactic.

Using a character in traditional Arabic dress, wielding a sword, to illustrate a certain group of people that wear traditionally Arabic dress and cut people's heads off is hardly a disgusting racial stereotype.

Unless anybody really is stupid enough to believe that this is a disgraceful attempt to portray all Arabs as bad people.... which it quite clearly isn't.

Here's a really good article on the Premier League's 'Owners and Directors Test'*, specifying what it actually is and, more importantly, what it isn't

https://www.90min.com/posts/6598196-...ake-to-fail-it

* This is what was formerly called "The Fit and Proper Person Test", rebranded in 2016

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post

It’s because a caricature of a sheik is obviously much worse than murdering people and chopping them to pieces.

It's a well designed banner that makes it's point.

I don't blame Newcastle fans. They are just happy Ashley is gone. They aren't the 1st fans to turn a blind eye to questionable behaviour by their owners.

The takeover makes a complete mockery of the EPLs rules around ownership though. They would be as well just scrapping the fit and proper tests moving forward, they will welcome money from anyone.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I think this banner is spot on and I also believe that attempting to describe it as racist is really poor and simply detracts attention away from incidents which are genuinely racist.
    I have always found the Geordie's a good laugh but I noticed they were being called racist for wearing tea towels on their heads, seems like anything can be called racist these days, anyway I'll give the Palace fan's

Left by mutual consent!
    Well done Palace lads

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 147lothian View Post
    I have always found the Geordie's a good laugh but I noticed they were being called racist for wearing tea towels on their heads, seems like anything can be called racist these days, anyway I'll give the Palace fan's
    I'm not sure of the coverage elsewhere regarding the headwear but the official release from Newcastle as a club made no mention of racism. It was advised that it could be seen as 'culturally insensitive' which seems fair enough to me.

There was a similar issue years ago when Saudi Arabia qualified for the World Cup. Their flag was emblazoned on a bottle of beer (it may have been Budweiser but it's really irrelevant). They asked if it could be removed as it contains sacred text and Islam forbids the consumption of alcohol.

I'm anything but a lover of the Saudi regime but neither of the above requests seems particularly unreasonable.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 147lothian View Post
    Was the same accusation made towards Dundee United fans when they dressed as Arabs?
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Always liked Palace, the club fans and ground, used to go there occasionally when based in Bromley.

Like them more now.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Here's a really good article on the Premier League's 'Owners and Directors Test'*, specifying what it actually is and, more importantly, what it isn't

https://www.90min.com/posts/6598196-...ake-to-fail-it

* This is what was formerly called "The Fit and Proper Person Test", rebranded in 2016
    Reading that makes me not want to watch another football game ever, particularly where it talks about FIFA. The police looking into that banner just strikes me as mad....is it meant to scare people off from talking about human rights? Scare fans off from not wanting the game they love to support these atrocities? Well if that was the plan, well done, it has its own thread on this site and probably every other fans site in the country.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    It's a well designed banner that makes it's point.

I don't blame Newcastle fans. They are just happy Ashley is gone. They aren't the 1st fans to turn a blind eye to questionable behaviour by their owners.

The takeover makes a complete mockery of the EPLs rules around ownership though. They would be as well just scrapping the fit and proper tests moving forward, they will welcome money from anyone.
    Of course. That's how the UK operates as a whole turn a blind eye. All that shady money that goes through the city employing all those accountants etc. The government needs money in the country with the mess of Brexit and are more than happy to have the Saudis in the Prem League and spending money in the North East. There will be even more beefed up arms deals after this as well I'd presume. Scotland's no different albeit at a lower scale. Plenty of our clubs have been washing money for years for Drug dealers allegedly. Look how close boxing is to the Kinahans. They have substantial business dealings in Scotland with some seriously dodgy individuals. The whole countries corrupt and always has been.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr What If? View Post
    Reading that makes me not want to watch another football game ever, particularly where it talks about FIFA. The police looking into that banner just strikes me as mad....is it meant to scare people off from talking about human rights? Scare fans off from not wanting the game they love to support these atrocities? Well if that was the plan, well done, it has its own thread on this site and probably every other fans site in the country.
    That's exactly what its designed to do. Remember these are the same people that will talk about show racism the red card and BLM whilst kissing the ass of regimes that treat black African migrants as slaves. They're all chancers and bluffers. Their only moral compass is more.

@hibs.net private member
    We’ll done Palace fans! Unfortunately the racism card gets played when there is no other defence these days. Would I want our club financed by Saudi money? I’d honestly rather see us struggling in the lowland league.

Palace fans👍👍👍

The need for more money to keep it all going will always be placed above who the money belongs to or where they got it.

The only objection the Palace fans have is that it's Newcastle and not them.

Newcastle would be miffed at the human rights issue if it was someone else.

Hypocrisy is strong in football.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Football politics and religion mixing, whatever next!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MixerAlizz
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    "Police are carrying out inquiries into a banner unveiled by Crystal Palace fans before Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Newcastle.

The banner, depicting an image of the club’s new Saudi Arabian owners, PIF, about to behead a magpie as faceless fans in the background sang: “We’ve got our club back,” was unfurled by Palace supporters before the 1-1 draw at Selhurst Park."

ARTICLE

palace_fans.jpg
    Everything is considered racist these days.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedish hibee View Post
    Palace fans👍👍👍

Aw shucks!

Did Shearer have anything to say about it on MOTD?

First Team Breakthrough Tommy75's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto7 View Post
    Of course. That's how the UK operates as a whole turn a blind eye. All that shady money that goes through the city employing all those accountants etc. The government needs money in the country with the mess of Brexit and are more than happy to have the Saudis in the Prem League and spending money in the North East. There will be even more beefed up arms deals after this as well I'd presume. Scotland's no different albeit at a lower scale. Plenty of our clubs have been washing money for years for Drug dealers allegedly. Look how close boxing is to the Kinahans. They have substantial business dealings in Scotland with some seriously dodgy individuals. The whole countries corrupt and always has been.
    What has Brexit got to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy75 View Post
    What has Brexit got to do with it?
    Some people reckon one of the reasons for Brexit was to make sure the new EU money laundering laws don't apply in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by AliboyFC View Post
    Everything is considered racist these days.
    Care to elaborate?

Unsurprisingly, the police have confirmed that they will not be taking any action because no offence was committed.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.