hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newell and JDH

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When McGinn left Hibs the arse fell out the midfield.
    It was relatively poor until Magennis this season.
    Once Magennis is back the midfield will be fine again.

Nisbet,Doidge and Boyle were a good striking team
    We lost Doidge and the arse fell out of the attack.
    He will return in a month and it will be sorted.

Porteous and Hanlon were a good centre half partnership.
    We lost Porteous for two games and have struggled with a new partnership.
    When he returns on Wednesday it will improve again.

Unlike Man City we can't just get another top player out the cupboard when we lose one.
    Hopefully our resilience will start to improve with the Doidge & Magennis return in a month followed a month later by Muellers arrival.
    The guy from Raith Rovers might be okay and Hallberg and Mackie might even return from injury by Christmas.

great post.

Personally I’m just frustrated we haven’t progressed from last season. But last season the players you mention were ever present. On the face of it last year we were super lucky with injuries. This year not so. And to state the obvious that’s why Mathie was booted.

the club know what needs done and are trying to do it. Patience is the order of the day but that feels incredibly frustrating when we should be adding to last years success.
    Last edited by Not In The Know; 23-10-2021 at 09:52 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I actually thought JDH was our best player ( not meaning much today ok ) today . Newell is a talented player but I can`t see us being successful ( top 3 , cup finals , atrractive football like 2018 ) with him in team unless we sign some real quality which is unlikely . While talking of midfield , is there any news of Halberg ? I know a lot of folk here don`t rate him but I think we`re missing him and he`d certainly have been a good option today .

Newell has been annoyingly lazy this last few games. He's touched the ball about 5 times in the last 2 games. Needs dropped.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Newell has been annoyingly lazy this last few games. He's touched the ball about 5 times in the last 2 games. Needs dropped.
    Are you mistaking him for Nisbet? 🤔

@hibs.net private member
    He gets enough of the ball it’s just he passes it onto someone behind him so quickly you don’t notice he’s had it

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    Are you mistaking him for Nisbet? 🤔
    The same could be said about Nisbet right enough but the OP was talking about Newell and JDH who could also be doing more.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    I actually thought JDH was our best player ( not meaning much today ok ) today . Newell is a talented player but I can`t see us being successful ( top 3 , cup finals , atrractive football like 2018 ) with him in team unless we sign some real quality which is unlikely . While talking of midfield , is there any news of Halberg ? I know a lot of folk here don`t rate him but I think we`re missing him and he`d certainly have been a good option today .
    So we finished in the top 3 and cup final with newell in the team so sort of blows your theory out the water

Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    He gets enough of the ball it’s just he passes it onto someone behind him so quickly you don’t notice he’s had it
    Or it gets passed quickly to free up space as a player is usually right next to him, so in theory someone should be on the move looking for it in the space created

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    Are you mistaking him for Nisbet?
    As well as ...i would say ..
    Its like the team are bored thats what im seeing. Are players being played in there best positions and positions they like to play.
    Cadden for instance is forcing Boyle into the middle . The right side is overloaded in my opinion.
    There is very little bite in the team mcgregor is excluded from that comment . He screams everything you want his frustration with all around him was plain to see.
    So who fixes it, the players need to recognise the need to give more .
    MIDFIELD remains our problem it was never fixed .
    Jack Ross is getting the benifit of the doubt from me as he asked for but never got any of the players he needed. Mathie paid the penalty .So its work harder get to xmas and see what we can do.
    2 new players arrive then we have young forwards banging goals in do they get a chance?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

The same could be said about Nisbet right enough but the OP was talking about Newell and JDH who could also be doing more.
    I was watching on a stream yesterday so it's harder to tell ut I thought Newell ran about a bit more in the 2nd half yesterday. I thought he put in a bit effort.

Not enough to do it here and there though.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Should have been subbed last week and incredibly appeared to be even worse this week. So lacking in any physicality of aggression at all. Jdh poor also.

Newall has always been crap IMO and I don’t see that changing. He’s never a centre mid. If Ross persists with him in there it will eventually cost him his job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Newall has always been crap IMO and I don’t see that changing. He’s never a centre mid. If Ross persists with him in there it will eventually cost him his job.

Newell is certainly not crap

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post

That is a wild opinion , in my view. he is one of our better players . Against Rangers he was our best by some way. Not saying he doesn’t have off days, but that view doesn’t stack up….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the problem in midfield is that we have two tidy players in Newell and Doyle-Hayes who are happy to keep the ball moving, but aren't good at playing a telling forward pass, getting forward themselves to support the attack and who don't press the opposition possession.

The blend isn't right. We need Allan in there for creativity and Magennis for energy, both of whom are good at supporting our forwards. And in Magennis' absence, one of Newell and Doyle-Hayes has to be instructed to play further forward.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    He's this teams Ross Chisholm, utter crap and gives us nothing but slow football and backward passes.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    He's this teams Ross Chisholm, utter crap and gives us nothing but slow football and backward passes.
    Yet more nonsense

JDH and Newell were very successful in those roles at the start of the season. The concern is why it’s not been working as well recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    JDH and Newell were very successful in those roles at the start of the season. The concern is why it’s not been working as well recently.
    Have you not read, its because they are clearly both crap and shouldnt be playing

Quote Originally Posted by Lovethehibs View Post
    Have you not read, its because they are clearly both crap and shouldnt be playing
    Yeh which most of us no know is daft. JDH has been our best signing this season imo. What we have is a team missing 3 starters and a current 11 struggling with self belief and form.

Newell sometimes is the best player on the park, maybe 10%, the rest of the time he's a show pony who does the square root of zilch, a waste of a jersey.

Newell sometimes is the best player on the park, maybe 10%, the rest of the time he's a show pony who does the square root of zilch, a waste of a jersey.
    So is he sometimes the best player or 10% of the time the best player, again nonsense of a post

So is he sometimes the best player or 10% of the time the best player, again nonsense of a post
    10% is some of the time, he's a waste of a jersey most of the time, maybe 90% of the time.

10% is some of the time, he's a waste of a jersey most of the time, maybe 90% of the time.
    Not sure what was funny, your idiotic post or the actual way it was written.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Not sure what was funny, your idiotic post or the actual way it was written.

It made sense to me.

We’ve seen match winning performances from Joe, but the last one feels like a long time ago.

Jack Ross is clearly intent on playing Newall and JDH at the bottom of the midfield to split and take passes from the defenders and build the play from there, BUT they are both too slow allowing the opposiion plenty time to retreat and get behind the ball in their own half. By the time that happens the space in the forward areas is limited and there is not so much room for the forwards to move into. The tactics and players deployed to carry them out are not a match. Neither Newall or JDH are inclined to carry the ball or god forbid try to burst forward. Jack Ross is the reason Hibs are playing crap. Its his tactics and his team selection.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    It made sense to me.

We’ve seen match winning performances from Joe, but the last one feels like a long time ago.
    Still does not mean he is crap, useless, show pony, whatever other rubbish has been written. He along with others are out of form

Quote Originally Posted by EVENTUALLY View Post
    Jack Ross is clearly intent on playing Newall and JDH at the bottom of the midfield to split and take passes from the defenders and build the play from there, BUT they are both too slow allowing the opposiion plenty time to retreat and get behind the ball in their own half. By the time that happens the space in the forward areas is limited and there is not so much room for the forwards to move into. The tactics and players deployed to carry them out are not a match. Neither Newall or JDH are inclined to carry the ball or god forbid try to burst forward. Jack Ross is the reason Hibs are playing crap. Its his tactics and his team selection.
    Yip, we let every team regroup and get back into shape, we are as slow and ponderous as ever. We are missing some key players, and this is a big reason why we are not doing so well as earlier in the season.

Newall with the ball can be decent. Newall when not in possession is a waste of space. Most people judge players by what they do on the ball which is why some think he’s good.

Still does not mean he is crap, useless, show pony, whatever other rubbish has been written. He along with others are out of form
    Most of the time Newell is crap, he's the main reason we slow the bloody game down as much and let the opposition get back into shape and organised.