hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newell and JDH

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Most of the time Newell is crap, he's the main reason we slow the bloody game down as much and let the opposition get back into shape and organised.
    Well we will agree to disagree👍 and also apologies for sounding like a twat

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovethehibs View Post
    Well we will agree to disagree👍 and also apologies for sounding like a twat

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    JDH and Newell were very successful in those roles at the start of the season. The concern is why it’s not been working as well recently.
    Its kind of obvious why its not working.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Its kind of obvious why its not working.
    Kyle won’t be back for a while. We need another answer.

Stick gogic in front of the CHs and let Newell go further forward

@hibs.net private member
    How long is he out for and what’s the issue this time?

@hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Newall with the ball can be decent. Newall when not in possession is a waste of space. Most people judge players by what they do on the ball which is why some think he’s good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last season Newall was one of the best in our team for tackles won (2nd highest behind Paul McGinn) and interceptions (5th overall, 2nd midfielder behind Gogic). In terms of tackles won he was up there as one of the best midfielders in the league. So I don’t think that adds up to a waste of space out of possession.

I agree he can often be ponderous with the ball, between him and JDH yesterday I was tearing my hair out at how often they turned back on themselves. Both need to better at driving the team forward and certainly Newall needs to add more goals to his game. But overall I think he is a pretty decent player, we just need a better blend in midfield which Magennis provided to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    Ankle injury. Not expected back to after the next international break. So end of Nov / Dec.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey_1875 View Post
    Last season Newall was one of the best in our team for tackles won (2nd highest behind Paul McGinn) and interceptions (5th overall, 2nd midfielder behind Gogic). In terms of tackles won he was up there as one of the best midfielders in the league. So I don’t think that adds up to a waste of space out of possession.

I agree he can often be ponderous with the ball, between him and JDH yesterday I was tearing my hair out at how often they turned back on themselves. Both need to better at driving the team forward and certainly Newall needs to add more goals to his game. But overall I think he is a pretty decent player, we just need a better blend in midfield which Magennis provided to some extent.
    He plays centre mid? He should be top of tackles won and interceptions made given the minutes he played. It’s the area of the pitch where that kind of work needs to be done. The fact he’s 5th on interceptions playing centre mid isn’t as much a positive as you seem to think.

@hibs.net private member
    Most of the time Newell is crap, he's the main reason we slow the bloody game down as much and let the opposition get back into shape and organised.
    Totally agree. Never been the same player since he signed his new contract.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Had a fine game against the hun. He’s not a bad player.

He plays centre mid? He should be top of tackles won and interceptions made given the minutes he played. It’s the area of the pitch where that kind of work needs to be done. The fact he’s 5th on interceptions playing centre mid isn’t as much a positive as you seem to think.

Looking at a couple of other clubs it seems like there is a mix of defenders and midfielders at the top of these factors.

I’m not referencing these stats to claim that this is a major victory for Newell. It’s to argue against the point that he is a “waste of space” out of possession. Which he clearly isn’t. There is a large middle ground in between.

Newall with the ball can be decent. Newall when not in possession is a waste of space. Most people judge players by what they do on the ball which is why some think he’s good.

There’ll be stats that show he has a good game yesterday. We’re not meant to let our eyes deceive us

Newell was just Newell yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    There’ll be stats that show he has a good game yesterday. We’re not meant to let our eyes deceive us

Newell was just Newell yesterday.
    If you can’t use stats to assist an argument then we are certainly moving the goalposts quite a bit. My eyes tell me he isn’t a waste of space out of possession. The stats help confirm that.

Of course he was rubbish yesterday and the week before. From what i’ve seen over the games he has played for hibs that isn’t a reflection of his overall contribution. There have been a lot of games over the past couple of years the midfield have played well and he has been a part of that.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Despite being told by different posters a few times on here how good his stats are I form an opinion on players by watching them and while blackpoolhibs’ comments about Newell may be harsh I pretty much agree with him. As I’ve said previously he frustrates me ‘cos he does have ability (I thought he was excellent against the Huns) but too often for me he performs as he did yesterday and strolls about the park like he’s having a kickabout with his mates.

I’m sure we could do with Kyle Magennis in the team performing as he started the season, but his absence doesn’t excuse Newell or JDH’s poor games. Magennis playing may well improve the side, but neither Newell or JDH should require him to be there for them to perform.

@hibs.net private member

@hibs.net private member
    I’d like to see Newell deployed further up the park, he’s clearly got the technical ability to turn and beat a man but I think he’s just scared to drive forward from such a deep position. He only seems prepared to do that against lesser opposition or when we’re coasting a game, which has been rare this season! Whilst Kyle is injured I’d like to see Gogic sitting with JDH with Newell finding space between opposition defence/midfield. He came to us as a left sided attacking midfielder, Jack Ross seems determined to turn him into a Scott Brown sitting midfielder type and he just isn’t that at all🤷🏼

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    And when McGinn wasn’t available last week the haters were made to eat their words. Newell is a very decent player with good feet and can pick a pass. Bloody hate when he turns, slows play and passes backwards though.
    Every team has one it seems. For Scotland it’s passback McGregor. Fir us it’s Newell
    Totally get that but McGinn allows a hell of a lot of crosses to get down his side.

@hibs.net private member
    Or it gets passed quickly to free up space as a player is usually right next to him, so in theory someone should be on the move looking for it in the space created
    Nothing Joe does is done quickly, one of the main reasons we’re so slow in possession, offers very little when we don’t have the ball as well.
    other than he’s the managers favourite I can’t understand how he continues to start for us

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    I’d like to see Newell deployed further up the park, he’s clearly got the technical ability to turn and beat a man but I think he’s just scared to drive forward from such a deep position. He only seems prepared to do that against lesser opposition or when we’re coasting a game, which has been rare this season! Whilst Kyle is injured I’d like to see Gogic sitting with JDH with Newell finding space between opposition defence/midfield. He came to us as a left sided attacking midfielder, Jack Ross seems determined to turn him into a Scott Brown sitting midfielder type and he just isn’t that at all🤷🏼
    He came in as a wide player, the Heck told us all he was very good in 1v1 situations and he was nearly chased out the club and the same rate of naughts as the guy we got from Bolton in centre mid he was hopeless out there.

He’s been much better since moving central don’t think the manager can carrr any heat for moving him there it’s why he continues picking him that’s the problem he’s been off the boil to put it politely since he came back from injury last season and I think at that time there was a debate on weather his return actually made us worse and weather he should actually have got back in the side as quick as he did

Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    Nothing Joe does is done quickly, one of the main reasons we’re so slow in possession, offers very little when we don’t have the ball as well.
    other than he’s the managers favourite I can’t understand how he continues to start for us

do you honestly think the manager is picking players just because he is their favourite, this board is mental at the moment

do you honestly think the manager is picking players just because he is their favourite, this board is mental at the moment
    No. But he is clearly picking players that don't deserve to be playing as we have nobody else.

Be better wi cotton eyed Joe Bring back Dylan

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Bryce View Post
    No. But he is clearly picking players that don't deserve to be playing as we have nobody else.
    I’m sure he thinks the same

@hibs.net private member

I believe Joe Newall deserves to be dropped and he hasn't, I'm aware the squad depth is poor but we can play with one less holding midfield player and play with gullan up front in a 2 or gogic could play along side JDH instead if the JR wants to keep this shape.

as I said in previous post newall came back from injury last season and got straight in the team when we where playing well with him out, the form fell off almost immediately he's obviously a name the manager has down early in the team line ups

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Bryce View Post
    Thats completely different though, im sure if we had a bigger squad some players may not be getting game time but as the saying goes, he can only pee with the man part he has

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    Think more of a groin stomach muscle injury. Huge miss.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Had a fine game against the hun. He’s not a bad player.
    He's an incredibly frustrating player.

Excellent on his day, great when things are going your way, a man short when the chips are down.

Controversial one, but as much as I like him when he's on song I don't think we'll ever kick on as a team whilst he's in it as there are just too many occasions where he doesn't fancy it.

Same goes for Nisbet FWIW and they were our poorest 2 players yesterday by some distance imo.

What the best teams have over us is consistency and an ability to grind out end product even when they're not at their best. We'll never reach that level as long as we indulge too many players like that pair.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post

For me he’s just not taking enough responsibility at the moment.

I think there might be an issue when Murphy plays ahead of him, as they both like to drive into that inside left position. Therefore, there are times when one or other has to find space elsewhere.