hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newell and JDH

Newell and JDH

Absolutely hopeless.

Would love to know what these two bring? Half the time the centre halves have the ball they two are running away rather than showing for it.

Cowardly performance and unfortunately not the first time.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Said the same in relation to Newell in another thread, and JDH has been as poor since his return to the side.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Contrary what others said last week, they hold each others hands and stand in front of the defence. There was a moment in the 2nd half that showed it perfectly, they bumped into each other while being 5 yards in front of Hanlon.

Safe. Jack Ross type players. Pass it square. Or back.

Should only ever be one or the other in the same team, what has happened to Gogic

This is often the key to a team's fortunes - getting the ball from defence into midfield and building from there.

I remember Liam Miller and Kevin McBride has a great little spell and then for some reason it seemed to fall apart for them.

Very often we put our weakest performances in when it breaks down in this key area.

I didn't think JDH was all that bad today, he was taking a bit of responsibility in the first half when everyone around him was going into their shells. Newell though was abysmal today, possibly his worst performance for the club. Such a frustrating player and capable of great moments when you're on top. He's just so hot and cold though, and has a habit of going missing when we're putting in our worst performances.

The balance of the midfield looked much improved with Magennis making his mark earlier this season. It's gone to pot again since he got injured.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDoidge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Absolutely hopeless.

Would love to know what these two bring? Half the time the centre halves have the ball they two are running away rather than showing for it.

Cowardly performance and unfortunately not the first time.
    They’re far from hopeless. They were excellent earlier in the season in a three with Magennis. Magennis being out injured has hurt our midfield badly.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This is often the key to a team's fortunes - getting the ball from defence into midfield and building from there.

I remember Liam Miller and Kevin McBride has a great little spell and then for some reason it seemed to fall apart for them.

Very often we put our weakest performances in when it breaks down in this key area.

I didn't think JDH was all that bad today, he was taking a bit of responsibility in the first half when everyone around him was going into their shells. Newell though was abysmal today, possibly his worst performance for the club. Such a frustrating player and capable of great moments when you're on top. He's just so hot and cold though, and has a habit of going missing when we're putting in our worst performances.

The balance of the midfield looked much improved with Magennis making his mark earlier this season. It's gone to pot again since he got injured.
    I thought Newell was honking last week too, but he’s a Ross favourite, appears undroppable. I agree with your summary of him, find him very frustrating as on his game he’s absolutely got ability.

When I first saw JDH I thought we had found the missing piece in midfield. He’d pick the ball up, immediately turn and pass the ball forward.

Now he picks it up and does the same as the rest of the midfield, turns like a aircraft carrier and passes it back to the defence.

Has it been coached out of him?

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    When I first saw JDH I thought we had found the missing piece in midfield. He’d pick the ball up, immediately turn and pass the ball forward.

Now he picks it up and does the same as the rest of the midfield, turns like a aircraft carrier and passes it back to the defence.

Now I was wondering this earlier. It's an astonishing drop in form to be honest, I actually thought we had found the answer to most of our problems but he is fast becoming a big problem.

Newell is Newell. Infuriating.

@hibs.net private member

Newell and JDH

Sent this in a group chat earlier, that’s our 2 central midfielders at 1-0 down with about 20-25 mins to go. There was absolutely zero drive about them today to take the ball and move us 15/20 yards up the park. JDH looked brilliant when the season started & since his bout of illness has looked a million miles away from the player he was. I don’t even want to start on how poor Newell was today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    I thought Newell was honking last week too, but he’s a Ross favourite, appears undroppable. I agree with your summary of him, find him very frustrating as on his game he’s absolutely got ability.
    Newell is a nice footballer. Unfortunately that’s it. No aggression, no pace , no goal threat , just nice.

When McGinn left Hibs the arse fell out the midfield.
    It was relatively poor until Magennis this season.
    Once Magennis is back the midfield will be fine again.

Nisbet,Doidge and Boyle were a good striking team
    We lost Doidge and the arse fell out of the attack.
    He will return in a month and it will be sorted.

Porteous and Hanlon were a good centre half partnership.
    We lost Porteous for two games and have struggled with a new partnership.
    When he returns on Wednesday it will improve again.

Unlike Man City we can't just get another top player out the cupboard when we lose one.
    Hopefully our resilience will start to improve with the Doidge & Magennis return in a month followed a month later by Muellers arrival.
    The guy from Raith Rovers might be okay and Hallberg and Mackie might even return from injury by Christmas.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 23-10-2021 at 07:09 PM.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    The both of them together are too passive. We really need someone to drive on with the ball at thier feet, and make runs beyond. Newell has looked so slow. Our forwards got no service, and I thought taking off Gullan instead of them was a mistake when Allan would have helped feed him and Nisbet

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post

Unlike Man City we can't just get another top player out the cupboard when we lose one.
    👍🏻👍🏻
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by CL0762 View Post
    Sent this in a group chat earlier, that’s our 2 central midfielders at 1-0 down with about 20-25 mins to go. There was absolutely zero drive about them today to take the ball and move us 15/20 yards up the park. JDH looked brilliant when the season started & since his bout of illness has looked a million miles away from the player he was. I don’t even want to start on how poor Newell was today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looks about where 2 centre midfielders should be be to be honest. Newell has dropped deep which means the Aberdeen forward has dropped in to pick him up leaving space for Darren to progress into the space into an attacking position. JDH is about 10-15 yards further forward than his centre midfield partner so they are both not square on.

If Newell isn't where he is standing then the Aberdeen forward is covering Darren which means he doesn't have the space to move forward into and likely plays a pass either sideways or more likely backwards to the deeper center half.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 23-10-2021 at 06:31 PM.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!

You think Doidge will be back to his best in a month...is he even running yet? We needed a couple fortunate penalties in games Magennis played in to get results so the midfield being "fine" is far from the truth.

Porteous and Hanlon are an ok partnership but hardly robust. Porteous does stupid things and Hanlon struggled against Clarke last weak and he isn't a particularly physical striker.

Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post

The majority of the players first thought is who can I pass it backwards to. It usually then ends up in a long punt from Hanlon to no one. The tactics are slow and hopeless once teams have sussed us. We create very little and when we do we have no one to convert them. It’s frustrating to watch and I can’t see the current players turning it around unless we get Doidge, Mcgennis,and Porteous back and Nisbet finds his mojo again.

Hopefully our resilience will start to improve with the Doidge & Magennis return in a month followed a month later by Muellers arrival.
    The guy from Raith Rovers might be okay and Hallbaerg and Mackie might even return from injury by Christmas.
    These are all very good points.

Although - sometimes you have to find a way to get it done without your best players. Aberdeen managed to find a way today that involved Ojo at RB and Brown at CH.

And there's also a danger imo that the players heads might go down before the mentioned players return.

We've seen players in the past start well, get found out a bit and later struggle. We better hope that thus doesn't affect any of our current supporting cast.

Testimonial Due The Captain....'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    They’re far from hopeless. They were excellent earlier in the season in a three with Magennis. Magennis being out injured has hurt our midfield badly.
    Good point, that and JDH had covid as well. Looks, understandably so, that it's taken him a while to get back to his early season levels.

I get more frustrated by Newell he clearly has ability but doesn't impose himself on games often enough.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Although - sometimes you have to find a way to get it done without your best players. Aberdeen managed to find a way today that involved Ojo at RB and Brown at CH.

And there's also a danger imo that the players heads might go down before the mentioned players return.

We've seen players in the past start well, get found out a bit and later struggle. We better hope that thus doesn't affect any of our current supporting cast.
    It's the first game Aberdeen have won in about 10 matches. Not sure I'd be using them as an example of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    It's the first game Aberdeen have won in about 10 matches. Not sure I'd be using them as an example of anything.
    Right now I think we do need to be learning from pish sides who manage to scrape wins in adversity as that's an improvement on where we currently are.

Newell like McGinn has became mr undroppable it seems.

Right now I think we do need to be learning from pish sides who manage to scrape wins in adversity as that's an improvement on where we currently are.
    Not really if the side you use as an example are on a worse run of form than ourselves. Unless you are using 1 game as the run of form.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post
    Said the same in relation to Newell in another thread, and JDH has been as poor since his return to the side.
    Thought JDH was the answer to all our midfield problems?

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Can’t play them in a two. We are massively missing Magennis.

Imagine us having to win a game without players or player playing out of position! No danger.

We don’t react to adversity. We’re still trying to get over the red card at ibrox.

I think we have been struggling since the minute we lost Doidge and the loss of Magennis and Porteous have been the final straws that have broken the camels back.
    There is simply insufficient resilience in the squad.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    Newell like McGinn has became mr undroppable it seems.
    And when McGinn wasn’t available last week the haters were made to eat their words. Newell is a very decent player with good feet and can pick a pass. Bloody hate when he turns, slows play and passes backwards though.
    Every team has one it seems. For Scotland it’s passback McGregor. Fir us it’s Newell
    Last edited by CentreLine; 23-10-2021 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    great point. Together they don’t work well but with magennis they were great.