hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jason Cummings

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To me it was the first sign of panic from JR.

Scores a hat trick through the week in a bounce game and throws him in.

A roll of the dice looking for a six and got a one.

Over the years I've noticed Hibs managers when they start to struggle seem to pick random teams which only get worse.

First sign.
    See, I didn’t think it was that bad a move albeit it didn’t work (!!)

Gullan had arguably earned an opportunity with his goals for the B team.

It left Jack Ross with something to bring off the bench to turn a game in our favour for a change and Murphy caused a few problems when he went on.

We’ve also got another couple of big games this week and it’s doubtful that Murphy could start them all and play 90 minutes without breaking down at some point. Same might go for Doig, same might even be the case with Wood. They might now be able to contribute on Wednesday and at the weekend.

I have a bit of sympathy for Ross, to a point. He’s limited in what he can do and who he can use.

My bugbear is still how dreadful Nisbet has been and how much we struggle to get service and support to him. I simply don’t have much of an alternative to offer, other than a 352 with Nisbet and Boyle up front and Murphy left out for a bit.
    Last edited by Smartie; 24-10-2021 at 04:52 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    See, I didn’t think it was that bad a move albeit it didn’t work (!!)

Gullan had arguably earned an opportunity with his goals for the B team.

It left Jack Ross with something to bring off the bench to turn a game in our favour for a change and Murphy caused a few problems when he went on.

We’ve also got another couple of big games this week and it’s doubtful that Murphy could start them all and play 90 minutes without breaking down at some point. Same might go for Doig, same might even be the case with Wood. They might now be able to contribute on Wednesday and at the weekend.

I have a bit of sympathy for Ross, to a point. He’s limited in what he can do and who he can use.

My bugbear is still how dreadful Nisbet has been and how much we struggle to get service and support to him. I simply don’t have much of an alternative to offer, other than a 352 with Nisbet and Boyle up front and Murphy left out for a bit.
    I’m with scoopyboy on this. Ross sees Gullan in training every day and hasn’t seen fit to bring him on in previous games, but he scores goals for the B team and all of a sudden he’s deemed worthy of a start. Definitely feels like panic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    I’m with scoopyboy on this. Ross sees Gullan in training every day and hasn’t seen fit to bring him on in previous games, but he scores goals for the B team and all of a sudden he’s deemed worthy of a start. Definitely feels like panic to me.
    Yep. Panic. The fans shouting for it and he’s fallen for it. Same with Daz.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    I wonder if it's less panic than demonstrating to the board how thin the squad is. Play Gullan and Daz as that's all we have.....

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    He’s the manager though. He shouldn’t be picking a team based on what the fans are shouting for. Worrying if that’s what’s happened.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    He’s the manager though. He shouldn’t be picking a team based on what the fans are shouting for. Worrying if that’s what’s happened.
    Correct. Maybe we should all stop listening to the folk that were desperate for these changes.

@hibs.net private member

Jason Cummings

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    I wonder if it's less panic than demonstrating to the board how thin the squad is. Play Gullan and Daz as that's all we have.....
    Agreed ….Not a chance Ross did it because of fans opinion ..he is not reading social media. He did it because he has had a disturbingly poor performance last week and wanted to change it up . Gullan was one of the few options he had. And had reminded him during the week . We lost, so people now view it as panic. He simply wanted to freshen things up .

Were many fans shouting for Gullan to start ? I know I wasn’t. Nothing against him but he’s never struck me as worthy of a start, though has done OK at times coming on as a sub. Daz was the right call imo based on Woods previous appearance, but it can’t be easy at his age to play rarely and be expected to be match sharp.

But if he is listening to fans please play Scott Allan in his proper position. Thanks Jack.

@hibs.net private member

But if he is listening to fans please play Scott Allan in his proper position. Thanks Jack.
    He done that last week and had to hook him at HT.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    He done that last week and had to hook him at HT.
    I disagree, but he’s an easy target for Ross. Newell and JDH were just as poor. Allan was dropped for the following game both of those start. When he does finally bring him on it’s initially in a too far advanced position.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Picking Daz yesterday was the right decision, not a panic decision.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    Agreed. Just shows how bad our recruitment was when we're having to put a 36 year old in ahead of a loan player who isn't good enough at this level. I actually feel sorry for Ross. He's been badly let down.

@hibs.net private member
    I disagree, but he’s an easy target for Ross. Newell and JDH were just as poor. Allan was dropped for the following game both of those start. When he does finally bring him on it’s initially in a too far advanced position.
    What’s his best position?

@hibs.net private member
    Bench

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Was playing Gullan a sign of "panic", or was it just a case of trying something different with the players at his disposal, especially given Nisbet's current form? Damned if he did, damned if he didn't it would seem.

It clearly wasn’t the right decision. Woods made a couple of errors. Daz made a few in the first 20 mins.

Middle of the park, facing the goals, not just behind the striker with his back to goals. And not on the left of midfield.

It clearly wasn’t the right decision. Woods made a couple of errors. Daz made a few in the first 20 mins.
    Daz played a nervy passback but was otherwise solid. There is no way he could have played Wood after last week. I'd be amazed if we see Wood picked again unless there is an emergency.

@hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar
    Daz played a nervy passback but was otherwise solid. There is no way he could have played Wood after last week. I'd be amazed if we see Wood picked again unless there is an emergency.
    I felt for McGregor yesterday and i’m sorry to say it as he has been a great servant but both our back up centre halves don’t look good enough at the moment. If Ross thought Wood was worth another chance he would have played I think. We are paying the price for putting all our eggs in the McCart basket and then not finding a credible replacement when that fell through.

Daz will be hurting today but like you say for Wood that might also be the last time we see Daz play for us. He lost the rag yesterday and was in flare ups before the sending off and then after with the Aberdeen supporters. He wasn’t solely responsible for costing us the game by any stretch but coupled with the Rijeka red he is showing himself as unreliable this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey_1875 View Post
    I felt for McGregor yesterday and i’m sorry to say it as he has been a great servant but both our back up centre halves don’t look good enough at the moment. If Ross thought Wood was worth another chance he would have played I think. We are paying the price for putting all our eggs in the McCart basket and then not finding a credible replacement when that fell through.

Daz will be hurting today but like you say for Wood that might also be the last time we see Daz play for us. He lost the rag yesterday and was in flare ups before the sending off and then after with the Aberdeen supporters. He wasn’t solely responsible for costing us the game by any stretch but coupled with the Rijeka red he is showing himself as unreliable this season.
    We never got anything out of the game yesterday because we created absolutely nothing. Darren being sent off in the 97th minute had no impact on the result, he done about as well as you could reasonably ask a 36 year old center half who's hardly played would do.

@hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    We never got anything out of the game yesterday because we created absolutely nothing. Darren being sent off in the 97th minute had no impact on the result, he done about as well as you could reasonably ask a 36 year old center half who's hardly played would do.
    I’m not saying the sending off did impact the result but it still wasn’t great to see in someone who is normally very cool. Im not doubting his commitment either and that very well may be the best he has to offer.

Unfortunately I don’t think it’s good enough and to me there has been a noticeable drop off in his abilities when called upon even compared to last season. We should have had a proper replacement in and unless we really have to I’m not sure he will play again. Which is a sad thing to say.

McGregor was quite low down the list of people I felt let down by yesterday.

If we score a couple at the other end he's got a couple of shaky moments out his system before going on to have a decent game then been a bit unlucky to fall foul of the ref at the death following a tangle.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Daz done remarkably well when he was brought in for a few games last season given that he hadn't had any matches. However it's to be expected that, as he gets older, it's going to become more difficult to just slot in like he's never been away - match fitness & match sharpness are hugely important.

He's obviously not what we need as a regular CH, but I wouldn't write him off as back up quite yet.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 24-10-2021 at 07:10 PM.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Cummings has scored 6 goals this season. Ross’ comment about ‘role models’ was a red flag for me. We’ve already got McGregor and Hanlon for two who are great examples on and off the field. It’s the ‘characters’ like Boyle who get the fans on their feet and create chances and score goals. We should have signed Cummings rather than nobody in the summer window.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

First Team Breakthrough
    Daz has been a legend and I’ll be honest didn’t see second half of game, but our problem yesterday was in attacking sense it needs sorted

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    We should have signed Cummings rather than nobody in the summer window.
    Yes we should have.

Gullan just isn’t good enough, he’s 23 now, of course he scores against 17 year olds. He’s contributed nothing in the first team for the last 2 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by HibsGW View Post
    Gullan just isn’t good enough, he’s 23 now, of course he scores against 17 year olds. He’s contributed nothing in the first team for the last 2 seasons.
    That's why he was at Kilmarnock on deadline day ready to sign a permanent deal with them. Scarf above the head photos done but deal fell through because Hibs missed out on targets and pulled the deal at last minute.

He knows hes not wanted here, the manager does not have him in his plans, and he could have substantially increased his wage going to Killie - not great for anyone really that we messed up deadline day so badly.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    That's why he was at Kilmarnock on deadline day ready to sign a permanent deal with them. Scarf above the head photos done but deal fell through because Hibs missed out on targets and pulled the deal at last minute.

He knows hes not wanted here, the manager does not have him in his plans, and he could have substantially increased his wage going to Killie - not great for anyone really that we messed up deadline day so badly.

The manager put him in the starting line up at the weekend. We do seem to be a bit all over the place right now.

You have to feel for him after the deadline day shambles.