hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’ve no interest in any religion at all but can’t see much changing while we continue to separate school children based on what fictional story their parents believe in.
    Correct. If Scotland wants to be a grown up nation again we need to sort out our sectarian problem, notably in the west. Separating kids early on in life does nothing to help that process.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I think that's a valid discussion to have but I do worry that it distracts from the main issue, that of a group of people determined to hate and abuse people based based purely on their religion (or even their perceived religion).
    ‘Perceived’ religion is the key word here. It should be described as anti Irish racism. Rangers fans singing about the potato famine arent targeting French or Spanish Catholics, are they?

Quote Originally Posted by hibee View Post
    I’ve no interest in any religion at all but can’t see much changing while we continue to separate school children based on what fictional story their parents believe in.
    Correct.

Children should be educated about all religions in school, but not taught or encouraged to participate in any one particular religious belief system. If parents want their kids to follow a faith then they can do that in their own time, just as they do with political views. And there would be an outcry if anyone proposed having schools which featured a particular political philosophy at the core of their curriculum.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member

Ryan Porteous speaks out against sectarianism

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Correct. If Scotland wants to be a grown up nation again we need to sort out our sectarian problem, notably in the west. Separating kids early on in life does nothing to help that process.
    That view is largely from people who didn’t go to these schools. I can say that I’ve never met a person who went to a catholic school that has derogatory views of non catholics. That narrative of sectarianism doesn’t come from that community.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bigwheel; 24-10-2021 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Correct.

Children should be educated about all religions in school, but not taught or encouraged to participate in any one particular religious belief system. If parents want their kids to follow a faith then they can do that in their own time, just as they do with political views. And there would be an outcry if anyone proposed having schools which featured a particular political philosophy at the core of their curriculum.
    This is a totally separate discussion to what is happening with RP.

He wasn't receiving sectarian and homophobic abuse because Catholic schools exist.

The forms of abuse which exists in Scottish football is handed down in homes, on buses going to away games and engrained in the culture of particular areas of Scotland.

The existence of faith schools is up for discussion but the context is different to what is going down here.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Correct.

You’ve obviously got no idea what goes on in a catholic school to post such tripe. My daughter is taught about all religions and they mark significant days in certain religions throughout the year. She attends a catholic school. There’s a hell of a lot of people making comments based on very little knowledge on this thread.

United we stand here....

Did the build up to the match in Paisley mention Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    Did the build up to the match in Paisley mention Ryan.
    Doubt it. There's a big lump under Scottish football's carpet where all these statements get swept. I say lump when I mean mountain.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Nonsense. There’s a very good argument for banning religion from all schools. In fact, several good arguments.

You don’t have to agree, but to label someone who does as a bigot is pathetic.
    Where did I label him a bigot?I pointed out he was repeating the same tired trope trotted out everytime there is someone challenging anti Irish racism.
    I have no religion,my kids have been raised as Catholics and attend RC schools and are taught about all faiths and taught to respect differences.
    The problem is parents teaching their kids to hate!
    Nothing else.
    Do they have the same issues with RC schools in England and Wales?
    Blaming separate schooling is victim shaming.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    You’ve obviously got no idea what goes on in a catholic school to post such tripe. My daughter is taught about all religions and they mark significant days in certain religions throughout the year. She attends a catholic school. There’s a hell of a lot of people making comments based on very little knowledge on this thread.
    My daughter is at a nursery connected to a Catholic school and will go to the school as of next year.

At Easter they discussed the meaning of it and the report we got back was the 'all the children decided it doesn' t matter what you believe as long as you are nice to other people'.

My abiding memory of Catholic schooling was that RE was for about 40 minutes a week and we learned about all the other major religions more than Catholicism. In Primary school a Priest would come and say Mass at the end of term and Christmas, those who wanted to be excused could be. In secondary school I hardly remember seeing a Priest (in contrast to the local non dom school that had a CoS Minister at their weekly assemblies).

Of course there was a religious element when it came time to prepare for the sacraments that you go through at primary school age. Again though the Muslims, Sikhs and other Christians that made up our class simply went away and done something else for half an hour. It wasn't overreaching, we weren't taught we were right and everyone else was wrong and we certainly weren't taught to hate Protestants.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    My daughter is at a nursery connected to a Catholic school and will go to the school as of next year.

At Easter they discussed the meaning of it and the report we got back was the 'all the children decided it doesn' t matter what you believe as long as you are nice to other people'.

My abiding memory of Catholic schooling was that RE was for about 40 minutes a week and we learned about all the other major religions more than Catholicism. In Primary school a Priest would come and say Mass at the end of term and Christmas, those who wanted to be excused could be. In secondary school I hardly remember seeing a Priest (in contrast to the local non dom school that had a CoS Minister at their weekly assemblies).

Of course there was a religious element when it came time to prepare for the sacraments that you go through at primary school age. Again though the Muslims, Sikhs and other Christians that made up our class simply went away and done something else for half an hour. It wasn't overreaching, we weren't taught we were right and everyone else was wrong and we certainly weren't taught to hate Protestants.
    That’s been my experience as well. People suggesting that catholic schools are the reason for the problems we have in Scotland are just wrong.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green leaves View Post
    Where did I label him a bigot?I pointed out he was repeating the same tired trope trotted out everytime there is someone challenging anti Irish racism.
    I have no religion,my kids have been raised as Catholics and attend RC schools and are taught about all faiths and taught to respect differences.
    The problem is parents teaching their kids to hate!
    Nothing else.
    Do they have the same issues with RC schools in England and Wales?
    Blaming separate schooling is victim shaming.

Here’s what you said again:

Then you're on the same page as all the anti Irish/cath9 bigots.

If you feel comfortable arguing that this is not labelling someone a bigot, then bash on. It’s provocative and unhelpful though.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Ryan is undoubtedly are biggest asset

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    I find it hilarious that so many Scot support their team, use their vote, chose their friends and generally live their life based on a fairytale yet probably never set foot in a church bar the odd wedding or funeral.
    Totally agree one of the least religious countries in the world seem to have a very strange obsession with it.

I blame Nicola Sturgeon!

Sorry, what were we discussing again?

I have worked with people who are racist and worked with people who are bigots. They have admitted this. These people are well educated. It's seems to be ingrained in Scottish society. Education is one way to try and resolve it but it could take generations to eradicate.