hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Favourite Memories V Aberdeen at Pittodrie

What are your favourite memories of us up at Pittodrie v Aberdeen ? Not been that happy a hunting ground …a bit better in more recent times.

A niche one that springs to my mind would be a midweek match up there in 87-88 season…it was a time when Aberdeen were a top team . November 87 we played up there. It was a place we regularly got beat by 3-4 goals without reply in those days . Hibs fans in the old beach end . Kano scored our only goal in a 1-1 draw. Freezing cold night , but a decent drive home after an unexpected point …

Think we actually beat them up there later the same season too with Kano and Tortolano scoring …

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Think we had a good record up there in the Tony Mowbray and John Collins days?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 90274 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Think we had a good record up there in the Tony Mowbray and John Collins days?
    Not bad. 50/50…the thread though is really about favourite memories ..what’s yours??

Aberdeen 2 Hibs 3 Autumn 1974

Hibs were 2-1 down and down to ten men after using their substitutes. Fog was descending on Pittodrie. Some Hibs fans were leaving early.

Alex Cropley broke through on goal and was cynically chopped down. Joe Harper smashed in the free kick.

In the dying seconds, Harper turned Willie Young on the edge of the box and crossed for Crops who stabbed the ball over the line.

Yes, a post with a positive memory of Harper!

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Think we actually beat them up there later the same season too with Kano and Tortolano scoring …
    I was at that game. Was when they had black goal nets iirc?

Also been at way too many 2+ goals beatings but Laurencekirk stops usually took the edge of them.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Beating them on pens in the Scottish cup. Leighton in goals. Willie Young ordering a retake during pens.

October 15, 1977. A raging 30 yarder from Ally McLeod for a 2-1 win.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Been twice. A 4-2 annihilation in Calderwood's first game (they were 4-0 up before we scored two late consolations), and the 0-0 a few years ago when Maclaren missed the penalty. All-in-all, not great.

Pre match pints in the saltoun arms it came on the tv hearts have sacked George burley. Hibs then beat Aberdeen 1-0 Riordan scored. Good day that

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Beating them on pens in the Scottish cup. Leighton in goals. Willie Young ordering a retake during pens.
    Kenny Clark iirc

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Winning 1-0 with a Riordan goal, under Mowbray I presume. Randomly during the game the Makalamby song came over the tannoy. Hibs fans kept singing it throughout the game after that.

Myself and a friend had gone up on the the Edinburgh Aberdeen supporters bus as another friend used to run it. Was an enjoyably smug trip home. Especially when we asked everyone to be quiet as they were doing the cup draw on the radio. Hibs were still in the cup and Aberdeen weren’t anymore. They also did a weekly MOTM vote and let us do it. We both thought Ricky Foster had a good game. Apparently that was the only two votes he got all season, from a couple of Hibees.

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    March 1968 at Pittodrie we got thumped 5-0. Two of us, 15 & 16 year olds missed our original train and had to get a later one. Turns out it was the same train for the Hibs team coming back to Edinburgh.

We were on the train waiting to leave when the team started boarding, they were going to their reserved seats further down the coach. As they passed us I said to Thompson Allan “Well played Thompson”, he stared at me for a second, said thanks and moved on. About 20 minutes after the train started moving some of the players, led by Thompson Allan came to our seats and placed crisps, sandwiches, chocolate biscuits and wee cartons of juice, (presumably from their food supply?) on our little table thing. We were stunned when one of them who we think was Alan McGraw said “Thanks for coming”.

We always wondered if they ever thought of us at anytime or even remembered the two wee wringing-wet boys with no jackets who giggled as they wolfed down the goodies they gave us.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Winning 1-0 with a Riordan goal, under Mowbray I presume. Randomly during the game the Makalamby song came over the tannoy. Hibs fans kept singing it throughout the game after that.

Myself and a friend had gone up on the the Edinburgh Aberdeen supporters bus as another friend used to run it. Was an enjoyably smug trip home. Especially when we asked everyone to be quiet as they were doing the cup draw on the radio. Hibs were still in the cup and Aberdeen weren’t anymore. They also did a weekly MOTM vote and let us do it. We both thought Ricky Foster had a good game. Apparently that was the only two votes he got all season, from a couple of Hibees.
    Probably my earliest memory of a game v Aberdeen this, or similarly the game with the Steven Glass winner at ER.

What are your favourite memories of us up at Pittodrie v Aberdeen ? Not been that happy a hunting ground …a bit better in more recent times.

A niche one that springs to my mind would be a midweek match up there in 87-88 season…it was a time when Aberdeen were a top team . November 87 we played up there. It was a place we regularly got beat by 3-4 goals without reply in those days . Hibs fans in the old beach end . Kano scored our only goal in a 1-1 draw. Freezing cold night , but a decent drive home after an unexpected point …

We were en route to that game. Bus stopped off at Glencarse for refreshments and wouldn’t start again. Some dafties decided to taxi it to the game but most of us waited for the replacement bus. Too late for the game but a merry evening was had by all 😀

First Team Breakthrough
    Matty Jack scoring a late equaliser up there for a 2-2 draw. 1999/2000 season i think. we had the luminous away strip with black pattern on it at the time

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zambernardi1875 View Post
    Pre match pints in the saltoun arms it came on the tv hearts have sacked George burley. Hibs then beat Aberdeen 1-0 Riordan scored. Good day that
    A bit against the run of play iirc…great goal from
    Riordan Good day ….

I’d just walked in to the Saltoun when the news came in. It was a very good day.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Been twice. 1980 while at Uni for a 1-1 Draw. Girdon Rae for us, Andy Watson scored their equaliser. George Best was booked going off at half time. Dons went on to their first league win under Fergus and we dropped down a division. Next was a LC game versus Livvy, who went through after et and won the competition.. In Inverurie for two nights so it was something to do.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Cup tie mid 90s.

Penalty shoot out. Jim Leighton saved one and Kevin Harper banged the winning penalty in off the post.

Also a game under Mowbray when Riordan scored an absolute peach in a 1-0 win. Stephen Dobbie missed a sitter to kill it late on. We were in all white and looked a million dollars in more ways than one. It was the day I think people realised we were a very good team.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I went up so many times in the late 80’s and early 90’s and can’t remember many good results. Midweek in August 86 we were hammered again 3-0 in a game which I remember for the ASC kill Hibs message which was cressoted onto the grass at the top of the hill on the way to the ground. Always a friendly welcome at Pittodrie combined with lovely weather!

@hibs.net private member Auckland Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Same for me - great night.

Lots of defeats from memory, made all the better with the stop offs in Laurencekirk before and after the games on the IEC bus.

Last game of the season one year, think we lost 2-0 and everyone was in fancy dress.

That's my only win there, felt like we were going somewhere and that Hearts downfall was imminent. Ho hum. Can't remember a thing about the game itself apart from it being a Zander Diamond howler.

@hibs.net private member
    Can't remember his name auld age I suppose but a kiwi striker we had scored a cracker in a win and I'm sure als got a bad injury that more or less ended his hibs career he went on to sign for celtis.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by zitelli62 View Post
    Can't remember his name auld age I suppose but a kiwi striker we had scored a cracker in a win and I'm sure als got a bad injury that more or less ended his hibs career he went on to sign for celtis.
    Chris Killen

3-2 win around 95. Midweek game with Steven Tweed scoring the winner.

Also honorable mention for 2-0 in 96 with the one and only Thorsten Schmugges sole Hibee appearance 😁

@hibs.net private member
    Chris Killen
    Correct it was doing my head in.

https://youtu.be/FXRk6jNsSlA

Aberdeen 1 Hibs 2, November 1995

I thought the winner came very late but maybe not watching that video

Remember being sat next to the fence and a furious middle aged dons fan challenging 12 year old me to a fight after full time lol

First Team Breakthrough
    Feb 1992. Only goal of the game from Mickey Weir in the last minute - with a header!
    IIRC Aberdeen sacked their manager (Alex Smith?) a few days later, so presumably that result triggered his exit.

Watching two Aberdeen fans who were Yosser Hughes lookalikes - probably brothers - take on the police in the stadium before the game had kicked off.

It starts off with Yosser 1 shouting abuse at Hibs fans from left hand side of beach end segregation, police talk to Yosser 1 and he head butts one of the policemen. They then grab him and attempt to lift him, that's when Yosser 2 then piles into police too. The brothers lost....
    Last edited by BS44; 22-10-2021 at 06:29 PM.

Remember winning 2-0 up there early 2000/01 season.

Memorable for the news that Aberdeen had financial issues and had dispensed with the toaster in the player's canteen.

Cue Hibs fans arriving holding slices of toast in the away end.