hibs.net Messageboard

The 1964 Summer Cup Final ...and an epidemic !

The Aberdeen memories thread had me thinking on a game at Pittodrie i was not at !

We played in a cup final last season during a pandemic.
    We played up at Aberdeen in a cup final during an epidemic.

Its Summer 1964 ,a night game,and its the Summer Cup Final replay.
    Back in those days ,supporters buses going to Aberdeen were usually adults only (all day bevvy sessions)i could not go,12 yr old.

The Summer Cup attracted good crowds.
    We won the trophy twice.

The game in question had some top class players involved .
    Willie Hamilton and Charlie Cooke,to name but two.

After playing home and home, the score was 4-4
    Replay at Aberdeen ...we won 3-1

I have linked a great article from Aberdeen FC about that game and what was happening at the,time,(The typhoid outbreak)

One memory i have is being told,or read ,that our players/ team bus got attacked after the game.
    An iron railing/spike was thrown and just missed Peter Cormack.
    Had it been thrown at John McNamee , it would have bounced off!!

https://www.afc.co.uk/2020/03/21/1964-summer-football-and-a-local-epidemic/

Edit: The Typhoid outbreak/epidemic in Aberdeen at that time was found to be caused by contaminated corned beef imported from Argentina
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 22-10-2021 at 11:12 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    What a great share. Didn’t know most of that history ….cheers

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Epidemic caused by dodgy cans of Argentinian corned beef if I remember rightly.

Oops that info is in the article.
    Last edited by greenginger; 22-10-2021 at 08:46 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Aberdeen memories thread had me thinking on a game at Pittodrie i was not at !

Back in those days ,supporters buses going to Aberdeen were usually adults only (all day bevvy sessions)i could not go,12 yr old.

We won the trophy twice.

I have linked a great article from Aberdeen FC about that game and what was happening at the,time,(The typhoid outbreak)

One memory i have is being told,or read ,that our players/ team bus got attacked after the game.

https://www.afc.co.uk/2020/03/21/196...ocal-epidemic/
    Oh, what a night. I was travelling regularly with the St. Giles branch back then - what a branch. It was the first time I had seen a Hibs captain (it was John Fraser that night) lift silverware. Can remember Alan Lugton running onto the park when the teams came out and placing a chain with a holy medal around the neck of big John McNamee.
    Never to be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by greenginger View Post
    Epidemic caused by dodgy cans of Argentinian corned beef if I remember rightly.

Oops that info is in the article.

Aye it is
    I was just trying to find a match report.
    The article found is great ....
    Social issues /history of the time, not just the game
    photaes as well !!

Real good memories for me,as i remember that team.
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 22-10-2021 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp View Post
    Oh, what a night. I was travelling regularly with the St. Giles branch back then - what a branch. It was the first time I had seen a Hibs captain (it was John Fraser that night) lift silverware. Can remember Alan Lugton running onto the park when the teams came out and placing a chain with a holy medal around the neck of big John McNamee.
    Never to be forgotten.
    Had i been old enough i wouild have been on the same bus with you!!
    Alan and Smiggy always looked efter me -)

@hibs.net private member
    Had i been old enough i wouild have been on the same bus with you!!
    Alan and Smiggy always looked efter me -)
    Yeah, as mentioned earlier, it was some branch back then. The older guys always looked out for us youngsters, particularly at Ibrox. Bernie G was like a father figure to us.

@hibs.net private member
    William Low and Frey Bentos corned beef!

I went to work in Aberdeen for a year in the early-to-mid '90s (ie 30 years after it happened) and folk there were still talking about it then. And understandably.

First Team Regular
    What I a glory hunter I am.This was result that convinced a 13 year old Highland boy to finally come out and say that I was going to support Hibs after listening to tales of the Fanous Five for years from my dad.
    57 years later I can honestly say it’s been quite an experience supporting Hibs.
    I am proud to say my son and grandson are both Hibbies but keep telling them to get used to the highs and lows .

We won the trophy twice.

https://www.afc.co.uk/2020/03/21/1964-summer-football-and-a-local-epidemic/

Edit: The Typhoid outbreak/epidemic in Aberdeen at that time was found to be caused by contaminated corned beef imported from Argentina
    A 10 years old me was at easter road game and winning it game at pittodrie with my da.

Blog Entries
    Great thread Mick. I think I was at every game except the final replay. I think we played about 10 games to win the cup. I had many enjoyable nights talking about the Summer Cup in Corrie Inn with Jimmy and our wee mate Stan Vincent. Stan claimed he was the highest scorer in whole competition but was left out for the last game! I dont think Jimmy played in final game either but I'm sure there was 1 game where Jimmy, Pat and Davie Hogg, 3 Holy X boys, all played.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Great thread Mick. I think I was at every game except the final replay. I think we played about 10 games to win the cup. I had many enjoyable nights talking about the Summer Cup in Corrie Inn with Jimmy and our wee mate Stan Vincent. Stan claimed he was the highest scorer in whole competition but was left out for the last game! I dont think Jimmy played in final game either but I'm sure there was 1 game where Jimmy, Pat and Davie Hogg, 3 Holy X boys, all played.

I think it was in League Cup type sections to start.

We played Hearts , Dunfermline and Falkirk home and away, then semi final and final .

I think I made them all except the 2 Aberdeen games, part-time supporter

Aye
    The great Holy Cross connection

Hibs feeder school !

Wee Stan
    Had some good blethers with him when he frequented the Centurian.

He called me Michael the Bell,remembering when i use to take a bell to The Holy Ground.

The players could hear it ringing in the dressing room and Stan would say, Jimmy.."Michael is here "

The bell was giving to me from a neighbour who worked at the Royal Infirmary.

Painted Green and White ,of course.

The hand-bells were used by nurses in wards to signal start and finish of visiting times in the "old days"
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 25-10-2021 at 12:17 PM.

I think it was in League Cup type sections to start.

We played Hearts , Dunfermline and Falkirk home and away, then semi final and final .

I think I made them all except the 2 Aberdeen games, part-time supporter

Sorry to put a dampener on it,but here is how it went

"The 16 clubs (Old rAngers and Celtic did not enter) who entered faced each other on a round-robin basis in four groups of four teams and it appeared Jock Stein’s Hibs side had been eliminated when Hearts topped their section.

The Tynecastle club, however, decided to withdraw at this stage as they took up an offer to tour North America.

It meant Hibs played off against Dunfermline, at Tynecastle, for the last semi-final slot.

Hibs won 3-1 then went on to defeat Kilmarnock over two legs in the last four to set up a final showdown with Aberdeen.
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 25-10-2021 at 12:09 PM.

I was at the final play off, but let me start the next morning.

I woke up with the mother and father of all hangovers. I couldn't believe the foul taste in my mouth and I've never drunk whisky mac since that night in Aberdeen. As I tried to get my bearings - not too difficult, because I was in my own bed - I vaguely remember a couple of the Carlton branch lads getting me home in a taxi and me creeping into the house to avoid waking my parents in the middle of the night. I got up, got washed, put the kettle on then realised there was nobody else in.

Oh my God, the reason there was nobody in was because we were all on holiday in Montrose

I had won a few quid on the horses the day before and decided on the spur of the moment to get the train to Aberdeen for the final.

Great game, great performance and back to the pub to pack in as much drink as possible before getting the train back to Montrose.

These days were 10 o'clock closing, but I don't think anyone told the good people of Aberdeen. I got completely rat arsed and some of the Carlton branch lads got me on their bus back home. They had no idea I was supposed to be heading back to Montrose

Needless to say, my parents were at panic stations, but they were staying in my uncles house while he was abroad and I had no idea what the phone number was. I managed to get the police to get in touch and explain that all was well.

Two things about that: firstly, I can't imagine the police doing that today and secondly, how did we all survive without mobile phones?

Postscript: I hadn't collected my horsey winnings, so I took a chance and sent the receipt to the bookie in Montrose and the gentleman sent me a cheque by return of post

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by mim View Post

I woke up with the mother and father of all hangovers. I couldn't believe the foul taste in my mouth and I've never drunk whisky mac since that night in Aberdeen. As I tried to get my bearings - not too difficult, because I was in my own bed - I vaguely remember a couple of the Carlton branch lads getting me home in a taxi and me creeping into the house to avoid waking my parents in the middle of the night. I got up, got washed, put the kettle on then realised there was nobody else in.

Oh my God, the reason there was nobody in was because we were all on holiday in Montrose

I had won a few quid on the horses the day before and decided on the spur of the moment to get the train to Aberdeen for the final.

Great game, great performance and back to the pub to pack in as much drink as possible before getting the train back to Montrose.

These days were 10 o'clock closing, but I don't think anyone told the good people of Aberdeen. I got completely rat arsed and some of the Carlton branch lads got me on their bus back home. They had no idea I was supposed to be heading back to Montrose

Needless to say, my parents were at panic stations, but they were staying in my uncles house while he was abroad and I had no idea what the phone number was. I managed to get the police to get in touch and explain that all was well.

Two things about that: firstly, I can't imagine the police doing that today and secondly, how did we all survive without mobile phones?

Postscript: I hadn't collected my horsey winnings, so I took a chance and sent the receipt to the bookie in Montrose and the gentleman sent me a cheque by return of post

GGTTH
    That's a beezer!

Blog Entries

GGTTH
    Brilliant story! I had same conversation the other day about mobiles. How did we all successfully arrange to meet up on Fri/Sat nights without electronic communication?

Brilliant story! I had same conversation the other day about mobiles. How did we all successfully arrange to meet up on Fri/Sat nights without electronic communication?
    That's easy. "Under the clock at Binns"

Trouble with that was there would be dozens of couples meeting up there. Would be a problem if you couldn’t recognise the girl you had just met at the dancing the week before and you started chatting to some complete stranger.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Yep can remember well being stood up there

@hibs.net private member
    Trouble with that was there would be dozens of couples meeting up there. Would be a problem if you couldn’t recognise the girl you had just met at the dancing the week before and you started chatting to some complete stranger.
    Very true GG. That's the reason why my meeting place of choice was just over the road from Binns, at Rankins corner.
    It was a whole lot quieter. But the main advantage was that I could pop into the Princes bar of the Rutland hotel, directly opposite Rankins, have a pint and look for the girl arriving. If she turned up, then fine. If she didn't show then it saved me from getting a dizzy :)

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Brilliant thread

Binn's clock mechanism is working again. Not seen that go for yonks.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    So it took us 12 games to win the Summer Cup compared to SEVEN in 2016. My pal Stan Vincent scored SEVEN in the tournament and his claim to be top scorer could very well be true!

So it took us 12 games to win the Summer Cup compared to SEVEN in 2016. My pal Stan Vincent scored SEVEN in the tournament and his claim to be top scorer could very well be true!
    Hit a few posts in his day did Stan. Not with the ball but with various parts of his anatomy. Seem to remember that scoring against Aberdeen he crashed straight into the post-very brave (or daft).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Hit a few posts in his day did Stan. Not with the ball but with various parts of his anatomy. Seem to remember that scoring against Aberdeen he crashed straight into the post-very brave (or daft).
    He was both brave and very daft. Really funny guy.