hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: HIB$ Token

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcM View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hang on mate, keep your hair on
    Manscape says get the weed wacker out
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 22-10-2021 at 06:30 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Here’s an interesting article, suggesting that this type of thing is a deliberate future strategy for these crypto exchanges and football (sports) clubs….

This could be the first step of a new way of extracting money from fans…

https://www.sports.legal/2021/03/the...in-technology/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That's a decent article.

There's an awful lot of scaremongering on this thread that could be avoided if people read it.

Extracting money from fans is a strange take on it though!

Seems to me like because we don't understand it, we've jumped straight to 'it must be a scam'.

I don't see it that way at all. They're a sponsor, nothing more than that.

I don't think I've ever been influenced by who our sponsors are, so if they're happy to give us some cash in the hope i buy something from them, they can crack on!

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    It’s not true, Hibs rejected big sponsorship deals for front of shirt from companies that didn’t fit with the club.
    From who and when?

This stuff can **** off.

If people have concerns about the club being associated with gambling firms, these are worse. Existing in a legal no mans land where they are able to assure people they’ll do nothing but make money is an utter nonsense.

The swarm of crypto bots on any post about this just reinforces the point. Yeah, people will make money out of this, no, it won’t be fans.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    That's a decent article.

There's an awful lot of scaremongering on this thread that could be avoided if people read it.

Extracting money from fans is a strange take on it though!

Seems to me like because we don't understand it, we've jumped straight to 'it must be a scam'.

I don't think I've ever been influenced by who our sponsors are, so if they're happy to give us some cash in the hope i buy something from them, they can crack on!
    That's the way I see it. We've had shirt sponsors in the past that weren't ideal - Marathonbet are in the business of keeping more money than they give back, McEwan Fraser provided a service while at the same time taking advantage of people's financial difficulties, not to mention our bevvy of alcohol sponsors. Half of Edinburgh would have told you that Frank Graham (RIP) was a crook too.

Nobody's forcing anyone to but into this latest thing. It might be tugging on the football supporting heart strings, but at a £50 minimum buy in, they'll have to offer more than they are.

Left by mutual consent!
    It’s not true, Hibs rejected big sponsorship deals for front of shirt from companies that didn’t fit with the club.
    Yes, that's right, under the Dempster regime.

Must have cost the club hundreds of thousands of pounds and affected the financing of the squad.

I don't think Ron will be that way commercially.

@hibs.net private member JoeT_WasTheBest's Avatar
    I see Andy Robertson also has his own coin now from the same company.

@hibs.net private member
    They should’ve put an explanation out about how this works and what the benefits are. As it stands folk have already jumped on the ponzi/pyramid scheme stuff that affected HSL in the beginning- they’ll struggle to win it back now.

Not great reputationally even if it’s a legit thing.

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar

Have any other or past sponsor ever explicitly said that by using/buying their product you'll be a bigger fan or closer to being part of the club? That seems to be a big part of this lot's pitch.

Left by mutual consent!

Yes, that's a good post. Sponsors come and go just like Players, Managers and even Owners.

Just because they sponsor the club, doesn't mean you have to use the Product or Service.

I must say it is good to see the club having so many commercial partners to allow the club to grow and hopefully the quality of the team to improve.

Something lacking under the previous regime.
    Last edited by 90274; 21-10-2021 at 01:20 PM.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G15 Hibs View Post
    Have any other or past sponsor ever explicitly said that by using/buying their product you'll be a bigger fan or closer to being part of the club? That seems to be a big part of this lot's pitch.
    No idea.

Would you feel like a bigger fan if you buy into this? I'm guessing not.

I'm also guessing most other Hibs fans will feel the same way.

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    No idea.

Would you feel like a bigger fan if you buy into this? I'm guessing not.

I'm also guessing most other Hibs fans will feel the same way.
    Not at all. It does appear to be their main selling point though, which seems different from other sponsors.
    Last edited by G15 Hibs; 21-10-2021 at 01:45 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    I’ve wasted thousands over the years following/supporting Hibs what’s the difference here, money spent on nothing tangible, gives me little joy and that ultimately leaves me out of pocket. Pretty much life as a hibs fan🤷🏼😂

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    From who and when?
    This summer and I’m not at liberty to say. Edit: by “this summer” I mean in time to have been this season’s front of shirt sponsor.

First Team Breakthrough
    This summer and I’m not at liberty to say. Edit: by “this summer” I mean in time to have been this season’s front of shirt sponsor.
    So you're saying that the current ownership of the club have rejected a big money shirt sponsor due to it 'not fitting' with the club, yet simultaneously saying that this isn't a good look for the club. Doesn't add up to me.

@hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G15 Hibs View Post
    I agree that this does seem to be different to your average sponsor. It’s not just a case of get your electricity from us or place a bet with us. They are saying there will be Hibs memorabilia and exclusive fan experiences if you take this up. I also wonder who will be responsible for making this content or these experiences, the club or the company.

Either way no one is being forced into it and it does say clearly not to expect to be making money from it. So I don’t think there will be many takers in the first place and I doubt anyone will be properly done over. Maybe just disappointed with the value for money but that remains to be seen. I agree with the concerns about the principal of the whole thing though if it does turn out to be a bit of a scam.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by evy View Post
    So you're saying that the current ownership of the club have rejected a big money shirt sponsor due to it 'not fitting' with the club, yet simultaneously saying that this isn't a good look for the club. Doesn't add up to me.
    What do you mean?
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey_1875 View Post
    I agree that this does seem to be different to your average sponsor. It’s not just a case of get your electricity from us or place a bet with us. They are saying there will be Hibs memorabilia and exclusive fan experiences if you take this up. I also wonder who will be responsible for making this content or these experiences, the club or the company.

Either way no one is being forced into it and it does say clearly not to expect to be making money from it. So I don’t think there will be many takers in the first place and I doubt anyone will be properly done over. Maybe just disappointed with the value for money but that remains to be seen. I agree with the concerns about the principal of the whole thing though if it does turn out to be a bit of a scam.
    It’s a weird one, it’s aimed at over 18s but it would seem to me that the concept is more suited for younger folk.

I think if I was 8-13/14 years old the idea of collecting stuff - virtual or otherwise - that i could compare with mates etc would have been pretty exciting.

At 43, a lot less so.

I think there’sa lot of scepticism and cynicism about it, and the screen grab alleging to be from the WhatsApp group is very grim - if it’s authentic then that in itself would be enough for me to steer well clear.

The premise itself though, if it’s just a spend x get y deal, which it appears to be, I’m comfortable enough with. Folk spend hundreds of pounds on FIFA to get players - the micro transaction economy in video games is huge.

If you’re going in spending relatively small amounts of money (i.e. nobody’s being asked to commit hundreds or thousands of pounds here) and give no expectation of trading that to a profit then I could see how it might be appealing to somebody. Not me, though.

I think branding it a scam etc is maybe an overreaction based on the blurb on the Hibs website about it, for me they’re saying up front that they suggest not selling the token, that the value can increase or decrease, and explain the potential benefits/ rewards for participating.

On the flip side, the bots are alarming and if that screenshot of the chat is genuine then i wouldn’t be going near them.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    It’s a weird one, it’s aimed at over 18s but it would seem to me that the concept is more suited for younger folk.

I think if I was 8-13/14 years old the idea of collecting stuff - virtual or otherwise - that i could compare with mates etc would have been pretty exciting.

At 43, a lot less so.

I think there’sa lot of scepticism and cynicism about it, and the screen grab alleging to be from the WhatsApp group is very grim - if it’s authentic then that in itself would be enough for me to steer well clear.

The premise itself though, if it’s just a spend x get y deal, which it appears to be, I’m comfortable enough with. Folk spend hundreds of pounds on FIFA to get players - the micro transaction economy in video games is huge.

If you’re going in spending relatively small amounts of money (i.e. nobody’s being asked to commit hundreds or thousands of pounds here) and give no expectation of trading that to a profit then I could see how it might be appealing to somebody. Not me, though.

I think branding it a scam etc is maybe an overreaction based on the blurb on the Hibs website about it, for me they’re saying up front that they suggest not selling the token, that the value can increase or decrease, and explain the potential benefits/ rewards for participating.

On the flip side, the bots are alarming and if that screenshot of the chat is genuine then i wouldn’t be going near them.
    I agree with all of that.

First Team Breakthrough
    What do you mean?
    Just that on one hand we've turned down big money due to orals, but on the other taken this up which would appear to displease people and be (to some) morally bereft.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by 90274 View Post
    Yes, that's right, under the Dempster regime.

Must have cost the club hundreds of thousands of pounds and affected the financing of the squad.

I don't think Ron will be that way commercially.
    Under the current ownership.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by evy View Post
    Just that on one hand we've turned down big money due to orals, but on the other taken this up which would appear to displease people and be (to some) morally bereft.
    I’m not the decision maker on these things, but the morality of this deal is very subjective - the bots and the screen grab are not a good look and, if genuine (big caveat) are big red flags.

The morality of offering something for sale and letting people choose to buy it, and bring up front with the risks is probably more open for debate than accepting a sponsorship deal with a betting or alcohol company, for instance.

People objecting to the deal on here based on what little is known about it doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s morally bereft. I mentioned due diligence before and I believe Hibs carry out activities before agreeing partnerships.

I personally don’t know enough about Sportemongo or NFTs etc to say with any authority whether this is a good thing or not.

I do know that Hibs did not take up very good money to have sponsors on the front of the shirt because of the club’s values.

We took a betting company on the back of the shirts or shorts (can’t remember which) and I believe that deal involved a significant amount of funding to the community foundation to focus on gambling related issues.

@hibs.net private member
    I’m not the decision maker on these things, but the morality of this deal is very subjective - the bots and the screen grab are not a good look and, if genuine (big caveat) are big red flags.

The morality of offering something for sale and letting people choose to buy it, and bring up front with the risks is probably more open for debate than accepting a sponsorship deal with a betting or alcohol company, for instance.

People objecting to the deal on here based on what little is known about it doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s morally bereft. I mentioned due diligence before and I believe Hibs carry out activities before agreeing partnerships.

I personally don’t know enough about Sportemongo or NFTs etc to say with any authority whether this is a good thing or not.

I do know that Hibs did not take up very good money to have sponsors on the front of the shirt because of the club’s values.

We took a betting company on the back of the shirts or shorts (can’t remember which) and I believe that deal involved a significant amount of funding to the community foundation to focus on gambling related issues.
    Given this thread and the Mathie thread, are there any other colours of flags we can chose from or do they all have to be red

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Steve View Post
    Given this thread and the Mathie thread, are there any other colours of flags we can chose from or do they all have to be red

I’m not precious, we can go with whatever!!

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    But Duff & Gray sold us the share issue/Avon Inns deal on both emotional the logical fronts.

The hotels and pubs were to be owned by Hibs which was to bring in loads of additional income and take us to the next level - sorted! At that time we didn't have access to as much (any) information on line to check out the companies or people involved.

I don't see how that compares with individuals buying NFTs & crypto from a third party.
    I knew at the time about Avon Inns the information was out there in the newspapers at the time. People in finance were advising not to touch the share issue with a 10 foot barge pole.
    Last edited by gbhibby; 21-10-2021 at 04:08 PM.

That last paragraph is just a bizarre compromise. Promoting the cause then sticking a plaster over the symptoms.

It's like advertising cigarettes then asking Philip Morris to donate to Marie Curie.

I just can't get my head round that at all.

On SGO telegram

HI EVERYONE,

THERE WILL BE A FURTHER STATEMENT AND TWEETS BEING MADE BY HIBS ON THIER WEBSITE AND TWITTER PAGE IN THE NEXT FEW HOURS.

ON THIS OCCASION WE ARE ASKING OUR COMMUNITY NOT TO RESPOND TO THESE MESSAGES. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT THE HIBS FANS FULLY UNDERSTAND THE INFORMATION THAT IS GETTING RELEASED.

WE WILL BE FOLLOWING UP WITH AN AMA BETWEEN RICKY AND THE CLUB NEXT WEEK.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    I’ve got a digital green flag you can buy in my pre pre flag sale if you’re interested?

Quote Originally Posted by Zambernardi1875 View Post
    On SGO telegram

HI EVERYONE,

THERE WILL BE A FURTHER STATEMENT AND TWEETS BEING MADE BY HIBS ON THIER WEBSITE AND TWITTER PAGE IN THE NEXT FEW HOURS.

ON THIS OCCASION WE ARE ASKING OUR COMMUNITY NOT TO RESPOND TO THESE MESSAGES. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT THE HIBS FANS FULLY UNDERSTAND THE INFORMATION THAT IS GETTING RELEASED.

WE WILL BE FOLLOWING UP WITH AN AMA BETWEEN RICKY AND THE CLUB NEXT WEEK.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.
    Thanks for posting these. Very intrigued to see what their messaging will be especially if they don’t know people are in the chat watching.

, 🚩🏴🏳️🏁🇳🇬