hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: HIB$ Token

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    If Sir Tom Farmer and Rod Petrie were still at the helm of the club would we be engaging with Sportemongo?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Club have tweeted that they are aware of concerns..

https://twitter.com/HibernianFC/stat...62796419813383

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Sir Tom Farmer and Rod Petrie were still at the helm of the club would we be engaging with Sportemongo?
    Probably not, but we’d still be looking for the fans to dig ever deeper as our only way to grow our commercial income.

This is probably the most prominent example that I've seen of the dilemma between wanting the club to maximise revenue as a supporter who wants to see growth, but recognising that some of the most profitable commercial avenues for football clubs are insidious and potentially harmful industries.

Will the 6-figure income from this partnership be worth the PR backlash and the friction it has caused for the support? The honest answer is I'm not sure, however I am sure that I'd rather the club read the room with this one and didn't pursue it.

The catch is now that there's no real chance of winning. If they cut ties, it's lost revenue and the PR backlash remains. If they follow through with the contract, that friction remains. If Sportemon Go (what a dreadful name, by the way) have a sound business model and stable technology, that's only going to be value neutral at this stage. Any, and I really mean any issue, no matter how small, with the technology architecture, the finance, the customer experience etc will only exasperate the wounds.

Should round off by saying I think the club has improved immensely as a commercially viable entity in recent times. We've made record revenue from our work in this area and that credit doesn't suddenly disappear over this, however it does mean the portfolio as a whole loses some marks.

Also, Doidgecoin? Outstanding. 😭
    Last edited by Vault Boy; 21-10-2021 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    Noticed that as well. I had a suspicion going by the screenshots and chat messages that these accounts weren’t bots but actually were initial investors/adopters of the crypto who are looking to make money off new buyers (Hibs fans)
    All that companies crypto efforts require you to buy into their underlying currency, the more people that do, the more that goes up in value.

That’s their business model, sponsor as many random things as they can, hope enough are lured in by those associations and the various bot accounts hyping it up, to ensure the profits from their own currency are more than the outgoings.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    This is probably the most prominent example that I've seen of the dilemma between wanting the club to maximise revenue as a supporter who wants to see growth, but recognising that some of the most profitable commercial avenues for football clubs are insidious and potentially harmful industries.

Will the 6-figure income from this partnership be worth the PR backlash and the friction it has caused for the support? The honest answer is I'm not sure, however I am sure that I'd rather the club read the room with this one and didn't pursue it.

The catch is now that there's no real chance of winning. If they cut ties, it's lost revenue and the PR backlash remains. If they follow through with the contract, that friction remains. If Sportemon Go (what a dreadful name, by the way) have a sound business model and stable technology, that's only going to be value neutral at this stage. Any, and I really mean any issue, no matter how small, with the technology architecture, the finance, the customer experience etc will only exasperate the wounds.

Should round off by saying I think the club has improved immensely as a commercially viable entity in recent times. We've made record revenue from our work in this area and that credit doesn't suddenly disappear over this, however it does mean the portfolio as a whole loses some marks.

Come on, we’ve had betting company logos emblazoned across the Hibs shirt in recent years. Like all businesses, Hibs has to hold its nose sometimes when signing commercial deals.

@hibs.net private member St.Kristopher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    This is probably the most prominent example that I've seen of the dilemma between wanting the club to maximise revenue as a supporter who wants to see growth but recognising that some of the most profitable commercial avenues for football clubs are insidious and potentially harmful industries.

Agree. I would hate to be the in charge of all this. Many of he same people demanding a great product on the pitch are also wanting our partners to be beyond reproach. Besides HCF and NHS, is there a do no harm sponsor in the last 20 years?

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Come on, we’ve had betting company logos emblazoned across the Hibs shirt in recent years. Like all businesses, Hibs has to hold its nose sometimes when signing commercial deals.
    Well, it can, or it can’t.

As was discussed in the thread when this company first appeared. If the club wants to present itself as ‘just’ a football club, then it can pretty much sign any agreements it likes; it’s just a football club, so whatever money it can get, it will take, because it makes for a stronger football club.

However, if the club wants to say it’s part of the community, if the club wants to say it cares about supporters health and well-being, should it be promoting companies that damage those things? Hibs have repeatedly claimed to be the greenest club in Scotland, yet the products offered by Sportemon are ludicrously wasteful in terms of electricity used to create them.

In short, if the club wants to have causes beyond being a football team, that’s fine, but it ends up looking a bit hypocritical, or daft, when it associates with companies that conflict with them.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    And since then the club have said they no longer want to have gambling companies as principle sponsors. I don't think my post really says that I think this partnership is morally wrong, it's certainly not meant to say that anyway, it's more about being aware of what kind of backlash was likely to come from something like this.

Regardless of whether the deal is justifiable from the perspective of business ethics, it's inarguable that it's been problematic for us in regards to PR. Rightly or wrongly, had this sponsorship come from Edin Mill, Paddy Power or an Amazon subsidiary, the backlash wouldn't have been so pronounced - it seems like the club didn't quite gauge this fully.

FWIW I'm also not ready to write off the suggestion that this will end up being a straight up pyramid scheme or some such, I just don't know enough about the company to make that judgement.
    Last edited by Vault Boy; 21-10-2021 at 11:17 PM.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    i smell *****e and really don't like seeing the word 'hibs' with a dollar sign instead of the S, it looks utterly trashy, anti-community and gross.

reading the FAQ, it looks like this is some sort of digital replacement for stuff like programmes and ticket stubs. meh.

@hibs.net private member
    I’ve absolutely no idea about all this token stuff to be blatantly honest it’s way over my head, can someone explain the environmental cost of this and why it’s being talked about as if it’s a huge problem? Is it the mining thing like bitcoin? Or something completely different, if it is such a huge thing why are we as a club who have attempted to be top 3 in uk greenest clubs got involved in the first place?

I won't be putting money in and its my choice if people want to buy then fine its not illegal I presume the fuss about this is ludicrous we have had bookmakers stalls in the stadium and sponsors on the strips for years and alcohol sponsors

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by May21/05/16; 22-10-2021 at 05:59 AM.

We'd probably be sponsored by a gambling company. Which causes more harm?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    We'd probably be sponsored by a gambling company. Which causes more harm?
    To be fair, this crypto thing has spammed the official twitter feed with fake accounts faking interest in this token, I can’t remember Marathon Bet for example stooping so low to make us all gamble.

As I said in previous post I’m no expert on this subject…..but it stinks pretty bad

Did we engage with anybody who wanted to invest or sponsor for much of their tenure?

Everything about this link up is appalling, including the name of the scammers. Sportemongo FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    I’ve absolutely no idea about all this token stuff to be blatantly honest it’s way over my head, can someone explain the environmental cost of this and why it’s being talked about as if it’s a huge problem? Is it the mining thing like bitcoin? Or something completely different, if it is such a huge thing why are we as a club who have attempted to be top 3 in uk greenest clubs got involved in the first place?
    https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/15/2...climate-change

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Thanks for this 👍

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    i smell *****e and really don't like seeing the word 'hibs' with a dollar sign instead of the S, it looks utterly trashy, anti-community and gross.
    I think that's what's annoyed me most about this thing. Its a hideously crass exploitation of our club's name. Why do that other than trying to suggest you can make money out of it and that's all that's important? Awful.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Looks like someone has dropped the ball on this one. Not been well received by the fanbase at all and the use of all these Twitter accounts under every post has only made it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    As Karen Dunbars character said in Chewing the Fat, I smell sh***.

Wow, what a surprise. The whole thing's a con and plenty of posters on here said so when it was announced.

Hibs should have had nothing to do with this.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    No one from the club since day 1 has put their name to it. The longer it goes on the more I question that individual’s involvement in the deal. Even more so now we’re doubling down on it.
    The 1st notice on the official website had someone’s name on it, who works for Hibs. He won’t be the decision maker though. Someone has to take responsibility for this though, too many bad decisions coming out of Hibs now

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Common inquiry: is sportemongo.com legit? Good question and we have a good answer: we DO NOT endorse it as it has a very low trusting rank. The website is suspicious, while genuine reviews don't help it much. We provide a non-biased overview of this business and its niche and explore how questionable it is. Let's see what the problems are below.

Our validator used 53 powerful factors to authenticate if sportemongo.com is legit.

The Scam Detector’s algorithm gives this business the following rank:

8.6/100

https://www.bing.com/search?q=how+sa...ANNAB1&PC=U531

My son tells me that this is a reliable site and he's well invested in Crypto related business..

It's been poorly judged by Hibs, but I still can't see many parting with their cash for tokens.

You’d have thought the new CEO would be all over any potentially damaging partnerships after his **** up at Norwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    You’d have thought the new CEO would be all over any potentially damaging partnerships after his **** up at Norwich.
    What happened at Norwich?

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    What happened at Norwich?
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57424206.amp

Is it just me, or do the 2 situations look VERY similar indeed?

Left by mutual consent!
    I think we have to accept the fact that we are now under ownership by an ambitious owner who will be looking to maximise commercial revenue which means that we will have a number of commercial partnerships in place that won't please everyone or everyone will understand them.

It is the complete opposite of being run as a community club where the custodians are more accountable for the commercial partnerships that are made, such as only having commercial partnerships with companies that are responsible to the environment etc.

I'm stunned at the sheer amount of people who don't have a clue what this is and also clearly need further education regarding what a pyramid scheme actually is, because its certainly not something you could use to describe this.

Goes into a bit more detail here.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/norwich...tagram-8032932