hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar

Paul McGinn - a big miss.

As the title says.

He's much better than a lot of people think. And you can't stop every cross, as was proved today.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As the title says.

He's much better than a lot of people think. And you can't stop every cross, as was proved today.
    I think today showed how important McGinn, Magennis, Porteous and Doidge are to us.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    I think today showed how much. McGinn, Magennis, Porteous and Doidge are to us.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Agree totally. Our most underrated player. Uses the ball so well and links up brilliantly with Boyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Agree totally. Our most underrated player. Uses the ball so well and links up brilliantly with Boyle.

He had a very shaky start to the season but he's been a solid 7 out of 10 most weeks since arriving.

That showed today as the right side of our defence never gelled at all. He was a big miss.

McGinns distribution is seriously underrated.

By contrast I’m starting to wonder what Caddens real strengths are. He’s versatile but he doesn’t really excel at anything. A good squad player and that’s it.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Have given him stick this season but he’d have been an improvement out there today. No question.

I think today showed how important McGinn, Magennis, Porteous and Doidge are to us.
    It did, but it shouldn't and can't be used to excuse today's performance. We should have enough depth to still be able to compete

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Oagwibble View Post
    It did, but it shouldn't and can't be used to excuse today's performance. We should have enough depth to still be able to compete
    It excuses the quality it doesn't excuse the lack of effort and application. We were a team of "leave it to you" today

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post

By contrast I’m starting to wonder what Caddens real strengths are. He’s versatile but he doesn’t really excel at anything. A good squad player and that’s it.
    Agreed. Cadden can run but I'm struggling to see much else in him ( barring his cross for Nisbet last week).

It excuses the quality it doesn't excuse the lack of effort and application. We were a team of "leave it to you" today
    Yup. It was grim.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    He had a very shaky start to the season but he's been a solid 7 out of 10 most weeks since arriving.

That showed today as the right side of our defence never gelled at all. He was a big miss.
    I didn’t even think his start was that shaky. We’d just got so used to him playing so well last season that to see him make any errors in a game stuck out more. A victim of his own success maybe?
    One of our most dependable players in years, I love the attitude he takes on to the pitch.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    I didn’t even think his start was that shaky. We’d just got so used to him playing so well last season that to see him make any errors in a game stuck out more. A victim of his own success maybe?
    One of our most dependable players in years, I love the attitude he takes on to the pitch.
    I agree.

Anyone know why he wasn't quoted today ?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post

For me we can take the versatile label off Cadden for the right back slot after yesterday, I would only use him from the bench on either side of midfield when required.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Very disappointing from Cadden yesterday.

He’s been at the club a while now so surely he’d know what the right back position is all about?

He did less than Paul in an attacking sense, and defensively wasn’t on the same page.

That's the spine of the team + one. Major surgery required in the next two windows.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

I really like McGinn and rate him highly.

The whole "losing goals from crosses from our right" mystifies me a bit. McGinn was excellent last season, excellent in our last couple of games at ER and has shown that in general he has the ability to do the defensive stuff of tackle, block and track runners as well as the positional sense to be able to be in the right place to do it too.

TBH I rate him so highly it's almost like these goals are down to something else - something tactical, or something in the middle after the cross comes in.

We went on a great defensive run at the start of last season and it seemed like Porteous and Hanlon were dunting away everything that came in. It wasn't as if our fullbacks were stopping every cross. None of the goals we lose look obviously like they are the fault of our centre halves but by standing up balls into certain areas the opposition seem to be able to get a run on either our midfielders or fullbacks and score.

Contrasting that to what happens at the other end - on Saturday we actually forced more than a few decent positions during the game when we had the ball out wide, having got the ball beyond a fullback in a way we've been slaughtering McGinn for. When we got there either the cross was atrocious or it went over into a position where Nisbet was nowhere near it and nobody else had gambled.

In fairness - Magennis' late runs are probably part of the answer going forward. And Doidge is a big threat from the floated cross. And McGinn's deliveries are generally good.

But FFS we look much more vulnerable defensively from certain positions than we looks going forward and I can't get my head around it.
    Last edited by Smartie; 18-10-2021 at 03:35 PM.

McGinn brings a level of consistency you need in a side. Mr dependable. We look far more comfortable with him in the team as his teammates know they can rely on him.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Very disappointing from Cadden yesterday.

He’s been at the club a while now so surely he’d know what the right back position is all about?

He did less than Paul in an attacking sense, and defensively wasn’t on the same page.
    Not sure what Cadden brings.

Didn’t look like a right back to me but doesn't really offer anything in an attacking sense if you play him further forward. He’ll get up and down the park but not seeing much else from him.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post

Didn’t look like a right back to me but doesn't really offer anything in an attacking sense if you play him further forward. He’ll get up and down the park but not seeing much else from him.

I think he’s a decent player. He certainly was. Fingers crossed he gets there again.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    McGinn brings a level of consistency you need in a side. Mr dependable. We look far more comfortable with him in the team as his teammates know they can rely on him.
    Mr dependable? at one point every league goal we’d conceded came from a cross from his side.

Let’s not rewrite the start Paul’s had. He’s been poor so far.

Hopefully he’s back on his game when he gets back

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Mr dependable? at one point every league goal we’d conceded came from a cross from his side.

Let’s not rewrite the start Paul’s had. He’s been poor so far.

Hopefully he’s back on his game when he gets back
    The crosses may have come from his side but they weren't all his fault.

He maybe could have done better for a couple but, as usual, there was a huge over reaction from some on here.

He's been playing well and we missed him on Saturday, and not just in defence.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post

He maybe could have done better for a couple but, as usual, there was a huge over reaction from some on here.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post

I disagree he’d been playing well, thought he’s been notably poorer than what we were used to seeing last season

I know. He got lucky with that hopeful punt into the box at Ibrox.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    I know. He got lucky with that hopeful punt into the box at Ibrox.
    Ah, the predictable sarcastic reply. He must have appeared 20 odd times for us and that’s his total contribution in an attacking sense.

Ah, the predictable sarcastic reply. He must have appeared 20 odd times for us and that’s his total contribution in an attacking sense.
    That’s garbage. He looked good for us when he was playing wide right and Boyle was moved into the middle not long after he joined us. Cadden’s a good player and your comments about him are nonsense. Guy’s been unlucky with injuries and he’ll be an important player for us.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    That’s garbage. He looked good for us when he was playing wide right and Boyle was moved into the middle not long after he joined us. Cadden’s a good player and your comments about him are nonsense. Guy’s been unlucky with injuries and he’ll be an important player for us.
    So highlighting that he has 1 assist in 18 appearances is nonsense?

I don’t think he’s looked good. Not really looked that bad most of the time, but certainly not good. I don’t think he’s a threat attacking wise. Maybe you can enlighten me to all the things I’m missing.

Seen enough of him to form an opinion, which doesn’t mean I’m writing him off, but certainly not seen enough to think he’ll be anything more than a squad player for us.