hibs.net Messageboard

Porteous and McGinn

Now that we’ve played a game without the pair of them can we please stop taking them for granted.

With how we play as a team and wanting to play at pace and with a large degree of risk out defenders need to be brave and are often exposed because of this. McGinn, Porteous, Hanlon and Doig deal with the majority of this very well as often when we’re being countered they’re one on one of making up a lot of ground.

Not just defensively, I can’t help but feel Porteous’ and even more so McGinns distribution is undervalued. Both of them are very brave on the ball and start the majority of our attacks, whether that’s a pass that splits the midfield or stepping into the game and taking one of the opposition players out of the equation.

No coincidence at all for me that on Saturday we struggled to get out midfield and attackers on the ball and into the game with those two missing

2. Log in to remove the advert

Yes it’s quite alarming the lack of cover we have. A big clearout required and players capable of performing to a decent standard brought in.

@hibs.net private member
    McGinn has had a poor start to the season like a lot of them. His underwhelming performances aren't suddenly better because we got pumped without him.

Quote Originally Posted by coldingham hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes it’s quite alarming the lack of cover we have. A big clearout required and players capable of performing to a decent standard brought in.
    A big clearout isn't required at all.

We have players performing to a decent standard, the clue is that they've been performing to a decent standard for months and months now.

Quote Originally Posted by coldingham hibs View Post
    I don't think we need a clear out exactly. Obviously, if there are any players at Hibs who Jack Ross is reluctant to use even in the current situation then they should really be moved on (and there seems to be a few of them) but I don't see a squad packed with deadwood.

We definitely need to add to the squad though.

And whilst there are big things expected of Ethan Laidlaw, I'm a wee bit disappointed that we don't seem to have any youngsters ready and waiting to take an opportunity given to them at this time. I've been reading Paul Merson's book and it's interesting how he goes into the subject of how young players get their first chance in the team. We've still got a few players in our first team who have grasped opportunities at various points over the past 15 years or so but there doesn't seem to be anyone likely to take a similar step up any time soon.

A lot of folk on here wanted McGinn dropped at start of season was missed on Saturday

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cod Boy View Post
    A lot of folk on here wanted McGinn dropped at start of season was missed on Saturday
    Me being one of them. Not once did I think we'd miss mister 6 or 7/10 but boy we did. Our whole shape was gone. I got that majorly wrong.

The start xi was greeted with much anticipation but they were so far off it, our missing players shone brightest.

Hopefully McGinn is back for Aberdeen and McGregor may get a start too. Wood look a little lost. Sure there's a player in there though.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    McGinn has had a poor start to the season like a lot of them. His underwhelming performances aren't suddenly better because we got pumped without him.

McGinn’s poor performances are history now. He was back to his usual solid game before the international break.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cod Boy View Post

That’s cos he did have a dip in form at the start of the season.

They are one performance away from "we need better" "should have sold him when we had the chance"

Two players that are two of the first on the team sheet. You could add Doidge and Magennis to that. Four huge misses.

Maybe not as obvious seeing as he’s not a first pick anymore but I also think we miss Lewis in games like that where we go behind. When things are desperate you quite often notice him being the one showing urgency and taking responsibility with the ball.

The amount of players not looking to be proactively visible on Saturday was the most alarmed I’ve been for a long time.

To agree with what’s been said already - there genuinely are players you don’t appreciate until they’re not there. I knew when Doidge got his injury for instance that we may have a number of games where we really struggle if plan A goes awry.