hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

We've not become a bad team overnight, but..................

.....we are so predictable to play against.

I'm no football expert, but it's pretty obvious that if you stop the supply to Boyle then you've done pretty well to nullify Hibs. The best way to stop the supply is to win the midfield battle, which DU did pretty effectively today, and to pressurise our centre-backs, which again DU did today. Same with other teams in recent seasons, especially St Johnstone. Both centre-backs had no time on the ball and no option other to launch aimless punts forward, which was so easy for the DU defenders, especially as they don't have to worry about Doidge.

Today, we lost the midfield, but it's no surprise to me that we lost the game. We can't play compete with a midfield consisting of an out-of-sorts Scott Allan, a workmanlike Doyle-Hayes and a lazy Joe Newell. The linkage between midfield & attack and midfield & defence was non-existent today and is often the case when we play teams that 'win' the midfield.

As I've said, I'm no expert, but we can't play competitive teams with a front three of Murphy, Nisbet and Boyle. We need four or even five players in midfield to win the battle and get Boyle and Nisbet moving forward as a front two, supported by midfield.

As a slight aside, even when Boyle did get the ball today, it was pretty obvious that the message to the opposition players is take him down early, as a free-kick to Hibs 35 yards from goal a much more attractive option than facing a Boyle running at you at full speed. Which takes me back to my main point, nullify Boyle and Hibs become a poor and predictable team to play against.

2. Log in to remove the advert

We still have Boyle though and it’ll take a fair effort to nulify him which opens other doors for us.

@hibs.net private member
    It’s not overnight, you’re right.

Dundee away
    Hearts away
    St Mirren home
    Dundee Utd home.

We’re not a bad team overnight. We’re just a bog average team. That’s exactly what we are. We won’t win a cup and we won’t finish top 3 this season.

We have a fan base that’s happy with the drivel that Jack Ross puts out. We won’t achieve any more while accepting this crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Dundee away
    Hearts away
    St Mirren home
    Dundee Utd home.

We’re not a bad team overnight. We’re just a bog average team. That’s exactly what we are. We won’t win a cup and we won’t finish top 3 this season.

We have a fan base that’s happy with the drivel that Jack Ross puts out. We won’t achieve any more while accepting this crap.
    Lose to the worst Aberdeen team in years next week and this place will go into full on meltdown.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar

Dundee away
    Hearts away
    St Mirren home
    Dundee Utd home.

We can't all be experts.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    We can't all be experts.
    We don't all have to be experts.

He's right.

We are predictable and half decent managers, as well as all of us, have sussed out our slow, one paced game (aside from Boyle) is easy to nullify.

Quite how we are this poor, and have almost no options off the bench, with >10000 st holders baffles me.

The first few games of the season we were looking sharp and pinging the ball around. We have now fallen back to default mode, slow as **** and don't close other teams down like they manage to close us down. Without Porteous, Doidge and Gogic we are utter powderpuff as well. WTF has happened to JDH, I thought he was going to be a standout player not an invisible player.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post

He's right.

We are predictable and half decent managers, as well as all of us, have sussed out our slow, one paced game (aside from Boyle) is easy to nullify.

Quite how we are this poor, and have almost no options off the bench, with >10000 st holders baffles me.
    I was referring more to Steve20's inference that everyone's an idiot except him.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I was referring more to Steve20's inference that everyone's an idiot except him.
    That can't be true, as I am really clever too😁

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post

He's right.

The thing is how long will RG persist with it?

The booing at the the game today hadn't been heard as loud as that since the Butcher era. A few more defeats like today and its back to they dark days. The Jan transfer window is going to be massive for us.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Bryce View Post
    The thing is how long will RG persist with it?

The booing at the the game today hadn't been heard as loud as that since the Butcher era. A few more defeats like today and its back to they dark days. The Jan transfer window is going to be massive for us.
    There wasn't that many left at the end of the game so top booing. It is the first time since that final I have considered leaving early. I've no issue with players having an off day but if they aren't willing to put a full shift in then they can't expect supporters to do so. The East was almost empty when the ref blew up.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    There wasn't that many left at the end of the game so top booing. It is the first time since that final I have considered leaving early. I've no issue with players having an off day but if they aren't willing to put a full shift in then they can't expect supporters to do so. The East was almost empty when the ref blew up.
    The booing was during the game, It was loud and clear in the East then they all left.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar

Dundee away
    Hearts away
    St Mirren home
    Dundee Utd home.

we were ok at Dundee (one poor defensive lapse cost us two points) and we played well at tynecastle

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I’d hate to see the reaction on here if there were folk who’d just been waiting for a bad performance to tear into Jack Ross.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post

I'm no football expert, but it's pretty obvious that if you stop the supply to Boyle then you've done pretty well to nullify Hibs. The best way to stop the supply is to win the midfield battle, which DU did pretty effectively today, and to pressurise our centre-backs, which again DU did today. Same with other teams in recent seasons, especially St Johnstone. Both centre-backs had no time on the ball and no option other to launch aimless punts forward, which was so easy for the DU defenders, especially as they don't have to worry about Doidge.

Today, we lost the midfield, but it's no surprise to me that we lost the game. We can't play compete with a midfield consisting of an out-of-sorts Scott Allan, a workmanlike Doyle-Hayes and a lazy Joe Newell. The linkage between midfield & attack and midfield & defence was non-existent today and is often the case when we play teams that 'win' the midfield.

As I've said, I'm no expert, but we can't play competitive teams with a front three of Murphy, Nisbet and Boyle. We need four or even five players in midfield to win the battle and get Boyle and Nisbet moving forward as a front two, supported by midfield.

As a slight aside, even when Boyle did get the ball today, it was pretty obvious that the message to the opposition players is take him down early, as a free-kick to Hibs 35 yards from goal a much more attractive option than facing a Boyle running at you at full speed. Which takes me back to my main point, nullify Boyle and Hibs become a poor and predictable team to play against.
    Fair assessment, time for JR to earn his coin and look for a 2nd and 3rd option other than MB

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    Fair assessment, time for JR to earn his coin and look for a 2nd and 3rd option other than MB
    Tbf, we're also missing Kyle magennis and Christian doidge, both of whom could be expected to make a decent impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Tbf, we're also missing Kyle magennis and Christian doidge, both of whom could be expected to make a decent impact.
    We're badly missing Doidge, we also shouldn't be as limited as we are right now.
    The squad depth is terrible.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post

You’re right we’ve not become a bad team. We had a mare today, but we’ll still comfortably finish third.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    You’re right we’ve not become a bad team. We had a mare today, but we’ll still comfortably finish third.
    No chance we will comfortably finish 3rd. Not a hope in hell unless we get rid of the non triers. Any midfield in the top 2 leagues in Scotland would get get the better of a midfield containing Allan and Newell who seem more interested in making sure their hair is in place than getting wired in.

We’ve not become a bad team overnight but we weren’t a great one to begin with. We’re average.

Without significant strengthening we’ll finish 7th or 8th.

With decent strengthening (and depending what other clubs do) we should be anywhere up to 3rd.

The size of squad, lack of depth and number of injuries we pick up is of concern. We’ve also got too many players with glaring weaknesses who cannot play in teams who play a certain way.

Yesterday was an absolute hiding and I’ve got much optimism that they won’t become a fairly regular occurrence. If a first choice CH gets injured we’re in big trouble.

Doidge getting fit is key, because we’re carrying a passenger in Nisbet right now as well.

Ross has little choice but to soldier on with these guys.
    There must be some alternative attacking ploy than getting it to Boyle.
    You could tell from the start that it wasn't going to be a good day.

@hibs.net private member
    Watched Dundee Utd warm up and their intensity levels was far superior to Hibs. It was the same up at Utd in the cup. I personally thought D Utd at tannadice was the better team second half and looked far fitter than we do, same again yesterday looked far fitter.

At present we are a one trick pony going forward with Boyle as already stated. However we make things very hard for ourselves with poor passing the ball forward as the number of times it goes behind a player not in front of them to keep up the momentum allowing teams time to re organise.

Anyway Aberdeen, Celtic and Ross County next up and it could be a hard fortnight of footy results for us if we play like we just did.

GGTTH

I think it's time to inject some youth into the team. We have some of the best young talent in the country, let's see how they do as it can't be any worse than what we're watching at the moment.

Promising Youngster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Weir View Post
    I think it's time to inject some youth into the team. We have some of the best young talent in the country, let's see how they do as it can't be any worse than what we're watching at the moment.
    I feel for Gullan, he could easily have come on wide left for Murphy or up top but he just sat on the bench. JR clearly doesn’t fancy him.

It's probably not relevant to this thread but it's also not worth a thread of it's own.

Anyway I stumbled across a couple of videos on Twitter of Celtic fans reaction towards their manager at FT yerterday. By their standards they have not had a good start to the season. Already trailing Rangers, lost the derby, out the CL, struggling in the Europa League etc etc. Yet their manager got a huge ovation from them and the general feel I get is that they really like him.

Part of that is they know they have a huge rebuild on and their anger is aimed elsewhere. Equally though his attacking, exciting style resonates with them. They love the energy of their team and they love the 'if you score 1 goal, we' ll score 2' mentality. I think fans will forgive a lot if they are entertained.

That's one thing I rarely feel watching Hibs these days. More often than not I'm satisfied with the result and ultimately you can't put up much of an argument against the manager when that is the case. I struggle to find much enthusiasm though as I find us utterly boring most of the time. It's functional football with Martin Boyle being one bright spark and Scott Allan occasionally turning the clock back.

As long as it works and we get results the grumbling will remain an undercurrent, flaring up a bit more after days like yesterday, but the majority will remain onside even if in cases like mine it:s a bit grudging. If we lose a few in a row and drop a couple of places in the table I don't think it will take much for a fair few to turn. You heard the reaction towards the end of the game yesterday and that was from people who had both bothered to turn up in the 1st place and then stayed long after a huge majority had walked out.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gaz1875 View Post
    The first few games of the season we were looking sharp and pinging the ball around. We have now fallen back to default mode, slow as **** and don't close other teams down like they manage to close us down. Without Porteous, Doidge and Gogic we are utter powderpuff as well. WTF has happened to JDH, I thought he was going to be a standout player not an invisible player.
    JDH was fighting a losing battle in midfield yesterday given the lack of commitment round about him.

We’re an average team in Scottish football terms imo.

Without significant strengthening in January we’ll finish somewhere around mid table and we’ll certainly not be third again.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    We're badly missing Doidge, we also shouldn't be as limited as we are right now.
    The squad depth is terrible.
    This is the biggest concern for me

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    JDH was fighting a losing battle in midfield yesterday given the lack of commitment round about him.
    Where's all this selective praise of JDH coming from? He was as useless as the rest yesterday and went into hiding himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Hatrick View Post
    We’re an average team in Scottish football terms imo.

Without significant strengthening in January we’ll finish somewhere around mid table and we’ll certainly not be third again.
    We clearly aren’t an average football team in Scotland. I’d agree we are an average team. But in Scotland we are a top 4 team ergo not average.