hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Winning At Home

Quote Originally Posted by Lovethehibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we were playing all out attack every week and getting humped i guarantee folk would be on here moaning that we need to be more defensive, fans will never be happy
    Obviously if we were getting beat every week, folk wouldn’t be happy. I agree you can’t keep everyone happy, I just think this team could be keeping more people happy. Best indicator is how many seats are filled in the ground IMO and that’s telling it’s own story at the moment.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    If we were playing all out attack every week and getting humped i guarantee folk would be on here moaning that we need to be more defensive, fans will never be happy
    Is anybody advocating all out attack or has any Hibs side in the last 20 or 30 years played all out attacking football? Personally I’d sacrifice a league place or two for a more attacking, high energy style with midfielders running ahead of the ball, over a league place or two higher with a more pragmatic style.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Is anybody advocating all out attack or has any Hibs side in the last 20 or 30 years played all out attacking football? Personally I’d sacrifice a league place or two for a more attacking, high energy style with midfielders running ahead of the ball, over a league place or two higher with a more pragmatic style.
    You'd happily see us lose more games of football? Each to their own!

Why does it need to be one or the other?

Also, you’ll generally find that the world over that football teams that play a style of football that’s easy on the eye are generally pretty good at getting results as well. This idea that good football will see you get beat which seems to get trotted out to defend boring football is daft really.

The vast majority of the time the teams that are challenging for leagues are playing cracking football as well. Rangers won the league last year playing great football. Man City done it. Bayern done it. Liverpool done it the year before and Man City done it the year before.

Playing good football usually happens because you’re a good side and will usually see you do really well.
    Last edited by Perfect Hatrick; 20-10-2021 at 06:23 PM.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    In the black and white hypothetical world. I’d sacrifice some wins and a league place or two to enjoy my Saturday afternoons rather than enjoy Hibs doing well but at the cost of the 90 minutes on a Saturday being the part that’s a chore.

I would if it meant we were better to watch.

If I’m walking up to Easter road for our next game I’d rather be walking up for a game like the 5-5 against rangers than I would be walking up for the recent 1-0. St Johnstone.
    Last edited by Perfect Hatrick; 20-10-2021 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Hatrick View Post

If I’m walking up to Easter road for our next game I’d rather be walking up for a game like the 5-5 against rangers than I would be walking up for the recent 1-0. St Johnstone.
    I'd take the 1-0 every day of the week.

I'd take the 1-0 every day of the week.
    And that’s fair enough.

Some people clearly don’t go to football for the entertainment and only go for results - although I suppose to them that maybe is their entertainment. That’s absolutely fine. Plenty go for the entertainment though of watching a team playing exciting football with sublime individuals and team play and it’s quite apparent from our crowds and comments online that people don’t feel they’re getting that

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar

Id be willing to bet money that you wouldnt, no football fan should be happy to lose more games

First Team Breakthrough
    Winning games is obviously the end goal but taking last year's Scottish Cup Final as an example, uf we list a thrilling final I suspect more fans would be ok with that than the performance we witnessed. I don't want to see Hibs play Bertie Auld style again.

Why does it need to be one or the other?

Also, you’ll generally find that the world over that football teams that play a style of football that’s easy on the eye are generally pretty good at getting results as well. This idea that good football will see you get beat which seems to get trotted out to defend boring football is daft really.

The vast majority of the time the teams that are challenging for leagues are playing cracking football as well. Rangers won the league last year playing great football. Man City done it. Bayern done it. Liverpool done it the year before and Man City done it the year before.

Playing good football usually happens because you’re a good side and will usually see you do really well.
    You do realise these teams spent multi millions on players to be able to play like that, think you need to come into the real world

You do realise these teams spent multi millions on players to be able to play like that, think you need to come into the real world
    And they have to play against teams with multi million pound players.

It’s not impossible to play like them in Scotland. Lennons Hibs and Mowbrays Hibs were every bit as exciting as these teams, they just played at a lower level.

Nobody is suggesting we should play like them and also be as good as them. There’s nothing to stop us playing in the same style as them though.

The Hibs teams that have played the best football in the past 40 years have probably been Mowbrays and Lennons at the end of the 17/18 season. They also got results. It can quite clearly be done at Hibs.
    Last edited by Perfect Hatrick; 20-10-2021 at 06:30 PM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Rangers and Celtic attack domestically pretty much every game so why shouldn't we?

And they have to play against teams with multi million pound players.

It’s not impossible to play like them in Scotland. Lennons Hibs and Mowbrays Hibs were every bit as exciting as these teams, they just played at a lower level.

Nobody is suggesting we should play like them and also be as good as them. There’s nothing to stop us playing in the same style as them though.

The Hibs teams that have played the best football in the past 40 years have probably been Mowbrays and Lennons at the end of the 17/18 season. It can quite clearly be done at Hibs.
    If you think its not impossible to play like the teams you mentioned then ill bow out of this as i cant take you serious any longer, and we werent great every week under mowbray, or lennon for that fact, especially in the championship

Id be willing to bet money that you wouldnt, no football fan should be happy to lose more games
    I’d be willing to bet money that I would.

Football fans should be happy with whatever they’re happy with, not what you tell us to be happy with. If that’s 1-0 slogs that you win then that’s fine. If that’s 5-5 draws that’ll live with you for the rest of your life because it was such incredible entertainment that’s also fine.

I can safely say that I’m glad that Rangers game went the way it did rather than a boring 1-0 win. That game will live with me forever and was simply incredible entertainment.
    Last edited by Perfect Hatrick; 20-10-2021 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CJHibby View Post
    Rangers and Celtic attack domestically pretty much every game so why shouldn't we?
    Quite simple, they have better players

If you think its not impossible to play like the teams you mentioned then ill bow out of this as i cant take you serious any longer, and we werent great every week under mowbray, or lennon for that fact, especially in the championship
    You’re right. Kick and rush is all Scottish football teams can play.

First Team Breakthrough
    Perfect Hatrick hits the nail squarely on the head. We pay high enough wages within the Scottish game to play such like. We are historically renowned for it.

First Team Breakthrough
    With all due respect, Love the Hibs, we aren't Ross County. We have a lot of good players at present and will flourish in an attacking formation. I think Doig should be used more extensively in an attacking sense as going forward he is great but not so good defensively. Rangers and Celtic have better players but it doesn't stop you attacking them. Furthermore, with lesser teams we should be much more ruthless imho.

With all due respect, Love the Hibs, we aren't Ross County. We have a lot of good players at present and will flourish in an attacking formation. I think Doig should be used more extensively in an attacking sense as going forward he is great but not so good defensively. Rangers and Celtic have better players but it doesn't stop you attacking them. Furthermore, with lesser teams we should be much more ruthless imho.
    So you want to push him forward more knowing he isnt so good at defending, so when he is away up the park more and left exposed we have a greater chance of condeding goals, cool

First Team Breakthrough
    For years my friend(Aberdeen fan) would keep telling me it's all about the result but I genuinely hope I don't watch Hibs playing week in week out like a McInnes team. Some of our recent performances have been bad enough! I go to ER to support my team but want to be entertained as well as hoping to win. If we create lots of chances and win/lose or draw, I'm fine with that..romantic notion or stupid to some.

For years my friend(Aberdeen fan) would keep telling me it's all about the result but I genuinely hope I don't watch Hibs playing week in week out like a McInnes team. Some of our recent performances have been bad enough! I go to ER to support my team but want to be entertained as well as hoping to win. If we create lots of chances and win/lose or draw, I'm fine with that..romantic notion or stupid to some.
    Each to their own bud, id rather just get a result, preferably a win

First Team Breakthrough
    The hope is Doig can create goals from the left and Boyle on the right. As the old adage says you are not defending whilst you're attacking.

First Team Breakthrough
    I'm greedy..I want to win and play good football.

@hibs.net private member
    I'm greedy..I want to win and play good football.
    I think we all think that but I'm in the entertainment camp too. There should be a happy medium and I'm not sure we are at that point was Ross. He has done very well with results although they have tapered off a bit but the performances have been workmanlike and pragmatic for the most part. I have no issue with that at the moment as we have had no fans for most games and he has earnt some time but I do want to see a more expansive, faster game with player who will press the opposition and get the crowd going with their endeavour. The 5-5 game might be a one off but it is a great example. It was tactically disastrous in so many ways but is one of the favourite games I have been at because it was pure football with both teams trying to score more than the other.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    And reminiscing of the Mowbray glory days when we go from 4-1 to 4-4 etc.
    Oh for the excitement of those days. Swashbuckling football at it’s best.

I’d genuinely take that again any day of the week.

And for balance, Mowbray’s team choked at Hampden as well to be fair. Still not over that!

Left by mutual consent!
    I think I'd prefer to watch a team that is more in the spirit of the Hibs DNA.

This turgid team just now has a 52.5% point running rate at home and doesn't have a great record in the bigger games.

I'd like to see us come out the traps flying and having a go at teams within the first 30mins.

Now that fans are back at games I get the sense that the style of football and manner of the performances might end up being Jack Ross' undoing in the eyes of the fans if this home record continues.
    Last edited by 90274; 20-10-2021 at 07:42 PM.

First Team Breakthrough
    If there was ever a time to try and play fast, attacking football it is now. Rangers and Celtic look rocky and Hearts defence can be breached if focusing on the flanks. Here's hoping when we get closer to full strength we kick on. Tora Tora Tora

Again I wasn't suggesting that we sack Jack Ross or compare him with others but we definitely need to see a bit of urgency and intent from the start of games which might encourage the players and the crowd.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    4th best home record of all time for Hibs managers. Let’s discuss it - it’s excellent.
    He's fourth best yes but he should be higher. Your stat only really highlights how poor we've been previously.

Marked improvement is necessary as investment grows.