hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aberdeen game

@hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree with Bingo on this so think your post is a bit off. It's not so simply about the effort the opposition put in but their style of play. If a team plays a compact formation with a high intensity pressing game we clearly struggle. Evidence supporting that would be games against Hearts, St Johnstone, last game v Dundee Utd (under their new manager).

We are better against more open teams who try to stretch the game or play with a bit less intensity where are ball players in midfield (JDH, Newell, Allan) have a bit more time and space. I think that's why we could beat Dundee Utd regularly last season - they were very open. Motherwell are also fairly open and concentrate more on what they do with the ball rather than stopping the opposition and again we tend to do well against them. Teams also tend to be a bit more open at home which might explain why we are probably better away from home than at ER.

That's not to say we don't have our good days but our midfield don't like being made to run up and down or being put under pressure and other than Magennis our midfield is pretty easily compartmentalised. The 1-3 loss to Hearts was pretty much a blueprint of how to beat us where we got overrun in midfield and Dundee Utd managed to do the same on Saturday.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    These are fair points and I agree with a few of them too. But when it’s claimed as simply as Aberdeen will win on Saturday as long as they are up for it, where as Hibs only win games when the opposition aren’t up for it. Then that is why people are reacting poorly to it (certainly in my case anyway) regardless of what is meant reading between the lines.

FWIW I can’t see Aberdeen employing the same high press style that Dundee Utd had at the weekend. If they do I certainly expect us to be more prepared for it after Saturday.

Like another poster said I think the first goal will be very important in this game, hopefully we have Magennis and McGinn back for the game and we can start making positive momentum in the league again.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey_1875 View Post
    These are fair points and I agree with a few of them too. But when it’s claimed as simply as Aberdeen will win on Saturday as long as they are up for it, where as Hibs only win games when the opposition aren’t up for it. Then that is why people are reacting poorly to it (certainly in my case anyway) regardless of what is meant reading between the lines.

FWIW I can’t see Aberdeen employing the same high press style that Dundee Utd had at the weekend. If they do I certainly expect us to be more prepared for it after Saturday.

Like another poster said I think the first goal will be very important in this game, hopefully we have Magennis and McGinn back for the game and we can start making positive momentum in the league again.
    Certainly agree re Aberdeen. They got off to a good start but never convinced that was going to continue and it was a huge risk removing a proven manager like McInnes to someone untested at this level like Glass. Usually when organised teams open up a bit under a new manager they do well before crashing and burning.

Hibs are certainly capable of getting a result in Aberdeen and I suspect Aberdeen's problems are bigger than our own and I think the match up might just suit us.

Whatever anyone says about Ross, he usually compounds the critics when the knives are out and deserves our backing at this time - even though we are far from the finished article.

We'll bounce back.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Hibs 3/1 to win on Saturday.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post
    Certainly agree re Aberdeen. They got off to a good start but never convinced that was going to continue and it was a huge risk removing a proven manager like McInnes to someone untested at this level like Glass. Usually when organised teams open up a bit under a new manager they do well before crashing and burning.

Hibs are certainly capable of getting a result in Aberdeen and I suspect Aberdeen's problems are bigger than our own and I think the match up might just suit us.

Whatever anyone says about Ross, he usually compounds the critics when the knives are out and deserves our backing at this time - even though we are far from the finished article.

Their problems are: no wins in ten with two draws chucked in there, the rest losses.

Our form over the same period is: 4 wins, 3 draws, 3 losses.

Our form is not great, but it is nowhere near as bad as theirs.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Is there a pub Hibees will go prior to the game? Son heading up for it. Think it may have been Butchers last time

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    Their problems are: no wins in ten with two draws chucked in there, the rest losses.

Our form over the same period is: 4 wins, 3 draws, 3 losses.

Our form is not great, but it is nowhere near as bad as theirs.
    Aberdeen haven't won in 10 games...

Really hope it's not the case but, along come Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Every reason to believe Hibs will be comfortable in this game. Aberdeen very susceptible to a ball over the top and if we deploy Boyle properly he will rip them to shreds.

0-3 to Hibs.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Every reason to believe Hibs will be comfortable in this game. Aberdeen very susceptible to a ball over the top and if we deploy Boyle properly he will rip them to shreds.

0-3 to Hibs.
    0-3? Admire your optimism.

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    £13.99 to watch on Sheep PPV.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    A team in horrid form, badly needing a win and not scoring many goals?

Step up hibs

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    A team in horrid form, badly needing a win and not scoring many goals?

Step up hibs
    Step up Hibs to beat them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Seveno View Post
    £13.99 to watch on Sheep PPV.
    As long as you're in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Step up Hibs to beat them again.
    Fingers crossed but I’ve seen this scenario far too many times

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Well I think Ross is capable of getting the right correction from the players and we'll add to Aberdeen misery.

I'm certainly not giving up hope already as some seem to be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Well I think Ross is capable of getting the right correction from the players and we'll add to Aberdeen misery.

Aye fair enough well done to you. I seem to remember you saying the same kind of thing at half time on Saturday.

So really, it doesn’t matter a **** if some are giving up hope or not. All depends what happens on the pitch.

Ross can be capable, but for this one he needs to be luckier than he was at the weekend with the players returning from injury if he’s to have any chance.

If his team isn’t at least a couple of players different and better, this could be an embarrassment.

Aye fair enough well done to you. I seem to remember you saying the same kind of thing at half time on Saturday.

So really, it doesn’t matter a **** if some are giving up hope or not. All depends what happens on the pitch.
    Correct, because yourself (IIRC) and a few others were giving it "we're never going to win this match". As it turned out you were correct, but I've seen JR's teams doing their Jekyll & Hyde often enough that I don't give up hope - especially only a goal behind at half time.

I just can't relate to a mindset that would see me going through this week convinced that Aberdeen will beat us and saying so every day on here.

Neither have I said that I think we'll win, but I'll always remain hopeful.

And you've seen us beat teams in bad form far, far more.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Ross can be capable, but for this one he needs to be luckier than he was at the weekend with the players returning from injury if he’s to have any chance.

If his team isn’t at least a couple of players different and better, this could be an embarrassment.
    Or we could go and gub them. Or maybe we'll play crap but still scrape a 1-0 win.

I've no idea how the match will pan out, but if I was pessimistic as some I wouldn't even bother watching it.

I will though and I'm looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Hibs 3/1 to win on Saturday.
    Who's that with? The best odds I can find are 2/1.

I'm not much of a gambler and I'd never bet on Hibs to lose anyway but Aberdeen at 13/8 would be tempting if I was a non-Hibs supporting gambler.

Or we could go and gub them. Or maybe we'll play crap but still scrape a 1-0 win.

I've no idea how the match will pan out, but if I was pessimistic as some I wouldn't even bother watching it.

I will though and I'm looking forward to it.
    If we’ve got McGinn and Magennis back then I think I’d be able to look forward to it.

If they’re still missing then it could be ugly again, and back to back poor performances would heap pressure on Ross, especially with Aberdeen having been a bit of a laughing stock so far this season.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post

I'm not much of a gambler and I'd never bet on Hibs to lose anyway but Aberdeen at 13/8 would be tempting if I was a non-Hibs supporting gambler.
    Bet365 had Hibs at 3/1 this afternoon now down to 2/1.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

A couple of us going up on Saturday.

We expect a Hibs win 0-2

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    0-3? Admire your optimism.
    Well why not? They can't keep a clean sheet and we have a decent front 3. Saturday was a blip, not a trend.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

A Hibs Win... and if we do it will obviously be due to Aberdeen being dreadful.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    You won't be too disappointed then if we lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post

For me, Hibs at 3/1 is the bet to betting for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    A Hibs Win... and if we do it will obviously be due to Aberdeen being dreadful.
    I noticed there was a guy on twitter who put JR’s record in the ‘big games’ up.

Here it is:

Jack Ross “big game” record (old firm, hearts, hampden)

20 games
    2 wins

2 x semi final defeats (STJ/HMFC)
    1 x final defeat (STJ)

1PT/21PT v Rangers
    3PT/18PT v Celtic
    4PT/9PT v Hearts

Total= 8PT/48PT

Now what I noted first of all was that Aberdeen are no longer included in the big game discussion, and I am absolutely certain they were last season. This may not have been the case for this particular person who has posted these stats, but generally Aberdeen were seen as a big game.

They have been the third force in Scotland for what? Ten years, at times flirting with second and sort of coming close to winning the league (not really, but statically at times they were close) so they’re certainly a big game. I enjoy beating them more than every other team in scotland except three others.

Anyway, we beat them twice last season and they beat us twice, our two wins being the most recent results. I also know that JR beat them 3-0 at ER pre covid, but got beat 3-1 at pittodrie. So a 50% win ratio for JR in this fixture (I think).

We have the same amount of points as Hearts do vs us in the league, they scored their pen in the semi (which is how I viewed the result, I know others feel differently to me).

For me personally, an away win at DU in a 1/4 is a huge game for hibs, all cup games are. They are especially big when Hearts and the Sheep are out of the competition.

A semi final win over the same opposition, (though it could be any opposition, it would still be a massive game) is a massive game won.

Rangers, IMO people are clouded by our semi recent record vs them. This is a team that had just come out of the worst period in their history, I think it is more sensible to compare our record vs them prior to going bust, the gap is back to that size. That said, our performances vs them have been fairly decent, the refs have defo had their say in the way things have went in recent times.

Again, Celtic have vast resources in comparison to us however, I do feel like we missed a few chances vs them last season and I am interested in how our game will go vs them next week. Hearts were fortunate in getting them at home for the first game of the season but that’s how it goes.

The cup final performance was frankly disgusting and the semi vs St J was a matter of missed chances and ***** defending - less of a none event than the final but hugely disappointing none the less.

A bit of a rant but my tuppence worth on the whole situation.

As for Saturday, it is a huge chance for us to go and get back on track at what is a historically difficult venue for us. A lot will depend on personnel availability but I hope we can get the result, obviously.

The squad depth is a big concern for me, and for the manager I believe, so hopefully this will be addressed in January.

Another 200 tickets to be released for away fans