hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aberdeen game

Aberdeen game

Thoughts? Will we bounce back or will we prove to be the pefect patsies for the beleaguered sheep to get back to winning ways?

I fear the latter. Aberdeen may be on a dreadful run but on the evidence of yesterday's Hibs performance we look like just the tonic they need. I remain stunned by how awful we were.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thoughts? Will we bounce back or will we prove to be the pefect patsies for the beleaguered sheep to get back to winning ways?

I fear the latter. Aberdeen may be on a dreadful run but on the evidence of yesterday's Hibs performance we look like just the tonic they need. I remain stunned by how awful we were.
    If Aberdeen are up for it they’ll win.

If they’re a bit vulnerable and feeling sorry for themselves we have a good chance.

@hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    If Aberdeen are up for it they’ll win.

If they’re a bit vulnerable and feeling sorry for themselves we have a good chance.
    So if we lose then we weren’t up for it and if we win then it’s only because Aberdeen felt sorry for themselves. Perfect.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Our recent form (last 5 games) is the worst in the top six.

Aberdeen have the worst form in the league.

Both of us desperate for a win. I think it will be tight.

Key is McGinn and Magennis being back. If they are I'll be far more confident.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Key is McGinn and Magennis being back. If they are I'll be far more confident.
    Do we know why there was no Paul McGinn yesterday, injury or illness?

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Do we know if they'll be offering a PPV option? Heard they don't?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey_1875 View Post
    So if we lose then we weren’t up for it and if we win then it’s only because Aberdeen felt sorry for themselves. Perfect.
    When teams are up for it against us, we rarely win.

If that’s passed you by over the last year or so then that’s fine, you’ll maybe notice it one day.

Jack Ross has built a really decent squad and in most games that’s enough, when a teams really up for it though we struggle. If you genuinely haven’t noticed that then I find that quite incredible.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    I’ll be pleasantly surprised if we don’t lose.

@hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar

If that’s passed you by over the last year or so then that’s fine, you’ll maybe notice it one day.

Jack Ross has built a really decent squad and in most games that’s enough, when a teams really up for it though we struggle. If you genuinely haven’t noticed that then I find that quite incredible.
    So do they just need to be up for it, or do they have to be really up for it and we don’t win? How do you measure how up for it our opponents are?

It’s not really a case of noticing anything. You’re suggesting all our wins have happened because our opponents haven’t been really up for it. It’s a ridiculous stance.

Despite yesterday, there’s no chance Aberdeen are going to beat us. They are woeful.

Of course, there’s every chance Glass could be out the door before the weekend.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

One bad game doesn't define us.

I will be there, confident we can bounce back. We need to pass the ball through the central midfield to be successful...Nisbet can't play on his own up top...I would start with Gullan and Nisbet...McGinn and MCGennis needed!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Do we know if they'll be offering a PPV option? Heard they don't?
    As far as I'm aware they do.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    As far as I'm aware they do.
    Good stuff. Definitely hope they do. Cheers for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post

I confess that I am a bit worried about this game, Aberdeen are currently on a run of 10 games without a win and have lost their last 5 on the bounce.

It should be a game we're looking forward to with confidence but after yesterday I'm really unsure.

Hopefully Magennis and McGinn can come back in but it is a fixture we traditionally do not do well in, although I realise we won up there last season.

Aberdeen are currently 11/8 to win and if I was a gambler I think that might be tempting.

I really hope Hibs can prove me wrong and pile further pressure onto Aberdeen. I reckon they must be close to getting rid of Stephen Glass and a loss next week may prove to be his final game in charge.

Three points would be very welcome to get yesterday's shambles out of the system.

Before yesterday, I was going up expecting to see us win. Now I'm not so sure. 1st goal the winner probably.

Sounds a really obvious thing to say but it’s a really important game having lost the last two. A blip can’t become anything more than that and with Celtic to follow I think we really need a result up there.

Out of the 5 big clubs in Scotland there is always one in crisis. They cannot all be doing well at the same time.

The Yams were a shambles for the last 4-5 years, Celtic last year and it's now currently Aberdeen. Well, if we lose this one next week and the following week we play Celtic we will take over the mantle of the crisis club, after 3 consecutive defeats.

Do we have the mettle to win next week...after what I saw yesterday, no chance.

The heat is on Ross to get an attacking and strong defensive performance next week.....would snap your hand off for a draw at the moment.

I have serious doubts.

Ah right. So in 50% of games Jack Ross has managed, the opposition just haven't been up for it? Damn. Have you told their chairman this? How exactly can you tell the difference from us playing better than a team, and us only winning because they cant be arsed?

@hibs.net private member
    Two teams that aren’t very good. We’ve been a bit better than them in picking up results, so hopefully we can sneak it.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Ah right. So in 50% of games Jack Ross has managed, the opposition just haven't been up for it? Damn. Have you told their chairman this? How exactly can you tell the difference from us playing better than a team, and us only winning because they cant be arsed?
    No, like I said but you’ve obviously been incapable of reading, we’ve built a better team than most, that’s allowed us to be relatively successful. Ross deserves a lot of credit for that.

If we come up against a team that’s really up for it on the day though then we struggle.

I don’t think there’s any fire in the belly of this Hibs team and we’re easily got at.

@hibs.net private member
    We have previous of helping teams get over scoring droughts, winless runs etc so this, combined with a bad record up there, does not fill me with much confidence!

Coaching Staff
    No, like I said but you’ve obviously been incapable of reading, we’ve built a better team than most, that’s allowed us to be relatively successful. Ross deserves a lot of credit for that.

If we come up against a team that’s really up for it on the day though then we struggle.

I don’t think there’s any fire in the belly of this Hibs team and we’re easily got at.
    Your final paragraph sums up the whole problem with Hibs.

Agree with that last bit. We have better players than the majority of the teams in the league which means we’ve got, and will continue to get, results. I just think we’re content to go through the motions at times. Even, on occasion, when we we’re winning and comfortable we’re happy to just see a game out rather than kick on, go for more goals and enjoy ourselves.

So how do you judge the opposition being up for it? Basically, if they play well? So the opposition playing well makes it harder for us?

Plenty fire in the belly. Just had a nightmare on Saturday, thats it.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    We’ve managed to conjour up the occasional performance such as we saw yesterday under Jack Ross, but have never went into full slump.

Hopefully that continues and we bounce back like we have done before, but there was just something about that yesterday which is ringing the alarm bell for me a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    So how do you judge the opposition being up for it? Basically, if they play well? So the opposition playing well makes it harder for us?

Plenty fire in the belly. Just had a nightmare on Saturday, thats it.
    If a team that we’re better than play much better than us as they play with a much higher energy and tenacity would be my description of it.

Saturday is one example of it but I would also point to the semi finals and finals we lost last year as other examples. We beat Dundee untied but we were much better than them personnel wise and they were in a bad place at the time. Would also point to the derby just before they got relegated.

@hibs.net private member
    I think our biggest problem is injuries. We have a wafer thin squad at the moment.It has led Ross to start picking 11 that are available and throwing them in despite it never looking like a combination that would work. Hopefully we can get Magennis and McGinn back for the trip north. That will give us more strength and energy and give the option of returning to the shape that has worked pretty well.

No idea how anyone could predict how we will play without seeing the team. If it is the same as this week with Allan and Murphy both starting and playing a system that sees Nisbet stood 20 yards away from anyone and massive gaps in midfield with Newell and JDH chasing shadows then I it will be another long trip without reward.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Have AST holder received their tickets yet? My money was taken last week but not received the tickets yet. Wondering if they are keeping them to send out with the Ross County tickets? Not been an issue before but I have not received a couple of things I ordered, in fact I have had no mail in over a week which is unusual given the amount of junk mail I get. Just starting to get worried now.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.