hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Atmosphere

Hibs need to sort this out. FF lower for singing/standing. Older fans like myself will go every week but the young team want/need atmosphere. If the games are as flat as saturday then the younger fans will simply not bother going. Atmosphere is a huge part of football but especially for younger fans. Im afraid since the east became a stand, apart from the odd occasion, sadly its just not the same.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIXIHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hibs need to sort this out. FF lower for singing/standing. Older fans like myself will go every week but the young team want/need atmosphere. If the games are as flat as saturday then the younger fans will simply not bother going. Atmosphere is a huge part of football but especially for younger fans. Im afraid since the east became a stand, apart from the odd occasion, sadly its just not the same.

I remember the terrible atmosphere in the Seated East at the AEK Athens game. Sitting has little to do with it imo, sitting next to your mates definitely does have a factor but the singing section has has a few different positions where they have been allowed a section of the stadium. I get the build it and they may come approach but seating does not necessarily mean no atmosphere. Hampden a week or so back had an amazing atmosphere despite being a terrible stadium. A team getting stuck in and playing to their full potential creates atmosphere not a costly "downgrade" of a part of our stadium at the moment occupied by future supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    I remember the terrible atmosphere in the Seated East at the AEK Athens game. Sitting has little to do with it imo, sitting next to your mates definitely does have a factor but the singing section has has a few different positions where they have been allowed a section of the stadium. I get the build it and they may come approach but seating does not necessarily mean no atmosphere. Hampden a week or so back had an amazing atmosphere despite being a terrible stadium. A team getting stuck in and playing to their full potential creates atmosphere not a costly "downgrade" of a part of our stadium at the moment occupied by future supporters.
    Seating does effect atmosphere. I think nearly everybody stood for the whole athens game. Im not saying seating is necessarily the only problem but you need an area for "singers" to congregate. That was the case for the east before it was changed. Fans who used to be together then got spread around the stadium. Of course you can great atmospheres like hampden last week but that was an exception. Those future supporters you mention are far more likely to come back week after week if there is a better atmosphere. I realise the team plays a huge part in this but saturday was like a morgue. Some fans were getting funny looks coz they dared to stand up and try to encourage the team ffs.

I like my seat in the FF lower. Those getting moved would be moving to not great seats. I sat at the west the corner of the FFL. Dreadful view of the game

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    All this talk of a singing section makes us sound like a nursery school.

Atmosphere was always better before we had such a thing.

We need to scrap the family section too.

Despite folk on here saying it's popular, hardly anyone sits there. I took a few pics of it on Saturday and can hardly see any kids there at all. It's being abused by way too many folk.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    Dare I suggest that the drumming isn't conducive to getting people to start songs or chanting?
    Glad someone else has written this, because that was one of my early observations on Saturday. As soon as the initial cheering at kick-off died away, the two things I noticed was the singing from the away fans and the banging of the drum to a beat that I did not recognise, with no singing audible where I was sitting.

I've said this before and I say it again, there are some songs that are football anthems that fans will belt out and there are others that whilst popular songs don't get fans singing to the same intensity.

The Hanlon "Two nil down at Tiny" song, MB "Starman" song etc are all great songs, popular at away games, but get lost at ER. What's needed is the singing of the basic anthem type songs / chant that everyone knows and the sound reverberates around the stadium. The "Super John McGinn" song is an anthem type song, that most join in and the noise levels increase. "We are Hibernian FC" is another. The "Micky Weir" song was another. These don't need a drum to start the singing!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIXIHIBS View Post
    Seating does effect atmosphere. I think nearly everybody stood for the whole athens game. Im not saying seating is necessarily the only problem but you need an area for "singers" to congregate. That was the case for the east before it was changed. Fans who used to be together then got spread around the stadium. Of course you can great atmospheres like hampden last week but that was an exception. Those future supporters you mention are far more likely to come back week after week if there is a better atmosphere. I realise the team plays a huge part in this but saturday was like a morgue. Some fans were getting funny looks coz they dared to stand up and try to encourage the team ffs.
    You could stand now just as we did at Hampden and nearly always do at Tiny and other away games. The Wotherspoon game was a great atmosphere from what I remember. I sit right opposite where the Singing Section is. They were quiet on Saturday, don't blame them. The Utd fans, around 6-700 I would guess were loud the whole game. They were seated behind the goals and no doubt were sitting next to supporters who they didn't know. If the singing section want it to be louder then they should sing up. If they want the rest of the crowd to join in then they have to know the words. Away fans will as there is usually a good atmosphere when travelling and if you go regularly you will pick up the songs. There is nothing stopping ER from having a great atmosphere now, it has on lots of occasions.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Antifa Hibs View Post
    We've been having these threads every season since the old East was flattened and will be having them until Hibs actively sort out the situation.

The situation is pretty ridiculous just now. We've got the singing section stood with the drum numbering about 30-50 in block 45. Then the whole of block 44 sitting. Then you've got a mish-mash of sitting and standing in rear quarter of 43. Its unworkable until the club sort it out, some people will be pissed off about having to move but hey ho they'll get over it. Trial FF lower, commit to East upper, whatever - just commit to a proper singing/standing section.
    Good post mate. I agree

Let's be honest here, a major part of the issue is we simply aren't a very vocal home crowd these days. Very few Scottish crowds are.

I think making the FF lower standing has the potential to make a bit of a difference, but if people are expecting a huge difference in atmosphere at a run of the mill game they are going to be disappointed.

First Team Regular OstKurve Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weegreenman View Post
    I’ve been to quite a few stadiums all over Europe were the supporters are loud and still bouncing whether they are winning or losing.

I agree the team needs to do better but we as supporters can do better and it starts by having a whole stand that everyone knows as our singing section.
    This in a nutshell, they also dont leave at half time or 15 mins b4 the end en masse

Quote Originally Posted by OstKurve Hibs View Post
    This in a nutshell, they also dont leave at half time or 15 mins b4 the end en masse
    That's not unique to Hibs within Scottish football though.

Scottish fans are generally pretty crap if we are being totally honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    I think we will find that a lot of people will have fallen out of the habit and it will be a while before they get back into it.
    Got to agree, I am one of those you describe and feel no desire to return. Wasn't enjoying what I was watching pre-Covid and certainly haven't from watching on TV. The pandemic made the decision for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post

I think you’re right that Scottish football fans are generally pretty dire - which maybe comes from it being such an imbalanced league.

Have to say though - I genuinely do not see the same level of mass clearances in other grounds that you do at ER when we lose a goal or are a couple of goals behind with 15-20 mins left.

It’s everyone’s choice in terms of what you want to do on a Saturday but crowds sticking with a team can make a big difference. Don’t think watching most of the crowd leave with plenty time left is going to help inspire strong finishes to a game.

Before Saturday things seems reasonably good …what exactly will it take to motivate our fans to turn up and then back the team?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post

Apart from turning up to watch their team, they are pretty much the best in the world per capita for that.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post

Have to say though - I genuinely do not see the same level of mass clearances in other grounds that you do at ER when we lose a goal or are a couple of goals behind with 15-20 mins left.
    There is a mass clear out at Ibrox around that time when they are winning! Most grounds empty when the result is beyond doubt, as it was on Saturday. When the team totally capitulates the fans typically do too. We are no better or worse than most fans in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This is ultimately what needs to happen imo. Can be moved to the east where lots of the young lads currently are and it would look phenomenal on tv.
    Agree.... you really do need to crack a few eggs to make an omelette. There will be a few fans not happy but at the end of the day we need an atmosphere at home games and this would certainly help..

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Apart from turning up to watch their team, they are pretty much the best in the world per capita for that.
    The thread is about atmosphere not attendance.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Ach ..... don't even have to read the thread. Until the 'singing' section become a safe standing area in the FF lower we will constantly see threads like this one, how many has there been over the last 20 years?

It's at the back of the East .... can hardly hear them, outsung by the tiny away support.

It's at the front of the East .... can hardly hear them, outsung by the tiny away support.

It's at the top corner of the FF upper .... cant see them, cant hear them, outsung by the tiny away support.

It's in the far corner of the East ,,, cant hear them, outsung by the tiny away support ... I acknowledge, decent United support on Saturday for once, so not tiny.

To say the singing section is so small it will never fill the FF lower as a standing section is nonsense .... the only thing that's going to encourage folk to become part of it and see it grow is to move it to a standing area compromising the whole of the FF lower where folk will want to be part of it. Move them there, make it standing and watch it grow and grow.

Quite disheartening to see some of the responses.

People saying its the teams performance that dictates atmosphere - well thats only part of the reason and its also largely uncontrollable.

One thing that is is controllable is where the signing section is located to give the best possible chance for a relatively small amount of fans to be vocally and visually buoyant and help create that atmosphere when the team needs it.

Easter Road can be an uninspiring place when things are not going well and there are loads of empty seats, particularly behind the goal. Its largely accepted by neutrals that, despite it being basic, Tynecastle is the best stadium in Scotland for generating atmosphere. I don't know why we wouldnt want to try something different to improve things at ER.

Quote Originally Posted by LoaningCrHibbie View Post
    Well said ! That is were the singing section should be, it's obvious. I also agree with your comment on that is were any safe standing should be. It would surely help the atmosphere at Easter Road ?
    Of course it would. Deep down everyone on here knows it too.
    In the championship days sides like Greenock bloody Morton would turn up with about 200 fans and make a racket.
    Where the fans are stood singing is all important these days. We did away with the only stand with any acoustics when we tore down the old east.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    In the championship days sides like Greenock bloody Morton would turn up with about 200 fans and make a racket.
    Where the fans are stood singing is all important these days. We did away with the only stand with any acoustics when we tore down the old east.
    That's not the case. The old East was noisy when you were in the old East. If you were sitting in the West the noise coming from the other side of the ground wasn't that loud.

If that's true, then how come the fans in the away end were so loud on Saturday?

I'm not quite sure where people get the idea from that we used to have an amazing atmosphere and that's suddenly disappeared, as the atmosphere at most games against the smaller sides has mostly been poor for the last 40 years that I know of.

The truth is that the majority of fans that attend home games rarely get involved in the singing, unless it's against the OF or their local rivals. That's true of all clubs, not just Hibs.

The young guys in Section 45 are at least making an effort and I definitely applaud them for that. I personally think there would be games with a bit if a flat atmosphere no matter what part of the stadium they're in, especially if we play as badly as Saturday.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    If that's true, then how come the fans in the away end were so loud on Saturday?

I'm not quite sure where people get the idea from that we used to have an amazing atmosphere and that's suddenly disappeared, as the atmosphere at most games against the smaller sides has mostly been poor for the last 40 years that I know of.

The truth is that the majority of fans that attend home games rarely get involved in the singing, unless it's against the OF or their local rivals. That's true of all clubs, not just Hibs.

The young guys in Section 45 are at least making an effort and I definitely applaud them for that. I personally think there would be games with a bit if a flat atmosphere no matter what part of the stadium they're in, especially if we play as badly as Saturday.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post

Run of the mill league games have always been quite flat, agree with that.

Saturday felt a bit different though. This is a Hibs team that is meant to be doing well though. The place is empty and there was just no buzz about the place at the weekend.

I do think it’s time that they tried something different and moved the family section. The Famous Five lower wasn’t even at 50% capacity on Saturday.

If Ron gets his way and gets booze back in the stadium it'll help the atmosphere a bit. A few that might not have gone to the pub before kick off will have a drink or 2 at the stadium and those who go to the pub before can top themselves up at half time and be in the mood for a wee sing song in the 2nd half.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post

Saturday felt a bit different though. This is a Hibs team that is meant to be doing well though. The place is empty and there was just no buzz about the place at the weekend.

I do think it’s time that they tried something different and moved the family section. The Famous Five lower wasn’t even at 50% capacity on Saturday.
    I'm not even sure many families are all that attracted to the FF lower these days.

I've started taking my 4 year old this year and we sit in the FF Upper. There are loads of kids around us and I don't think the kids tickets up there are that much more than the family section. I started going to games sitting on the benches in the old cowshed. Then I sat in the FF lower when it was built. The thought of moving back there even now I have a child of my own never even crossed my mind.

I get it's not nice for people to be forcibly moved from their seat but it happened to me when we got tossed out of section 25 with no consultation from the club. They weren't prime seats but it was a good group and I was sad to move. I survived though and like where I sit now, I'm sure others would cope if they had to move to try something different as well.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I'm not even sure many families are all that attracted to the FF lower these days.

I've started taking my 4 year old this year and we sit in the FF Upper. There are loads of kids around us and I don't think the kids tickets up there are that much more than the family section. I started going to games sitting on the benches in the old cowshed. Then I sat in the FF lower when it was built. The thought of moving back there even now I have a child of my own never even crossed my mind.

I get it's not nice for people to be forcibly moved from their seat but it happened to me when we got tossed out of section 25 with no consultation from the club. They weren't prime seats but it was a good group and I was sad to move. I survived though and like where I sit now, I'm sure others would cope if they had to move to try something different as well.
    I think they could quite easily create a family section elsewhere, be it the end of the east or whatever. Or alternatively, they just do away with a family section. I sit in the middle of the East and there are plenty bairns in there.

I think there are bigger reasons than where a singing section is located behind the lack of atmosphere but, equally, I like the idea of trying to do something with the FF lower.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post

👍

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

The old East sounded good if you were in it. All the rest of the stadium heard was a muffled, incomprehensible cacophony, as the sound bounced around inside it.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Atmosphere isn't just about singing.

Where's the collective cheers, groans and shouts at incidents throughout the games? Used to happen all the time, now, not so much.

Sometimes there's a cracking atmosphere in the ground without songs. It's raw passion coming through from loads of people shouting or gasping for breath as a shot goes wide etc.

I know I shouldn't mention it, but under Lennon, ER was buzzing most weeks. Even walking into or out of the stadium there was a feeling of excitement. (this isn't having a go at JR before you jump on me!).

If there's stuff to shout about on the pitch, we'll shout about it. Same as most fans everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Atmosphere isn't just about singing.

Where's the collective cheers, groans and shouts at incidents throughout the games? Used to happen all the time, now, not so much.

Sometimes there's a cracking atmosphere in the ground without songs. It's raw passion coming through from loads of people shouting or gasping for breath as a shot goes wide etc.

I know I shouldn't mention it, but under Lennon, ER was buzzing most weeks. Even walking into or out of the stadium there was a feeling of excitement. (this isn't having a go at JR before you jump on me!).

If there's stuff to shout about on the pitch, we'll shout about it. Same as most fans everywhere.
    It's an interesting point.

What was the game with the horrendous ref at ER this year? Was it St Mirren? That certainly got the fans going. Not so much singing but the collective abuse of the ref generated plenty noise.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years