hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Atmosphere

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The solution is a football team that don’t send you to sleep.

The singing section is just fine where it is but the fans had zero effort to back yesterday.

You can’t expect a good atmosphere or fans willing their team on when in the mangers words the players are simply ‘lazy’.

I know it’s a bit chicken and egg when it comes to fans backing the players and players giving the fans something to back. But when the performance on the pitch is so flat then what chance does anyone have in creating an atmosphere.

I’m 100% sure that if the players start giving the fans a few morsels then the atmosphere will be absolutely fine.
    So true. The last time the ground was consistently bouncing was in the 2nd half of 17-18. It's going to take a massive transformation to get that back again. It's all fine talking about the fans creating an atmosphere but whether you like or or not it is down to the players.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I think it's an exaggeration to say that no games at ER have had a good atmosphere this season. It was decent enough, for instance, when we played Livi and Ross County... games where there's not exactly a history of an amazing atmosphere. Late on against St Johnstone was OK as well, I thought, after we scored.

The guys in Section 45 have worked really hard to create a decent atmosphere and sometimes it's paid off and others it hasn't, as it all depends how willing the other Fans are to join in, which doesn't seem to the case when we're not playing well, or we're losing.

You can hear the young guys in the Singing Section loud and clear from the far end of the ground, so their location doesn't seem to be the biggest issue.

It's always dead at games v anyone bar Hearts, Rangers, Celtic and sometimes Aberdeen.

Yesterday was particularly flat though. There wasn't much to get excited about but the fans were pretty quick to turn. I've said elsewhere why I think that is so it's not worth repeating again.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Dare I suggest that the drumming isn't conducive to getting people to start songs or chanting?

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Vitesse fans made so much atmosphere at NEC today that they broke a stand

https://twitter.com/FootballlForAll/...61576056238087

Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post

https://twitter.com/FootballlForAll/status/1449761576056238087?s=20

Jeezo

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Most of us in there hadn't seen us lose a game in-person for over a year and a half. I think we were just stunned tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    Dare I suggest that the drumming isn't conducive to getting people to start songs or chanting?
    Sounded like someone randomly kicking a cardboard box

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

I'm amazed no one seems to be injured there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    It's always dead at games v anyone bar Hearts, Rangers, Celtic and sometimes Aberdeen.

Yesterday was particularly flat though. There wasn't much to get excited about but the fans were pretty quick to turn. I've said elsewhere why I think that is so it's not worth repeating again.
    Agreed, but it's good at most away games though against the other teams.

Some of that down to bevvy before the game, but it def helps fans being closer together in a smaller stand, usually behind the goal.

Kept seeing people saying the singing section should move back to the east so the whole East joins in rather than just one corner of the f5. Now the section has moved back the East is still quiet apart from the group in the corner trying their best

Too many "cucumber sandwich" attitude fur coat & no knickers attending games. Admittedly I sit in ff lower, & usually join in with most of the chants/ songs, however. ....those around me look at me as though I have two heads tut tutting.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    I'm amazed no one seems to be injured there.

Wow! A seconds pause, and then on with the party!

Seriously hope everyone is ok.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Franck Stanton View Post
    Too many "cucumber sandwich" attitude fur coat & no knickers attending games. Admittedly I sit in ff lower, & usually join in with most of the chants/ songs, however. ....those around me look at me as though I have two heads tut tutting.
    What a load of nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Franck Stanton View Post
    ... Admittedly I sit in ff lower, & usually join in with most of the chants/ songs, however. ....those around me look at me as though I have two heads tut tutting.

I'm the same and I think that's the biggest problem. People often join in the clapping but that's about it.

I've had season tickets in different parts of the stadium and experienced pretty much the same thing.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 17-10-2021 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    What a load of nonsense.
    Yeah there were no cucumber sandwiches in the West upper, was most dissapointed that I had to put up with the afternoon tea without them, at least the scones have improved but there was no clotted cream...have written my letter of complaint to Ron.

The solution is obvious I think - lower section of the famous five should be turned into the singing section, directly behind the goal. Longer term it should be safe standing.
    Well said ! That is were the singing section should be, it's obvious. I also agree with your comment on that is were any safe standing should be. It would surely help the atmosphere at Easter Road ?
    Last edited by LoaningCrHibbie; 17-10-2021 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LoaningCrHibbie View Post
    Well said ! That is were the singing section should be, it's obvious. I also agree with your comment on that is were any safe standing should be. It would surely help the atmosphere at Easter Road ?
    When I win tbe euromillions I'll make sure it happens

Atmosphere is set by the tempo of the players on the pitch

No coincidence under Ross we have seen very flat home atmospheres this season even after a year of non attending

You can’t rely on games under the lights all the time

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    I agree, it's just coming over as some guy battering a drum as hard as he can. Found it quite irritating yesterday - but then everything was pissing me off.

Time to put the singing section to bed and forget about moving them all around the ground every couple of seasons.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Every clubs the same - home games a bit sterile on atmosphere front but away games are always buzzing. Dundee Utd fans yesterday was a case in point - away end rocking but Tannadice like a library.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Every clubs the same - home games a bit sterile on atmosphere front but away games are always buzzing. Dundee Utd fans yesterday was a case in point - away end rocking but Tannadice like a library.
    I thought yesterday was a bit different to just lacking in atmosphere. There was a total lack of buzz about the place, before a ball was even kicked. And the crowd weren’t slow in turning on them either. It’s not a particularly joyful place these days IMO.

@hibs.net private member

Every time I'm at Tiny I feel this is going to happen. Glad it appears no-one was hurt.

In terms of atmosphere moving the singing section will make no difference. There is only a few hundred of them from what I can see and they are like most fans. When the game lacks energy so do they. We now have a big gap at the top right of the FF as they have moved if you are interested in the aesthetics of the crowd. In the smaller cup games the singing section doesn't even appear to bother attending. Well done to anyone who creates an atmosphere at ER but the singing section are just supporters like the rest of us and should have to buy their ST and wait for seats to become available like the rest of us.

I agree with a few posters here. The low energy, pragmatic football is the big reason there isn't much of an atmosphere at ER. When we get players back from injury I think the atmosphere will improve, as will our results and our style of play.

Ach ..... don't even have to read the thread. Until the 'singing' section become a safe standing area in the FF lower we will constantly see threads like this one, how many has there been over the last 20 years?

It's at the back of the East .... can hardly hear them, outsung by the tiny away support.

It's at the front of the East .... can hardly hear them, outsung by the tiny away support.

It's at the top corner of the FF upper .... cant see them, cant hear them, outsung by the tiny away support.

It's in the far corner of the East ,,, cant hear them, outsung by the tiny away support ... I acknowledge, decent United support on Saturday for once, so not tiny.

To say the singing section is so small it will never fill the FF lower as a standing section is nonsense .... the only thing that's going to encourage folk to become part of it and see it grow is to move it to a standing area compromising the whole of the FF lower where folk will want to be part of it. Move them there, make it standing and watch it grow and grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    What a load of nonsense.
    Oh really.

First Team Breakthrough
    I hope the present apathy is not coming from the management team.I have hopes for Jack Ross but Saturday looked that there were too many aspects of our play that was wrong.Speed of play ,reactions to balls in their box and ours.Murphy & Boyle were the only 2 that were up to speed.we missed out our centre midfield the whole game giving Utd the centre of the pitch to control the game.We had at least 10 set plays where we did not attack at all just ball watched.The passing along the back line shows lack of ideas and slows us right down. Continually going down the lines has proved fruitless the majority of times as our crossing and delivery is of amateur standard and not hitting our Players. Cmon Jack a lot of our failings are basics .

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    The solution is a football team that don’t send you to sleep.

The singing section is just fine where it is but the fans had zero effort to back yesterday.

You can’t expect a good atmosphere or fans willing their team on when in the mangers words the players are simply ‘lazy’.

I know it’s a bit chicken and egg when it comes to fans backing the players and players giving the fans something to back. But when the performance on the pitch is so flat then what chance does anyone have in creating an atmosphere.

I’m 100% sure that if the players start giving the fans a few morsels then the atmosphere will be absolutely fine.
    Totally agree a performance when we are taking the initiative from the off at home is going to generate an atmosphere. Both St Mirren and United have been the same in the first half waiting on something happening and no real intensity pressure or efforts at goal. How many efforts on goal have we had in the first half of these games? Both we have been passive and lost a goal just before half time then immediately change it with a half time sub.

Left by mutual consent!
    The elephant in the room is pricing. It costs far too much to attend games like Dundee United (H) at Easter Road nowadays. Inevitably, this prices out the kind of fans who are more likely to be boisterous and wanting to be up on their feet for 90 minutes singing, whilst those (normally a bit older and with more disposable income) who prefer to sit and watch the game will still keep coming. I have nothing against fans who prefer to sit and watch the game nowadays by the way, I’m sure when they were young they did their stints standing on the terraces shouting and bawling, and they should be accommodated at Easter Road too. But the pricing structure at Hibs means that unless you can commit towards a season ticket, walk-up costs are ridiculously high. This undoubtedly is to the detriment of the atmosphere, as it will mostly be the younger fans who are less likely to be able to commit towards getting a season ticket at a semi-reasonable price, and it is something that urgently needs addressed
    Last edited by ABZHFC; 18-10-2021 at 09:48 AM.

I may get pelters but here goes anyway

We are quick to criticise Jack Ross, Ron Gordon, the players and everyone else but we as fans also have a responsibility to lift the players when it is not going to plan, it is easy to support victories or great play, but that is not when a support is needed. You need the support when it's difficult , to lift the heads, to dig deep, we also let the team down on Saturday.

I was there and am guilty as found it hard to raise my spirits but once home, and analysed the atmosphere it was quiet and boring and agree the performance did not inspire me, but thats when we should dig in and change it.

my opinion as a loyal hibs fan, sorry if others disagree

We've been having these threads every season since the old East was flattened and will be having them until Hibs actively sort out the situation.

The situation is pretty ridiculous just now. We've got the singing section stood with the drum numbering about 30-50 in block 45. Then the whole of block 44 sitting. Then you've got a mish-mash of sitting and standing in rear quarter of 43. Its unworkable until the club sort it out, some people will be pissed off about having to move but hey ho they'll get over it. Trial FF lower, commit to East upper, whatever - just commit to a proper singing/standing section.