hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Atmosphere

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's an interesting point.

What was the game with the horrendous ref at ER this year? Was it St Mirren? That certainly got the fans going. Not so much singing but the collective abuse of the ref generated plenty noise.
    St Johnstone which to be fair wasn't that bad an atmosphere if I remember correctly.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
    St Johnstone which to be fair wasn't that bad an atmosphere if I remember correctly.
    St Johnstone was decent enough actually. Even a wee bit west upper participation.

Expected Saturday to be a lot more lively, especially to combat the noise the Utd fans were making, which was really impressive so fair play to them. But with how poorly we played I wasn't surprised with how flat the fans were. Seemed like we were all shocked at how weak a performance we put in.

Hooefully be rocking next Wednesday for the other uglies though.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Atmosphere isn't just about singing.

Where's the collective cheers, groans and shouts at incidents throughout the games? Used to happen all the time, now, not so much.

Sometimes there's a cracking atmosphere in the ground without songs. It's raw passion coming through from loads of people shouting or gasping for breath as a shot goes wide etc.

I know I shouldn't mention it, but under Lennon, ER was buzzing most weeks. Even walking into or out of the stadium there was a feeling of excitement. (this isn't having a go at JR before you jump on me!).

If there's stuff to shout about on the pitch, we'll shout about it. Same as most fans everywhere.
    That is a great point although it wasn't buzzing when we were in freefall and in some games not any better than Saturday. The atmosphere was very poor in that respect at the weekend but as the players weren't breathing that hard most of the fans probably couldn't be bothered either.

I don't think the singing section moving yet again would make the blindest bit of difference to the atmosphere for the ground as a whole. It may cost a few players wages for a season or two which could hurt the atmosphere further. Those in it might enjoy it but I doubt that many would gravitate to one of the worst views in the ground, where they don't get a seat and miles away from the away support.

In reply to other posters the emptiest part of the FF wasn't the lower section but the upper right part which the signing section vacated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post

That's definitely what's missing, bad Referees

I find the fan culture difference between Scottish fans and European fans very interesting.

Evidently, with the push for safe standing, the displays, the marches, there is a drive from the likes of Since 1875, the Green Brigade, Motherwell boys etc to appear and model themselves after European Ultras.

What all the fan groups in Scotland are incapable of doing seemingly is continuing to cheer and boisterously support their team when the going gets tough. Lots of European Ultras keep supporting the team loudly, regardless of whether the team is putting on a horrific display. Since 1875 had packed up and gone, like many of us as soon as the 3rd goal went in.

I can’t stop thinking of Dortmund fans bouncing after getting beat 0-3 by Bayern at the Signa Iduna https://youtu.be/kUrtWli6oWo
    Dortmund won the league the year before that video, so can hardly argue it’s just down to them being used to routine thrashings from Bayern. It’s just how these groups support their teams - non stop in the stadium.

I’m unsure if it’s something in our footballing culture, because I couldn’t personally belt out a song to support a team putting in a gutless, shambolic performance, and I doubt rowdy, noisey Hibs fans would have helped turn around our shambolic display on Saturday.

I just find the difference intriguing, and if our singing section really want to be like their European counterparts, they should try and not succumb to the collective despair the rest of us do.

First Team Breakthrough
    I think as a support we are as passionate as others but we tent to ask for at least what looks like effort ,good football,attacking prowess and ultimately a good result.We as fans rightly expect to be entertained and
    When we are not we are vocal or demand better which is fair.Sometimes we can let ourselves down by getting personal with certain players which is not acceptable.We as fans have been disappointed in every single way over the years and these scars are thre to see in our support. It's up to the Players, fans machday DJ's to get an atmosphere going it takes everyone as we are a team.Fact

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Football has changed over the years, you rarely get a good thumping tackle, or an up and at them style of play.

What we have now is a game played at walking pace for large parts of the game, and a possession based style that rarely works unless there is a mistake somewhere.

I think this has a big part in folk feeling less enthusiastic these days, and why the need for certain parts of the ground being classed as librarys.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BegbieHSC View Post
    I find the fan culture difference between Scottish fans and European fans very interesting.

Evidently, with the push for safe standing, the displays, the marches, there is a drive from the likes of Since 1875, the Green Brigade, Motherwell boys etc to appear and model themselves after European Ultras.

What all the fan groups in Scotland are incapable of doing seemingly is continuing to cheer and boisterously support their team when the going gets tough. Lots of European Ultras keep supporting the team loudly, regardless of whether the team is putting on a horrific display. Since 1875 had packed up and gone, like many of us as soon as the 3rd goal went in.

I can’t stop thinking of Dortmund fans bouncing after getting beat 0-3 by Bayern at the Signa Iduna https://youtu.be/kUrtWli6oWo
    Dortmund won the league the year before that video, so can hardly argue it’s just down to them being used to routine thrashings from Bayern. It’s just how these groups support their teams - non stop in the stadium.

I’m unsure if it’s something in our footballing culture, because I couldn’t personally belt out a song to support a team putting in a gutless, shambolic performance, and I doubt rowdy, noisey Hibs fans would have helped turn around our shambolic display on Saturday.

I just find the difference intriguing, and if our singing section really want to be like their European counterparts, they should try and not succumb to the collective despair the rest of us do.
    I’ve seen criticism on here of the Tartan Army for continuing to sing, dance and enjoy ourselves despite the result on our trips.

I’ve no real interest in singing anymore and happy to sit there until it’s time to fold and put away my tartan blanket. I’ve no real gripes with the atmosphere. If folk want to sing great, if folk don’t want to that’s fine too and they can have one of my worthers originals. I’d not have a problem with an ultras style atmosphere where they sing and drum all game regardless of what’s going on, other than it feeling a little forced IMO. I do think that events on the park are the biggest driver for atmosphere as others have said.

'S' Form
    Don’t post here often cause feel like a lot can turn into a bunfight but here.

The atmosphere at Easter Road is very poor. In my opinion this is for a fair few reasons.

First is we simply don’t play exciting football, in fact we kind of mirror what teams did to us in previous seasons 15/16/17 where we sit down and time waste once in the lead.

The second is the singing section have been chucked about the stadium and really need to be somewhere in S43 or right behind the goals in the FF (I know this opens a can of worms) I honestly think safe standing in the lower FF would be incredible and I would move there if it was implemented.

The third thing is the pre match music and build up kills any potential atmosphere stone dead. That and now the advertisements every few minutes which drowns out anything from the home support at the moment. (This isn’t to slate the announcer he’s great at beg engaged with the support I just think pre match can be a lot softer)

There’s probably a few more things that escape me right now but I agree that many are priced out of the games/season tickets. This is another reason I hope safe standing is implemented, may have an area of reduced prices.

Please feel free to tell me I’m talking guff

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    If Ron gets his way and gets booze back in the stadium it'll help the atmosphere a bit. A few that might not have gone to the pub before kick off will have a drink or 2 at the stadium and those who go to the pub before can top themselves up at half time and be in the mood for a wee sing song in the 2nd half.

Get everybody p1ssed, sounds like a plan to me

I may have mentioned this once or fifty times before but, I still think they should introduce cheerleaders as well

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    I remember the terrible atmosphere in the Seated East at the AEK Athens game. Sitting has little to do with it imo, sitting next to your mates definitely does have a factor but the singing section has has a few different positions where they have been allowed a section of the stadium. I get the build it and they may come approach but seating does not necessarily mean no atmosphere. Hampden a week or so back had an amazing atmosphere despite being a terrible stadium. A team getting stuck in and playing to their full potential creates atmosphere not a costly "downgrade" of a part of our stadium at the moment occupied by future supporters.
    The fact the only memorable game for atmosphere thats constantly brought up here and amongst Hibs fans was 20 years ago surely proves how bad things are!?

And i don't get the downgrading part? The Aberdeen red shed is still an all seater stand but designated as a standing area. The Broamloan lower is all seated yet has 4000 stood every game....
    Last edited by Antifa Hibs; 20-10-2021 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    If that's true, then how come the fans in the away end were so loud on Saturday?

I'm not quite sure where people get the idea from that we used to have an amazing atmosphere and that's suddenly disappeared, as the atmosphere at most games against the smaller sides has mostly been poor for the last 40 years that I know of.

The truth is that the majority of fans that attend home games rarely get involved in the singing, unless it's against the OF or their local rivals. That's true of all clubs, not just Hibs.

The young guys in Section 45 are at least making an effort and I definitely applaud them for that. I personally think there would be games with a bit if a flat atmosphere no matter what part of the stadium they're in, especially if we play as badly as Saturday.
    Thats true for most home games on the planet including countries like Italy and Germany. However most clubs have common sense to put singers and standers alike in one section to increase and maximise the atmosphere.

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    I think a dedicated standing / singing section would definitely help.

Condense the FF lower to the 1st 3 sections from the main stand and use the 2 sections nearest the East for singing / standing and watch this area grow.

Something positive will come of this.

I was just reading a press release from Aberdeen where they said that on average, 35% of Season Tickets holders are missing at home games.

I'd be interested to know what the equivalent is at ER as the stadium often looks a lot more empty than the announced attendance would suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Antifa Hibs View Post
    Thats true for most home games on the planet including countries like Italy and Germany. However most clubs have common sense to put singers and standers alike in one section to increase and maximise the atmosphere.

Agreed, let's make it Section 43.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    I was just reading a press release from Aberdeen where they said that on average, 35% of Season Tickets holders are missing at home games.

I'd be interested to know what the equivalent is at ER as the stadium often looks a lot more empty than the announced attendance would suggest.
    Must surely be about the same at ER? I’d be very surprised if there was as many as 10,000 there on Saturday.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    Must surely be about the same at ER? I’d be very surprised if there was as many as 10,000 there on Saturday.
    Not only are there less season ticket holders turning up there is less walk up fans buying tickets, we’ve not come anywhere near selling out a home game at ER this season, and that’s just our ends, we’ve had over spill into the away plenty times in the recent past. I suppose this will remain the case whilst people can tune in from home and/or walk up fans can watch through PPV, I see the club are advertising that for next weeks game.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    Not only are there less season ticket holders turning up there is less walk up fans buying tickets, we’ve not come anywhere near selling out a home game at ER this season, and that’s just our ends, we’ve had over spill into the away plenty times in the recent past. I suppose this will remain the case whilst people can tune in from home and/or walk up fans can watch through PPV, I see the club are advertising that for next weeks game.
    Because our chairman has made it the best part of £30 a game.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    That’s my standpoint, I will have to plan trips to games and probably won’t bother when it’s the old firm.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    Not necessarily his decision unless you know otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by BegbieHSC View Post

The main difference is fans in Europe go to games to support and get behind the team first and foremost whereas fans in Scotland go to watch a game of football. It's 100% a mentality thing.

How many folk on here moan about the atmosphere being poor but do nothing at the game to make it any better? Go up and sit with the section and help them make more noise and grow to improve the atmosphere. The view from the sides of the East further back are fine so that's not an excuse

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Brondby fans look tremendous packed into that corner at Ibrox.

That's what we need to visualise for the Famous five signing/standing section