hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Atmosphere

Atmosphere

Firstly, yes I know the performance yesterday had a big impact on the atmosphere, especially in second half. However, I’ve noticed recently and even still at 0-0 that there wasn’t much atmosphere. There’s been a lot of talk recently about improving the match day experience, but for me and I’m sue many others, a good atmosphere is part of that, even if the game itself is dull or really poor like yesterday. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can improve this (other then the team playing better of course)? I remember even 2 or three years ago the ground was far livelier, especially in the east stand. Things like safe standing and a potential move of the signing section to FFL would help but that likely won’t happen until next season at the earliest.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    I personally think the general atmosphere has regressed since the singing section moved back to the East.

If anyone can point out a game that has had a good atmosphere since the move I will happily stand corrected.

I thought the atmosphere from the guys in the South Stand was pretty impressive.

In the first half, the young guys in the corner of the East Stand were good, as they always are. But as soon as United scored, the home support just went quiet, which was a shame

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I personally think the general atmosphere has regressed since the singing section moved back to the East.

If anyone can point out a game that has had a good atmosphere since the move I will happily stand corrected.
    If it has, I don't think it has anything to do with the singing section. So far generally we've had smaller crowds than pre -covid, yesterday was the biggest away crowd (and we were dismal, singing section were good to start with but the team didn't give us much to cheer/sing about) and don't think we've played particularly well at home yet other than the 1st half against Ross County (might be forgetting another time).

There was no buzz about the place even before a ball was kicked yesterday. I don’t think it’s anything to do with who sits where etc, it’s just that a lot of folk don’t particularly feel excited by this team. Which is also the main reason there’s so many empty seats IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    There was no buzz about the place even before a ball was kicked yesterday. I don’t think it’s anything to do with who sits where etc, it’s just that a lot of folk don’t particularly feel excited by this team. Which is also the main reason there’s so many empty seats IMO.
    That’s what I think too. Boyle is the only player that I feel can get me off my seat. Boring days.

Left by mutual consent!
    Easter Road is like a library these days. Anyone who denies this is simply kidding themselves on and are doing the club no favours.

We need some radical changes for the better. If people have to be moved, so be it. Something needs to give.
    Last edited by Weegreenman; 17-10-2021 at 02:54 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    If it has, I don't think it has anything to do with the singing section. So far generally we've had smaller crowds than pre -covid, yesterday was the biggest away crowd (and we were dismal, singing section were good to start with but the team didn't give us much to cheer/sing about) and don't think we've played particularly well at home yet other than the 1st half against Ross County (might be forgetting another time).
    Apparently there was 15k + at yesterday’s game. Certainly didn’t look like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    That’s what I think too. Boyle is the only player that I feel can get me off my seat. Boring days.
    I don't necessarily disagree or agree with you on this but considering how well our general results have been this season i've found it surprising that when restrictions on fans were lifted the big crowds haven't seemed to flock back even just for the sake of it on one of the first few games. Even when we had the Europa Conference games with the smaller crowds I don't think we sold them out very well? Just seems to be a real apathy from a lot of people for the club at the moment.

Maybe it's because we're not exactly an entertaining team, maybe others want to see the signings made to justify them going and the transfer window put some people off, maybe the rest think we should be in Hearts' position instead. I honestly don't know. Yesterday certainly won't have helped increase numbers for the next few games at least.

@hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar
    The atmosphere hasn’t been great at all this season at home I would agree. I sit on the other end of the east from the singing section and didn’t really hear much pre-match or before the goals. One thing that seems more common that i’m guilty of as well is just clapping along to the songs instead of singing.

Don’t really have any answers to improve it, was impressed with Utd yesterday and also when we visited Motherwell. I suppose one thing they have in common is that they are exceeding expectations this season. We haven’t had a OF team or hearts at home yet this season so hopefully we will see an improvement when we have Celtic under the floodlights next.

Dundee United created an atmosphere for their fans by working hard, consistently getting the basics right and playing at a decent tempo.
    Yesterday when the passing in general was poor were basically relying on 3 players to try and get things going, Doig, Murphy and as usual Boyle.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Barely any players to get excited by. I would say a fair amount turned up to ER through some kind of duty. Who actually turns up to ER expecting to be entertained at the moment? I unfortunately do not. Boyle's runs are about all I genuinely get excited by, the rest is percentage football and a borefest.

Rightly or wrongly a sizeable number of Hibs fans want to see fast free flowing attacking football where the team takes risks. That's something that rarely happens these days. Happened more under Stubbs and Lennon.

This style of football will struggle to get bums on seats shortly. Nevermind bums off seats in excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree or agree with you on this but considering how well our general results have been this season i've found it surprising that when restrictions on fans were lifted the big crowds haven't seemed to flock back even just for the sake of it on one of the first few games. Even when we had the Europa Conference games with the smaller crowds I don't think we sold them out very well? Just seems to be a real apathy from a lot of people for the club at the moment.

Maybe it's because we're not exactly an entertaining team, maybe others want to see the signings made to justify them going and the transfer window put some people off, maybe the rest think we should be in Hearts' position instead. I honestly don't know. Yesterday certainly won't have helped increase numbers for the next few games at least.
    Think I saw someone mention on another thread that we were told, a lot, last year that it would feel different when we were back in the ground (in relation to the criticisms about style of play etc). The way it is at ER at the moment, in terms of empty seats and general atmosphere, suggests otherwise. Like you, it’s not quite been what I expected since we got back. Probably a bit different away from home.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weegreenman View Post
    Easter Road is like a library these days. Anyone who denies this is simply kidding themselves on and are doing the club no favours.

We need some radical changes for the better. If people have to be moved, so be it. Something needs to give.

The solution is obvious I think - lower section of the famous five should be turned into the singing section, directly behind the goal. Longer term it should be safe standing.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post

I think we will find that a lot of people will have fallen out of the habit and it will be a while before they get back into it.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Barely any players to get excited by. I would say a fair amount turned up to ER through some kind of duty. Who actually turns up to ER expecting to be entertained at the moment? I unfortunately do not. Boyle's runs are about all I genuinely get excited by, the rest is percentage football and a borefest.

Rightly or wrongly a sizeable number of Hibs fans want to see fast free flowing attacking football where the team takes risks. That's something that rarely happens these days. Happened more under Stubbs and Lennon.

This style of football will struggle to get bums on seats shortly. Nevermind bums off seats in excitement.
    I'm definitely turning up out of duty and Boyle is usually the difference between us winning and losing.

Hibs especially at home should be setting the tempo right from the start, nowadays it is 18 passes to get back to where we started passing the ball along the back line before
    before either telegraphing a pass out wide or launching a long ball forward in hope.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post

The solution is obvious I think - lower section of the famous five should be turned into the singing section, directly behind the goal. Longer term it should be safe standing.
    This is ultimately what needs to happen imo. Can be moved to the east where lots of the young lads currently are and it would look phenomenal on tv.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Key West View Post
    I'm definitely turning up out of duty and Boyle is usually the difference between us winning and losing.

Hibs especially at home should be setting the tempo right from the start, nowadays it is 18 passes to get back to where we started passing the ball along the back line before
    before either telegraphing a pass out wide or launching a long ball forward in hope.
    We really miss Porto as well. He's always the one to fire a pass into feet through the middle of the park. Without him I agree it's boring pedestrian stuff that's so easy to defend against. No wonder we're quiet.

Left by mutual consent!

I agree, although I’d go even further. Why not make that whole end the singing section.
    It works for away teams at the other end. Rangers, Celtic and Hearts all generate a brilliant atmosphere.
    It can be done.
    A few noses will be put out of joint but this is for the greater good of the club.

I’d also like to see us close of either a section at either end of the east or maybe even cut it off three quarters of the way up.
    We could open these sections up to walk ups if need be.
    This way, there won’t be big gaps everywhere.

I know this will attract negativity but something needs to give.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar

The solution is a football team that don’t send you to sleep.

The singing section is just fine where it is but the fans had zero effort to back yesterday.

You can’t expect a good atmosphere or fans willing their team on when in the mangers words the players are simply ‘lazy’.

I know it’s a bit chicken and egg when it comes to fans backing the players and players giving the fans something to back. But when the performance on the pitch is so flat then what chance does anyone have in creating an atmosphere.

I’m 100% sure that if the players start giving the fans a few morsels then the atmosphere will be absolutely fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    We really miss Porto as well. He's always the one to fire a pass into feet through the middle of the park. Without him I agree it's boring pedestrian stuff that's so easy to defend against. No wonder we're quiet.
    Whatever people think of Porteous he wears his heart on his sleeve. I want to see passionate players giving their all for 90 minutes regardless of the scoreline, what you put into practice serves you well for the next game. I saw a glimpse of that in the 3-2 win at Motherwell.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post

The singing section is just fine where it is but the fans had zero effort to back yesterday.

You can’t expect a good atmosphere or fans willing their team on when in the mangers words the players are simply ‘lazy’.

I know it’s a bit chicken and egg when it comes to fans backing the players and players giving the fans something to back. But when the performance on the pitch is so flat then what chance does anyone have in creating an atmosphere.

I’m 100% sure that if the players start giving the fans a few morsels then the atmosphere will be absolutely fine.
    I’ve been to quite a few stadiums all over Europe were the supporters are loud and still bouncing whether they are winning or losing.

I agree the team needs to do better but we as supporters can do better and it starts by having a whole stand that everyone knows as our singing section.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar

I agree that of course performances can help the atmosphere, but what about the atmosphere also helping performances?

Really cant agree that the singing section is fine where it is - too few people lost amongst a big stand.

The Famous five looks great when full - atmosphere is not just about noise, its visual too - having a singing section up and out the way totally limits the atmosphere they can create. The famous five is the stand that people see on the telly, its where the fans should be drawing the ball into the net. The FF looked pathetic yesterday though.

I’ve been to quite a few stadiums all over Europe were the supporters are loud and still bouncing whether they are winning or losing.

I agree the team needs to do better but we as supporters can do better and it starts by having a whole stand that everyone knows as our singing section.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Think I saw someone mention on another thread that we were told, a lot, last year that it would feel different when we were back in the ground (in relation to the criticisms about style of play etc). The way it is at ER at the moment, in terms of empty seats and general atmosphere, suggests otherwise. Like you, it’s not quite been what I expected since we got back. Probably a bit different away from home.
    I felt different in the ground to watching on TV. Probably more pissed off , but i can imagine how bad that would have been to watch on TV yesterday.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Some atmosphere at the Newcastle game for obvious reasons

1-0 The Toon

1-1

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    The atmosphere is almost always rubbish against the teams we’ve played so far. We’ve not had a big game at home yet. Yesterday had potential for a decent atmosphere with Utd bringing a good noisy support, but the team capitulated. The Celtic game will see a decent atmosphere return.

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    The atmosphere is almost always rubbish against the teams we’ve played so far. We’ve not had a big game at home yet. Yesterday had potential for a decent atmosphere with Utd bringing a good noisy support, but the team capitulated. The Celtic game will see a decent atmosphere return.
    Painting over the cracks mate. Even the Edinburgh Derby at Easter Road is as poor an atmosphere as I’ve seen for many a year.

As has already been said, I think the whole famous five should be given over to supporters who are committed and want to go the extra mile to create not just an atmosphere but an electric atmosphere, one that we can all get behind and hoped it transcends down on to the pitch to our players.
    It can be done. Jist look at some of the displays we’ve seen in the FF. They have been outstanding.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Painting over the cracks mate. Even the Edinburgh Derby at Easter Road is as poor an atmosphere as I’ve seen for many a year.

As has already been said, I think the whole famous five should be given over to supporters who are committed and want to go the extra mile to create not just an atmosphere but an electric atmosphere, one that we can all get behind and hoped it transcends down on to the pitch to our players.
    It can be done. Jist look at some of the displays we’ve seen in the FF. They have been outstanding.
    Yer dreaming if you think you could get the whole of the FF full of fans that will sing and generate an atmosphere regardless of how the team are playing.

It’s nothing to do with where the singing section is now.

It’s all to do with the fact that in general we simply don’t have any serious numbers of supporters that will turn up and do what you want regardless.

We do though have a support that’s capable of generating an atmosphere but they need a team on the pitch to give something to enable that.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    The pedestrian way we start games at home, sets the tone I’m afraid.
    It kills the atmosphere stone dead.

Left by mutual consent!
    Yer dreaming if you think you could get the whole of the FF full of fans that will sing and generate an atmosphere regardless of how the team are playing.

It’s nothing to do with where the singing section is now.

It’s all to do with the fact that in general we simply don’t have any serious numbers of supporters that will turn up and do what you want regardless.

We do though have a support that’s capable of generating an atmosphere but they need a team on the pitch to give something to enable that.
    I disagree. However I don’t think it’ll happen with the best will in the world. Far too many Hibs supporters who lack any vision and are happy to carry on regardless. Shame really.