hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Ufc

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

Ufc

I just don’t get it. I’ve been watching it all night tonight and it’s a dreadful spectacle. So many people I know absolutely love it but I’m not seeing what they are. Most of the time it’s grappling on the deck.

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

I agree with you. I watched it for a while but didn't stick with it. Watching fighters grappling on the deck is no more interesting to me than watching boxers who hug their opponent for 12 rounds.

That said, like boxing, sometimes you get that explosive finish and I've certainly seen heavy hitters that prefer to stay on their feet.

Over the piece though I'd agree. Cagey. Standoffish. Lots of grappling.

Starting to get into it a bit, and if you're looking for sportsman with personality, look no further than Paddy Pimblett. Love him or loathe him, he'll raise the sports profile and get people watching.
    Interesting card tomorrow but Pimblett v Leavitt is the main attraction. Leavitt is just as big a character but in a different way and is being underestimated. 5/1 for a submission win looks big to me.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Yeah I am in the same can’t get into it give me a boxing fight any day other a the grabbing nonsense

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    I quite like it. Prefer boxing. Paul Craig from Coatbridge is currently on. A brilliant submission fighter. He’s been in a bit of bother in the first round though.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Goldy better be getting tested after this, no danger is she natural

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Another ****er of a knockout by Meatball though

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Goldy better be getting tested after this, no danger is she natural
    Her arms are bigger than my legs.

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I just don’t get it. I’ve been watching it all night tonight and it’s a dreadful spectacle. So many people I know absolutely love it but I’m not seeing what they are. Most of the time it’s grappling on the deck.

Bit late to the thread here, but as someone with close I 100 published combat sport articles I'd say MMA is my speciality in knowledge sense.

It truly depends on what card you happen to watch. Sometimes you get a card with grapplers vs strikers all the way through, and unfortunately there's usually only one way that goes. 15 minutes of holding them down, on the other hand you will get a card stacked with Muay Thai, Kickboxing and Boxers all the way through with nasty head kick KO's, spinning sh*t(as Nick Diaz says) and straight up slugfests.

The UFC is as big as ever, however recently the cards have been about as up and down as possible.

In terms of grappling, there's 2 main types. One is boring to watch but damn effective, the other is equally as effective and straight-up cool as anything to watch. Two good BJJ players going against each other is about as fun to watch as it gets, even for guys that prefer striking(my dad hates grappling but loves watching good BJJ guys scramble) as Wrestling will look to take you down and nulify you.

BJJ guys tend to be pretty funny to watch. They won't defend punches as much as if you knock them down, cool, they'll just choke you out or rip a limb off if you follow them down. And when it hits the mat, they have one goal. Finish the fight. Wrestlers don't have submissions in college wrestling etc so they have great takedowns and immaculate control but a lack of urgency to finish the fight.

Look out for the likes of Charles Oliveira(probably the coolest guy to watch currently), Dustin Poirier, Justin Gaethje, Michael Chandler, Shane Burgos, Edson Barboza, Michel Pereira, Alex Pereira, Petr Yan, Marlon "Chito" Vera, Jose Aldo, Jiri Prochazka, Paolo Costa, Alex Volkanovski, Max Holloway, Cory Sandhagen and Brian Ortega.

For anyone looking to get into the sport but not wanting to deal with watching grappling, that's a list of guys above that are in outstanding fights effectively every single time. Gaethje, Oliveira and Poirier especially. Those 3 have never been in a boring fight.

Quote Originally Posted by cameronw-hfc View Post
    Bit late to the thread here, but as someone with close I 100 published combat sport articles I'd say MMA is my speciality in knowledge sense.

It truly depends on what card you happen to watch. Sometimes you get a card with grapplers vs strikers all the way through, and unfortunately there's usually only one way that goes. 15 minutes of holding them down, on the other hand you will get a card stacked with Muay Thai, Kickboxing and Boxers all the way through with nasty head kick KO's, spinning sh*t(as Nick Diaz says) and straight up slugfests.

The UFC is as big as ever, however recently the cards have been about as up and down as possible.

In terms of grappling, there's 2 main types. One is boring to watch but damn effective, the other is equally as effective and straight-up cool as anything to watch. Two good BJJ players going against each other is about as fun to watch as it gets, even for guys that prefer striking(my dad hates grappling but loves watching good BJJ guys scramble) as Wrestling will look to take you down and nulify you.

BJJ guys tend to be pretty funny to watch. They won't defend punches as much as if you knock them down, cool, they'll just choke you out or rip a limb off if you follow them down. And when it hits the mat, they have one goal. Finish the fight. Wrestlers don't have submissions in college wrestling etc so they have great takedowns and immaculate control but a lack of urgency to finish the fight.

Look out for the likes of Charles Oliveira(probably the coolest guy to watch currently), Dustin Poirier, Justin Gaethje, Michael Chandler, Shane Burgos, Edson Barboza, Michel Pereira, Alex Pereira, Petr Yan, Marlon "Chito" Vera, Jose Aldo, Jiri Prochazka, Paolo Costa, Alex Volkanovski, Max Holloway, Cory Sandhagen and Brian Ortega.

For anyone looking to get into the sport but not wanting to deal with watching grappling, that's a list of guys above that are in outstanding fights effectively every single time. Gaethje, Oliveira and Poirier especially. Those 3 have never been in a boring fight.

You missed Adesanya from your list of exciting fighters?!

;)

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDoidge View Post

;)
    Would also chuck in Khamzat Chimaev

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Try One Championship if its stand and bang you're after. Probably the best collective of Muay Thai fighters on the planet.

5 rounds, wee gloves, stand up or get out.

All free to watch on the One Championship Youtube or Fb pages

https://youtu.be/ZzKeTIZy6mY

MMA is cool, but a different sport entirely and it tends to swing between striking and grappling for who's got the best strategy for winning MMA fights. Grappling has had it for a while, minus a few incredible strikers who can finish before getting taken down

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Usman v Edwards tonight.
    Can't see past Usman but Edwards is hard as nails.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

;)
    He's not been exciting in a few years now. Biggest myth in the sport 😂. Good fighter though, he's too comfortable just coasting.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    Usman v Edwards tonight.
    Can't see past Usman but Edwards is hard as nails.
    This is the hardest matchup for him. Usman relies a lot on the clinch for his TDs, Leon is the best clinch striker in the sport. He's also the better striker and their first fight was Usmans hardest match up until he met Colby.

Got a sneaky feeling Leon does it, styles make fights and Leons is a hard style for Usman.

I'd also say for anyone looking in, try catch Jose Aldo tonight. One of the top 2/3 of all time in the sport, 10 years undefeated, 6 as champion, and 15 years since his pro debut and he's somehow in another number one contender fight tonight in the most stacked division. A legend if there ever was one.

So much so, Jon Anik(main commentator) tweeted about how the only fighter he gets starstruck around is Jose, and when he was brought out at the press conference the rest of the fighters on the card applauded him out, a very rare occurrence. Probably the most unanimously respected fighter ever.
    Last edited by cameronw-hfc; 20-08-2022 at 08:14 PM.

Ooft. Edwards is the champion Knock-out.

People might have opinions on joe rogan but he is up there with the greatest sporting pundits ever imo.

People might have opinions on joe rogan but he is up there with the greatest sporting pundits ever imo.
    I disagree, he's been pretty awful recently. The UFC commentary desk has come in for a lot of criticism recently and Joe screaming "OH, HES HURT" after a shot that barely lands, or last night being adamant an illegal strike landed on the chest until he seen the 2/3 relays blatantly showing it hit the head, I liked him, but his times long gone now.

Him and DC have become almost impossible to listen to on the broadcast recently.

In fairness, at least he does his research unlike DC.

Him and DC being shut up with their disrespectful "he's resigned himself to losing" bull when Leon got the KO was brilliant. Leon didn't look for one second like he just accepted a loss, whenever he was taken down he worked back to his feet, he didn't open up on the feet as much because of the fear of being taken back down if he overextended, not because he just gave up like Joe and DC insinuated.
    Last edited by cameronw-hfc; 22-08-2022 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cameronw-hfc View Post
    I disagree, he's been pretty awful recently. The UFC commentary desk has come in for a lot of criticism recently and Joe screaming "OH, HES HURT" after a shot that barely lands, or last night being adamant an illegal strike landed on the chest until he seen the 2/3 relays blatantly showing it hit the head, I liked him, but his times long gone now.

Him and DC have become almost impossible to listen to on the broadcast recently.

In fairness, at least he does his research unlike DC.

Him and DC being shut up with their disrespectful "he's resigned himself to losing" bull when Leon got the KO was brilliant. Leon didn't look for one second like he just accepted a loss, whenever he was taken down he worked back to his feet, he didn't open up on the feet as much because of the fear of being taken back down if he overextended, not because he just gave up like Joe and DC insinuated.
    The stock shocked look when there is a knockout is cringy too.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    The stock shocked look when there is a knockout is cringy too.
    Yeah the first few times were genuine, now you can tell he's been told to act as shocked as he can.

Demetrius Johnson, in my opinion, and many others, the greatest and most skilled fighter to ever live has avenged his only KO loss, got dropped and Kneed in the loss, just dropped his opponent and kneed him to KO him to claim the ONE championship title.

Most consecutive title wins in the UfC, done things absolutely nobody in the sport could even dream of doing technique-wise and has just KO'd what is effectively a Welterweight whilst fighting at Flyweight. 5ft5 vs 5ft 10 and he's just KO'd him. In my opinion Khabib, Jon Jones and GSP etc can only dream of the career DJ has had. Regardless of any opinion, he's objectively top 5 of all time, in my opinion, the greatest. Truly insane fighter

First Team Breakthrough
    Pound for pound DJ is up there as one of the best MMA fighters of all time.

Loved the KO. Rocked him, walked him down, flying knee.

Seen Thai fights stopped if a fighter looks that dizzy though, so maybe the ref could've been a little quicker to stop the additional collision damage from the knee. Appreciate that MMA can go to the ground though, so it's not as if you can be counted.

Quote Originally Posted by DinkyTwo View Post
    Pound for pound DJ is up there as one of the best MMA fighters of all time.

Loved the KO. Rocked him, walked him down, flying knee.

Seen Thai fights stopped if a fighter looks that dizzy though, so maybe the ref could've been a little quicker to stop the additional collision damage from the knee. Appreciate that MMA can go to the ground though, so it's not as if you can be counted.

Thing that impressed me is when Moraes beat DJ, he rocked him and then finished with a knee. DJ last night reversed it, rocked him and finished him with a knee. I think he's the most skilled for sure, in my opinion overall the greatest but a lot of people assume because he's smaller and hasn't had the same "big name" opponents it means his wins are vs lower level guys, but most of his title opponents have been absurdly talented people that unfortunately just didn't have the same promotion as some of the bigger guys.

Brutal flying knee KO for Bonfim vs Mckinney there. Huge debut vs a talented up-and-comer.