hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Post of the day, hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    No chance we will comfortably finish 3rd. Not a hope in hell unless we get rid of the non triers. Any midfield in the top 2 leagues in Scotland would get get the better of a midfield containing Allan and Newell who seem more interested in making sure their hair is in place than getting wired in.
    I remember people saying things like this last season after a bad result and we comfortably finished 3rd.

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

The sooner Porto's back the better. Get that defence to work.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    The sooner Porto's back the better. Get that defence to work.
    Think we missed mcginn yesterday as well, defence just didnt work

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Hatrick View Post
    We’re not in the top four so I’m not sure how you can say that in such a matter of fact way. We were a top 3 team last season and above average. Our results this season though would suggest we’re not as good a team this season.

We’re currently sitting in that mid table area outside the top 4. That’s pretty average to me.
    So the 16 months or whatever that we’ve spent in the top 4 are cancelled out by the one week that we’re 5th.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    So the 16 months or whatever that we’ve spent in the top 4 are cancelled out by the one week that we’re 5th.
    Last seasons results have no bearing on this season.

This season we’re fifth. This season I think we look an average team. Our results and performances reflect that imo.

As I’ve said previously, we were a much better than average team last season. That was last season though, not this season. I’m sure you wouldn’t have been in a hurry to accept the argument we weren’t that good last season if people decided to throw the 19/20 results to bring last seasons down in the same way you’re doing to bring this seasons up.
    Last edited by Perfect Hatrick; 17-10-2021 at 09:35 AM.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Aye league table doesn't lie, but only as soon as we drop down a few positions.

It must have been slavering when we were in the top 4 for 15 months, cause we're a bang average mid table side under Ross.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    Aye league table doesn't lie, but only as soon as we drop down a few positions.

It must have been slavering when we were in the top 4 for 15 months, cause we're a bang average mid table side under Ross.
    It’s mental. Selective as anything.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Last seasons results have no bearing on this season.

This season we’re fifth. This season I think we look an average team. Our results and performances reflect that imo.

As I’ve said previously, we were a much better than average team last season. That was last season though, not this season. I’m sure you wouldn’t have been in a hurry to accept the argument we weren’t that good last season if people decided to throw the 19/20 results to bring last seasons down in the same way you’re doing to bring this seasons up.
    We’ve been one day outside the top 4 this season.

If we beat Aberdeen next week are we back to being a top 4 team for the season again if that’s where the result puts us?

We can only assess our level week to week now?

Absolute nonsense.

If we beat Aberdeen next week are we back to being a top 4 team for the season again if that’s where the result puts us?

Absolute nonsense.
    We could be 35 weeks in the top 3 and finish 6th at the end of the season. That wouldn’t make us a top 3 team though.

Im not sure how using our current position in the league as an indicator as to how good we currently are can be described as nonsense but using historical league positions, the vast majority of which actually come from a totally different season as an indicator as to how good we currently are which is what you’re doing isn’t nonsense.

We’re in our current position because of our results throughout the whole season so far. They’ve all combined to put us 5th. That to me gives us an idea of how good we currently are a lot more than where we were last season or where we were 3 weeks ago.
    Last edited by Perfect Hatrick; 17-10-2021 at 09:55 AM.

We could be 35 weeks in the top 3 and finish 6th at the end of the season. That wouldn’t make us a top 3 team though.

Im not sure how using our current position in the league as an indicator as to how good we currently are can be described as nonsense but using historical league positions, the vast majority of which actually come from a totally different season as an indicator as to how good we are which is what you’re doing isn’t nonsense.
    Because you have to take the average position. You are choosing one week out the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Because you have to take the average position. You are choosing one week out the season.
    Our current position is our average position. It’s how a league table works.

It takes every teams results over the whole season, allocates points based on those results and then places the teams.

You seem to want a ‘mode’ position.
    Last edited by Perfect Hatrick; 17-10-2021 at 10:00 AM.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Im not sure how using our current position in the league as an indicator as to how good we currently are can be described as nonsense but using historical league positions, the vast majority of which actually come from a totally different season as an indicator as to how good we currently are which is what you’re doing isn’t nonsense.

We’re in our current position because of our results throughout the whole season so far. They’ve all combined to put us 5th. That to me gives us an idea of how good we currently are a lot more than where we were last season or where we were 3 weeks ago.
    So we go into the top 4 next week again you’ll be here telling everyone we’re a top 4 side?

Superb.

So we go into the top 4 next week again you’ll be here telling everyone we’re a top 4 side?

Superb.
    If we go up to Aberdeen next week and get a positive result then that’ll definitely give more optimism in terms of being more than an average team, yes. Likewise if we beat Celtic in the league or Rangers in the cup. Nobody is saying we can’t improve into a good side.

We can only really base our opinions at this point in time on games that have been played though and not on hypothetical future results.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Got some stick on here for saying that Ross was only a defeat away from getting pelters from a section of folk on here but it’s absolutely true.

Now we’ve got folk who’ve held fire for the very moment we drop out the top 4 to shout about how we’re a bang average mid-table side.

The table doesn’t lie etc.

We were honking yesterday, and if i watched that game in isolation I’d say we were relegation fodder. We’re obviously not relegation fodder so I’m not going to start shouting that we are.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

If we go up to Aberdeen next week and get a positive result then that’ll definitely give more optimism in terms of being more than an average team, yes. Likewise if we beat Celtic in the league or Rangers in the cup. Nobody is saying we can’t improve.

We can only really base our opinions at this point in time on games that have been played though and not on hypothetical future results.
    So folk saying we’ve no chance of top 3 are talking crap then?

So folk saying we’ve no chance of top 3 are talking crap then?
    Of course they’re talking crap. I’d suspect they’d also acknowledge that they’re talking crap seeing as we quite clearly do have a chance of top 3 at this point in the season. If you’re reading people saying we’ve no chance of top 3 as meaning it is an actual impossible feat though then I’d suggest you’re taking things all a bit too literally.
    Last edited by Perfect Hatrick; 17-10-2021 at 10:16 AM.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Of course they’re talking crap. I’d suspect they’d also acknowledge that they’re talking crap seeing as we quite clearly do have a chance of top 3 at this point in the season. If you’re reading people saying we’ve no chance of top 3 then I’d suggest you’re taking things all a bit too literally.

That’s a great out, when the point is nonsense someone’s just taken it too literally.

On the forum the other day we had folk posting dictionary definitions of their wording to try and support their point when folk picked holes in it, I’m confused as to when to take something literally and when not to now.

Which parts of your posts did you really mean and which ones should not be taken literally?

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    One of the reasons we finished 3rd was due to the poor quality of the league. We thought we'd improved this season (well I did anyway) but that was short-lived until injuries kicked in. The teams around us have all improved. We're now back to square one again, slow, lethargic and predictable.

A league season is a marathon, not a sprint. We'll be absolutely fine over the course, especially as our many injured players return. Talk of 7th or 8th is laughable

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    A league season is a marathon, not a sprint. We'll be absolutely fine over the course, especially as our many injured players return. Talk of 7th or 8th is laughable
    You say that but some of the games haven’t been played yet…

That’s a great out, when the point is nonsense someone’s just taken it too literally.

On the forum the other day we had folk posting dictionary definitions of their wording to try and support their point when folk picked holes in it, I’m confused as to when to take something literally and when not to now.

Which parts of your posts did you really mean and which ones should not be taken literally?
    What posts?

This is really quite a futile debate. I’ll leave you to post your emojis.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

What posts?

This is really quite a futile debate. I’ll leave you to post your emojis.
    You’ve taken me too literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    One of the reasons we finished 3rd was due to the poor quality of the league. We thought we'd improved this season (well I did anyway) but that was short-lived until injuries kicked in. The teams around us have all improved. We're now back to square one again, slow, lethargic and predictable.
    I don’t think that’s fair on our achievements last season.

I would agree though that the league looks better this season.

We finished 3rd because we were the 3rd best team. We're clearly not back to square one.

Anything positive is always due to everyone else being rubbish. It’s a really odd outlook and a strange way to support a team.

Absolute nonsense.
    I can comfortably predict after the shocking performance yesterday that we could be in the top, middle or bottom four come the end of the season.

First Team Breakthrough
    Didn't see the game yesterday but generally speak, I haven't seen an improvement in our game off the ball under Ross. Modern football now is about high work rate, high pressing and generally not giving centre backs any time on the ball.

We don't ever seem to do this - happy to give the opposition the ball and we often pay the price. Not good enough.

As for individuals, I think the squad is more than good enough albeit a bit light up front. Newell, JDH, Maginnes, Allan, Murphy. All high level SPL footballers. Quality is not the issue - it's the less obvious bits which let us down.

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    It's probably not relevant to this thread but it's also not worth a thread of it's own.

Anyway I stumbled across a couple of videos on Twitter of Celtic fans reaction towards their manager at FT yerterday. By their standards they have not had a good start to the season. Already trailing Rangers, lost the derby, out the CL, struggling in the Europa League etc etc. Yet their manager got a huge ovation from them and the general feel I get is that they really like him.

Part of that is they know they have a huge rebuild on and their anger is aimed elsewhere. Equally though his attacking, exciting style resonates with them. They love the energy of their team and they love the 'if you score 1 goal, we' ll score 2' mentality. I think fans will forgive a lot if they are entertained.

That's one thing I rarely feel watching Hibs these days. More often than not I'm satisfied with the result and ultimately you can't put up much of an argument against the manager when that is the case. I struggle to find much enthusiasm though as I find us utterly boring most of the time. It's functional football with Martin Boyle being one bright spark and Scott Allan occasionally turning the clock back.

As long as it works and we get results the grumbling will remain an undercurrent, flaring up a bit more after days like yesterday, but the majority will remain onside even if in cases like mine it:s a bit grudging. If we lose a few in a row and drop a couple of places in the table I don't think it will take much for a fair few to turn. You heard the reaction towards the end of the game yesterday and that was from people who had both bothered to turn up in the 1st place and then stayed long after a huge majority had walked out.
    Bang on Pretty.

Exactly how I feel and it’s now getting to a sad stage where I might stop giving this team as much time as I’m currently giving.

It’s a bit of a chore watching this side, win, lose or draw.

Testimonial Due
    We’re an average team in Scottish football terms imo.

Without significant strengthening in January we’ll finish somewhere around mid table and we’ll certainly not be third again.
    I recall reading this sort of thing last season after some of our bad defeats. I had an exchange of posts with someone saying we would finish 7th. Proper knee jerk reaction stuff.
    Last edited by HFC93; 17-10-2021 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    We disagree on the definition of sublime. Our play is generally one paced and we require moments of magic from Boyle more often than not.

Rational? Paying hard earned money to watch your football team play in yesterday's manner and not be absolutely raging? Why isn't that rational? All our players and our manager didn't turn up. That's a disgrace all round, nevermind at home.

You know what was irrational, I sat and waited for the final whistle. The rational ones left when the 3rd goal went in.
    👍