hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott Allan

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar

Scott Allan

What was up with him today? Really bad performance, didn’t look fit or interested

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Certainly didnt look like he was fit today, going off at half time was definitely the right decision

I think we will just need to accept its probably over for him at this level now. Such a shame for the lad. So much ability.

Had a poor game. Like the 10 men around him at the time and the ones that came on after him.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Had a poor game. Like the 10 men around him at the time and the ones that came on after him.
    Yup, I kinda get the sub seeing as we were trailing one nil. But I think I'd always prefer Allan on the pitch over Scott. Poor game or not Allan can still provide something. Scott just doesn't look good enough unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Yup, I kinda get the sub seeing as we were trailing one nil. But I think I'd always prefer Allan on the pitch over Scott. Poor game or not Allan can still provide something. Scott just doesn't look good enough unfortunately.
    The irony of it was when they went 2-0 up we all of a sudden found ourselves with more space in some areas of the pitch, probably as they stepped back a bit to defend their lead or we somehow got the finger out (too late). And I think Allan would have had more success in those areas for us than Scott did in whatever areas he was told to play in.

That being said I agree I don't think Allan can have any complaints with coming off at half time.

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Bryce View Post
    I think we will just need to accept its probably over for him at this level now. Such a shame for the lad. So much ability.
    Bit much considering how he's played the few weeks before this. Scott has his ups and his downs, every poor game doesn't mean he's shot at this level. Are the other 10 done at this level?

Allan wasn’t trying. The only time he broke in to anything more than a light jog he knee’d Mulgrew in the back and gave away a stupid freekick. We only really had 1 sub worth using so something had to be done and Allan was the obvious candidate. If we’d had more options I think we might have seen a couple of changes at half time.

If he had a knock or something then fair enough but if that was the case then he shouldn’t have started.

Today was a great chance for him to show he deserves to stay in the team with Magennis out and he put in probably the worst 45 minutes I’ve seen from him in a Hibs shirt.

I thought he was played too far forward to have any impact

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bod View Post
    Definitely. That position is no good to him. He needs to be picking it up deeper. Having said that he was one of about half a dozen who were absolutely dreadful and couldn't have had any complaints.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by davhibby View Post
    Allan wasn’t trying. The only time he broke in to anything more than a light jog he knee’d Mulgrew in the back and gave away a stupid freekick. We only really had 1 sub worth using so something had to be done and Allan was the obvious candidate. If we’d had more options I think we might have seen a couple of changes at half time.

If he had a knock or something then fair enough but if that was the case then he shouldn’t have started.

Today was a great chance for him to show he deserves to stay in the team with Magennis out and he put in probably the worst 45 minutes I’ve seen from him in a Hibs shirt.
    Think he showed in the previous games he deserves to be considered though, surely? Assist for McGinn, assist for Newell and a goal against Dundee Utd.

He wasn't great today, in fact he was really poor. But to say he's not good enough any more is just mental. Doyle-Hayes was just as bad today but no one will say he isn't good enough.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Absolutely. He wasn’t great today but I have no idea why Ross persists in playing him so advanced.

@hibs.net private member
    Agree. Same as when he came on at Livingston. That said, he had a honker. Touch just wasn't right today.

I've not seen a more disjointed midfield than ours.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

He was poor but I'm not sure what was expected of him and Nisbet in that set up.

We had 2 midfielders trying to play the same role, sitting right on top of our defence and getting in a right mess against United's high press. We then had a 40 yard gap to Allan and another 10 yards to Nisbet.

They weren't the only ones to struggle with the set up. Wood and Cadden didn't click on the right and Murphy habitually ignored Doig for 90+ minutes.

Allan was one of 12 players who were varying levels of pish today.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Scott Allan on form wins us games. Off form he is a man missing. If he produced his on-form games consistently he’d be a loooooong way away from Hibs. Happy to write this game off and move on tbh.

Think he showed in the previous games he deserves to be considered though, surely? Assist for McGinn, assist for Newell and a goal against Dundee Utd.

He wasn't great today, in fact he was really poor. But to say he's not good enough any more is just mental. Doyle-Hayes was just as bad today but no one will say he isn't good enough.
    It’s the lack of effort that’s annoyed me today. I wasn’t sure if he’d be able to work his way back in to the side and as you say, he’s done that on merit over the last month with some good performances. If he’d just been poor today like the rest of the team fair enough but he didn’t look like he wanted to be there today.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Allan and Nisbet spent most of the first half arguing with each other. Nisbet looked frustrated at the lack of support he had up front and Allan didn’t look happy at being asked to play on his own behind him. It looked like they both threw the towel in as well which isn’t acceptable either.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    He was poor but I'm not sure what was expected of him and Nisbet in that set up.

We had 2 midfielders trying to play the same role, sitting right on top of our defence and getting in a right mess against United's high press. We then had a 40 yard gap to Allan and another 10 yards to Nisbet.

They weren't the only ones to struggle with the set up. Wood and Cadden didn't click on the right and Murphy habitually ignored Doig for 90+ minutes.

Allan was one of 12 players who were varying levels of pish today.
    Good summary. The issue for me is why can't the coaching staff see that Nisbet was getting completely isolated during a game and make a change in formation before the game is lost?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Absolutely. He wasn’t great today but I have no idea why Ross persists in playing him so advanced.
    It’s to try to paper over the fact that Nisbet is absolutely abysmal at playing up front on his own.

Getting players close to him makes it less obvious but on this occasion all we managed to do was to get Allan into a position where it was very difficult to get the ball to him as well.

I actually thought that Newell and JDH were at least as bad as Allan. JDH had his worst game for us by some distance today.

He's always has games where he's been rank

@hibs.net private member Benny Brazil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    Good summary. The issue for me is why can't the coaching staff see that Nisbet was getting completely isolated during a game and make a change in formation before the game is lost?
    For me Nisbet needs Doidge up front with him - Doidge can do the hard yards and batter the centre halves and Nisbet feeds off that - in saying that he really needs to up his workrate - he looked like he couldn't be bothered today

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovethehibs View Post
    Certainly didnt look like he was fit today, going off at half time was definitely the right decision
    It seemed like the right decision, in so far as that he was crap, but i don't think his replacement was any better.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Brazil View Post
    For me Nisbet needs Doidge up front with him - Doidge can do the hard yards and batter the centre halves and Nisbet feeds off that - in saying that he really needs to up his workrate - he looked like he couldn't be bothered today
    Definitely. Nisbet will only ever work in a two where he can get in behind the defence or pull away from Doidge to create space. He doesn't have the skill, intelligence or grit to play up on his own.

Really shows how important Doidge is to the team. New contact for the big man is needed ASAP

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Brazil View Post
    I agree. If Nisbet wants to improve and push himself into the Scotland 11 he needs to develop his game as 4-5-1 is a common set up these days.

Am I imagining it or did Nisbet not start up top on his own for the 1st 2 or 3 games and look a lot better than he does now?

He definitely started alone V Motherwell away and Rijeka at home.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Am I imagining it or did Nisbet not start up top on his own for the 1st 2 or 3 games and look a lot better than he does now?

I thought he did well at Motherwell but was poor against Rijeka.

Tbh I think I’m yet to see a good performance from him in the flesh (a few on tv last season).

I’m struggling to take to him tbh. Looks hopelessly over-rated and I’d be inclined to punt him as soon as a decent bid comes in. Doidge is a far better fit for what seems to be Jack Ross’ favoured formation and our strikers should probably have a skill set more like his than Nisbet’s.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    10-15 yards too high to be effective

But also thought his body language was poor today

@hibs.net private member

Agreed - I thought he looked good at the start of the season in that formation. Biggest difference to that side is Allan in for Magennis.

@hibs.net private member cameronw-hfc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Agreed - I thought he looked good at the start of the season in that formation. Biggest difference to that side is Allan in for Magennis.
    Nisbet fell away form-wise before the Allan switch. A few weeks ago, as far as I'm aware he's not been fully fit at all this season, and can't get fully fit as we need him playing + he's getting called up for Scotland and I think it shows.

I also think there is too many "attitude not right" "doesn't care" comments. Of course he cares, I can't make it to games but you can see on his face when he's making a mistake. Think his attitude is fine, his confidence may be absolutely shot though, and looks it.

In terms of Allan, I think he was just gash today. As he often is, but he's also often very very good, something a team like us need to deal with. If he was consistent he wouldn't have sat on Celtics reserves for a few year or been mapped out of WBA. Not a slight on Allan, but too much hysteria here. He's been class the last few weeks, today he wasn't, he's like that, nothing less nothing more imo.

First Team Breakthrough
    I think people saying Allan is finished is a bit of a lazy tag line he’s our most productive player in terms of assists and goals per mins. Put him in the right position make him feel wanted and give him the ball.

In comparison I’ve put down our midfield and forwards goals and assists per minute. Players played 10 or more games:

Allan scored or assist every 78mins
    Boyle 130mins
    Magennis 177mins
    Nisbet 180mins
    Murphy 300mins
    Newell 333mins
    Jdh no goals or assists in 1250mins

Scott Allan should absolutely be 1 of the 1st names on the team sheet week in week out getting the ball in the middle of the park and doing his thing.

*Stats from transfer market apologies for any inaccuracies*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk