hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Why Should Ryan be abused

Been reading about the abuse by the keyboard cowards aimed at Ryan. We all know which sets of fans are responsible. Perhaps managers of other teams should engage their brains before making comments, especially when you have made worse tackles in your career. Your comments make some idiots think that Ryan is fair game for abuse. Christ it's only a game of football. Police should be getting involved as they have done with racist comments made online.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Because time and again whether it be any flavour or hate crime, social media companies have been found wanting. Amnesty International did report in to treatment of women. Twitters CEO Dorsey? comments over the years admission they need to do better and have come up short rinse and repeat. It’s just not a priority. It needs taken out of their hands.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Been reading about the abuse by the keyboard cowards aimed at Ryan. We all know which sets of fans are responsible. Perhaps managers of other teams should engage their brains before making comments, especially when you have made worse tackles in your career. Your comments make some idiots think that Ryan is fair game for abuse. Christ it's only a game of football. Police should be getting involved as they have done with racist comments made online.
    If you are referring to SG, good luck with that one. SG must be up there with one of the most classless managers out there. He's well suited to the TRFC.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    If you are referring to SG, good luck with that one. SG must be up there with one of the most classless managers out there. He's well suited to the TRFC.
    Yes his comments and his actions relating to Ryan have shown a severe lack of class.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Football players much better than Ryan have been abused, in fact i've heard our own fans abuse our own players.

Good players rise above it and thrive, i'm pretty sure Ryan is a strong enough personality to do exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Football players much better than Ryan have been abused, in fact i've heard our own fans abuse our own players.

Good players rise above it and thrive, i'm pretty sure Ryan is a strong enough personality to do exactly that.
    Footballers are human beings and shouldn't have to 'rise above it'. No one, no matter what they do for a living, should be the target of such abuse.

Especially when targetted by cowards who hide behind a screen and spurt out their vile abuse.

Doesn't matter how strong someone is seen to be, this can have a severe impact on mental health.

I get the point about online abuse in general, but is Porteous really going to be crying into his cornflakes because of some online comments by fans of The Govan Bigots?

Rising above it is not a sign of a good player. It is nothing to do with ability. Plenty of extremely talented footballers have struggled massively with mental health issues due to the abuse they get. No one should have to rise above it.

Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    Footballers are human beings and shouldn't have to 'rise above it'. No one, no matter what they do for a living, should be the target of such abuse.

Especially when targetted by cowards who hide behind a screen and spurt out their vile abuse.

Doesn't matter how strong someone is seen to be, this can have a severe impact on mental health.
    Good luck stopping it Rae.

@hibs.net private member uwxm07's Avatar
    I tried to comment on the Times on line article about the abuse yesterday although my earlier posts, after receiving a number of likes ,were removed after complaints as being against the TOL policy ( I referred to Their “appalling” managers comments) although finally manage to get this published.
    The orcs were biting back at every point ( references to “The “ were poorly received as well )
    “My earlier point was the tackle was in no way as bad as it’s being labelled and manipulated by The Rangers controlled media . The influencing started with the crowd , continued with the managers comments post match , the sport scene pundits and the West coast media . Hibs appeal had no chance of a fair hearing whatsoever . Ryan has a good disciplinary record but has been red carded twice by the same referee for similar tackles both against The Rangers . Conspiracy ? What conspiracy it’s just we need to accept Scottish football is subject to an old firm influenced media which creates a poisonous atmosphere resulting in the abuse dolled out on Social media to anyone who dares to disagree”

I don't have the power to do that, but others do. Saying you just need to rise above it? That is the wrong approach.

No offence, but attitudes like that are one of the reasons suicide is the biggest killer of young men.

I came off Twitter for all these reasons, non stop vile hatred, homophobia, racism.

We can't even stop it on this site.
    Abuse of referees, players, managers and supporters of other teams is regularly posted on this site.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 16-10-2021 at 10:27 AM.

I don't have the power to do that, but others do. Saying you just need to rise above it? That is the wrong approach.

No offence, but attitudes like that are one of the reasons suicide is the biggest killer of young men.
    Away and bile yer heid man, he's a football player, football players get stick, they have done for years and years.

He will have to rise above it, he's quite happy to stand over Morelos and dig him out. He's stronger than any of this, he will rise above it, and no he wont commit suicide.

FFS is mental health now the go to disease whenever anyone is criticised?

The abuse that Ryan received will probably be water of a ducks back for him and won't bother him. You then get in to the issue of the social media allowing abuse online without censorship but that opens up another huge debate which is probably for the Holy Ground.
    The keyboard cowards should realise their can be consequences of their actions as there have been cases of people taking their own lives because of abuse online.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Away and bile yer heid man, he's a football player, football players get stick, they have done for years and years.

He will have to rise above it, he's quite happy to stand over Morelos and dig him out. He's stronger than any of this, he will rise above it, and no he wont commit suicide.

I think social media has changed the game. Players can get sent abuse at anytime, it’s not just during a match.

Mental health isn't a disease. People struggle with all kinds of battles mentally. This clearly is getting to Ryan because he literally said it in the reply to that journo. Its nothing to do with strength. You aren't weak if you struggle with anxiety, depression and such.

Saying he needs to rise above it is putting the responsibility on him to deal with it, when the responsiblity is actually on the persons who are giving him the abuse, and the authorities to deal with those persons.

Telling someone to kill themselves or calling them sectarian names etc isn't criticism. Its disgusting abuse.

I take it your shift at the Samaritans starts later?

He wasn't just criticised. He was held up for criticism on a national level by those who know better and subsequently subjected to horrific homophobic and sectarian abuse. He was told they wanted him to die. For some reason you are failing to see the difference between players facing up to each other, and fans having a bit if banter e.g. 'you're ****' and what has happened here

He most probably won't. But I imagine a lot of people who killed themselves had people say 'never thought this would happen'. Footballers have got stick for years, and a kot of it needs to change. Think the problems previously playwrs faced, and the consequences.

I'm sorry but your attitude stinks here.

I take it your shift at the Samaritans starts later?

He wasn't just criticised. He was held up for criticism on a national level by those who know better and subsequently subjected to horrific homophobic and sectarian abuse. He was told they wanted him to die. For some reason you are failing to see the difference between players facing up to each other, and fans having a bit if banter e.g. 'you're ****' and what has happened here

He most probably won't. But I imagine a lot of people who killed themselves had people say 'never thought this would happen'. Footballers have got stick for years, and a kot of it needs to change. Think the problems previously playwrs faced, and the consequences.

I'm sorry but your attitude stinks here.

Everyone knows there are people with mental health problems, but not everything that happens today has to be made out as if it is.

Left by mutual consent!

Everyone knows there are people with mental health problems, but not everything that happens today has to be made out as if it is.
    Not everyone will agree with you obviously but refreshing to see your point of view in this ever more sanitised and offended culture.

At that isn't what happens. But it is relevant here. Unless you are saying Jack Ross' is full of **** with his comments about player welfare and the consequences of the criticism and abuse shown towards Ryan.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I came off Twitter for all these reasons, non stop vile hatred, homophobia, racism.
    Likewise, there is no debate on Twitter, it's just slurs and name calling, with easily accessible bile, best avoided.

At that isn't what happens. But it is relevant here. Unless you are saying Jack Ross' is full of **** with his comments about player welfare and the consequences of the criticism and abuse shown towards Ryan.
    I have said for many years, dont believe a single word that comes out of ANY managers face. Ryan Porteous is one of those players who takes the piss out of everyone.

We are going down the road now where nobody can say anything without someone coming on here or any other social media and going on about how it affects their mental health.

I wonder how Bobby Moore and Jimmy hill managed to stay away from the paracetamol bottles.

I could pick out bits of post here on most threads that would insult one person or another.

You may as well shut down everything, as it's not going to change.

Ryan Porteous specifically referenced players mental health when he privately responded to a journo joining in the pile on. The journo subsequently made that private conversation public.

I think it's fair to say that makes it relevant here.

I have said for many years, dont believe a single word that comes out of ANY managers face. Ryan Porteous is one of those players who takes the piss out of everyone.

We are going down the road now where nobody can say anything without someone coming on here or any other social media and going on about how it affects their mental health.

I wonder how Bobby Moore and Jimmy hill managed to stay away from the paracetamol bottles.

I could pick out bits of post here on most threads that would insult one person or another.

So Jack Ross is a liar🤔

Pretty big difference between insulting someone and homophobic and sectarian abuse, and being told to kill yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    So Jack Ross is a liar🤔
    I think it would take me 2 minutes to find an untruth that Jack has said. I probably wont do so just incase it affects his mental health.

I think it would take me 2 minutes to find an untruth that Jack has said. I probably wont do so just incase it affects his mental health.
    What?????

🎣 😀

Trolling about mental health now. Good stuff.