hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Nathan Wood

Incredible how psychology has become so advanced and easy than any old punter can know that a guy has a ''billy big baws'' attitude based on 1 match.

Or maybe it is just a very lazy, ignorant judgement, based on nothing at all.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    My comments on Wood were a bit harsh with some reflection, I still think he underestimated the pace of the game and was trying World Cup passes that never came off.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My comments on Wood were a bit harsh with some reflection, I still think he underestimated the pace of the game and was trying World Cup passes that never came off.
    I think I'd rather he was trying some passes. Our absolutely woeful plan of passing to the fullbacks who were usually facing their own goal was causing us problems. Honestly think that is the most useless pass in football. Centre back to fullback who is facing his own goal, there is nothing he can do other than give it straight back. Our midfield we never making themselves available or really looking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I think I'd rather he was trying some passes. Our absolutely woeful plan of passing to the fullbacks who were usually facing their own goal was causing us problems. Honestly think that is the most useless pass in football. Centre back to fullback who is facing his own goal, there is nothing he can do other than give it straight back. Our midfield we never making themselves available or really looking for it.
    I don’t mind trying these things but to hoof 2 or 3 passes straight out the park was poor imo.

Wood wasn’t the worst on the park yesterday by any stretch but nobody had a good game.

@hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar
    I agree and made similar comments on another thread. It didn’t fall on the side of nerves for me as he didn’t seem frantic as you would if nervous. He dwelled on the ball a lot and took plenty of time to play the diagonals which didn’t work.

At the end of the day he played a part in what was a collective shocker where plenty of others were culpable. He seems highly rated and I don’t think anyone is completely writing him off but we can’t really view him with the same sympathy as we would with one of our own youth projects. He is here to do a job for us and on the evidence of yesterday he needs to buck up his ideas. If he starts against Aberdeen he will of course have my full support and hopefully he will have learned a great deal from his first taste of the league.

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    Incredible how psychology has become so advanced and easy than any old punter can know that a guy has a ''billy big baws'' attitude based on 1 match.

Or maybe it is just a very lazy, ignorant judgement, based on nothing at all.
    My rule of thumb is when someone uses a phrase like Billy Big Baws or Wage Thief what they are saying is guff for the reasons stated in you last sentence.

@hibs.net private member
    Okay, if anyone that watched yesterday’s game wanted to see how a top quality, seasoned pro, centre half should perform, all they had to do was watch Mulgrew. He oozed class and controlled everything that happened in the DU defence. I’m fact he controlled much of what happened across the pitch. He is the kind of leader we are crying out for.
    Instead, we have a 19 year old making his debut in enforced circumstances. He started really well and had a very assured first half. Made a couple of slips that he recovered from quickly and read the game well. They guy was playing alongside our own seasoned pro’s who were hardly setting the heather on fire and his game suffered in the second half.
    What then happens on here is an incredible assassination of the boy as a player with hardly a nod to the failures round about him.
    I liked what I saw of Woods yesterday and I firmly believe he will do a job for us. People need to get off his back, he made far fewer mistakes than his piers around him and actually looked like a player in that first half.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    That’s exceptionally harsh. This was a young lad making his debut on a day when most of his experienced team mates who should have been guiding him had a total stinker. I won’t be judging him on yesterday alone or questioning his attitude in any way. Let’s at least give him a decent chance.

While I was disappointed at times in his decision making, and thought his passing was very poor, I agree with this.

It was his first game for us, he looked nervous and that was compounded by the performance of his team-mates.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 18-10-2021 at 06:37 AM.

Thought Cadden’s lack of movement when Wood was looking to pass to him was dreadful. He made no effort to move to the ball and as a result a United player was usually arriving at the same time as the ball. The midfield of course just hid. Nobody made angles or attempted to create space for a player to come forward with the ball.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    That’s exceptionally harsh. This was a young lad making his debut on a day when most of his experienced team mates who should have been guiding him had a total stinker. I won’t be judging him on yesterday alone or questioning his attitude in any way. Let’s at least give him a decent chance.

Some of the posts on here are reactionary drivel.

He didn’t have a great game yesterday but it’s hard to shine when everyone in front of you is hiding. There was rarely a pass on for him or an out ball, he was seriously let down by the team.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Thought Cadden’s lack of movement when Wood was looking to pass to him was dreadful. He made no effort to move to the ball and as a result a United player was usually arriving at the same time as the ball. The midfield of course just hid. Nobody made angles or attempted to create space for a player to come forward with the ball.
    Both Cadden and Murphy to a lesser extent were very poor at making any forward movement.
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    Both Cadden and Murphy to a lesser extent were very poor at making any forward movement.
    Cadden looked like he had never played with his team mates before yesterday and maybe is better as a wing back and not as a traditional fullback?

It’s a bit self-important to make an announcement like this but I’ve deleted my previous, very ott and out of character comment.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

First game in Scotland and has to adjust to the pace up here, and you can tell he is a bit short of match experience and got caught out a couple of times but recovered fairly well. He will be a good player one day, just not at us.

It’s a bit self-important to make an announcement like this but I’ve deleted my previous, very ott and out of character comment.
    I wouldn’t worry about it. We are all passionate football fans here and we all go a bit OTT at times.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    My rule of thumb is when someone uses a phrase like Billy Big Baws or Wage Thief what they are saying is guff for the reasons stated in you last sentence.
    Very true. Two expressions that need a banning order.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzling Doidge View Post
    First game in Scotland and has to adjust to the pace up here, and you can tell he is a bit short of match experience and got caught out a couple of times but recovered fairly well. He will be a good player one day, just not at us.
    That being the case, then he shouldnt be anywhere near Hibs.

I have to say our record of employing players who are not match fit, visibly not good enough, carrying injuries or with a history of spending considerable time on the treatment table is getting irritating.

Our subs bench (and arguably a couple of the starters on Saturday) are demonstrable evidence of this poor recruitment.

Exasperating.............

Left by mutual consent!
    Admin are fond of deleting comments. If they didn't then it must have been fine.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    That being the case, then he shouldnt be anywhere near Hibs.

I have to say our record of employing players who are not match fit, visibly not good enough, carrying injuries or with a history of spending considerable time on the treatment table is getting irritating.

Our subs bench (and arguably a couple of the starters on Saturday) are demonstrable evidence of this poor recruitment.

Exasperating.............
    Whilst I acknowledge that this is partly true, we’ve just dropped out of the top 4 for the first time in yonks.

Given we were in the Championship for 3 years not that long ago, we must have also got a few right along the way too.

Upon signing, are the credentials for the failures obviously poorer than those for the likes of Martin Boyle?

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Whilst I acknowledge that this is partly true, we’ve just dropped out of the top 4 for the first time in yonks.

Given we were in the Championship for 3 years not that long ago, we must have also got a few right along the way too.

Upon signing, are the credentials for the failures obviously poorer than those for the likes of Martin Boyle?
    When MB was signed, we were running with a larger squad (iirc) and I dont think any of us had any expectation of him doing anything immediately.

Now, our thin squad means that any player arriving now needs to hit the ground running.............not hit the ground, hold their ankle and go straight to the treatment table

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post

Agree, and the two issues are connected. Cadden should have been much more proactive, driving forward into right midfield. This would have given Dundee Utd something else to think about and our midfielders another option.

As it was they were outnumbered and under the cosh.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post

He didn’t have a great game yesterday but it’s hard to shine when everyone in front of you is hiding. There was rarely a pass on for him or an out ball, he was seriously let down by the team.
    Agree with that. While he didn't have the best game himself and was lucky he wasn't caught on the ball he was significantly let down by team mates.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Agree with that. While he didn't have the best game himself and was lucky he wasn't caught on the ball he was significantly let down by team mates.
    Unfortunately for the lad it looks like Porteous and Hanlon are automatic picks and I don't think he's going to get many opportunities to prove himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    Admin are fond of deleting comments. If they didn't then it must have been fine.
    It was entirely up to me, I'm not one for defending points that I write and later change my mind on.

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    There's some truth in that Jim but I think its equally fair to say Wood let his teammates down and the manager who placed trust in him over McGregor.

I think McGregor will play alongside Hanlon this Saturday. If Wood does get another chance then fingers crossed for a massive improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post

Agree Matty. There was a lack of movement in general by more experienced players who made it easy to be closed down. Easy to make him a scapegoat but there was 6 or 7 who were worse than he was.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    That doesn’t reflect well on any party, really.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Another game like Dundee United, and I'm sure we will come to an arrangement.